Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Interesting that you assumed a general statement applied to yourself specifically and you immediately posted to defend your actions

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Niantic is loving up big time.

The problem here is not Niantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
It owns that nerds bitched about not getting EX passes and now that they're getting them they're bitching about getting too many. Make up your mind morons.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Once I got my first one, I was done. I only go to the x-raids now to see if they need one or two more people actually beat the guy. One group had like four people that were all under level 30, so I joined in with a few other high thirties and they were all able to get him.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant Niantic is loving up their cash cow. Everyone who was complaining raids enough that they're at least spending some money on passes. Some of them spend a lot.

The people who are happy to just get one invite period are mostly free to play people at this point. I have a feeling this will cause a lot of the more hardcore people to raid less, either because they're just not chasing EX raid invites any more, or because they're actively avoiding eligible gyms. The latter would be more ideal for more casual players getting their first (or second/third) invite if the game wasn't loving riddled with spoofers.

The problem is Niantic's insofar as they want people to keep spending money, and some of those people are feeling over the whole Mewtwo thing. I don't know poo poo about programming, but I still think there are better ways to hand out the invites. They're obviously not obligated to improve anything, and may just be doing it on purpose now to get people to raid more.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Same with the shiny Lugias now. I did about 5 raids today and only one person out of those raids got a shiny. The

So what do I do to connect my loving plus? I got a new battery but the old one was working great, said the dude at the battery store, but even with unpairing and repairing and everything, the loving thing won't connect. It only flashes a white light.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
People are going nuts over Lugia and the 100% rate on the shiny so not sure how they're loving up their cash flow there. Seems they for once dialed in right with what hardcore people want.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Agreed. A lot of regulars in my town begrudgingly admit that shinies are a smart way to pull people back to raid old legendaries.

Also as much as I'm tired of Mewtwo, I understand completely if Niantic won't change it anytime soon because I think there's still a lot of people who don't have it.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

I have a feeling this will cause a lot of the more hardcore people to raid less, either because they're just not chasing EX raid invites any more, or because they're actively avoiding eligible gyms.

I don't think people avoid gyms other than "it's too far away." I think hardcore people wouldn't have a problem with simply not showing up for an EX raid if they didn't want to do them but got a pass. It's not like they're being publicly shamed for not attending, and I think any remotely normal and healthy community of players in a town wouldn't lead witch hunts or blacklist people who simply say "Sorry, I can't make it."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i raided at all 4 of the gyms in my town several times a week for months, from the time they were first introduced as a 'beta' item until very recently, getting 3 of the 4 gym badges to gold, and still never got a single ex pass. not a single one. as of two weeks ago i live in a different town where nobody is active and there's no documentation on which gyms do and don't give out ex passes so i guess i'm never getting a mewtwo.

the ex system is just flat-out bad.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I have my fourth pass next week, I've spent like 20 bucks on boxes of raid passes with Google fun bux and I just raid when and where it's convenient to... Game is fun if you just chill out and play it instead of being an obsessive sperglord

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
For next week I got a pass at a gym where I only raided once before (last week) and there has never been an ex-raid at that gym before either. But of course it's in a park.

With the new system I'm getting pretty much guaranteed EX-passes as long as I spend my free raid passes on decently popular gyms at parks. They can be solo raids too, it doesn't matter.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I got a shiny Aron, yay~

Pity he is basically the worst. :v:

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Same with the shiny Lugias now. I did about 5 raids today and only one person out of those raids got a shiny. The

So what do I do to connect my loving plus? I got a new battery but the old one was working great, said the dude at the battery store, but even with unpairing and repairing and everything, the loving thing won't connect. It only flashes a white light.

The best way to connect it is: unpair it from game - hold 5 and hold 5 after vibrartion to reset it - restart phone - don't pair it bluetooth - pair it ingame.

If this doesn't work I don't know what does.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

financially racist posted:

i raided at all 4 of the gyms in my town several times a week for months, from the time they were first introduced as a 'beta' item until very recently, getting 3 of the 4 gym badges to gold, and still never got a single ex pass. not a single one. as of two weeks ago i live in a different town where nobody is active and there's no documentation on which gyms do and don't give out ex passes so i guess i'm never getting a mewtwo.

the ex system is just flat-out bad.

Make your own map, get an invite and find out you're the only one there.

I hot sauce Wynaut from an egg! Obviously it was the second 5km egg I picked up after the event ended.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I still haven't gotten an EX pass. Whatever. The idea of people being upset that they're getting too many makes me lol though.

I like Lugia because all the Tyranitars I buffed for the original gym system are relevant again.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://www.polygon.com/pokemon/2018/3/18/17136468/pokemon-go-fight-vancouver-washington-tire-iron-super-effective

quote:

KATU-TV of Portland, Ore. reported Friday that three friends were on a park bench in Vancouver, Wash. (across the Columbia River from Oregon) when someone pulled up in a car, parked, and charged out at them brandishing a tire iron.

The alleged assailant, Stephen Jolly, demanded to know which of the three on the bench was a Pokémon Go player who had just taken a gym in the game. “I was just reviving my Pokemon when he was trying to take it out,” said Andrew Otton. “I took it from him and I didn’t know he just took it, and he was like, ‘Hey, did you just take this gym from me? That’s pretty messed up, man.’ He was very angrily saying it.”

A friend of Otton’s said he was punched by Jolly “several times” until he took action. “I got behind him and started choking him,” said Grayson Hagstrom. “I figured if he didn’t have consciousness, he wouldn’t be that tough.” That’s a smart calculus.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
It's nice to see how much easier things have gotten this time around for Lugia. We had trouble with 8 or so people in the past, lost multiple teams, etc.

Now it's easily doable with 6, and with groups a bit bigger I lose maybe 2 out of 6 tyrannitar with no dodging.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I thought this too but I rushed out to help a small group out where we totaled 6 and I was dismayed to see half of them at or under 30 and we failed.

Added onto that I just realized today I must have accidentally transferred two 100% IV Misdreavus made today a bad Pokeday for me.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Yeah, for us, the same people have been playing for a while and they raid waaaaaay more than I do. Most are at my level (36) or higher. Anyone lower is a kid or friend that tags along and just increases damage usually.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

"That's a smart calculus."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I can't say this enough, but please watch your loving kids when raiding! A kid ran in front of my car yesterday while his parents wandered some feet behind, and two others physically grabbed me and yanked my arm down to check my phone. I'm a girl so apparently they aren't worried about Bad Touch from Strangers but loving hell I shouldn't have to tell a ten year old not to grab me.

Also, please tell your kids to still be careful about strangers! Don't tell complete strangers where you live and go to school or how old and the names of all your siblings!

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

I can't say this enough, but please watch your loving kids when raiding! A kid ran in front of my car yesterday while his parents wandered some feet behind, and two others physically grabbed me and yanked my arm down to check my phone. I'm a girl so apparently they aren't worried about Bad Touch from Strangers but loving hell I shouldn't have to tell a ten year old not to grab me.

Also, please tell your kids to still be careful about strangers! Don't tell complete strangers where you live and go to school or how old and the names of all your siblings!
Maybe you should be telling the parents these things instead of constantly venting at us. I know unsolicited parenting advice is usually received fairly well.

I wasn’t around for it, but in a local raid group last night one of the women got grabbed by some drunk guy and some of the others stepped up and tossed him the gently caress out of there.

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.
Got a 91% shiny Lugia as a souvenir from my quick trip to Norway this weekend! Definitely a great group in Oslo that's super active, much to my surprise.

In the past month I also raided in Japan and absolutely no one talks. In Oslo, when people realized I didn't speak Norwegian, they would all start talking in English, even to one another. Very polite, even if it made me feel a little bad.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I know people who were harassed by this guy, it's a little scary to think a game has such an impact. It was quite the topic of conversation at raids this weekend.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I got death threats for taking a gym once, both irl and online. But because that guy was the first to get to lvl 40 and somehow very popular, everyone sided with him and said I deserved it for trying to take his gym. I don't raid in that area any more now.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Entropist posted:

I got death threats for taking a gym once, both irl and online. But because that guy was the first to get to lvl 40 and somehow very popular, everyone sided with him and said I deserved it for trying to take his gym. I don't raid in that area any more now.

Clearly you need to start spoofing and stalk this guy's gym activity, then immediately knock down everything he tries to do.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Entropist posted:

Sounds like an infamous guy who used to play in my area. In the early days of the game during the old gym system, a guy became a ToS enforcer and would always yell at people on discord who didn't play the game honorably. Apparently he was real nice in person and would help build up gyms if he took one over with you, but just became an irredeemable rear end in a top hat online if anyone ever talked about using a map to catch something or if someone shaved a gym, and he kept a dossier of gym shavers so that he could be sure to exclude them if he ever ran into them later. His online presence disappeared with the new gym system.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey, looks like there's more Shiny Legendaries in the game's data files.

Most are staggeringly ugly. A few more are basically indistinguishable from their normal counterparts. And like three or four are pretty cool.

https://pokemongohub.net/post/wiki/list-of-legendary-pokemon-with-available-in-game-normal-and-shiny-sprites/

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That's basically shiny Pokemon in a nutshell. A lot of the older ones only had a limited GBC palette to work with, so I hope you like lime green!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Crosspeice posted:

That's basically shiny Pokemon in a nutshell. A lot of the older ones only had a limited GBC palette to work with, so I hope you like lime green!
Yeah, Kyogre and Mewtwo are particularly egregious. Not that I'd turn down a 100% catch rate but still. And I can barely handle Groudon.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Can't wait till 2025 so I can get my chance at catching a shiny Litten, the best shiny.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The other day, I kicked someone out of a gym less than a minute after he'd taken it over. Specifically, he took it over while parked with the engine running (which is not legal in Germany) while blocking the pedestrian entrance of a fire station. Thus always to car players.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

seiferguy posted:

Sounds like an infamous guy who used to play in my area. In the early days of the game during the old gym system, a guy became a ToS enforcer and would always yell at people on discord who didn't play the game honorably. Apparently he was real nice in person and would help build up gyms if he took one over with you, but just became an irredeemable rear end in a top hat online if anyone ever talked about using a map to catch something or if someone shaved a gym, and he kept a dossier of gym shavers so that he could be sure to exclude them if he ever ran into them later. His online presence disappeared with the new gym system.

Oh he’s still around. The problem is his list of spoofers to target included many false entries and I’ve been told he’s an rear end in a top hat irl at raids (about all the stuff you listed), so whatever small “good” he may have done it’s far outweighed by the number of times he was completely a prick to people who didn’t deserve it whatsoever

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 19, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dwarf74 posted:

Most are staggeringly ugly. A few more are basically indistinguishable from their normal counterparts. And like three or four are pretty cool.

https://pokemongohub.net/post/wiki/list-of-legendary-pokemon-with-available-in-game-normal-and-shiny-sprites/

man i don't give a f about any of these. just gimme dat shiny beldum/metang/metagross please.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

dwarf74 posted:

I want a shiny Rayquaza please

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Only the Gen 1 shinies are bad and they should just retcon them

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Modus Pwnens posted:

Only the Gen 1 shinies are bad and they should just retcon them

Except Charizard

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

I don't understand the fascination with shiney pokemon. They aren't stronger and most of the colors look worse than the originals.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

DaStampede posted:

I don't understand the fascination with shiney pokemon. They aren't stronger and most of the colors look worse than the originals.
Gotta Catch 'Em All™

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

DaStampede posted:

They're rare, and Pokémon is a game about collecting things for people with broken brains. hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Psion posted:

Oh he’s still around. The problem is his list of spoofers to target included many false entries and I’ve been told he’s an rear end in a top hat irl at raids (about all the stuff you listed), so whatever small “good” he may have done it’s far outweighed by the number of times he was completely a prick to people who didn’t deserve it whatsoever

Oh, yeah I know he still plays - my girlfriend works near the gym he's always in downtown and occasionally kicks him out cause of his reputation. He was absolutely insufferable in the valor channel, and would say he would make life miserable for anyone who shaved his home gym (I really really wanted to do this just to see his meltdown, but never got around to it). He just stopped posting on the discord. I'm guessing it was a mix of him being told to shut up all the time and the fact that the new gym system ruined his playstyle and broke his brain.

• Locked thread