Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Glukeose posted:

not terrible, but I was left feeling stiffed by the length.
Well it's important to understand how your mum feels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

:drat:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The Darkness II is a cool game but every time I start it I have to remember to mute the TV as the developer logo is a violent screaming noise about 200 times louder the the game itself. Scares the poo poo out of me if I forget about it.

It also can't be skipped or disabled even on PC :eng99:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Gun parrying is insanely cool both mechanically and stylistically. Bloodborne owns.

Stylistically it's cool but mechanically it's the same as every kind of parry out there.

Hell, Yakuza has the Tiger Drop, which is a move which you duck under an opponent's attack and gut punch them, sending them flying back fifteen feet and doing a huge amount of damage. I like that one better, though again it's the same mechanically.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It's not, though, because you can parry at a pretty huge distance if you guess when they're going to attack.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Stylistically it's cool but mechanically it's the same as every kind of parry out there.
Parrying at range makes a huge difference, and I also found the timing window way more forgiving than any of the Dark Souls.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just so I'm not blindly praising it, I do have one problem with Bloodborne: the cannon becomes pretty worthless early into New Game+. Being able to take a good chunk off every boss off the bat, and loving destroying some of the more annoying hunter fights with it felt really great.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Twitch posted:

Just so I'm not blindly praising it, I do have one problem with Bloodborne: the cannon becomes pretty worthless early into New Game+. Being able to take a good chunk off every boss off the bat, and loving destroying some of the more annoying hunter fights with it felt really great.

I feel the cannon nerfs were really unnecessary. Being able to only fire it 2x with using blood bullets, and if I remember it affects your stamina recovery? And considering how hard blood rocks are to get for the average player it's never going to do max damage.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Convex posted:

The Darkness II is a cool game but every time I start it I have to remember to mute the TV as the developer logo is a violent screaming noise about 200 times louder the the game itself. Scares the poo poo out of me if I forget about it.

It also can't be skipped or disabled even on PC :eng99:

You might be able to go and delete the video file or replace it with something else, that usually works.

E: or, on Steam, go into properties and there should be a text bar somewhere where you can put in -nointro which usually works.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Mar 20, 2018

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You might be able to go and delete the video file or replace it with something else, that usually works.

E: or, on Steam, go into properties and there should be a text bar somewhere where you can put in -nointro which usually works.

Unfortunately the game files appear to be encrypted, and there isn't a startup parameter to disable them either :sigh:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

It's also false. The parry timing is different for each attack; for the giants in the chalice dungeons, the timing is right as they smack you in the face. You then riposte for all your hp back. If you do it during the swing, you'll only eat poo poo instead of eating poo poo but also staggering them.

I was just running some chalices and that trick for the timing worked equally well for all of the enmies you could call giants :shrug:

Unless you mean the undead giants, in which case I didn't even realize those could be parried.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They can’t, but there is some visceral trigger for them which I have never figured out how to reproduce after hundreds of hours. It’s not hitting the head unlike everything else. It just randomly happens when I hit them sometimes.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I love DMC4 more than I love life, and I love DMC4:SE even more than that, but some design decisions are just so lazy, it's almost impressive.

I'll always defend the re-use of the same maps when playing as Nero and then Dante, not because it's not bad practice, but because I'd rather have 5 characters that play very differently from each other than having a longer or more varied experience the first time through, and I understand that time is a finite ressource. They also made some effort to differentiate between the Nero and Dante playthrough (with varying levels of success), and I'm going to play the game a dozen times anyway, so replaying maps isn't a concern.

But what strikes me as even lazier than that is that the maps aren't just re-used; they're copy-pasted with the minimal amount of change to make you run through them on a different path, which is really obvious when you look at item placement. When Nero gets a green orb before a boss (to make sure you start the fight with a modicum of health), Dante will find the same one at the same place, but for him it'll be at the very start of a mission, after starting at full health, so completely useless. Red orbs caches are also hidden in the same spots, so instead of an easy opportunity for a quick hide-and-seek, it becomes an annoying detour for your S rank (well, it always becomes that, but it's even faster because they share the same caches).

A similar thing happens in the Bloody Palace; every level right after a boss is a super easy floor with enemies that drop green orbs, like nothing but Chimera, an enemiy that dies in one move and always drops health, which would be a cool way to bring you back to full health after a tough fight, but all the bosses drop a full health orb when they die, so you're always at full health when starting those floors.

Might seem kinda weird that I'm not bothered by the game actually being half a game that was mirrored to make long enough and I'm angry at useless but ultimately harmless orbs that aren't as well placed as I'd like them to be, but I feel like this shows that the balance wasn't as well thought out as in the other games.

I'll still play this loving game until I die.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Digirat posted:

They can’t, but there is some visceral trigger for them which I have never figured out how to reproduce after hundreds of hours. It’s not hitting the head unlike everything else. It just randomly happens when I hit them sometimes.

It's damage thresholds and I think "limb break". No clue how it works in practice though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been trying to play the original Devil May Cry but it's really clunky and I'm having a lot of trouble at the first fight with Phantom. I feel I'm getting better, but the fact that every time I run out of yellow orbs I have to do the entire mission again really hurts my will to play it. Especially because if I do beat it I'll likely be trying to do the secret mission after for the health upgrades, so the inability to save mid-mission really bites.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been trying to play the original Devil May Cry but it's really clunky and I'm having a lot of trouble at the first fight with Phantom. I feel I'm getting better, but the fact that every time I run out of yellow orbs I have to do the entire mission again really hurts my will to play it. Especially because if I do beat it I'll likely be trying to do the secret mission after for the health upgrades, so the inability to save mid-mission really bites.

My advice is to just persist. It's been ages since I played so I can't give you any decent tips on how to actually win, but I recall that when I played both DMC1 and 3 I got stuck on their respective first bosses for aaaaages. Eventually it just clicked and I managed to win, and going back to the fights I never had too much trouble again. It was weird how that happened, but I guess eventually you just get a feel for the patterns

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Kit Walker posted:

My advice is to just persist. It's been ages since I played so I can't give you any decent tips on how to actually win, but I recall that when I played both DMC1 and 3 I got stuck on their respective first bosses for aaaaages. Eventually it just clicked and I managed to win, and going back to the fights I never had too much trouble again. It was weird how that happened, but I guess eventually you just get a feel for the patterns

Yeah, sometimes I do better and sometimes I do worse. I'll probably not bother with the secret missions and just focus on beating the normal missions, because it's not like the health upgrades are really worth it - they barely make the health bar move from what I can see. It doesn't make you feel like your getting appreciably more powerful at least early on. I know I can do it though, the furthest I ever got in the game was the first fight with Nightmare. (the one with the Darkness Orbs)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Bio, do play the second DMC at some point. I've heard nothing but awful things about it, and you always seem to find the peanuts in a pile of poo poo.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
DMC 3 and 4 are loving baller. if you wanna play DmC though, you'd be better off playing any God of War game, its the same thing with that game. just not the upcoming god of war HOO BOY thats not looking good

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Leavemywife posted:

Bio, do play the second DMC at some point. I've heard nothing but awful things about it, and you always seem to find the peanuts in a pile of poo poo.

This is definitely material for the sister thread, but DMC2 actually has a few cool things. It's the first game with twosome time, rain storm and a few moves that would later become the Trickster style. It has a dedicated dodge button, quick weapon switching and extra characters that weren't just costumes. And while it was really loving bad, it has the first instance of the bloody palace.

DMC2 is a bunch of cool ideas badly implemented onto a garbage gameplay core.

Edit: While we're here, it has a very short air combo which I absolutely loved and I believe led into the aerial combo of DMC3's Swordmaster style, and it has, in my opinion, the biggest jump in quality in regards to the camera. It gets better with every game, but the jump from 1 to 2 is, if I remember right, a pretty big one.

Edit 2: Oh wait, I just remembered the part in the sewers where you have to stab walls for a while. The camera sucked. Never mind.

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 02:01 on Mar 21, 2018

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Digirat posted:

I know if you break the pustules they have growing on them they take a ton of damage, I forget if that also flinches them. I guess if you've played for hundreds of hours you're probably tried that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, sometimes I do better and sometimes I do worse. I'll probably not bother with the secret missions and just focus on beating the normal missions, because it's not like the health upgrades are really worth it - they barely make the health bar move from what I can see. It doesn't make you feel like your getting appreciably more powerful at least early on. I know I can do it though, the furthest I ever got in the game was the first fight with Nightmare. (the one with the Darkness Orbs)

The hump for me was realizing that you will be mercilessly punished if you try to stay on the defensive with Phantom. Stay up in his face as much as possible, never not be using Stinger when possible (IIRC, you can break his fireball charge up/the fireball itself with good timing and deal even more damage?), and if you want to get a little saucier you can try hopping up on his back to land some more hits.

It's definitely not worth trying to get all of the secret missions on a first run. Not only is doing that stupid underwater skulls one before every single Phantom attempt a pain in the rear end, but immediately afterwards you have the really hard one where you have to fight three shadow cat things simultaneously.

Of course, I say all of this when I'm pretty sure I my interest in the game tapered off when I couldn't knock out Phantom in the hallway for the bonus souls and got really annoyed. :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I defeated Phantom on my final life and barely thanks to the Devil Trigger. Didn't realize it halved damage as well as giving the powers. I was able to play a little more carelessly thanks to that. I tend to have more trouble with good games than mediocre ones, probably because the good games try to make you use all the mechanics effectively rather than allowing you to mash through it all. Deffo buying more D-Trigger symbols before the next mission. I think the reason I never used it was because I only unlocked one Alastor attack so thought that that weapon would have an inferior moveset, but the standard d-trig combos are awesome.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

spit on my clit posted:

DMC 3 and 4 are loving baller. if you wanna play DmC though, you'd be better off playing any God of War game, its the same thing with that game. just not the upcoming god of war HOO BOY thats not looking good

God of War already suffered from "Man, everyone else is way cooler than Kratos" for me and hot drat if it's not gonna be 100x worse in Norse land.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I haven't heard much about it and the "Dad teaching his son to fight" is already more likable than Kratos has been - what is it that looks bad about it, is it just ripping off Horizon without adding much new or does the gameplay just look bad?

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
From the footage that's out there it looks like a total trend-chaser of a game.

Super basic 'mash light attack on enemies that never hit back' gameplay, like dark souls without the parts that make dark souls work
Totally unnecessary and uninteresting rpg systems where you make number go up so that you hit slightly harder than before
Crafting systems that only exist to make the rpg systems not feel like a complete waste of time
Giving main character a vulnerable child to look after as a cheap way to make an emotional appeal and make the audience think the game is really about something

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BioEnchanted posted:

I haven't heard much about it and the "Dad teaching his son to fight" is already more likable than Kratos has been - what is it that looks bad about it, is it just ripping off Horizon without adding much new or does the gameplay just look bad?

That renown, gory third person melee brawler, Horizon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The new God of War... looks good. I think it will be good, and my gamer instincts are never wrong.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm gonna rent it rather than go off the goon hive mind. Until Dawn looked bad according to goons and it was a really good cool and fun game. Resident Evil 7 was a lovely Outlast clone until it came out and oh look it's a Resident Evil game with combat exactly like Capcom told us it would be.

For content I started playing Chrono Trigger DS and it retroactively is ruining my Chrono Trigger psx memories. I remember it being really fun and good but having lots of loading times and the fact those don't exist now is wonderful.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Len posted:

Resident Evil 7 was a lovely Outlast clone until it came out and oh look it's a Resident Evil game with combat exactly like Capcom told us it would be.

Only total idiots ever thought this though.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Len posted:

For content I started playing Chrono Trigger DS and it retroactively is ruining my Chrono Trigger psx memories. I remember it being really fun and good but having lots of loading times and the fact those don't exist now is wonderful.

It's weird that there were ever loading times, since they managed to avoid them on the original SNES version

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Not weird at all, reading from a CD was slower than reading from a cart.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Len posted:

I'm gonna rent it rather than go off the goon hive mind. Until Dawn looked bad according to goons and it was a really good cool and fun game. Resident Evil 7 was a lovely Outlast clone until it came out and oh look it's a Resident Evil game with combat exactly like Capcom told us it would be.

All I know is I look at the GoW previews with the guy throwing the axe and splitting the monsters in half with the axe, then kicking down a bridge and throwing a dude off that same bridge, and it's ticking all my "this is extremely cool poo poo" synapses.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Never preorder a game and if you do want to buy it at launch, wait at least 2 weeks for the hype to die down and for people to begin noticing its flaws.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I buy games at full price on release because I know what I like and am not easily swayed by goon opinions.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Samuringa posted:

Never preorder a game and if you do want to buy it at launch, wait at least 2 weeks for the hype to die down and for people to begin noticing its flaws.

Or the reverse with DO4M, where everyone thought it was going to be terrible. Two weeks after release everyone went "holy poo poo it's awesome!" and it was. I do miss monster closets and running around Doom and Doom 2 levels a bit though.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's weird that there were ever loading times, since they managed to avoid them on the original SNES version

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Not weird at all, reading from a CD was slower than reading from a cart.

It's this, plus from what I remember those SNES to PS1 ports of Square games? They weren't technically ports. They were the original SNES rom running on an emulator.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Or the reverse with DO4M, where everyone thought it was going to be terrible. Two weeks after release everyone went "holy poo poo it's awesome!" and it was. I do miss monster closets and running around Doom and Doom 2 levels a bit though.

DOOM's early reception was the fault of Bethesda more than anything, they picked the absolute worst people to show the game off and it gave everyone a horrible impression.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Yardbomb posted:

DOOM's early reception was the fault of Bethesda more than anything, they picked the absolute worst people to show the game off and it gave everyone a horrible impression.

That, plus giving beta access to the terrible multiplayer instead of giving people a demo of the real game. The reception was so bad that they had to delete the Steam page and make a new one at release so it wasn't filled with negative reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DOOM was a game I was very happy to be wrong about. Thankfully that Nvidia tech demo came around and showed the actual capabilities of the game.