Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Manuel Calavera posted:

Sounds about right. No this isn't just an excuse to post a Vinesauce Joel video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9DST-6jIBU&hd=1

The moment I saw Lose/Lose, I knew this trip was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Sorry for the double post, but wanted to keep this reply separate:

Thanks for the heads up on keeping the new girl* offline. Will do. (No worries, I'm posting this from a lovely handmedown iPad that doesn't even render animated gifs in PYF funny pics; have I mentioned my love of using free old crap?)

*suggestions on names are welcome, I name all my computers, cars, and other major appliances

I name all my kit after women from SF and comics and fiction. In the LAN right now are, Cayce, Ella, Selma, Isabel, Cameron, and Portia. (Gibson's Pattern Recognition, Cinderella (a file server that toils endless with no love, credit, or vacation), Time Trax, the character Ravager from Arrow, The Sarah Conner Chronicles, and Dark Matter. Oh and there's my network printer named, erm, Printer. (I named Cayce Cayce because she was once a Dell Vostro, but now she is an unbranded box with everything replaced and/or upgraded, but the Core2Quad CPU and motherboard sitting in a Rosewill Blackhawk PC case. My LAN is LANOfTheDead, since NOTHING is new on here, but the printer and Selma, my tablet. All the other machines are old kit I have slapped back into basic use.)

Samizdata has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Mar 19, 2018

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Sorry for the double post, but wanted to keep this reply separate:

Thanks for the heads up on keeping the new girl* offline. Will do. (No worries, I'm posting this from a lovely handmedown iPad that doesn't even render animated gifs in PYF funny pics; have I mentioned my love of using free old crap?)

*suggestions on names are welcome, I name all my computers, cars, and other major appliances

If you're up for a challenge, you could wipe XP, install a tiny (but up to date!!) Linux, and use qemu to emulate an XP box. Browse the web, get your files in and out in Linux, open up your old people program in the virtual machine. The XP stays offline and virus free, and you get a full computer out of it.

(Qemu can almost run 1:1 to running an OS on the the machine itself.)

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I name all my computers after Royal Navy ships. At one point I had Conqueror, Bellerophon, Dreadnought, Victory, and Temeraire on the networks -- of which the wired one was named Nelson and the wifi was Jellicoe.

To be extra-nerdy, the names scaled based on how good the machine was, so the first-rates were the ones that could run Source engine games, the second-rates were the old poo poo, and I had a frigate (an Eeeepc) at one point.

Edit: Conqueror is the current PC, I suppose its replacement will be Rodney and the one after that will be King George V, and then I'll have to start reusing names like the RN did. The current one is named after 1911 Conqueror, there was also one built in 1939, sister ship of Lion and yet another Temeraire.

If I have King George V and Rodney at the same time, I will rename my wifi to "gently caress the Bismarck".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Ufc2hI4FM

I guess this post counts double, because battleships are obsolete too.

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 11:35 on Mar 19, 2018

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Maybe? Point is I'm a starving artist making $9 an hour as a line cook, and I haven't had my own computer since Vanguard died. I have to share my husbands pc, and his just flat out won't install my poo poo. I'd totally buy a swank machine with specs that can run these flaky programs in their native XP if I could. So finding a nice lil slice of fully functioning 2005, and a machine all my own, in the garbage, was just sort of "woo, major score" for me.

Virginia Woolf: A Room of One's Own:: JacD: A Crappy Laptop of One's Own

Yeah consider a Virtual Machine (VM). It's a program you install (on your husband's PC) with which you can install an operating system, for example Windows XP. Then you just click a few buttons and it starts up the operating system within a window (or full screen if you want), and you can install stuff on it. I remember Cool Edit from back in the days. :) I still use an ancient copy of Audition for very basic audio editing.

I'm not up to speed on which VM is best, maybe other people can comment. Here's an article: https://lifehacker.com/5714966/five-best-virtual-machine-applications

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Everything on our network gets a name, and apart from my work computer, I've named them after things in the Hitchhiker's universe. The current main PC/server is always named Deepthought; the previous computer was renamed Eddie when it was decommissioned. My phone is Marvin; my old phones were also Marvin, but are now named Zem and Zem II. My tablet is Lamuella. The Wii is Zaphod and the PS3 is Hotblack. My tiny thumbdrive is Towel and the big one I've since handed off was DotD for Dish of the Day (it came up as D:). My Kindle is The Guide.

Oh, then there are the printers. The Samsung laser is Annyong and the Brother all-in-one is Hermano.

But I come from a naming family. My beloved grandmother, God rest her soul, named every goddamn thing, even her benign tumor (Irena) and the walker she had for a hot minute (Fred Astaire).

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I don't really recall why I chose it, but the naming convention I've gone with for all my network devices for some years back now has been horses from Norse mythology. Falhófnir, Blóðughófi, Sleipnir, Hófvarpnir, etc.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Exit Strategy posted:

The moment I saw Lose/Lose, I knew this trip was worth it.

The long version is great too. This is just the supercut version. It cuts out at least an hour of content, some downtime, etc.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
https://qntm.org/culture all the names you could ever need

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I built a computer many years ago and named it "Banana", just so I could say:

when I pushed the ON button. Thankfully it worked better for me than Ralph.

The name stuck, and now I'm on "Banana IV."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PYF hostname schemes.

I'm the typical metalhead nerd, so my Linux machines are lichking and lumsk, Windows is warbringer, Android phone is alestorm, printer is partycannon, NAS is necrophagist. The WLAN SSID is obviously 1010011010.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KozmoNaut posted:

PYF hostname schemes.

I'm the typical metalhead nerd, so my Linux machines are lichking and lumsk, Windows is warbringer, Android phone is alestorm, printer is partycannon, NAS is necrophagist. The WLAN SSID is obviously 1010011010.

All of mine have "Iron" in the name. My Chromecast is "Ironcast," my phone is "Mobile Iron," my PlayStation is "IronStation."

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

KozmoNaut posted:

PYF hostname schemes.

(a) :regd10:

(b) I now kinda want to change my home SSID to 10001110101.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

My naming scheme used to be out of Spaceballs. Mr. + Description.

Later I switched to only naming computers and using the Sinistrals from Lufia. Main computer is Daos, laptops are Gades or Amon, and I've never had to use Erim (yet).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

T-man posted:

If you're up for a challenge, you could wipe XP, install a tiny (but up to date!!) Linux, and use qemu to emulate an XP box. Browse the web, get your files in and out in Linux, open up your old people program in the virtual machine. The XP stays offline and virus free, and you get a full computer out of it.

(Qemu can almost run 1:1 to running an OS on the the machine itself.)

If that XP machine predates ~2006, it's not gonna have hardware virtualization extensions (AMD-V or VT-X), and without hardware virtualization support, QEMU is dogshit garbage even on my top-spec 2017 Lenovo (ask me about default-disabled virtualization options!)

Also you're asking someone who just stopped making music rather than learn a new tool to learn a whole new operating system and how to use QEMU. JacquelineDempsey, that sounds harsher than I really intend it, but at some point you are either going to need to learn about virtualization to get your poo poo right, or you're gonna have to learn a new program. Except for the Thinkpad line, XP-era laptops are some of the cheapest jankiest garbage I can think of and all that cheap cheap grey plastic is just getting more and more brittle, the hard drives and CD-ROM drives are dying from sitting idle for years, etc.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

If that XP machine predates ~2006, it's not gonna have hardware virtualization extensions (AMD-V or VT-X), and without hardware virtualization support, QEMU is dogshit garbage even on my top-spec 2017 Lenovo (ask me about default-disabled virtualization options!)

Also you're asking someone who just stopped making music rather than learn a new tool to learn a whole new operating system and how to use QEMU. JacquelineDempsey, that sounds harsher than I really intend it, but at some point you are either going to need to learn about virtualization to get your poo poo right, or you're gonna have to learn a new program. Except for the Thinkpad line, XP-era laptops are some of the cheapest jankiest garbage I can think of and all that cheap cheap grey plastic is just getting more and more brittle, the hard drives and CD-ROM drives are dying from sitting idle for years, etc.

There are literally heaps of working $8 XP era thinkpads all over at least

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Could always put in a SSD? Wait...Could you? Might need an adapter. gently caress I dont know

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

shovelbum posted:

It’s a precarious situation to put oneself in to be reliant on hardware decades old.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty decent article about the Saturn

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-lost-child-of-a-house-divided-a-sega-saturn-retrospective

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

shovelbum posted:

I saw an XP-era Panasonic Toughbook at a thrift store t'other day and was tempted to buy it for $100. But no, I have a good lappy now. But in its day that thing was the bee's pajamas.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I finished building a new computer about a week ago and up until then I was using a 2006 HP machine running windows XP.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

One of the managers in our office approached me with the introduction of "you know computers, right?" (groan inwardly)
Turns out he wanted me to fix his home PC (scream inwardly)
He brings it in and it's this dilapidated XP box from 2002- I fire it up and finally get it to boot to find that it hasn't been patched or updated in 15+ years. I try to run defrag and it instantly BSODs and doesn't boot again.(groan outwardly)

I tell the guy that it's really more trouble than it's worth to fix and he freaks out- saying that he needs it to pay his bills.

He went on to explain keeps the old XP box because he installed AOL onto it years ago, and even though he now pays for FIOS and has another more modern PC he still also pays for AOL so he can sign in then navigate to AOL.com and log into his email to pay his bills. :wtc:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Empty quotin'

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Shifty Nipples posted:

I finished building a new computer about a week ago and up until then I was using a 2006 HP machine running windows XP.

My father used an XP machine until about three months ago. He'd still be, except it let the smoke out and he literally couldn't find anything that didn't have Windows 8 or better on ebay.

He used our Packard Bell 486 with Win 3.1 until around 2006, mostly playing DOS chess and solitaire. That one actually shot flames out the back when the PSU shat itself.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Jackie D, you said it'd run under win 7, right? Would it run under Vista?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not as extreme, but I'm still on Windows 7 because we only got one day to update all the office computers to Windows 10 and nobody else in the office knew how to do it, so nobody could do mine when I was out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Boiled Water posted:

It’s a precarious situation to put oneself in to be reliant on hardware decades old.

The US nuclear arsenal still depends on floppy disks.

No, not the 3.5 inch ones from the 90s.

And not 5.25 inch disks from the 80s.

8 inch. The ones that actually ARE floppy. From the mid-1970s.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/26/479588478/report-u-s-nuclear-system-relies-on-outdated-technology-such-as-floppy-disks

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Well we have a dinosaur in charge of it all so it's actually quite modern.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

Well we have a dinosaur in charge of it all so it's actually quite modern.

No, we have evidence that dinosaurs had brains.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Powered Descent posted:

The US nuclear arsenal still depends on floppy disks.

No, not the 3.5 inch ones from the 90s.

And not 5.25 inch disks from the 80s.

8 inch. The ones that actually ARE floppy. From the mid-1970s.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/26/479588478/report-u-s-nuclear-system-relies-on-outdated-technology-such-as-floppy-disks

This is actually shockingly common in military applications. Partly budgetary constraints, partly "if its not broken don't fix it" and partly "some old hardware is more reliable than new."

For instance, the Space Shuttle (as of its last mission) and the ISS were/are run by 386 systems.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Geoj posted:

This is actually shockingly common in military applications. Partly budgetary constraints, partly "if its not broken don't fix it" and partly "some old hardware is more reliable than new."

For instance, the Space Shuttle (as of its last mission) and the ISS were/are run by 386 systems.

The iss runs on radiation hardened 386’s. An important distinction.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I mean, Intel was making 386 processors until 2007.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's no possible advantage to using a faster and/or newer processor if you know a 80386 will do the job. Adding complexity means adding risk.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Years ago (like 2010ish, give or take a year), a friend of mine brought me his laptop complaining of trouble with simple things like web-based email.

It was running Windows XP. Not Service Pack 3, or 2, or even 1.

It did not have a single Windows update. A completely out-of-the-box, released to manufacturers version of XP.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

so he can sign in then navigate to AOL.com and log into his email to pay his bills. :wtc:

straight in the veins aaahh

Of course he did not want to try this on a more modern system, right? This is kind of like buying one of those 50s TVs and expecting to see Howdy Doody and other old shows.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

straight in the veins aaahh

Of course he did not want to try this on a more modern system, right? This is kind of like buying one of those 50s TVs and expecting to see Howdy Doody and other old shows.

He didn't have the original America Online installation disc anymore, and he thought he had to log in through that first.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Trabant posted:

I built a computer many years ago and named it "Banana", just so I could say:

when I pushed the ON button. Thankfully it worked better for me than Ralph.

The name stuck, and now I'm on "Banana IV."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I named the first computer that wanted a name Megatron and stuck with dumb nerd robot names ever since but I'm on my fifth PC since then and kind of ran out of robots so I named it SHITPOOP welp that's my baking scheme story God bless.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Naming scheme: characters from Deus Ex.

But for the longest time I called them after red dwarf characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Naming scheme: characters from Deus Ex.

But for the longest time I called them after red dwarf characters.

"The pictures you wanted are done. I saved them on Savage."

"UNATCO?"

"No, Savage."

"U-UNATCO?"

"Quit screwing around."