Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also, I forget who I was playing with last night, but they were a level 25-30 Sienna with Unchained. They had a beam staff that must have had vent overheat on crit or something along those lines. They basically just beamed non-stop and were invincible. We had a Stormfiend spawn in a terrible spot, right on a small cliff, and 2 of us got knocked off instantly and 1 other got downed. Sienna was able to just stand there in the chaos fire and beam Stormfiend down without moving, healing, stopping the beam, basically just microwave for 60 seconds. An assassin rat came up and wouldn't pounce, presumably because the AI wouldn't enter the chaos fire. Every boss we ran into, including the end of level bosses, became completely trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
As they are, the talents are boring. The last two are basically all the same, and the first couple are mediocre and dull for everyone (+5% attack speed! +5% movement speed!).

I think Payday 2 is a worse game than this but their talent trees are a lot more interesting.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

'5% movement speed if all of your friends is dead' is the most hilariously useless. I agree the talent trees need significant work.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

How many of you play on a difficulty thats not veteran

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I feel like most people play on Champ.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Drythe posted:

I've recently stepped into champion with beloved Kruber, and I've finally found all these infinite ammo teams everyone else seemed to be finding in veteran. Lumbering too and fro as the dwarf, elf, and witch kill everything is pretty frustrating.

Guess I should bite the bullet and craft an infinite ammo blunderbus, but I'm still only at item level 148.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zephro posted:

I wonder if temp health was added as a counterbalance to some attacks now damaging even through block?

I agree though, it's way too good as currently implemented

edit: I guess VT1 had damage-through-block with Roger's slam, though.

That was the only thing in the whole game that did though, unless I’m forgetting one of krench’s moves, and roger behaved more predictably so it was very reliably dodgeable

There’s a whole lotta poo poo that will damage you through block now and some of it is not reasonable because those attacks advance the enemy toward you at the same time, like one of the troll’s attacks, so you can neither get out of range nor block the damage. In general a lot of the boss design feels incoherent because it assumes you have all the space in the world to maneuver and also aren’t getting ganged by two hordes and three specials at the same time. The protections from the first game that kept situations like that from coming up often are gone, and lunethex actually believes that bosses summon that poo poo which I 100% believe after what I’ve seen

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Drythe posted:

Wait are you spamming emote/cry more responses or actually engaging people in conversation? Seems like you need to stick with one or the other.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Blocking and dodging is something you learn over time and actually the Dwarf Iron Breaker teaches you bad habits because you can be way lazier. It's teaching me bad habits, for sure. I'm trying to get better at remembering to dodge. I feel like I've got it down on bosses and the like, but I still eat way too many heavy hits due to not dodging properly.

I'm only still a Ranger Veteran but the Sword and Shield is letting me tank at a low level. I was playing Spear Elf and having fun but the tryhards were all "STOP DODGING AND BLOCK" so I think I am going to hate pub games.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

Wait are you spamming emote/cry more responses or actually engaging people in conversation? Seems like you need to stick with one or the other.

:chaostrump:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

The temp health definitely feels like a tacked-on afterthought. And the fact that all classes have the same set of talents at the same level really reinforced that for me. I hit 20 on my Dwarf, still playing Iron Breaker with the 1 hit absorption every 13 seconds, a 2h Hammer, and a "gain temp health on kill" and it's just made the game silly. I can play super sloppy and still fumble my way through, and I am by no definition "good."

I'd rather see them do away with temp health and add actual interesting talents for level 20.
The level 25 talents are pretty poorly thought out in a lot of cases too. Everyone gets "30% cooldown reduction" as an option, while others are "Press F to get infinite ammo as Sienna/Waystalker". They don't really change things up too much. It feels like they worked out some decent talents for most classes up to level 15 and then just ran out of ideas in the end and started copy/pasting or throwing ideas in without thinking about how they'd interact with other mechanics.

Drythe posted:

"Unless you play at some arbitrary difficulty level that I upon decide we won't talk about balance issues or whether the game is fun". Most people here play on champion, it seems like, but even if not its not like you can just handwave away issues because you think the person complaining isn't sufficiently worthy.

I think I preferred Vet between levels 10-15 and total hero power ~150-250ish to Champion.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 19, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
tbh im kinda surprised vermintide 2 of all games attracts a lot of tryhard shitposters

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Started getting people demanding to know power level as soon as you join the game. It's gearscore all over again.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

toasterwarrior posted:

tbh im kinda surprised vermintide 2 of all games attracts a lot of tryhard shitposters

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Started getting people demanding to know power level as soon as you join the game. It's gearscore all over again.

I'm glad 2 has blown up so much more for Fatshark, but yeah there's a lot more assholes around for now until they filter out to the next game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
One of my recent games involved a 29 elf/30 pyro who wanted to kick a 9 BH Saltz out of a veteran Screaming Bell run. I voted no and cancelled the kick vote, went through the map pretty smoothly until the elf got stabbed to death by slaverats and lost the second grimoire right before the Rat Ogre fight due to lag. Saltz didn't even go down once, and I laughed about them trying to kick him when we finished.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I only play with people on the Discord because I'm terrible at this game and y'all seem remarkably tolerant of that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Digirat posted:

That was the only thing in the whole game that did though, unless I’m forgetting one of krench’s moves, and roger behaved more predictably so it was very reliably dodgeable

There’s a whole lotta poo poo that will damage you through block now and some of it is not reasonable because those attacks advance the enemy toward you at the same time, like one of the troll’s attacks, so you can neither get out of range nor block the damage. In general a lot of the boss design feels incoherent because it assumes you have all the space in the world to maneuver and also aren’t getting ganged by two hordes and three specials at the same time. The protections from the first game that kept situations like that from coming up often are gone, and lunethex actually believes that bosses summon that poo poo which I 100% believe after what I’ve seen

roger himself i find easier to dodge simply because he generally no longer walks up into your face to do a punch - if he needs to move toward you and attack, he uses his 3-hit smashing attack, which is blockable. if you never stop moving he'll never QUITE have the range to hit you with his ground pound, which differs from the first game since you had to time your back dodge correctly to not get hit with the shockwave there.

trollface, though, damage is going to be unavoidable for SOMEONE. it isn't just his axe attacks, ALL his attacks as nearly as i can tell will do damage through a guard. his unarmed attack, both of his axe attacks, his puke also does it obviously. i still guard out of habit and because i'm hopeful it stops SOME of the damage, but trollface will definitely throw damage through a guard no problem whatsoever.

roger also summoned hordes in VT1, though there was some random chance involved. actually, our discovery of that brick of code was how we figured out that fatshark agreed with our nickname for him, because there was an 85/15 split chance for a 'roger_and_friends' event where roger would summon a horde on a short delay, or 'lonelyroger' where he would show up alone.

this was a large part of the reason why punking him was so important in the first game, and that at least hasn't changed to a large extent.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Digirat posted:

Yeah, the Chaos Spawn in particular wants you to be able to dodge a certain attack, because not only do you get hurt you heal the boss if it hits. But good luck if it's got a bunch of big axe guys and green tornadoes around!

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

wow the game is a heck of a lot more fun than the thread

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i have a now lvl 20 pyro and i just now discovered what venting overcharge means

lol...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coolguye posted:

roger himself i find easier to dodge simply because he generally no longer walks up into your face to do a punch - if he needs to move toward you and attack, he uses his 3-hit smashing attack, which is blockable. if you never stop moving he'll never QUITE have the range to hit you with his ground pound, which differs from the first game since you had to time your back dodge correctly to not get hit with the shockwave there.

trollface, though, damage is going to be unavoidable for SOMEONE. it isn't just his axe attacks, ALL his attacks as nearly as i can tell will do damage through a guard. his unarmed attack, both of his axe attacks, his puke also does it obviously. i still guard out of habit and because i'm hopeful it stops SOME of the damage, but trollface will definitely throw damage through a guard no problem whatsoever.

roger also summoned hordes in VT1, though there was some random chance involved. actually, our discovery of that brick of code was how we figured out that fatshark agreed with our nickname for him, because there was an 85/15 split chance for a 'roger_and_friends' event where roger would summon a horde on a short delay, or 'lonelyroger' where he would show up alone.

this was a large part of the reason why punking him was so important in the first game, and that at least hasn't changed to a large extent.

My beef with new roger compared to old roger is he can now do the unblockable attack while doing a 180 to instantly slam someone who was hitting him in the back for half their health bar. Every boss except for the stormfiend has at least one thing that is just off

You’re not wrong about the roger horde but that would always be slave rats by my memory, while the most common encounter by far would just include a handful of clan rats, and specials seemed barred from spawning under normal circumstances. Even with all those concessions compared to this game I still think the options to kill roger in 5 seconds were a necessary evil because even a horde of slave rats in the wrong place could be pretty crazy on top of roger. Now those options are either gone or far less available, most bosses are a serious threat to every player (not even the one they’re targeting) when completely alone, and they can either summon or coincide with a completely unreasonable pile of other poo poo that turns them into pretty much the single biggest middle finger you can get right now

and you can get two of them through RNG in a level, which was only ever possible in vermintide 1 through a long-fixed bug

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I am not as young as I used to and don't play a ton, but you guys make me a bit self-conscious. I'm still in Veteran, haven't played all of the maps yet, only have tome / grim locations memorized on 3-4 maps, and don't exactly effortlessly dance through everything. If the posts in this thread are to be believed, anything short of champion is a waste of time for drooling children.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

rap music posted:

ur rite

wtb elf crew gangtag

Backhand posted:

I am not as young as I used to and don't play a ton, but you guys make me a bit self-conscious. I'm still in Veteran, haven't played all of the maps yet, only have tome / grim locations memorized on 3-4 maps, and don't exactly effortlessly dance through everything. If the posts in this thread are to be believed, anything short of champion is a waste of time for drooling children.

Nah, they're just the most vocal posters because they're the ones who've played enough to get some solid game knowledge

Personally, I only just dipped into vet with HP like 130 :sun:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Talents could be a ton more fun. Give me a damage buff which makes me unable to block as slayer. Dumb stuff like that.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

rap music posted:

because the thread spends more time whining than playing

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Backhand posted:

Nah, don't worry about it. In my case, I don't plan on playing Champion without a reliable crew, so I just pub veteran. It's why I want nerfs to the super strong ranged classes and options: I'd like veteran games to be consistently challenging, and the way things are now, the only way I see most high-level elf and pyro players losing vet games is the AI director going Skynet or them getting complacent.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Digirat posted:

My beef with new roger compared to old roger is he can now do the unblockable attack while doing a 180 to instantly slam someone who was hitting him in the back for half their health bar. Every boss except for the stormfiend has at least one thing that is just off
yeah that's fair, if my memory serves me correctly (which it might not on this point) this was a problem for a while in VT1 as well. it's kind of surprising to see how many VT1 problems have come back in the opening act of VT2.

Drythe posted:

having seen how much many of the thread regulars play this game, megalol @ this

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

It's either twitch streamers or tryhard shitposters. I mean, it's a game where you have dudes with axes run at you with them in the air like they are a child with a new toy. It's hard to take this poo poo seriously.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
Look I'm trying to get on the MLG circuit for this game, I have to tryhard

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

i enjoy pretending to be elf that's really good at slaughtering countless enemies in battle

sorry if that makes me a piece of poo poo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Backhand posted:

Started playing Champion last night and it doesn't even seem that much harder, though maybe it just seems that way due to the fact that your teammates are usually competent.

Play on whichever difficulty level you find the most fun, ignore the 1337 gamerz

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

:nallears:

Phlegmish posted:

Play on whichever difficulty level you find the most fun, ignore the 1337 gamerz

Yep, people trying to turn this into vidya dickwaving are missing the point of the game.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
All of my characters are at least level 12, but I'm stuck in recruit, because more of my friends keep getting this game and I want to play with them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coolguye posted:

yeah that's fair, if my memory serves me correctly (which it might not on this point) this was a problem for a while in VT1 as well. it's kind of surprising to see how many VT1 problems have come back in the opening act of VT2.

part of the situation is that it is utterly impossible to discern intent from accident with fatshark

I have absolutely no idea what is working as intended here and what is not

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

poe meater posted:

What gun do people use for the bounty hunter? I'm not sure how to use bounty hunter and feel like the tagging was maybe better? I dunno I'm only lvl 9.
I'm in the minority that uses Brace because I like to roll like Doc Holiday quickdrawing pistol shots to put guys in the dirt in between melee attacks

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Drythe posted:

Drythe posted:

:rolleyes:

The real answer is play what you want to play and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Veteran is great for chopping through hordes without having to be too concerned about where everyone is all the time but Champion is great when you get some better gear and are looking for a challenge. I've probably stayed in veteran for longer than most but I've been helping friends gear up along the way so it's been alright.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

personally i will be asking for consent from the rest of the party before killing ANY mobs going forward

i encourage any other elves to be respectful and do the same

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

rap music posted:

personally i will be asking for consent from the rest of the party before killing ANY mobs going forward

i encourage any other elves to be respectful and do the same

Aww! Don't feel bad! It's not your fault that you're not fun to play games with.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
daily reminder that this is a friendly coop with friends friend game that happens to have a server browser simply to make it more general playable, but it's still to go on a bender with you and three of your mates

no thread nor pubbie nor even discord will sully that design point

also post better ya'll drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Playing as Iron Bardin with double drakefire pistols is rad as gently caress and has so far been my favorite ranged weapon. You're like a tiny Sienna. It also frees up pretty much all the ammo drops for Satlz, Kruger and Kerillian.

Speaking of Drakefire, the flamethrower seems kind of...underpowered? Fire damage over time seems kind of weak, even against hordes of slave rats.