Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

well one is the graveyard of empires and the other is a fictional dead empire. I can see the resemblance

the comparison was both are deserts, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

New Vegas is kind of just grim unless you pop Wild Wasteland on.

Wild Wasteland does next to nothing outside a tiny handful of joke encounters, several of which are very subtle/missable.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

yeah I don't get the appeal of wild wasteland in new vegas. you practically need a wiki with a list of wild wasteland things to get any mileage out of the perk.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

double nine posted:

yeah I don't get the appeal of wild wasteland in new vegas. you practically need a wiki with a list of wild wasteland things to get any mileage out of the perk.

It should have been a free perk to take. Since it doesn't add to your ability to play the game, there's no reason to waste a slot for something useful just to see a skeleton in a refrigerator.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

IUG posted:

It should have been a free perk to take. Since it doesn't add to your ability to play the game, there's no reason to waste a slot for something useful just to see a skeleton in a refrigerator.

It does let you get that alien blaster, at least.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

It does let you get that alien blaster, at least.

that weapon runs straight into my "too awesome to use" syndrome. And before dead money the weapon it replaces was the best gauss rifle which is arguably better.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

double nine posted:

that weapon runs straight into my "too awesome to use" syndrome. And before dead money the weapon it replaces was the best gauss rifle which is arguably better.

Kind of depends; with reload factored in the blaster has twice the DPS of the rifle, and the blaster has some unique effects in that it has 100% crit and always has no spread.

It does fall into that "better save this for a rainy day" mentality for me wrt permanently limited consumables, yeah.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
But, Johnny Five Aces, you guys.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They should've either just included all the Wild Wasteland stuff into the game or just cut it. Right now It's a waste of a trait.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Gaius Marius posted:

They should've either just included all the Wild Wasteland stuff into the game or just cut it. Right now It's a waste of a trait.

I mean the traits in general are designed to be relatively neutral in their overall effects, soooo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean the traits in general are designed to be relatively neutral in their overall effects, soooo

It's the only one that it's possible to go through the whole game and never be affected by it. The others all have a gameplay or role playing purpose

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Personally I think they should have just stuck the skeleton in a fridge and ROMANES EUNT DOMUS graffiti and other unobtrusive refs into the game, and stuck the *purses lips as if to spit* aliens into the dustbin.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I think that the wild wasteland being a perk is the result of division within the design team, where some wanted to toss the silly stuff and others wanted to keep it, leading to the current situation that satisfies no-one.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

double nine posted:

I think that the wild wasteland being a perk is the result of division within the design team, where some wanted to toss the silly stuff and others wanted to keep it, leading to the current situation that satisfies no-one.

That's what the wiki says. Some thought it was too silly and would break the immersion and so this was the compromise.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Designed that way, but the way they actually work with game mechanics make some traits markedly worse than others. There's basically no reason to not take either Good Natured or Skilled, and you would be gimping yourself to take something like Four Eyes or Heavy Handed.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Wolfsheim posted:

Designed that way, but the way they actually work with game mechanics make some traits markedly worse than others. There's basically no reason to not take either Good Natured or Skilled, and you would be gimping yourself to take something like Four Eyes or Heavy Handed.

Because the game is so difficult otherwise. :rolleyes:

I preach the Logan's loophole gospel, but you can beat the game pretty easily without really caring about your build on any difficulty.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Take project Nevada, drop experience gain to 50% or 33%, take Skilled and then play the long game only reaching level 50 near the end of the DLCs.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Wolfsheim posted:

It was really bizarre for me to actually want to take Skilled since it used to be borderline the worst trait you could possibly take in FO1/2.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a little mod on Nexus that give you Wild Wasteland automatically, without having to waste a trait slot.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Katt posted:

There was the water time and then there was the "supermutants invade and kill the vault" timer for me.

What version of the game are you running? The second timer shouldn't appear in a fully patched copy.

Leroy Dennui posted:

It was really bizarre for me to actually want to take Skilled since it used to be borderline the worst trait you could possibly take in FO1/2.

Skilled's alright in Fallout 1 since by the time you finish the game, you'll only really lose one perk, and the level 3 perks are nothing to write home about anyway. It's bad in Fallout 2 though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Doesn't the second timer in F1 only apply to endings, and only if you re-enter certain areas after that timeframe? I beat it on a fully patched GOG copy awhile back and because I put off rescuing Tandi until just before beating the game I got the 'super mutants rolled up and killed everything' ending for her town.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't disagree that Wild Wasteland is maybe more minor than it should be, but the stuff it does add is... honestly kind of hard to miss? Like, it's basically impossible to not find the fridge, Johnny Five Aces is pretty hard to miss, and if you play Old World Blues you've got a nasty surprise waiting that I'm gonna be genuinely shocked if anyone actually somehow didn't see.

e: also there's no loving way you're missing the Dead Money credits referring to it as "Dead Monkey."

e2: also the Planet of the Apes gag in Lonesome Road is... actually pretty missable, since you have to do something pretty dumb to see it, but it's loving hilarious and pretty blatant.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 21, 2018

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

I always took four eyes. It was one free perception point.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

I dunno how someone could play fallout 2 with it's racist Chinaman stereotypes, star trek time portal, Dr Who Robot Dog, and Dan Quayle jokes and think anything goes in the setting

My post is made of three short paragraphs. I'm literally dumbfounded that you managed to get tired before finishing reading it.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Samuel Clemens posted:

What version of the game are you running? The second timer shouldn't appear in a fully patched copy.

I know and the first timer can be patched out as well. I mean back in the day as a new player.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Oh, you mean how did players deal with the second time limit before it got patched out? I don't know about that, but my guess would be that most of them didn't even realise it existed, because it was an exorbitant 500 days. Even if you spend weeks aimlessly wandering around the desert, it shouldn't take more than a year to beat the entire game, let alone the second half.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 21, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Katt posted:

That still considers you at a penalty for perk purposes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that's something that a player is very unlikely to notice unless they go wiki-diving though. Until I read up on that I also considered 4eyes to be a killer pick.

At least small frame is still good, and partially negated with the tough guy perk.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Four Eyes is bad but heavy handed can be good for certain weapons if you're not going for a crit build.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

double nine posted:

that's something that a player is very unlikely to notice unless they go wiki-diving though. Until I read up on that I also considered 4eyes to be a killer pick.

At least small frame is still good, and partially negated with the tough guy perk.

I wanted to go small frame but stray bullets kept insta-crippling me at bad times

I don't remember all the names but I like one perk that increased your accuracy but lowered your rate of fire. Because full on auto builds were kind of crap anyway as weapons broke down so fast and automatic weapons have always been at a disadvantage in the new fallout games.

There was also a perk that gave I think 3% crit but increased weapon wear which was pretty decent I think

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Wiki-diving says that you can also get glasses that give +3 perception if you have four eyes, but it's located in a legion safehouse.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Katt posted:

This would mean you'd need 8 PER (or 7+implant) for Better Criticals, when any random hat could serve the same purpose for random PER checks.

And if you're not min/maxing your crits, are you even a member of civilization?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yea, the Lucky Shades. Always irritated me that the only way to get the key to that place is with good Legion rep. Should have made it where it was on someone or lying around the fort so you had the option to steal/kill someone for it instead.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

This would mean you'd need 8 PER (or 7+implant) for Better Criticals, when any random hat could serve the same purpose for random PER checks.

And if you're not min/maxing your crits, are you even a member of civilization?

I just shot mans and they dead. Served me well so far.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

CFox posted:

Yea, the Lucky Shades. Always irritated me that the only way to get the key to that place is with good Legion rep. Should have made it where it was on someone or lying around the fort so you had the option to steal/kill someone for it instead.

There's a mod that adds the keys for each safehouse to a specific faction member. Can't remember what it was called, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Small frame plus adamantium skeleton is the way I usually go for a trait/perk combo. Mix it with math wrath, grim reaper's sprint and action boy/girl and a shot of rebound for massive amounts of vats shooting.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Katt posted:

I know and the first timer can be patched out as well. I mean back in the day as a new player.

i played FO1 when it was new and neither timer felt oppressive. it motivates you to "solve" the first major problem and even provides some "solutions" w/ unintended consequences like the water merchants revealing the location of the vault.

FO1 came out when CRPGs were still very much built with the idea that "obtuse design/systems/rules aren't bugs, they're features" so having an arbitrary timer fit more or less with the kind of BS you'd expect in a CRPG. like, FO1 came out a little after Wizardry 6 & 7 and if you could make your way through those games, the timer in FO1 wasn't going to frustrate you to the point of quitting.

i was by far more upset when the Overseer banishes you from the vault. "completing" the main quest and not actually being treated like the champion of the day was a bigger kick in the nuts for me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The FO1 water time limit was always less oppressive to me than the FO2 "Find Karl or Modoc is gonna kill them undergrounders" time limit which is about 30 seconds longer than the minimum time it takes to run to the Den and back

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

My post is made of three short paragraphs. I'm literally dumbfounded that you managed to get tired before finishing reading it.

Fallout 1 also has stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Would be interesting to see Fallout 1 & 2 in modern engines

I think Bethesda is gonna show at least some interesting stuff at this year's E3, hopefully at least one of them Fallout related