Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The Kins posted:

I believe these are fairly old recordings? The guy's done stuff for other mods and there's better mic quality in those.

All I need is that Black Knight sample. :discourse: I fuckin love deaths that take entire minutes.

Also I'll take what I can get with am VA. At least it's not the VA from UTNT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just downloaded it, gonna give it a shot tonight. Also a good time to check for GZDoom updates.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Anyone figured out what the white diamonds (not mana gems) do in GMOTA? Everything else I get, but I seem to have capped out on diamond pickups ages ago and they're not spent for anything I can see.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

Lemon-Lime posted:

Anyone figured out what the white diamonds (not mana gems) do in GMOTA? Everything else I get, but I seem to have capped out on diamond pickups ages ago and they're not spent for anything I can see.

If you're playing as Lord Blaz they're ammo for the Fatal Draw ability. If you're playing as Doomslayer they're ammo for the inferno rifle (or whatever it's actually called, it's the one that gives you a text popup about it having an overheating mechanic the first time you pick one up.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Simon The Digger posted:

If you're playing as Lord Blaz they're ammo for the Fatal Draw ability.

Thanks - that hasn't dropped (or I didn't notice it drop and don't know how to use it), so that would explain why I'm not spending them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

I haven't found the maps in Amid Evil hard to navigate (they're quite nice) but I've found the combat design pretty lacking. Outside of soul power mode, it just doesn't feel fun to fight monsters, which in a game about fighting monsters seems like an odd mistake to make.

I've played a bit more of the game and I've gotten a pretty similar impression. I feel like (at least personally), there are a few reasons for this:

1. At higher difficulties (Hard & Evil) enemies are often faster than the player, and are especially resistant to being stunned; your weapons don't seem to have any real impact on enemies, and this results in fights where enemies will attack relentlessly until defeated. Basically, you don't feel powerful because enemies are generally either alive and attacking you, or dead.

2. It seems that most enemies want to get up in your face, regardless of their "role" (so even ranged opponents will try to close in on you and used their "ranged" attacks at melee distance, rather than supporting melee attackers from afar or behaving differently). There's no real strategy to fights beyond kiting enemies around town until they're defeated.

3. This may not be entirely fair (you should know what you're getting into when you buy a game inspired by Heretic/Hexen) but most of the weapons are just aesthetically "meh". The needle-shotgun-mace notwithstanding, it's just going to feel better to unload a double-barreled shotgun on something--to snap open the breach and eject smoking shells--than to use a scimitar to fling anemic green projectiles at your enemies. It's more satisfying to launch a 40mm grenade at something--to watch the magazine pop another shell into the chamber--than to fling giant explosive marbles out of a stick.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Amid Evil got an update, maybe this increased pain state chance will help with how the weapons feel

quote:

+New Planets
+Planets randomize a lot nicer now, you won't get the same planet twice.
+Earth shows up less frequently, so you can commit genoicde LESS.
+Voltride casts chain lightning on overkill now. (also a cool steely dan song)
+Axe will propel you like a boat if you're underwater and attack with soul mode activated. Because... why not.
+Frame cap silder can now go UNLIMITED(power!!!!)
+Weapon keys can be rebound.
+Reset to default should actually do something.
+Can change HUD message size in HUD options.
+Mana numbers on the hud gotta go fast now instead of slow
+Asynchronous saving added so speedrunners won't get angry at me. (no hitches on saving).
+Axe does 5 MORE DAMAGE, yay.
+Sword projectile does more damage on direct hit. Pass thru damage is the same.
+Some enemies will enter their pain state more often.
+Achievements should activate when you get level awards.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so how is GMOTA playing for people? it looks well put together and just the right amount of dumb fantasy bullshit to entertain me.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Lemon-Lime posted:

Has anyone played Hedon? It looks really cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqBD0W2ooyc

It's alright. Visually unique and has it's own character. Has its issues but it's worth a try.

haveblue posted:

Maybe they tied it to framerate and it wasn't that bad on 1994 hardware.

Yeah, the in-game cpu-based timer makes everything run extremely fast, including the bob. Also affects the rate of the enemy fireballs, kind of leading to fights involving you chill behind cover while everyone get accidently killer by the green shaolin.

But, the soundtrack is dope.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Johnny Joestar posted:

so how is GMOTA playing for people? it looks well put together and just the right amount of dumb fantasy bullshit to entertain me.

okay, i actually got around to trying this out myself and it's quite possibly one of the most well-realized mods i've ever played, up there with project brutality in terms of giving options that are all useful in their own way.

i think i like the doomslayer character more since he gets a variety of weapons that all feel pretty great to use, even if the 'main' character's playstyle is also really unique and fun. it's kind of a tossup, but i really enjoy the doomslayer's super shotgun replacement, the thunderbuss, so it kind of inches him ahead. the weird rocket launcher that can explode into ghosts is also pretty choice.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Guess I'll wait until 1.0 to try Hedon - thanks for the opinions.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Huh. What should I play while I wait for DOOM 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We23jlTe_nc

Guess I'll just play this DOOM 2.0 :getin:

MiniDoom was really fun, this one looks even better!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i like GMOTA a lot, it's up there with stuff like high plains drifter where it offers a really solid experience while being meaningfully different from stock doom. my only complaint so far is that the art styles of the pickups isnt consistent, sometimes its very cartoony, sometimes its more realistic looking. its a really petty complaint though.

i'm liking ion maiden a lot. it's nice to have a female protagonist who says one liners. usually female protags in games, rare as they are already, are very serious. it's very weird to be playing a modern game on build engine. even the best retro style fps games are usually built on newer tech, so ion maiden feels like someone reached into an alternate 1990s to find this game. the sprite work is really nice, there are a ton of secrets, the difficulty is obviously pretty intense as it is build engine, but it doesn't feel as annoying as blood or shadow warrior could be sometimes.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
single player addons, maps and mods are interactive fan fiction don't @ me

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Something something Death of the Author something.

Meanwhile, M210's Legally Questionable Java Sourceport Clusterfuck Hellride continues with WitchavenGDX. Because after Blood, there's only one direction you can go...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
M210 need to just do what everybody is demanding: Legend of the 7 Paladins GDX

(Tekwar is my go-to joke Build Engine game, I can't believe there's actually a TekwarGDX, frankly)

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Really digging DUSK. Episode One was good but Two has blown me away, I missed the days of FPSes having trippy levels and DUSK delivers on that front.

Which FPS game had the trippiest levels?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Probably Kiss Psycho Circus or Requiem

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

catlord posted:

M210 need to just do what everybody is demanding: Legend of the 7 Paladins GDX

(Tekwar is my go-to joke Build Engine game, I can't believe there's actually a TekwarGDX, frankly)

Redneck Deer Huntin' GDX
Extreme Paintbrawl GDX

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
ZPC GDX, just for the name.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

ETPC posted:

single player addons, maps and mods are interactive fan fiction don't @ me

Why would you @ someone who's right

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

wafflemoose posted:

Really digging DUSK. Episode One was good but Two has blown me away, I missed the days of FPSes having trippy levels and DUSK delivers on that front.

Yeah I really liked how the levels towards the end of DUSK got weird. I really hope they just go all in on that poo poo for episode 3.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

wafflemoose posted:

Quake had some good ones, the Wind Tunnels and Ziggurat Vertigo come to mind. A shame it didn't have more of that to be honest.

The level in Thief where you go to Constantine's mansion was also pretty great.

e: also the Amsterdam level in Duke 3D World Tour where you keep going round the bit at the end and it turns into a non-euclidian nightmare dimension

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 18, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why would you @ someone who's right

What's the alternative opinion? That they're canon? I've literally never encountered that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Do4m sort of implies that custom maps are canon.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
After a long break from the Halos, I just finished SPV3. Probably my favourite experience with the series (the contestants being 1,2, and SPV3) with a few caveats. I can't pretend that a lot of it wasn't due to the greatly expanded arsenal of weapons and enemies, though the map changes definitely help break up the monotony. Still, much like the original game I do think the levels themselves are overlong, and the mod actually extends that length. In some cases it works well, especially at the beginning where you end up fighting through the halls and hangers of the Pillar of Autumn, including a brief low-gravity section. The eponymous "Halo" level too has been heavily changed and expanded, and actually feels like a real battlefield. But "Two Betrayals" was repetitive, full of Jackals armed with UNSC sniper rifles, and seemed to take forever. There's also a mechanic that only really becomes relevant later on where dropped enemy grenades will detonate if they're killed by any weapon that lights them on fire and I died way to many times before figuring it out. But that's probably on me. :downs:

Anyways, replaying Max Payne now, for the first time in a decade probably, and I guess it's not technically an FPS but drat do I love that game. Runs real weird on modern computers though, had to download some stuff to get it sorted out.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Has anyone made a nice, bright, cartoony D2 mapset? Something that would work well with GMOTA or Bullet-Eye, basically, so Adventures of Square/Pirate Doom/etc. are probably out due to conflicts.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 19, 2018

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What would be a nice mapset for GMOTA? Most of the stuff I have have tech bases.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFKBbr3xcFs&t=3873s

someone called randy's show to ask about dnf 2001 and we are promised "it is happening" before randall starts talking a bunch of poo poo

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The very fact that Randy Pitchford of all people is telling people to temper their expectations makes me think the 2001 build really isn't worth getting excited about.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Guillermus posted:

What would be a nice mapset for GMOTA? Most of the stuff I have have tech bases.

probably anything focused on more hell-oriented maps

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

CJacobs posted:

I feel pretty much the same way about Amid Evil as I did when I was just watching it instead of playing it. Refunded it after about the 2h mark. The maps are kind of hard for me to navigate because the game has no artstyle, nothing looks like anything. It's a weird combination of blocky blocks and slidey slopes and all of it has really intense bumpmapping that looks okay I guess but also removes any identifying features. I kept getting lost in the big levels because big open rooms look pretty unique but every hallway looks the same to me.

There's definitely a good game hiding underneath the surface, but right now it just feels meh for similar reasons. I'll keep an eye out on the game in the future, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The very fact that Randy Pitchford of all people is telling people to temper their expectations makes me think the 2001 build really isn't worth getting excited about.
I don't think it'll be fantastic outside of alternate-history-speculation purposes, but it'd be a nice little bit of... closure, I guess.

Given that unearthing it would involve 3DR, Gearbox and Take Two finding some form of common ground in returning to a particularly embarrassing piece of their shared histories, though, I don't expect it to happen for a few years yet.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 19, 2018

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

DatonKallandor posted:

The supercharge mechanic triggering on fire instead of a seperate button looks incredibly frustrating and just seems like really bad design. Painkiller had the same issue and it's weird to me that they just straight up copied the problems.

Been hanging out in the New Blood Discord, and for what it's worth, this is a design choice. The idea is it leads to moments where it will pop when you desperately needed it, and when it pops and you didn't, you'll find yourself in a rush to find the next horde in ways that you otherwise wouldn't.

For what it's worth, and this is what I did with Painkiller as well, I end up keeping myself near topped off if I think I'm not going to need to use it soon and I'm playing a level for the first time. Then, when a fight breaks out, the first kill I get is usually enough to set it off.

Honestly surprised by the reaction to AMID EVIL here. I adored DUSK and I think I might like AE more. The maps all flow super well, the weapons feel good, and the look is really nice.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Guillermus posted:

Have you loaded up the ol' standby, Scythe2? Maybe Epic2? Have tried the Monster Hunter LTD maps?

https://onemandoom.blogspot.com/2014/07/monster-hunter-ltd-part-1-mohu1wad.html?m=1

On that note, what do you have? I love tech bases.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I was never terribly impressed with the early footage of DNF. It kind of looked like one of those high-effort single-player Half Life mods.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Have you loaded up the ol' standby, Scythe2? Maybe Epic2? Have tried the Monster Hunter LTD maps?

https://onemandoom.blogspot.com/2014/07/monster-hunter-ltd-part-1-mohu1wad.html?m=1

On that note, what do you have? I love tech bases.

Oh, I forgot I have Scythe 2 and Epic 2. Gonna get Monster Hunter LTD now. As for tech bases, Back to Saturn X episode 1 and 2, UAC Ultra and the community chest wads have some nice tech bases. You can try the Doom (2) The Way id Did as they have tech bases that fit the theme of the original ones (the first DTWID does better in my opinion).

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Guillermus posted:

Oh, I forgot I have Scythe 2 and Epic 2. Gonna get Monster Hunter LTD now. As for tech bases, Back to Saturn X episode 1 and 2, UAC Ultra and the community chest wads have some nice tech bases. You can try the Doom (2) The Way id Did as they have tech bases that fit the theme of the original ones (the first DTWID does better in my opinion).

Oh man I was hoping for some undiscovered stuff but now you got me wanting to play those mapsets again :tipshat:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

scythe 2 has definitely been alright for GMOTA although i feel i need to bump up the difficulty a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I just want a mapset with some bright colours so it fits GMOTA/Bullet-Eye's SNES trappings. :(