Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I still manage to 7/7 or 8/8 95% of my Jason rounds so either I'm god tier or you aren't playing high level Jasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You never want to even let it go that far if you're using 4. I don't even bother with a basic trap at the phone, just jump right to where people are bound to be congregating in the early going (like the big houses) and murder the poo poo out of anyone unfortunate enough to be caught in front of you. Play disruption.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DeathChicken posted:

You never want to even let it go that far if you're using 4. I don't even bother with a basic trap at the phone, just jump right to where people are bound to be congregating in the early going (like the big houses) and murder the poo poo out of anyone unfortunate enough to be caught in front of you. Play disruption.

I do this a lot with Part 8 and 9 and it works really well. Most games I Jason end by running out the clock or a lucky call the cops. The 4-seater ends most rounds surrounded by dead counselors and car parts. Part 9's strong Stalk and Shift is so god drat good. Stalk, Morph behind a cabin near an objective, then Shift at the objective and I can almost guarantee you'll catch some nerd trying to install something. They never know anything's up until their spine is already liquified :murder:

Come to think of it, all my favourite Jasons (5,8,9) all have +Stalk

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m an average jason and I have been wrecking poo poo since the last update. Almost every game I play as a counselor is 6/8 or better.

Jason only going 2/8 has to be a newbie or the worst luck possible.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Or you're me and you've gotten irritated enough with a dancing Chad to go "gently caress the car currently escaping, gently caress the boat getting away, *you* die, you die again when you rez as Tommy, and I will be satisfied with my two kills"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

DeathChicken posted:

Or you're me and you've gotten irritated enough with a dancing Chad to go "gently caress the car currently escaping, gently caress the boat getting away, *you* die, you die again when you rez as Tommy, and I will be satisfied with my two kills"

I can literally have a counselor injured and trapped in a house with no escape and if I hear a trap being sprung or a repair minigame being botched I will drop what I'm doing to go take care of that. I'm in no hurry to kill counselors unless the police have been called. I'd much rather focus on keeping my plates spinning.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I find in my games if I try to draw things out, it just means the councilors will get organized enough to pull some bullshit like someone fixing the phone while guarded by someone else with fireworks and a shotgun while a third person is waiting next to the phone to call while I'm in a clusterfuck of stuns. This has happened, it wasn't fun.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I'm bad at playing Jason, any tips?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I'm bad at playing Jason, any tips?

Kill the counselors.

Joking aside, pick a Jason you like (try them out on bots or whatever). Look at their strengths/weaknesses - slow shift/morph are probably the worst two weaknesses, -knives easily the best. Don't play 7 unless you're on Higgens and you're willing to use the water as a freeway.

In early game, morph to a power box, knock it out, get to the nearest objective and trap it. Morph to the phone if you haven't already, and trap it. If you have bonus traps, also trap the corner of the phone house. When you trap cars, always get the spot in front of the battery because it's unavoidable. Gas can be tricky, and you have to trap a little behind the door - if you trap the driver door itself, I can just walk to the passenger door and inch up until I can get in around your trap. Hit the other power boxes with your next set of morphs - once the lights go out, the fear racks up, and you will be able to sense counselors more easily.

Play to the strengths of your Jason - if you're 4, for example, ignore most of that and start running down counselors. All of 4's strengths are early game, so morph to and trap the phone then run to the nearest noise bubble and start hacking/slashing. If they make it to the late game, it won't be with safe places to run, so you're weaknesses won't hurt as much. Running Jasons can run down characters, but (unless you're 4) don't do it early game, get the power boxes and objectives - unless the counselor you happen on is an objective fixer. Deb/Chappa/Mitch all have lovely stamina and a running Jason can pretty easily run them down if they aren't in a group of houses.

Winning with Jason is largely about time management - don't go after fast + high stamina characters early, you're wasting your setup time and the allowing everyone else to search to their hearts content. If you have door destruction take the whacks to knock out a door - if you force someone out of a house before they finish searching it, even if you aren't going for the kill, they may miss an objective. Phone is valueable early game, but is less valueable as the game progresses - it lets all the counselors out, but it takes time AND gives them one point they have to go to. Cars are a pain, if someone starts one and gets moving Morph well ahead of them, Stalk, and then shift into it so they can't see you coming and dodge. once a car gets moving its often a death trap, but if they aren't all hovering around the car (especially if it's a two seater) you may have to let it go to get the bigger fish.

The boat is different - just check the map regularly. If it starts to move, hop into the water and kill it. You usually only have to do this once, as swimming makes a ton of noise and people rarely try to get back out to it. If you start seeing big noise bubbles in its direction you can hop back and drown them as well, but usually if you stop the boat once its done.

Remember that you can knock people off of fixing objectives with throwing knives. Nothing annoys a Chad like almost being done with a battery and then having to start over because of a knife. This is especially useful if they're trying to use firecrackers to protect a person fixing an objective. I don't usually throw knives at counselors unless I have a glut, they're at an objective, or they're they're trying to slow-climb through a window and I'm almost there myself.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TheAnomaly posted:

Kill the counselors.

Joking aside, pick a Jason you like (try them out on bots or whatever). Look at their strengths/weaknesses - slow shift/morph are probably the worst two weaknesses, -knives easily the best. Don't play 7 unless you're on Higgens and you're willing to use the water as a freeway.

In early game, morph to a power box, knock it out, get to the nearest objective and trap it. Morph to the phone if you haven't already, and trap it. If you have bonus traps, also trap the corner of the phone house. When you trap cars, always get the spot in front of the battery because it's unavoidable. Gas can be tricky, and you have to trap a little behind the door - if you trap the driver door itself, I can just walk to the passenger door and inch up until I can get in around your trap. Hit the other power boxes with your next set of morphs - once the lights go out, the fear racks up, and you will be able to sense counselors more easily.

Play to the strengths of your Jason - if you're 4, for example, ignore most of that and start running down counselors. All of 4's strengths are early game, so morph to and trap the phone then run to the nearest noise bubble and start hacking/slashing. If they make it to the late game, it won't be with safe places to run, so you're weaknesses won't hurt as much. Running Jasons can run down characters, but (unless you're 4) don't do it early game, get the power boxes and objectives - unless the counselor you happen on is an objective fixer. Deb/Chappa/Mitch all have lovely stamina and a running Jason can pretty easily run them down if they aren't in a group of houses.

Winning with Jason is largely about time management - don't go after fast + high stamina characters early, you're wasting your setup time and the allowing everyone else to search to their hearts content. If you have door destruction take the whacks to knock out a door - if you force someone out of a house before they finish searching it, even if you aren't going for the kill, they may miss an objective. Phone is valueable early game, but is less valueable as the game progresses - it lets all the counselors out, but it takes time AND gives them one point they have to go to. Cars are a pain, if someone starts one and gets moving Morph well ahead of them, Stalk, and then shift into it so they can't see you coming and dodge. once a car gets moving its often a death trap, but if they aren't all hovering around the car (especially if it's a two seater) you may have to let it go to get the bigger fish.

The boat is different - just check the map regularly. If it starts to move, hop into the water and kill it. You usually only have to do this once, as swimming makes a ton of noise and people rarely try to get back out to it. If you start seeing big noise bubbles in its direction you can hop back and drown them as well, but usually if you stop the boat once its done.

Remember that you can knock people off of fixing objectives with throwing knives. Nothing annoys a Chad like almost being done with a battery and then having to start over because of a knife. This is especially useful if they're trying to use firecrackers to protect a person fixing an objective. I don't usually throw knives at counselors unless I have a glut, they're at an objective, or they're they're trying to slow-climb through a window and I'm almost there myself.

trap sprung

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
All still good tips though. :)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The funniest part is that they told Tinfoil of all people about Part 7's Higgins superiority.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

TheAnomaly posted:

Kill the counselors.

:lol:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What exactly am I missing that makes someone giving Jason advice to someone asking for Jason advice such a "GOTCHA!" moment?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Danaru posted:

What exactly am I missing that makes someone giving Jason advice to someone asking for Jason advice such a "GOTCHA!" moment?

They're giving Jason advice to the OP of the thread and the best Jason player on SA.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

TheAnomaly posted:

Kill the counselors.

This is all good stuff right here.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Look, I'm the worst Jason imaginable, so I for one appreciate the tips even if they were the result of cruelty :colbert:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Regrettable posted:

They're giving Jason advice to the OP of the thread and the best Jason player on SA.

:jerkbag:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

:qq:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

:lol:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

hang on i have the ultimate smilie to win the 'who's right by virtue of being shittier' contest:

:robble:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Coolguye posted:

hang on i have the ultimate smilie to win the 'who's right by virtue of being shittier' contest:

:robble:

You won that contest long ago, friend.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Anyway, I watched Jason X and they're missing an opportunity with the Grendel stage if they don't replace Pam's head with Kay-Em's head. Jason needs to keep the kids away from it or Kay-Em will show up and kick his rear end

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

DeathChicken posted:

Anyway, I watched Jason X and they're missing an opportunity with the Grendel stage if they don't replace Pam's head with Kay-Em's head. Jason needs to keep the kids away from it or Kay-Em will show up and kick his rear end

I swear if we don’t get a sexy Joss Whedon robot counselor...

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

DeathChicken posted:

Look, I'm the worst Jason imaginable, so I for one appreciate the tips even if they were the result of cruelty :colbert:

I honestly wasn't expecting real and good tips - but they were provided so I added them to the OP.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've taken to using Part 8's Destruction perk defensively recently. When I'm doing my rounds at the objectives in the early in the game, I'll bust down the doors of any nearby cabins preemptively. Later on once I get Shift, they have to run far away from the objectives to find anything to put between us :v: It's hilarious how often people will either forget, or just plain not think to drop the battery or the gas, so they'll just haul rear end across the map with it. I've been hitting Rage without any objectives besides MAYBE calling Tommy getting done fairly often recently.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Just wanna add that you might not want to break any windows or doors on or near the phone house unless there's another objective nearby. An isolated cabin with a bunch of broken windows and doors is a big flag that says "JASON HAS BEEN HERE BECAUSE IT'S THE PHONE HOUSE".

My favorite random occurrence is when I'm Jason and when I morph to the phone house and there's a counselor nearby. Because now they know where the phone house is and... well unless they're a runner they're loving dead because I'm not leaving a Deborah or Chappa behind with knowledge of the phone house. Normally that's a dick move but it's a pain in the rear end when counselors know where the phone is in the first three minutes of the match.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 22, 2018

So Icey Seifuku
Dec 26, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Just wanna add that you might not want to break any windows or doors on or near the phone house unless there's another objective nearby. An isolated cabin with a bunch of broken windows and doors is a big flag that says "JASON HAS BEEN HERE BECAUSE IT'S THE PHONE HOUSE".

My favorite random occurrence is when I'm Jason and when I morph to the phone house and there's a counselor nearby. Because now they know where the phone house is and... well unless they're a runner they're loving dead because I'm not leaving a Deborah or Chappa behind with knowledge of the phone house. Normally that's a dick move but it's a pain in the rear end when counselors know where the phone is in the first three minutes of the match.

I like to wait with stalk on in the upstairs bedroom on Higgins if I feel like a phone attempt is coming.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Nah, smash the phone house up. They need to use it, Jason doesn’t. If they choose to avoid it that’s totally fine.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i struggle to think of a situation where avoiding smashing it up is helpful because counselors are going to be ransacking every house they can see in the early game regardless. if the fuse box didn't show up through walls that'd be one thing, but it does so there's approximately a 100% chance they are going to see the fuse box while checking a drawer anyway.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/976896465401466882?s=19

Oh poo poo

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Ooh, that'll actually make him kind of mean with his absurd Sense. Just find where those drat kids are hiding, Shift in and go LMB ham

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/976564659686961152

:tem:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

-------------------------

Weapon strength, swim speed, sense.

Comprehensive list of means to escape the map against a decent Part VII:
  • Death

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Part 7 is finally going to be as good as he deserves to be

The Best

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

Part 7 is finally going to be as good as he deserves to be

The Best

I paid $1500 on ebay for this Savini Jason, you can't make a regular Jason better!11111111111

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Skoll posted:

I paid $1500 on ebay for this Savini Jason, you can't make a regular Jason better!11111111111

I have a spaceship JPG you may be interested in with that kind of disposable income!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I REALLY want them to implement just a regular pitchfork with the same moveset as the Savini one. Not so much because I'M MISSING OUT ON CONTEEEENT :byodood: but because I want to play as Part 2 with a pitchfork and spend the entire game mumbling about crop harvests and corn subsidies

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
ALL THESE THINGS IN THE NEXT UPDATE!

When?

WHO THE gently caress KNOWS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I have a spaceship JPG you may be interested in with that kind of disposable income!

Are you hoarding yours for the apocalypse? I thankfully got mine out when the grey market was at its height.

• Locked thread