Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sdoots posted:

Been hanging out in the New Blood Discord, and for what it's worth, this is a design choice. The idea is it leads to moments where it will pop when you desperately needed it, and when it pops and you didn't, you'll find yourself in a rush to find the next horde in ways that you otherwise wouldn't.

For what it's worth, and this is what I did with Painkiller as well, I end up keeping myself near topped off if I think I'm not going to need to use it soon and I'm playing a level for the first time. Then, when a fight breaks out, the first kill I get is usually enough to set it off.

Honestly surprised by the reaction to AMID EVIL here. I adored DUSK and I think I might like AE more. The maps all flow super well, the weapons feel good, and the look is really nice.

I think it's necessary since if you could pop it manually a lot of people (*cough*) would never pop it except on like a boss or whatever and it wouldn't get used anything like as often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Sdoots posted:

The maps all flow super well, the weapons feel good, and the look is really nice.

I agree with all that, it's just that the enemies are... pfffffffffffft.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Lemon-Lime posted:

I just want a mapset with some bright colours so it fits GMOTA/Bullet-Eye's SNES trappings. :(

Mr Icarus was using Brotherhood of Ruin and BoR: The Lost Temple, both of which fit the low-tech idea. I've been playing through Scythe for the first time with it and I will always hate insta-death level ends.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BaconCopter posted:

Mr Icarus was using Brotherhood of Ruin and BoR: The Lost Temple, both of which fit the low-tech idea. I've been playing through Scythe for the first time with it and I will always hate insta-death level ends.

I've also been using BoR, but even BoR is brown and gritty (if less so than vanilla D2). I want Adventures of Square levels of colour. :v:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Does it work in Chex Quest?? :v:

:wtc: another death end into by far the 3 hardest maps I've seen in the pack. Yeah, no thanks Scythe, this got unfun pretty fast.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lemon-Lime posted:

I've also been using BoR, but even BoR is brown and gritty (if less so than vanilla D2). I want Adventures of Square levels of colour. :v:

Does it work with Heretic?

You could perhaps check Realms of Zoon. Legacy of Heroes uses the Eternal Doom texture theme so it has color but also a lot of browns. Perhaps Hell Ground? Some, but not all, of the themes of the Alfonzone?

There's also Shadows of the Nightmare Realm which is very colorful, but it's mostly through colored lighting rather than through texture themes; but it uses a lot of custom monsters so it might not be perfectly compatible. (Also the narrative framing device is techy, but it doesn't really last long.)

The most colorful map sets I can think of feature a lot of techy elements, sorry. Stuff made by Ribbiks or Skillsaw.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

wafflemoose posted:

Really digging DUSK. Episode One was good but Two has blown me away, I missed the days of FPSes having trippy levels and DUSK delivers on that front.

Which FPS game had the trippiest levels?

Someone's already mentioned The Sword from Thief but it deserves mentioning again because that level was extremely dope.

The overlapping room capabilities of the Marathon map format weren't exploited much in the Bungie campaigns, but I bet there's fan-maps out there that take it to 11. Also, special mention of the deathmatch map 5-D Space.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ToxicFrog posted:

Someone's already mentioned The Sword from Thief but it deserves mentioning again because that level was extremely dope.

The overlapping room capabilities of the Marathon map format weren't exploited much in the Bungie campaigns, but I bet there's fan-maps out there that take it to 11. Also, special mention of the deathmatch map 5-D Space.

Marathon mapping rarely focuses on tripping the player out but there’s definitely some of that kind of stuff in Infinity. The dream levels and Hang Brain and such. Since dream levels are pretty much a series tradition most of the fan made scenarios at least try their hand at them. Rubicon’s are pretty spooky with the little fusion lights chasing you around. Probably the weirdest stuff would be in Pfh’joueur since the whole thing basically feels like a hosed up fever dream.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BaconCopter posted:

Does it work in Chex Quest?? :v:

:wtc: another death end into by far the 3 hardest maps I've seen in the pack. Yeah, no thanks Scythe, this got unfun pretty fast.

I don’t know what mod you’re playing through Scythe with but it’s intentionally broken into three episodes of ten levels each with death exits. Unless you’re very good at Doom it’s also recommended to turn the difficulty down (example from UV to HMP) for the last third.

Edit: after some poking around, Misri Halek has deathmatch spawns. That must be a hell of a deathmatch map.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 20, 2018

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

GMOTA. Well drat, that should've been pretty obvious, yeah it seems UV is too much for me during ep 3. So many enemies, not enough ammo, and the GMOTA Edgelord is appropriately a shitter.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
You know, I'd almost completely forgotten that Max Payne 1 is actually pretty difficult. Enemies react quicker than you can (literally, it takes Max longer to raise his gun and open fire than it does some random goons), shootdodge has a long recovery time, and a single good burst can take you down from full to zero in the blink of an eye. Been hammering F5 like it's going out of style. It's also still kind of busted even after a bunch of fanpatches and forcing vsync on.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Pope Guilty posted:

I think it's necessary since if you could pop it manually a lot of people (*cough*) would never pop it except on like a boss or whatever and it wouldn't get used anything like as often.

Isn't that basically what people would do in Quake 2, where you could horde most power-ups--including the Quad Damage--resulting in boss fights that lasted 2 or 3 seconds?

EDIT: I will say that I understand the logic behind Amid Evil's current system for handling the overpower mode (and it's probably one of the best straightforward ways to handle it), but I will also say that I seem to end up triggering it at the end of a fight about 30-35% of the time, and then being in a position where it's fading by the time I get to the next fight.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 20, 2018

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Mordja posted:

You know, I'd almost completely forgotten that Max Payne 1 is actually pretty difficult. Enemies react quicker than you can (literally, it takes Max longer to raise his gun and open fire than it does some random goons), shootdodge has a long recovery time, and a single good burst can take you down from full to zero in the blink of an eye. Been hammering F5 like it's going out of style. It's also still kind of busted even after a bunch of fanpatches and forcing vsync on.

Hey I just checked pgamingwiki and it looks like you can finally play the game over 60fps by using a dx8 to dx9 wrapper. Guess I'm playing through it again

Another listed fix for missing audio is using IndirectSound. it doesn't emulate EAX effects yet but the 3D sound works, it's just a little strange in Max Payne cause the audio works as if you're listening through Max's head rather than where the camera's at

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 20, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'd installed a sound fix at first but I've just using the all-in-one linked from the wiki. It was mostly fine but very specific sections of a few levels were giving me moments of extreme, unplayable frameskipping until I restarted the game. I did just read that I should have double-buffering on instead of triple and that might have fixed things? I also just got to the first time you pick up a Colt Commando and some things are coming back to me, like the fact that you might as well use nothing but the Colt Commando. :v:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mordja posted:

Use this to even the odds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDB8vEXgpZo

Saw this in the Awful/Awesome mods thread

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Sideway rolls in Max Payne 1 really gently caress with enemy AI. That plus the shotgun make the first half of the game significantly easier.

The tradition is alive and well in Max Payne 3 except it's running sideways that makes you borderline invincible even when not in bullet time.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mordja posted:

There's an all in one fanpatch on Steam guides which got it working fine for me. I tried the individual ones but it was still a stuttery mess.

Also you know quicksaving and reloading basically maxes out the dynamic difficulty? I had that problem back on release, it's a dumb design decision.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

You could perhaps check Realms of Zoon. Legacy of Heroes uses the Eternal Doom texture theme so it has color but also a lot of browns. Perhaps Hell Ground? Some, but not all, of the themes of the Alfonzone?

There's also Shadows of the Nightmare Realm which is very colorful, but it's mostly through colored lighting rather than through texture themes; but it uses a lot of custom monsters so it might not be perfectly compatible. (Also the narrative framing device is techy, but it doesn't really last long.)

The most colorful map sets I can think of feature a lot of techy elements, sorry. Stuff made by Ribbiks or Skillsaw.

I'll check some of these out, thanks!

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
You guys might want to pop into the New Blood Discord for yourselves and bring some of this stuff up. The lead dev, Leon, is in the Amid Evil channel fairly often and seems pretty receptive to feedback.

I guess I figure if a game is EA and the devs are easy to reach, I'd want to try to take advantage of that, is where I'm going with this.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mordja posted:

Enemies react quicker than you can

This is probably intentional, the game is designed pretty much entirely around bullet time as a mechanic. They want you to take cover and recharge your bullet time before going into combat, and when you're in bullet time or shootdodging the fast enemy reaction time isn't an issue. Just try to think of it more like a third-person Hotline Miami than a traditional cover shooter. You want to get the drop on enemies by being a whirling dervish of slow-mo death, you can't just run out into the open and approach them in the normal way.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah that was something that really stood out to me in Max Payne 1 was just how fragile Max is. They definitely made him a bit tougher and more mobile 2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Convex posted:

Also you know quicksaving and reloading basically maxes out the dynamic difficulty? I had that problem back on release, it's a dumb design decision.
No I did not! Huh, weird.

King Vidiot posted:

This is probably intentional, the game is designed pretty much entirely around bullet time as a mechanic. They want you to take cover and recharge your bullet time before going into combat, and when you're in bullet time or shootdodging the fast enemy reaction time isn't an issue. Just try to think of it more like a third-person Hotline Miami than a traditional cover shooter. You want to get the drop on enemies by being a whirling dervish of slow-mo death, you can't just run out into the open and approach them in the normal way.
I've tested it and they raise their guns faster than Max animates, even in bullet time. You pretty much have to start pulling the trigger while you're still behind a corner. Honestly I haven't found it to be too useful; you just move so slowly and so do your bullets. I've largely been using the shootdodge. I went and looked up some MP2 videos and combat's definitely more "forgiving" what with the ability to keep firing from the ground after shootdodge, and the fact that you actually move at around normal speed in bullet time and your guns remain near-hitscan.

Still, I'm having fun with the first game and I just love the entire, cheesy "New York under Ragnarok" theme it's got going.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mordja posted:

I've tested it and they raise their guns faster than Max animates, even in bullet time. You pretty much have to start pulling the trigger while you're still behind a corner.

It's been a long time since I played Max Payne, but isn't there an "aim gun without firing" button you can use for that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game's dynamic difficulty is definitely tuned way too high, always has been. I wish there were a mod to make it more fair, Especially since the game is very openly moddable, but I've never found one.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I find the shoot-dodge in Max Payne 1 to be more of a trap, since you're going to get riddled while Max stands back up at the end. The real secret of the first game is the roll. Shoot, roll, shoot, roll, etc.. I ignored it for a long time because it looked painfully slow when I was fooling around with the controls, but it's actually a very fast dodge performed halfway into bullet time.

Also, the Colt Commando is the only weapon in the game to fire just as quickly in bullet time as it does outside of it, which is to say that it's effectively faster in bullet time. Just drop a two or three round burst at the top of every head and you'll very nearly break even on your time lost/time gained ratio.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Glagha posted:

Yeah that was something that really stood out to me in Max Payne 1 was just how fragile Max is. They definitely made him a bit tougher and more mobile 2.

He's been eating nothing but painkillers the entire time, his body's completely wracked.

I loved that as a health mechanic; combined with his psyche breaking down he really was a walking corpse at the end.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

All that talk about audio stuff reminds me that A3D vs. EAX was once a thing, and that I'm not sure either protocol is supported nowadays via third-party wrappers or anything.

I mean, I recall installing that Creative ALchemy thingamabob when I was setting up Halo on this PC, but that's about all I recall. I'm also aware it's only something for old games and that modern games have all those fancy HRTF and reverb effects built-in stock if they're going to use them at all, but it's been something I've been curious about. I definitely have experience with EAX via my use of a Sound Blaster Live! and Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Edition back in the day, but A3D is entirely foreign to me. (Though I'm hesitant to use either in my Windows 98 rig, as their OPL emulation is just the pits.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, the reason the dynamic difficulty in Max Payne 1 skyrockets if you quicksave/quickload is because you're intended to just let deaths happen. The game uses pretty simple math to determine how much aim assist you get, how much damage enemies deal and so on, but those numbers only get a hard noticeable smack when you die, otherwise it adjusts in small unnoticeable gradations. It's a weird logistic error that Max Payne 2 corrects. Here's how the difficulty curving is supposed to go:

Player does well -> difficulty goes up -> game is now challenging -> player dies, loads their save -> difficulty goes back down -> repeat

But the way people sometimes play it, it goes like this:

Player does well -> difficulty goes up -> game is now challenging -> player loads their quicksave instead of dying -> difficulty returns to what it was at the quicksave -> repeat

The game only lowers the difficulty when you're actually struggling, so if you quicksave and quickload over and over until a fight goes well, it creates this feedback loop where the game assumes you're coming out on top even if you aren't and the difficulty just ramps up to the maximum and stays there.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 20, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm still guilty of it, but I have mostly been quickloading only when I die. Otherwise Max has been limping around a lot of the game with that sliver of health you regen automatically, clutching a single thing of painkillers just in case. And yeah, the Colt's definitely made the difficulty spike downwards since I got it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Huh I had no idea mp1 even had dynamic difficulty

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Shadow Hog posted:

All that talk about audio stuff reminds me that A3D vs. EAX was once a thing, and that I'm not sure either protocol is supported nowadays via third-party wrappers or anything.

I mean, I recall installing that Creative ALchemy thingamabob when I was setting up Halo on this PC, but that's about all I recall. I'm also aware it's only something for old games and that modern games have all those fancy HRTF and reverb effects built-in stock if they're going to use them at all, but it's been something I've been curious about. I definitely have experience with EAX via my use of a Sound Blaster Live! and Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Edition back in the day, but A3D is entirely foreign to me. (Though I'm hesitant to use either in my Windows 98 rig, as their OPL emulation is just the pits.)

Thief's Newdark patch does OpenAL shenanigans as well, I think.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Arivia posted:

Edit: after some poking around, Misri Halek has deathmatch spawns. That must be a hell of a deathmatch map.

cool, you found the only way to make that level worse

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Shadow Hog posted:

I'd really like to see an A3D wrapper so I can try it out on the few games that do support it, like Half-Life before that linux patch, which also lost support for EAX and the most important console command cl_gibcount :argh:
If you have a creative card you can emulate EAX through Alchemy, or as Two Owls mentioned, NewDark supports EAX through OpenAL Soft for Thief and System Shock 2. There's also the oldunreal patch for various unreal engine games that supports ALAudio. Can't remember if that supports EAX or not but it does support HRTF

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 20, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

A3D got adopted into EAX as a result of the A3D people getting massively sued in the 90s. EAX is still directly supported today in a few of Creative's standalone audio cards, should you really want that.

The software emulation used for those cards can be hacked to work with other modern sound cards, but it's tricky. Additionally if you're running Linux there's support for part of EAX's functionality on any sound card when running Windows games that used it through WINE.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
wasnt there some debate back in the day about how a3d was "real" 3d audio but eax was just like a hack/trick to make it seem like it was. does anyone know what im talking about or am i just misremembering?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

HolyKrap posted:

I'd really like to see an A3D wrapper so I can try it out on the few games that do support it, like Half-Life before that linux patch, which also lost support for EAX and the most important console command cl_gibcount :argh:

I have fond memories of playing TFC with cl_gibcount=200 :allears:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

site posted:

wasnt there some debate back in the day about how a3d was "real" 3d audio but eax was just like a hack/trick to make it seem like it was. does anyone know what im talking about or am i just misremembering?
Yes. My understanding is that with EAX the level author has to pick a sound type for a space (IE make this room sound hollow, this one sound open, etc). A3D changes how sounds are played back in real-time based on how sound reflects off the level geometry.

The super-lame part is that Creative did nothing with A3D after bankrupting Aureal with a lawsuit and buying them. If they would have pushed that tech more, maybe Creative would still be a player today.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I'll post this every time A3D is brought up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSlbyLAksM
Still one of the best sound demos I've seen and it's 20 years old

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Has the level progression used in Ion Maiden been done before? Each level is multiple maps "stitched" together, and retains their individual state (items taken, enemies killed, events triggered, etc) regardless of the player occupying it.

As I wrote this I realized this is actually how tons of games do things, it just stood out to me here because of the tech aspect. (The maps are legitimately big as hell, though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sdoots posted:

Has the level progression used in Ion Maiden been done before? Each level is multiple maps "stitched" together, and retains their individual state (items taken, enemies killed, events triggered, etc) regardless of the player occupying it.

As I wrote this I realized this is actually how tons of games do things, it just stood out to me here because of the tech aspect. (The maps are legitimately big as hell, though)

In the era it's meant to evoke: Strife and Hexen are probably the biggest examples of it.

From what I've played so far, Ion Maiden does seem to do a better job of it.