Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Baronjutter posted:

Oh that's good to know! But man does a late-game fleet take a long time to upgrade, even something simple like new sensors.

I don't have any scientific proof, but it should be a simple thing to test. Next time I get a chance to play I will do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Noticed that afte I got Colossus ascension perk, I can't declare subjugation wars anymore, only colossus CB total war. Bug or feature? Was kinda bummed, vassalizing my neighbous instead of straight up annexing was what I was looking for still. Latest 2.0.2 beta.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah, I lost all my alternative CB's when I got the Colossus as well. Seems to be by design. Who needs a reason when you can blow their planets up?

Though, so far the colossus has had more work cracking worlds within my own empire for the crunchy mineral goodness inside.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Jazerus posted:

fundamentally, the issue is that the AI does not pay much attention to its status while building things, right now. it says "i want to build a building", chooses a tile, puts down a building that is valid on that type of tile based on various weighting factors for each building/tile resource combination, and then moves on. if you tighten up the weighting compared to the unmodded AI, then the results are better; but it is still essentially enacting a pre-designed economic strategy that is not very reactive to any deficits it may be experiencing, especially because the AI rarely re-evaluates a tile to see if it should replace the building on it (swap a farm for a paradise dome, replace extra farms if there was a food crisis that has since passed, that sort of thing).

Played a bit in Grand Admiral and the starving issue seems mostly solved due to the even higher bonus to resources they get.

Still not a big increase from Insane (which was bit too easy for the hardest difficulty), since they are really bad at fighting wars. Hoping they release something on par with Deity difficulty from Civs where the AI gets insane modifiers to everything and the game is a struggle from start to finish :shobon:.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Jazerus posted:

fundamentally, the issue is that the AI does not pay much attention to its status while building things, right now. it says "i want to build a building", chooses a tile, puts down a building that is valid on that type of tile based on various weighting factors for each building/tile resource combination, and then moves on. if you tighten up the weighting compared to the unmodded AI, then the results are better; but it is still essentially enacting a pre-designed economic strategy that is not very reactive to any deficits it may be experiencing, especially because the AI rarely re-evaluates a tile to see if it should replace the building on it (swap a farm for a paradise dome, replace extra farms if there was a food crisis that has since passed, that sort of thing).

The AI also does some dumb things like being a slaver with their species being decadent, and then embracing a a faction that makes them incapable of holding slaves, leading to an instant -10% happiness penalty for their entire empire.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lunsku posted:

Noticed that afte I got Colossus ascension perk, I can't declare subjugation wars anymore, only colossus CB total war. Bug or feature? Was kinda bummed, vassalizing my neighbous instead of straight up annexing was what I was looking for still. Latest 2.0.2 beta.

The pointless locking of CB's is real bad design. If you have a colossus you should be able to declare any type of valid war. Just like if you allow offensive wars why not still allow ideology change wars? "but but we want to make the ethos play differently" nah that's dumb design when it comes to CB's

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Oh that's good to know! But man does a late-game fleet take a long time to upgrade, even something simple like new sensors.

Something is (or was) off kilter with the upgrade time calculations because I once tried upgrading a small federation fleet from my AI ally's crappy designs to my own stuff, and the upgrade was taking so long that it would have been impossible to finish during the duration of a single presidency. I think I estimated something like 15-20 years based on how fast it was ticking. IIRC pretty sure this was a sub 50k fleet so I opted to just blow it all up and replace it, which took less than a year. I checked before I blew it up and it's not like it was crazily out of date or anything, maybe one generation behind my stuff tops.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Some of the issue with ship upgrading vs building is that building with the fleet manager uses every spaceport you have compared to upgrading using one single starbase worth.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Shugojin posted:

Some of the issue with ship upgrading vs building is that building with the fleet manager uses every spaceport you have compared to upgrading using one single starbase worth.

This is true, it will issue build orders to even the fringe bases you might have on the front lines for mid war reinforcements, not just your 6 yard+fleet academy stacked main base. Not sure if it works in travel time though to get everyone grouped up though, even if build time might be minimized.

After getting gate tech first thing I did was set up a network connected to my 2 big shipyards, but then fleets kept jumping away from their main station to refit/repair at the outskirts... so I ended up replacing all the single yards on the fronts with other stuff. With the gates it's only streamlined my starbase specializations.

I do have a question though, say you have 2 claims on an enemy, both are colonized systems and they are the ONLY colonized systems they have. If you fight a war of conquest and win, will you get all their owned but uncolonized systems as well? Or will they revert to unclaimed?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Is there somewhere where I can get an explination of how the new fleet manager works? I've been just allowing for auto designs currently, but sometimes i get "reinforce fleet" and i'm not exactly sure what that is doing? just an overview of the feature would be helpful if there is a place you can just read over it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Crazyeyes24 posted:

I do have a question though, say you have 2 claims on an enemy, both are colonized systems and they are the ONLY colonized systems they have. If you fight a war of conquest and win, will you get all their owned but uncolonized systems as well? Or will they revert to unclaimed?
They revert to unclaimed.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Crazyeyes24 posted:

After getting gate tech first thing I did was set up a network connected to my 2 big shipyards, but then fleets kept jumping away from their main station to refit/repair at the outskirts... so I ended up replacing all the single yards on the fronts with other stuff. With the gates it's only streamlined my starbase specializations.

There's a bug (or at least everyone assumes it's a bug) where gateway-linked shipyards break the distance calculation such that fleets will always go back to one specific shipyard to refit, even if they're literally docked at another one already (and that other one would be much better because it has more slipways).

quote:

This isn't documented, so this is just coming from my experience:

If you take all their colonies in war resolution but they're the only colonies they have, the rest of their systems will go unclaimed.

If they're eliminated in some other way while your war is still active (say, they lose all their colonies to someone else's peace deal, or a colossus, or to orbital bombardment), then you'll gain all the systems you had occupied when that happened.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Lunsku posted:

I think it's silly that it limits your options, but at least you can always release the same planets and starbases as vassals of your own choosing after you conquer them.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It was linked earlier today but here it is again, a mod to re-enable all the other CBs when you have a colossus:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1333393953

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Well when it rains, it pours.

I was growing kind of bored, since the end game crisis hadn't triggered and the galaxy was mostly at peace, so I decided to play kingmaker and get the UNE out of their single system by wrecking the purifiers neighboring them. So I sent my fleets to the other side of the galaxy, and though it cost me most of my energy credits due to going over caps, I was able to cut a solid third of the purifier's systems free.

I was just finishing up when I got the announcement that one of the FEs had awakened, but I didn't worry about it because they were nowhere near me (and were the peace-loving guys besides). Then I got the announcement that another FE had awakened in response to the first, and I started moving my fleets as fast as I could because that empire is right on my borders.

And that's when the Federation that contains 2/3 of my neighbors declared war on the machine empire that was under my protection, dragging me (and the other 1/3 of my neighbors) into a war on our half of the galaxy.

Now I just have to hope that I can delay my neighbor's fleet with corvette spam long enough for my fleet to get back into position.

I guess I'm not bored anymore!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Any suggestions for mid-late game corvette designs? Stick to interceptors, or have a bunch of torpedo ones as well?

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Any suggestions for mid-late game corvette designs? Stick to interceptors, or have a bunch of torpedo ones as well?

Auto Cannon + Regular or Proton Torpedo will be the highest bang for the buck. Protons are immune to PD for some reason on top.

Wassbix fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 19, 2018

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Kinda wish there was a mode where you could play as a Fallen Empire just as all these young upstarts got powerful and you gotta TAKE EM OUT

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Tried out this AI mod today in duo multiplayer with a friend http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1140543652 Seemed quite good, AI managed to take my friend out. Will probably have to lower difficulty for our next game.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Wassbix posted:

Auto Cannon + Regular or Proton Torpedo will be the highest bang for the buck. Protons are immune to PD for some reason on top.
I usually roll with disruptors + torpedoes. It's nice totally ignoring shields.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Does putting an outpost in a border system piss off Isolationist FEs, or just colonizing them?

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Does putting an outpost in a border system piss off Isolationist FEs, or just colonizing them?

Outposts count, even ones on the other side of wormholes you can't explore.

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

I had mutant horrors pop on a planet and they aren't killing my pops and I can't invade with my army, is there a way to fix it in Ironman or am I screwed?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do you have a colossus?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

imweasel09 posted:

Outposts count, even ones on the other side of wormholes you can't explore.

So as long as I keep a buffer of one system I should be good?

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

So as long as I keep a buffer of one system I should be good?

Yeah, just don't have a connecting travel point.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I hope the entire claims system gets a rework. It is clunky and confusing.
Let's say I'm in a Federation that goes to war, and one of my allies declares war. The only way to figure out which planets need to be sieged/taken is to navigate into the claims menu(not the war screen, which is missing this vital info), and to hover over each of the enemy systems, and see what claims my allies have.
And why is it that all claims are pressed at once? I have gone to war Fed vs Fed and I was expected to occupy 90% of 3 separate empires because if you make several claims, you press ALL claims. Think as if this was Crusader Kings 2, and every war was either random white peace where you occupied whatever you held or you simply took the entire nation. The game would be over in 20 years.
I hope they redo the entire claim system because it is confusing and makes wars painfully annoying. Heck, I bet you could copy/paste CK2's into this and it would work a million times better. Oh, and the -50 modifier to denying a Federation member's war that can be spammed every month is absurd.
I do like where the game is going, and overall it is great. But some of the systems are really broken.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Peachfart posted:

I hope the entire claims system gets a rework.

I like how if you vassalize someone they keep all their claims meaning A) they probably hate you, and B) if unless you have a million influence they will get a lot of territory off the nation you declare war on if you both have a border (likely).

And by "like" I mean "hate" because it's really bad design. It's the kind of braindead oversight (the kind that shows up immediately if you test it at all) that I'd expect from DICE or something.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Peachfart posted:

I hope the entire claims system gets a rework. It is clunky and confusing.
Let's say I'm in a Federation that goes to war, and one of my allies declares war. The only way to figure out which planets need to be sieged/taken is to navigate into the claims menu(not the war screen, which is missing this vital info), and to hover over each of the enemy systems, and see what claims my allies have.
And why is it that all claims are pressed at once? I have gone to war Fed vs Fed and I was expected to occupy 90% of 3 separate empires because if you make several claims, you press ALL claims. Think as if this was Crusader Kings 2, and every war was either random white peace where you occupied whatever you held or you simply took the entire nation. The game would be over in 20 years.
I hope they redo the entire claim system because it is confusing and makes wars painfully annoying. Heck, I bet you could copy/paste CK2's into this and it would work a million times better. Oh, and the -50 modifier to denying a Federation member's war that can be spammed every month is absurd.
I do like where the game is going, and overall it is great. But some of the systems are really broken.

status  quo  peace

Seriously, you're not "expected to occupy 90% of 3 separate empires". You're expected to occupy as much as you want to take in this particular war, and then press the "status quo" button.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'd actually say I love this game except:
Claims/war system needs to be redone
The game chugs even on my really solid system after 100 years or so
The AI is really stupid at wars and managing their territory
I don't really see any personality differences between empires like I would in like Civ 5. Every AI does the same thing, they just have a modifier that makes them like/hate certain other empires
I don't like how pirates just go 'surprise motherfucker' and spawn in a system that other ships can already be in. It is a sloppy mechanic
But overall this is the space EU/CK game I always wanted and I am addicted to. But some of the broken stuff is just so broken.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Jabor posted:

status  quo  peace

Seriously, you're not "expected to occupy 90% of 3 separate empires". You're expected to occupy as much as you want to take in this particular war, and then press the "status quo" button.

Remember, my ally declared war. So either I roll the dice and wait 20 years for war exhaustion to tick up enough for him to declare white peace with zero warning or I finish things.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That honestly seems fine. Take what you want for yourself, post fleets guarding it, let your allies do whatever until they decide they've had enough.

I guess it's annoying if you want to do any "not during wartime" diplomatic actions.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Any advice for dealing with the Contingency? They've just turned up in my game and currently have around 10 x 106k fleets with a few 200k fleets. My fleet capacity of 150 and total navy of 600 capacity means I'm only able to rock 3 fleets with about 25k damage each..

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

unicr0n posted:

Any advice for dealing with the Contingency? They've just turned up in my game and currently have around 10 x 106k fleets with a few 200k fleets. My fleet capacity of 150 and total navy of 600 capacity means I'm only able to rock 3 fleets with about 25k damage each..

Team up with other powers, only way you stand a chance. Also ensure your ships are designed specifically to combat Contingency vessels (Which I don't remember off the top of my head). Finally be aware that the big crises are meant to take decades to beat, so don't lose heart when it starts taking awhile.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
I was letting a game run in the background waiting for the Prethoryn Queen event to spawn for the achievement after locking down the last Prethoryns with battleships (it finally did in the 2600s...) and discovered a pretty useless bug:

If the cost of a tech gets too high it becomes free. New strat: Build very, very, very wide.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

unicr0n posted:

This steam guide has some good tips for fighting the contingency.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911980839

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Crazyeyes24 posted:

This steam guide has some good tips for fighting the contingency.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911980839

So I tried the corvette method mentioned in that guide and had limited success. My fleet of 150 corvettes took two attempts (attack / die / rebuilt to max / attack) to take out one single Contingency fleet.

I happened to take the Defender of the Galaxy perk right as the event triggered so my trust with neighbours is through the roof. A federation builder started a federation and once I joined most of the galaxy is now in. We'll just see how it plays out.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

unicr0n posted:

So I tried the corvette method mentioned in that guide and had limited success. My fleet of 150 corvettes took two attempts (attack / die / rebuilt to max / attack) to take out one single Contingency fleet.

I happened to take the Defender of the Galaxy perk right as the event triggered so my trust with neighbours is through the roof. A federation builder started a federation and once I joined most of the galaxy is now in. We'll just see how it plays out.

Just make sure you also follow the recommended power ratings. Its like one of the suggested fleets per 100k fleet power of one of the contingencies.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Twlight posted:

Is there somewhere where I can get an explination of how the new fleet manager works? I've been just allowing for auto designs currently, but sometimes i get "reinforce fleet" and i'm not exactly sure what that is doing? just an overview of the feature would be helpful if there is a place you can just read over it.

It's actually fairly straightforward once you know how it works. Basically, it lets you go "I want <X> number of this class of ship, <X> of that," etc. You press the Add Ship Class button to add new types of ships to the fleet and then you can adjust how many you want in that fleet. The Reinforce Fleet button tells your shipyards to make ships so the fleet matches the fleet you designed. It will always make the maximum number of ships that you can currently afford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Part of the issue might be that 25k fleet power for a 150 capacity fleet seems kind of low. Are your ships designs up to date? you should probably be able to get closer to the 60-80k range with that many corvettes