Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Untrustable posted:

The ghost Leviathan in the lost river is a juvenile? I must...process this. He is very large already, and is but a baby. I don't want to see a full grown one. Also why do the big fishes roar underwater? That bothers me. Not in a scientific sense but just on the sheer terror scale.

That was pretty much my reaction, too, ducking and weaving around him to scan him and then.. "That's a JUVENILE?!" :stonk:

Also the Reaper scan entry says the rhythmic roars basically function like echolocation. If you can hear him, he knows exactly where you are.

Edit: Try to not sound delicious.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In the current build, you're more likely to run into a fully grown Ghost first. I did so in the Cyclops. Gave Silent Running mode a workout.

Oh, the juvenile and adult Ghosts are different scans.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I actually saw a Reaper exactly once in my playthrough. I'd just built my cyclops and was trying to explore, I'm not sure exactly where I was going but all of a sudden I saw this huge serpentine form in the distance. I brought my Cyclops to a halt and it kind of.. twisted around, looked at me for a moment, I looked at it, then it gave a sort of a 'carry on' motion and swum off.

I did a 180.

Meanwhile, the Baby Ghost Satan had to be persuaded to leave my Prawn alone via application of fist to the face. He swooped at me, I grappled to his neck and beat him in the face for a bit, we agreed to leave each other in peace from then on.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Maybe it's the sound effect, but there is a deep satisfaction that settles into you when you zap some predator with the seamoth defense system. Punching ghosty is great and all but I enjoy chasing him and frying his rear end in my fragile bubblesub.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

It was an interesting shift in perception when I determined that the low breathy 'aaaaaaaaaaahh' noises I'd been hearing on and off for a good portion of the game were Reaper leviathans.

They're out there. Screaming. And they hate you.

It's the ones that aren't screaming to watch out for.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It somehow took me several hours until I encountered my first Reefback. Boy was finding the source of those noises a relief.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
That was me on my first day out.

"Hokay it's getting dark but maybe I can hang around right next to the pod and collect-"

bhwoooooooommmmmrrrrrrr

"Nope, gently caress that, back to the pod"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drake_263 posted:

That was me on my first day out.

"Hokay it's getting dark but maybe I can hang around right next to the pod and collect-"

bhwoooooooommmmmrrrrrrr

"Nope, gently caress that, back to the pod"

yup

e: at least the moons are nice for those first few nights where you stand on top of your pod praying for the dawn

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Yeah, I remember being scared of the reefbacks, then going "maaaaybe I should scan one," then going "what the gently caress a reefback is stuck on the geometry of my base AGAIN and tooting its drat foghorn all the time just go AWAY you big piece of barnacle crap"

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

if I could build my base on a reefback I would

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

if I could build my base on a reefback I would

i uninstalled when i found out you couldn't do this. reefbacks are so goddamn cool, except for their constant odious tootling.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So I have my one and only base (huge base) built right next to lifepod 2. Every time I come from the shallows or somewhere else the game kicks in with the fuckin "you're in the spooky zone" music. I'm always saying, "stop the spooky music I live here!". I did find that stepping into the observatory overrides the spooky music with relaxing observatory music though.

Edit: I've played pretty much every notable horror game since the SNES and nothing scares me like Subnautica. It's the big open spaces. Something could come rushing out at any moment. I haven't gotten any distress calls since lifepod 2 so I'm steeling myself to take the prawn on walkabout through the lost river and see if there's any story bits in there.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 20, 2018

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, I remember being scared of the reefbacks, then going "maaaaybe I should scan one," then going "what the gently caress a reefback is stuck on the geometry of my base AGAIN and tooting its drat foghorn all the time just go AWAY you big piece of barnacle crap"

I built a base in one of the red grass zones and the constant reefback calls had enough bass in them, they were making stuff on my desk vibrate.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I got this yesterday and have a few questions. I'm a few hours in--the rescue ship just exploded when I stopped for the night

1) Because I'm dumb, I didn't realize until later that you can scan the bits of wreckage for blueprints. Is there any unique stuff near the first few survival pods that's worth going back for?

2) In theory I have everything I need to make a simple base made entirely of corridors with no actual rooms. Is the PDA going to make this an objective at some point with a bit more explanation of how everything actually works, or is this is a situations where you're just supposed to mess around with it?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

cheetah7071 posted:

I got this yesterday and have a few questions. I'm a few hours in--the rescue ship just exploded when I stopped for the night

1) Because I'm dumb, I didn't realize until later that you can scan the bits of wreckage for blueprints. Is there any unique stuff near the first few survival pods that's worth going back for?

2) In theory I have everything I need to make a simple base made entirely of corridors with no actual rooms. Is the PDA going to make this an objective at some point with a bit more explanation of how everything actually works, or is this is a situations where you're just supposed to mess around with it?

There are some basic pieces of equipment whose fragments spawn near the escape pods are, usually. It's a good idea to go check the areas around them.

The game will not require you to build a base, ever, or give you any sort of guidance on how to do it. Hell, one of the most basic pieces of base structure, the multipurpose room, is something you have to find fragments/blueprints for out in the wild.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

cheetah7071 posted:

The grav trap and beacon fragments are found near the not-quite-wrecks in the shallows. Seaglide fragments can be found in the area, sometimes inside crates.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Paracelsus posted:

The grav trap and beacon fragments are found near the not-quite-wrecks in the shallows. Seaglide fragments can be found in the area, sometimes inside crates.

I got those near the Aurora. That was the first area I went to when I realized I should be scanning stuff

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

There are some basic pieces of equipment whose fragments spawn near the escape pods are, usually. It's a good idea to go check the areas around them.

The game will not require you to build a base, ever, or give you any sort of guidance on how to do it. Hell, one of the most basic pieces of base structure, the multipurpose room, is something you have to find fragments/blueprints for out in the wild.

Thanks. I'll go back to the old escape pods and maybe see about putting a minimalist base near a deep sea and I'm interested in, mostly to put an air refill deeper down, and have a refabricator and storage that isn't a kilometer away. Probably won't build anything too homey until I find the multipurpose room.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

cheetah7071 posted:

I got those near the Aurora. That was the first area I went to when I realized I should be scanning stuff

Thanks. I'll go back to the old escape pods and maybe see about putting a minimalist base near a deep sea and I'm interested in, mostly to put an air refill deeper down, and have a refabricator and storage that isn't a kilometer away. Probably won't build anything too homey until I find the multipurpose room.

Prioritize finding stuff for a Seamoth vehicle, is my recommendation. In addition to being fast, it refills your air when you enter it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think I just got the blueprints for that when the call from the Sunbeam came in. Not sure but I'll prioritize that when I start up again.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
To clarify, you absolutely can get by without building a base ever, but you're needlessly hamstringing yourself. Just a hobo tube with a couple of lockers makes things a lot easier and unless you somehow beeline to the Cyclops, you're going to have a hard time making progress without at least a moon pool, vehicle modification station, and an upgrade station. Not to mention having a scanner room making resource collecting and fragment searching so much easier.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drake_263 posted:

To clarify, you absolutely can get by without building a base ever, but you're needlessly hamstringing yourself. Just a hobo tube with a couple of lockers makes things a lot easier and unless you somehow beeline to the Cyclops, you're going to have a hard time making progress without at least a moon pool, vehicle modification station, and an upgrade station. Not to mention having a scanner room making resource collecting and fragment searching so much easier.

No you can't complete the game without building a base, you need to build at least a moonpool at some point. The Prawn Suit Depth Module MK1 can only be crafted in the vehicle modification station, and that requires a moonpool, Cyclopes not allowed. You can make the Mk2 and Mk3 depth modules in the normal Modification Station (which you can put in the Cyclopes) but not the first one.

You also can't beat the game without the Prawn Suit, you need the prawn suit depth upgrades to mine Kyanite for MK3 depth modules to get the Cyclopes into the final story areas.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

There are actually some fairly rare non-drilling kyanite spots down deep, but the idea of being in the lava zones without a prawn suit is just a bit scary.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You don't need the Prawn. You could build an air pump from the surface! It'll just take a lot of titanium.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yeah you can technically explore everything without a vehicle by using air tubes or growbeds with brain coral to give you air but aside from some crazy masochistic challenge run you would never ever do that.

I'm getting angry just thinking about it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

there are small kyanite gems near the lava castle, and you can just swim there. you're going to want a bunch of air tanks or build a corridor with power to restore air but you don't ever need to buid a prawn suit.

here's a < 1 hour speedrun. He makes a bunch of moonpools as respawn points but never uses them to craft stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f80JKyYhluY

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Rutibex posted:

No you can't complete the game without building a base, you need to build at least a moonpool at some point. The Prawn Suit Depth Module MK1 can only be crafted in the vehicle modification station, and that requires a moonpool, Cyclopes not allowed. You can make the Mk2 and Mk3 depth modules in the normal Modification Station (which you can put in the Cyclopes) but not the first one.

You also can't beat the game without the Prawn Suit, you need the prawn suit depth upgrades to mine Kyanite for MK3 depth modules to get the Cyclopes into the final story areas.

you could theoretically make an insanely long air pipe but haha wow effort

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

you could, technically, use outdoor growbeds and brain coral to make oxygen. With a reinforced dive suit to handle the temperature problems, I wonder how far you could go.

The longest wait for expansion is waiting for them to grow, I think.

How would you handle fabrication?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If there are people doing low-level runs of RPGs, and if that one guy is still shaving off the number of half A-presses it takes to beat Mario 64, then there is some very patient and very troubled person out there who is in the planning stages of a vehicle-less run of Subnautica.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I just built a 1-room base down there. Dove down with the materials and fabricated a single room and a bioreactor, and got my fill of non-drill Kyanite from there.

I also never found a single blueprint for the Thermal suit and would have no idea it existed if it wasn't for people talking about it in this thread. Same for the Stilsuit, never got anything about that either.

On the upside, the heat damage for free-swimming down there is pretty minor.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

If there are people doing low-level runs of RPGs, and if that one guy is still shaving off the number of half A-presses it takes to beat Mario 64, then there is some very patient and very troubled person out there who is in the planning stages of a vehicle-less run of Subnautica.

there's an exploit with the seaglide that roughly doubles your velocity so its already been done i'm sure

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I guess the hard part would be when you run out of pipes far enough from the surface that you can't actually make it back up in time. Hm. Die and respawn? Feels like cheating. Do multiple runs so you have stopping points on the way up at the expense of an exponential parallel work load? You can't sever an air line halfway down and make it usable, can you?

How long an air line can you run before it just stops working because the game's unloaded the surface chunk you started at?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm pretty sure making long air pipes corrupts the game because it doesn't like handling constructed entities that span large distances. At least when I tried to do it I got a busted save game as a result and had to revert to before I made the pipes.

I'm not a fan of the building in this game. Who the gently caress makes a survival game with building elements and then doesn't bug test the building to make sure it doesn't break the game?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm pretty sure making long air pipes corrupts the game because it doesn't like handling constructed entities that span large distances. At least when I tried to do it I got a busted save game as a result and had to revert to before I made the pipes.

I'm not a fan of the building in this game. Who the gently caress makes a survival game with building elements and then doesn't bug test the building to make sure it doesn't break the game?
Don't worry, they reduced how many places you can put cat posters rather than fix the underlying bugs that are why they keep trimming down the placement allowances over and over. Surely that mindset is just as good-

Whoops, a 6 room base in the safe shallows as you only construct still resulted in the quarantine gun vanishing from the map. Thankfully, it's a priority issue, just like falling through the cyclops since 2016 has the assurances it is a priority once the Devs got back from vacation.

Yes I'm loving salty over two year old gamebreaking bugs still getting the same "Stop being so impatient, don't you know fixes take time? Entitled gamers amiright" copy/pasted into Q1 2018. As much because all the great parts of the game make that embarrassing poo poo stand out that much more by comparison.

At least I'm not that one guy I read about who made it through hardcore, only to fall through their rocket as it was lifting off and lose their save at the literal last possible second.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 21, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Section Z posted:

Yes I'm loving salty over two year old gamebreaking bugs still getting the same "Stop being so impatient, don't you know fixes take time? Entitled gamers amiright" copy/pasted into Q1 2018. As much because all the great parts of the game make that embarrassing poo poo stand out that much more by comparison.

I think early access games will always just be inherently more buggy than normal games. Most of the sales revenue is generated before the game is even finished, meaning the incentive to fix bugs just sort of peters off over time. Like ARK: Survival Evolved, releasing DLCs before they bother to fix the underlying game. Because DLCs generate revenue and bug fixes don't.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

NmareBfly posted:

I guess the hard part would be when you run out of pipes far enough from the surface that you can't actually make it back up in time. Hm. Die and respawn? Feels like cheating. Do multiple runs so you have stopping points on the way up at the expense of an exponential parallel work load? You can't sever an air line halfway down and make it usable, can you?

How long an air line can you run before it just stops working because the game's unloaded the surface chunk you started at?

Pipes aren't limited to a single branch, you could do junctions every so often that have a random pipe sticking off as oxygen stations.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I think early access games will always just be inherently more buggy than normal games. Most of the sales revenue is generated before the game is even finished, meaning the incentive to fix bugs just sort of peters off over time. Like ARK: Survival Evolved, releasing DLCs before they bother to fix the underlying game. Because DLCs generate revenue and bug fixes don't.

That was also because Wildcard was going through a lawsuit at the time and needed a fresh cash flow to fight in court, and they still do tons of bugfixing at a slow but steady pace alongside having DLC

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Rutibex posted:

The Cyclops MKI and MKII depth modules don't actually require kyanite. You could theoretically build a Cyclops, plonk an upgrade station on it, and basically use your Cyclops as a giant Seamoth - skip the prawn suit entirely and just pop out to grab some of the few handpickable chunks of kyanite at the lava castle.

It'd be a completely dumbass and arbitrarily difficult way of playing the game, but you could do it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I've done a vehicle-less run, although it predated completion of the containment facility, the final cyclops mod recipes, and the rocket. It was actually kinda fun, and you can skip most of the resource-gathering stages because your tech needs are minimal. I did build a stopover base in the Lost River.

In addition to the Kyanite, getting into and out of the Thermal Plant for the Ion Battery/Power Cell recipes is going to be a pain.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Anyone else remember when placing the NS2 poster in the cyclops caused it to do endless barrel rolls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Drake_263 posted:

The Cyclops MKI and MKII depth modules don't actually require kyanite. You could theoretically build a Cyclops, plonk an upgrade station on it, and basically use your Cyclops as a giant Seamoth - skip the prawn suit entirely and just pop out to grab some of the few handpickable chunks of kyanite at the lava castle.

It'd be a completely dumbass and arbitrarily difficult way of playing the game, but you could do it.

Depends on how many spare ion cubes (and scrounged up freebie purple tablets to save on crafting) you have so you are allowed to make the second blue tablet, then Ion cells for the escape rocket. Since no drill means no drilling up the ion node in the lava castle, or the "3 cubes, every 4 minutes" infinite supply in the containment facility.

Swimming down there because of an absurd pipeline is probably the smaller logistical headache compared to "Aw poo poo, I forgot enough space crystals to get at more space places". Though obviously the more boring and drawn out one.

Gaining the Ion recipies is the easy part because that's just slamming a purple tablet into a console and pushing a button inside the room. It's making sure you have all the exotic materials you need, plus 1 if you want to portal back to mountain island to a pre-made base, that's probably a bigger stumble point if you take for granted how many extra ions you get via drill.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 21, 2018