Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I found an unopened RG Char's Zaku II in my closet, despite already having an assembled one on my shelf; I have no idea how I managed to buy a dupe.

Anyone have an unbuilt RG they'd trade for it? I don't have a mass production Zaku II, Titans RX-178, Justice, or Johnny Ridden (or the Banshee Norn, but that goes for 50% more than Char's Zaku). A Bandai 1/72 Y-Wing would work, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Of course the RG Zaku Minelayer is P-Bandai

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Gouf flight type as well.

Incidentally, does anyone know the best way to source p-bandai kits in Australia?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Basically, Future is:

1. Clear - Shouldn't really affect the colors below it at all
2. Glossy - Should come out shiny -- shinier than the normal gunpla plastic is, really
3. Tough - After it cures (a week? somewhere in that timeframe), it should be able to stand up to you light or moderately scratching with a fingernail.

It feels a bit smoother than the gunpla plastic.

If you've got all of that, you're probably good.

It seems to tick all those boxes with a couple of caveats.

1. In a couple of places where I was a bit heavy handed it pooled and there is a very slight bluish tint. It seems to be fading the longer it cures though.
2. On a few parts where I really screwed up the main colour coat it hasn't self leveled well and didn't come out very glossy at all. On the other hand this is how I also discovered that it strips easily with Windex.

It is very tough though. After only a few days it stands up to a decent amount of fingernail based abuse.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Of course the RG Zaku Minelayer is P-Bandai

Well yeah, that one makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the crazy amount of Origin Zakus that get regular releases.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I just wish they would do a MG 3.0 Zaku II. For being one of their biggest models they sure don't seem to reinvest in the design, just crank out variants based on now ancient engineering.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

I just wish they would do a MG 3.0 Zaku II. For being one of their biggest models they sure don't seem to reinvest in the design, just crank out variants based on now ancient engineering.

It's old, but it's still solid. You see the same thing with GMs. Same basic engineering since the Gundam 2.0 a decade ago, allowing for minor improvements. In fact, the 3.0 frame seems to have been largely abandoned, while 2.0 is still being used as a label for New And Improved.

Kinda wonder why that is, thinking about it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The 3.0 basically only existed to give people a gritty “realistic” gundam MG after people whined about the 2.0 being animation accurate, I’m not even sure if the 3.0 actually has any significant advancements over the 2.0.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Giant hands

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone yet know the difference between the older HGUC Gouf Flight Type, the one with the 08th MS Team branding, and the new one? I'm guessing the new one is based on the Revive frame, and thus I should try to sell the 08th version unless that's better engineered/detailed/etc.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

MJP posted:

Does anyone yet know the difference between the older HGUC Gouf Flight Type, the one with the 08th MS Team branding, and the new one? I'm guessing the new one is based on the Revive frame, and thus I should try to sell the 08th version unless that's better engineered/detailed/etc.

The older one would be regular HG not HGUC, which is a specific line. The new P-Bandai one will be almost definitely based on the HGUC Gouf Custom which is a very good kit. The new one will almost definitely be better detailed and engineered, though it is P-Bandai so $$$.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 16, 2018

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Supernova might be finally showing up again, supposedly with an August 2018 release of their EW Heavyarms Kai.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Speaking of bootlegs, my work got in a new resin printer so I did a piece of my dainsleif for calibration:

It's able to do 4x the resolution of this, really cool unit, questionable choice of resin color

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xy Hapu posted:

Speaking of bootlegs, my work got in a new resin printer so I did a piece of my dainsleif for calibration:

It's able to do 4x the resolution of this, really cool unit, questionable choice of resin color

Your Dansleif project is great, and I really wanna see how it turns out, but the fact that you have the ability to create clear neon Gundam models opens up whole new avenues.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Schizophonic9 has the first part of his Deep Striker pictorial up.

http://schizophonic9.com/re4/mg_deepstriker.html

Apparently the older S-Gundam MG forms the base for the kit so there's an insane amount of wasted parts.

For the price tag though I would have expected less stickers.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Xy Hapu posted:

Looks fabbo! What's the machine, is a resin printer distinct from what I think of as a 3d printer? Or just a different material fed into the machine?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The grain makes me think it's just a 3d printer, but with the advantages that resin offer (i.e being soffter and easier to melt/cool, smoother output).

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Your Dansleif project is great, and I really wanna see how it turns out, but the fact that you have the ability to create clear neon Gundam models opens up whole new avenues.

Thanks! 3D printer raw material colors seem biased toward MAXIMUM 90s for some reason, we can all probably expect more models in eye-searing colors in our futures.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Looks fabbo! What's the machine, is a resin printer distinct from what I think of as a 3d printer? Or just a different material fed into the machine?

It's a type of 3d printer, it shoots a UV laser into a vat of liquid resin to cure it into whatever shape one layer at a time and the part slowly rises out of the vat like a terminator. I think Bandai's rapid prototyping machines use the same method, SLA/stereolithography. IIRC it's still the best method for high-res prints alongside DLP which uses a projector instead of a laser.

Getting an actual part in my hand scrounged up enough motivation to finish the last of the detailing, it's pretty much ready for print now. I'm going to wrap winding wire around those octopus suction looking things to make it more electromagnetic-like.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Xy Hapu posted:

It's a type of 3d printer, it shoots a UV laser into a vat of liquid resin to cure it into whatever shape one layer at a time and the part slowly rises out of the vat like a terminator. I think Bandai's rapid prototyping machines use the same method, SLA/stereolithography. IIRC it's still the best method for high-res prints alongside DLP which uses a projector instead of a laser.

Good to know the forums are still around in 2118, holy poo poo. That sounds cool as gently caress but I bet it's expensive to boot.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

The Muffinlord posted:

Good to know the forums are still around in 2118, holy poo poo. That sounds cool as gently caress but I bet it's expensive to boot.

I super vaguely remember Bandai's was in the hundreds of thousands of dollars when they bought them like a decade ago, but more recently they've come out with consumer SLA printers with finer detail for a few thousand, I think a few are in the 1-2k range. According to internet hearsay this in large part due to patents expiring in the last couple years. Give it another two or three years and we'll be able to afford one just by pawning off our backlog :v:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Xy Hapu posted:

pawning off our backlog :v:

Bite your tongue.

This also made me realize my backlog is nearing a grand.... drat.

Admittedly, a lot of that is from the PG Millennium Falcon I'm just waiting to take a week to build.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So how long until you make some transparent orange chainsaws then?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I did a Gunpla

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

I think this is gonna be the final form for my spider hugo.

Theres not enough clearance with a single waist part for it to easily not have every piece rubbing together. Its an absolute oval office of a thing to try and pose. Think posing a gundam with two legs can be finicky at times, try doing one with 4 arms and legs. I'm probably going to have to glue the torso rigid (or at least the bottom waist) as it has a hard time supporting all that weight up top.

I am not looking forward to actually painting this thing now.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Puddin posted:

Theres not enough clearance with a single waist part for it to easily not have every piece rubbing together. Its an absolute oval office of a thing to try and pose. Think posing a gundam with two legs can be finicky at times, try doing one with 4 arms and legs. I'm probably going to have to glue the torso rigid (or at least the bottom waist) as it has a hard time supporting all that weight up top.

If it's any consolation it looks pretty awesome, and I cant wait to see it painted.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I did a Gunpla

'Tis a good pla. Only critiques are that the right shoulder decal looks like it could have been set better, and the gold looks a little thick (i'm super spoiled by lacquer AKA cancerpaint, though).

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Neurolimal posted:

If it's any consolation it looks pretty awesome, and I cant wait to see it painted.

I just figured out now that one of the huge Kotobukiya gatling guns that also has two smaller miniguns attached to it fits perfectly into where the action base fits so now it has a massive cock and balls gun.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Puddin posted:

Hugo-a-Gogo!

Edit: where did you get the mount piece between the top shoulders and the arms? Looks like it might be the thigh armour but I can't figure how the arms join to them.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 19, 2018

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

I did a Gunpla

:ussr:

Nice work on the leg fans, those look real good

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I picked up a Unicorn in destroy mode, what do folks do about panel lining clear plastic? And holy crap did panel lining make a huge difference on my Barbatos.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

'Tis a good pla. Only critiques are that the right shoulder decal looks like it could have been set better, and the gold looks a little thick (i'm super spoiled by lacquer AKA cancerpaint, though).

Yeah, it was my first time using waterslides and my first time using paint that had to be thinned with thinner instead of water.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

So I picked up a Unicorn in destroy mode, what do folks do about panel lining clear plastic? And holy crap did panel lining make a huge difference on my Barbatos.

I don't- did a test once and I couldn't make it look good. If light will ever shine through forget about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So they're not technically gunpla but are the Gundam fix configuration models any good considering their hefty price tag?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
If anyone wanted that super mini-pla Dino Megazord, it's back up on HLJ but at low stock: https://hlj.com/product/bannr09859

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
As someone who has one, I'd like to give a word of warning regarding the Super-minipla Daizyujin and the Super-minipla line in general (or Dinosaur Megazord, the first one, for those more familiar with Power Rangers)

1: The Super-Minipla line of models is not made by the same team that handles the usual HG gundam kits. The plastic is different, the mechanical structure is different. For the most part, I'd say the miniplas are inferior. Especially the joints. The elbows on both my galients (another kit in the line), are showing stress marks which means I don't bloody dare move them into a pose beyond 'boring stand up straight'. And I never even put anything in their hands to hold so it's just the strain of the bloody arms themselves.
2: stickers. Daizyujin's detail is all in the stickers. Or paint if that's your thing.
3: Yes, the Super-Minipla is fully transformable from its components into the Megazord. But this does come at a price. The aforementioned joints are designed to accommodate this which limits posability in Megazord-mode. Also, much of the transformation comes from taking a piece out of one hole and plugging it into another. It is not as good as the Soul of Chogokin that came out roughly the same time (Note: I don't own that one, so I'm purely going off pictures here). On the other hand,
the Super-Minipla doesn't make your wallet cry quite as much.
4: This guy is WIDE. Seriously. With the Mammoth wrapping around the T-Rex, it is almost as wide as it is tall and the proportions are off. It's head feels oddly small for example. To give it another comparison with a non-transformable action-figure I have from a few years back. (Spirit of Chogokin?) The Super-Minipla is the models they use for the transformation, while the action-figure is based on the guy in the rubber suit.

I honestly have a love-hate relationship with the whole line. Personally I think they're overpriced considering the quality and there are no standardized joints anywhere so it feels like every time they're reinventing the wheel with mixed results at best. The chewing-gum is such a pointless addition I don't even know why it's there. It doesn't seem to be aimed at kids who might be persuaded by candy of all things. I mean, the whole line so far has been about stuff from the 80s or even earlier. Ideon, Zyuranger, Zambot 3, Galient, Liveman is coming up and I think they did some Xabungle before I bought my first minipla. On the other hand, the sheer variety of subject models they're doing that aren't found elsewhere makes me keep coming back.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

BizarroAzrael posted:

Hugo-a-Gogo!

Edit: where did you get the mount piece between the top shoulders and the arms? Looks like it might be the thigh armour but I can't figure how the arms join to them.

Good eye! They are the thigh armour that I've scratch built up with polycaps sealed inside. I've got some pics of them being built.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 19, 2018

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Yawgmoft posted:

I don't- did a test once and I couldn't make it look good. If light will ever shine through forget about it.

Thanks for the heads up!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

If anyone wanted that super mini-pla Dino Megazord, it's back up on HLJ but at low stock: https://hlj.com/product/bannr09859

Aaaand it's gone :sigh:.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Couple new P Bandais announced, MG GM Dominance and the Re/100 Gundam Mk III Unit 8. Nothing too exciting, though I probably would've picked up the Dominance if it had been generate release.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

EVGA Longoria posted:

Couple new P Bandais announced, MG GM Dominance and the Re/100 Gundam Mk III Unit 8. Nothing too exciting, though I probably would've picked up the Dominance if it had been generate release.

Also a bunch of DX decal sets.

Dominance I would have totally been up for if it was an HG. I don't quite understand why it's getting the MG treatment. They just finished releasing all the Blue Destiny units in HG so it would have made complete sense to release a matching GM Dominance.

That Gundam Mk-III though I wasn't interested in at all previously, but that color is actually pretty drat hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want that GM Dominance.