Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

A lot of people follow guides without deviation

I feel like this is why I was so annoyed at the guides I followed. Like, I know jack poo poo about this game, but I can follow a shopping list, so it was a little dismaying checking poe.trade and finding that all the "core gear" for whatever build I wanted to make was multiple exalts, or at least way up there in chaos cost. I'm not sure how anyone could follow a guide to the letter tbh unless they got insanely lucky or deliberately sought out a build using uniques that no one really gives a poo poo about.

Is there a guide/build out there that shows how far you can progress into the game, assuming the worst luck/rolls possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's a bunch of guides that are very detailed and cover things like "here's gear you can afford on your first character, ever" leading to "here's gear you can afford later" and finally "here's the endgame BiS gear". A lot of the time, however, you get people who make a build and just post what they've currently got with no regard to how much effort it takes. Those unfortunately are far more common.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

McFrugal posted:

Oh Indigon is an item, I thought that was the name of a streamer or something.

Man that item's broken. It needs a cap on the effect, or Poet's Pen (and other ways of activating skills for free) needs to stop counting as spending mana. The latter's probably more broken actually, considering that's why Zerphi's is so good too.

I think you're mixing up builds and misunderstanding mechanics. Poet's Pen and any other ways of activating skills for free does NOT count as spending mana.

The popular Zerphi's build relies on the fact that Zerphi's itself has no regard for whether you spend mana or life to heal you. By using Fevered Mind and a lvl 1 Blood Magic gem with other high mana multiplier links, Frenzy scales up to 300 life cost per use, which heals back 4000 (after factoring in bonuses to flask effectiveness) life over 4 seconds, or 1000 per second. Because you attack 4 times per second, over a 4 second period you get 16 instances of this healing at once, scaling up to 16000 heal per second. Add that to recovery rate bonuses from Watcher's Eye and Arakaali pantheon and you get about 30000 healing per second. That build in particular uses Mind Over Matter with Blood Rage and minimal mana/mana regeneration so Zerphi's is always active and never falls off, with Pathfinder to make the charges sustainable on boss fights.

The Indigon build only works off actual numerical mana spent. You run a Trickster with chance to heal 10% of your mana when you use a skill, and just stack the hell out of mana regen and mana. Getting up to 5000 mana pool and dumping the entire mana pool 2 times over within 4 seconds gives 10000 mana spent = (10000/200)*60% increased spell damage, or 3000% increased spell damage.

Neither of these builds are cheating anything by abusing triggered skills counting as spending mana, because that doesn't work.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Ultima66 posted:

I just save up, but honestly getting a 6L Inpulsa's is probably not the best option for the build anyways. A +1 all gems Tabula probably gives more damage overall than Inpulsa's, while a Lightning Coil/Pseudo Lightning Coil gives way better defenses. A 6L rare can be perfectly good as a life/other defensive stats buffer and depending on price and availability I honestly think the best option is rolling a Shaper 6L with the %phys taken as element and +1 active skill gems, but that may be incredibly expensive to roll from scratch and worth way more than a 6L unique to buy outright.

Yeah it's not a pressing issue as I'm already running with a rare 6L and could probably have better gear before I go for a luxury 6L but thanks for the info.

I'm curious people's opinions on chancing items and doing prophecies. I feel like silver coins are worth enough to not bother doing prophecies but I like them? And chancing just seems like I have such terrible odds it's not worth bothering.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

Yes it's the new Indigon hotness:

E: The guy's tree has no damage nodes so the build runs entirely defensive nodes on the passive tree.

there a profile for this man?

I assume he's a trickster but I want 2 see his gear

e:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2113508

Kild fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 21, 2018

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

When you get some room in the guild I could use an invite - Beorc.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Xeras posted:

Yeah it's not a pressing issue as I'm already running with a rare 6L and could probably have better gear before I go for a luxury 6L but thanks for the info.

I'm curious people's opinions on chancing items and doing prophecies. I feel like silver coins are worth enough to not bother doing prophecies but I like them? And chancing just seems like I have such terrible odds it's not worth bothering.

Prophecies sometimes feel inefficient due to slogging through story zones but on the whole they're one of the more reliable sources of currency. Key fragments, jeweller's touches, twice enchanteds, they all add up to a lot for very little investment.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I see there's a way to import items from poe.trade to POB, but is there a way to do the reverse? I'd like to find some abyss jewels without having to mess around with navigating through all those mods.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

George posted:

Prophecies sometimes feel inefficient due to slogging through story zones but on the whole they're one of the more reliable sources of currency. Key fragments, jeweller's touches, twice enchanteds, they all add up to a lot for very little investment.

Yeah I just got Kaom's Way from a prophecy. I think that paid for all my prophecies this league.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

space marine todd posted:

I see there's a way to import items from poe.trade to POB, but is there a way to do the reverse? I'd like to find some abyss jewels without having to mess around with navigating through all those mods.

Kinda. You can get the raw text of an item in PoB, but it includes a bunch of fields and tier info that you'd need to edit out before throwing it into "Import Item Data" on poe.trade.

I've found poe.trade to be wonky when it comes to finding jewels this way though.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 21, 2018

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Sometimes everything just comes up Millhouse. I found two exalts in the span of about 20 minutes. I decided to combine it with some other currency, and splurge to buy a bisco's amulet for my poet's pen MF setup. He was already running sadima's touch, bisco's leash, and goldwyrm, which are much cheaper than the amulet. I know it is hard to justify spending that much on bisco's, but hey.

The very next map I run drops a perfectly rolled taste of hate. Doesn't totally pay for the biscos, and it is hard to give bisco's the credit, but man, it is a good start.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Okay I made some upgrades in the past few hours. https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/srt4eblue/characters

What should I work towards next? I guess the Watcher's Eye with anger LS, but other than that and completeing Uber lab, what next?

Also, how do you fit Warlord's mark into the build? I just got the second curse on enemies node, and are you just manually casting that one on enemies?

Zotix fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 21, 2018

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Herald of Ash is straight up the best damage aura for VD in 3.2. Run that instead of herald of ice for a good damage bump.

Put something in your swap weapon slots, even if just have a couple of nonsense sticks to level gems. I've already made a few exalts this season selling level 21 quality 20 corrupted gems. Not as good as it typically is due to the beastcrafting recipie for the level 21 corrupt (with no quality). I know I am using a level 21 VD that came from stupid beasts.

Other than that, improve some gear as it comes. Cooldown recovery belt/boots with actual useful stats doesn't seem easy to get though. Even I am not using any yet, though I did spend some time alt spamming an ilvl85 shaped belt I bought. I got it to this, which doesn't have cooldown recovery, but I am not sure I want to scour it.

As for warlord's mark, you are typically using it instead of assassin's mark if you don't have the leech from other sources yet. Before I got my anger leech watcher's eye, I was using warlord's mark, a random shaper amulet with fire leech, and a leech boot enchant. I don't think I would bother with trying to double curse.

I did forge of the phoenix easily enough today as my scion, just teleporting around the room while leeching up. Didn't even come close to dying.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 21, 2018

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Zotix posted:

Okay I made some upgrades in the past few hours. https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/srt4eblue/characters

What should I work towards next? I guess the Watcher's Eye with anger LS, but other than that and completeing Uber lab, what next?

Also, how do you fit Warlord's mark into the build? I just got the second curse on enemies node, and are you just manually casting that one on enemies?

edit: ^^^ This guy is correct in regards to HOA/HOI so you can ignore the curse stuff I mentioned regarding HOI.

There's quite a few upgrades you should probably make before the really expensive Watcher's Eye. Leveled gems with Quality are always a very good cost-efficient upgrade for any build. Start with the gems in your wands, then you can get frenzy, curse and heralds. A level 21 VD will also be a very big upgrade but those are going to be pretty costly so you can hold off on that. Warlords Mark can be included a few different ways. The first would be a curse on hit warlords mark Elder Ring. The second way won't be quite as effective but will be much cheaper. What you'd do is replace Assassin's Mark with Warlords Mark, then link your Herald of Ice with curse on hit and Assassin's Mark. This will still proc enough so that you maintain power charges. I guess the third option would be get a Shaper RIng with Assassin's Mark on hit and put Warlord's Mark gem where AM is right now.

One immediate upgrade I'd do right now is swap out some of those Quicksilvers for other utility flasks such as a Diamond and perhaps a Silver, Stibnite or Basalt.

Opal Rings would also help quite a bit, although i think the curse rings mentioned above would be better.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When do you know you’re ready to take on the Guardians? I’ve got a couple of their maps but wouldn’t want to waste them. I have 6,000 HP and Jugg+Brass Dome levels of armour, should I shop for more stuff before trying? I can complete the few T15 maps I’ve tried relatively comfortably.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

with that setup start with minotaur and see how it feels. if 15s are easy theres not much to do but try and see how it goes.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I'd be surprised if you couldn't easily tank a mino with no damage mods, even standing in the falling rocks.

Phoenix is really the only one you can actually get screwed on and not just zerg with 6 portals.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Someone tell me where I made a booboo with Hypothermia already https://pastebin.com/Y5FyCFCZ

E: https://imgur.com/a/bnMh2
E2: an actual POB bug???

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 21, 2018

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've been playing this Frost Blades/Molten Strike build that Mathil made last league. It's been fun so far. I started wondering about upgrading the Wasp Nests I'm using currently. He says in the video you'd need a 300-350 edps claw to compete. I pulled up some 350+ ones on poe.trade and plugged them into pob, and it was a huge DPS loss on both FB and MS.

What am I missing here? I'm not sure what type of weapon I'd have to find that actually increases my dps if 350 edps claws are a 10% loss.

My profile: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/eschatoned/characters
His video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WQqoM0imQE

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Can I get back in the guild,
LeninMagicFind is the current one im playing,

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Thx for the advice on the upgrades. I'll see what I can do after work tonight.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I've been playing this Frost Blades/Molten Strike build that Mathil made last league. It's been fun so far. I started wondering about upgrading the Wasp Nests I'm using currently. He says in the video you'd need a 300-350 edps claw to compete. I pulled up some 350+ ones on poe.trade and plugged them into pob, and it was a huge DPS loss on both FB and MS.

What am I missing here? I'm not sure what type of weapon I'd have to find that actually increases my dps if 350 edps claws are a 10% loss.

My profile: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/eschatoned/characters
His video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WQqoM0imQE

did you activate your charges and flasks? I get significant more dps with a default phys claw (328 dps)

now actually buying that claw twice is debatable because you're looking at a 3 EX investment

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I'm rolling MS inquis too. Care to link your build?

Edit: Read a little further and NM. But I am interested in a POB build that lets me do those calcs for my dude.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2104647

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

did you activate your charges and flasks? I get significant more dps with a default phys claw (328 dps)

now actually buying that claw twice is debatable because you're looking at a 3 EX investment

I just tried again. Turned on all my charges, activated all my damage flasks, and this claw still loses about 8% dps

Skull Barb Terror Claw
Level: 70 Dexterity: 113 Intelligence: 113 ilvl: 75 Max sockets: 3 (3)
2% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Life
Adds 61 to 104 Fire Damage P?
Adds 30 to 53 Cold Damage P?
Adds 5 to 158 Lightning Damage P?
21% increased Mana Regeneration Rate S5
8% increased Poison Duration??
crafted 14% increased Attack Speed

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Just taking a stab here, but are you comparing the damage including poison? Elemental damage doesn't contribute to poison damage by default, so that claw is going to do much less poison damage than a wasp nest, even before you consider the lower crit chance. I might be missing something though.

E: went back and reread and yeah pretty sure I'm misunderstanding something.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 21, 2018

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Wasps nest builds often scale phys and convert them scale ele. An ele claw wastes any physical nodes you have. Try a high pdps claw.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

When do you know you’re ready to take on the Guardians? I’ve got a couple of their maps but wouldn’t want to waste them. I have 6,000 HP and Jugg+Brass Dome levels of armour, should I shop for more stuff before trying? I can complete the few T15 maps I’ve tried relatively comfortably.

A while ago they changed the health on the T15 bosses so that there was less of a gap between T15 and guardians to give people a better way to tell if they're ready for guardians. Since you're brass dome jugg you'll be able to probably face tank everything minotaur does unless the map has some significant damage mods on it. I'd still try to learn and understand the mechanics of each fight though for future characters that might not be as tanky. Everything hydra does can be manually dodged. I'd probably start with those two, then evaluate how much damage you're doing and if it feels "good" or not.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

I just tried again. Turned on all my charges, activated all my damage flasks, and this claw still loses about 8% dps

Skull Barb Terror Claw

Yeah, your going to want a claw that gives physical DPS. Elemental DPS doesn't convert for frost blades. Wasps nests are physical claws, which is why this claw performs worse. Mathil hosed up when he said to use elemental claws, shoot for physical.

Check for unique claws that are an upgrade - right now you can buy a nice 250 physical DPS "the scourge" unique claw for 20c. The scourge is great because it gives you an extra 70% increased damage on top of its normal DPS, which makes it equivalent to about 300 physical DPS. For frost blades its pretty much the perfect mapping weapon until you can afford a 3ex+ rare claw with 350 phys dps.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 21, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

Guardians get exponentially more dangerous the lower their HP gets, I've brought in full goon parties to two different guardian maps and we wiped on both with bosses around 5% life, though one guy got back in and finished off the second boss at least so I have one bonus clear.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

EDIT: I'm silly and can't read, however... the claw you're proposing has
* no attack speed when you have flat added damage supports
* no (local) crit when you are crit

Yeah of course Wasp Nest that has attack speed and local crit outperforms it.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 21, 2018

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zero VGS posted:

Guardians get exponentially more dangerous the lower their HP gets, I've brought in full goon parties to two different guardian maps and we wiped on both with bosses around 5% life, though one guy got back in and finished off the second boss at least so I have one bonus clear.

4 goons 0 cull

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

do a 6 man oba's next

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I have what is probably a stupid question about the PP/VD build here - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2050819

I am using the Scion/Elementalist option, not Templar.

This build, and every other build for PP/VD I've seen has a 4-link with Frenzy in it. In this case it's Frenzy - Assassin's Mark - Curse On Hit - Greater Multiple Projectiles.

My dumb question is, if you are using VD on the Pens w/Unearth and sperging about getting your attack speed just right to maximize the attack rate on it, how are you supposed to work in a completely different attack (Frenzy) that isn't related to the Pens/VD/Unearth at all? Am I missing something stupid here in how the mechanics work?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Skull Barb Terror Claw

mate I said phys claw, mathil said phys claw... you better check again with a phys claw

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The Locator posted:

I have what is probably a stupid question about the PP/VD build here - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2050819

This build, and every other build for PP/VD I've seen has a 4-link with Frenzy in it. In this case it's Frenzy - Assassin's Mark - Curse On Hit - Greater Multiple Projectiles.

My dumb question is, if you are using VD on the Pens w/Unearth and sperging about getting your attack speed just right to maximize the attack rate on it, how are you supposed to work in a completely different attack (Frenzy) that isn't related to the Pens/VD/Unearth at all? Am I missing something stupid here in how the mechanics work?

You attack with frenzy, which procs the VD/Unearth/Bodyswap in the pens. It's the whole reason to use the pens instead of self casting stuff.

You use frenzy because you don't really care about what you attack with, so why not use something that gives you free frenzy charges, adn you do curse on hit because it's cheaper than buying a nice shaper ring with assmark on hit built in.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

The Locator posted:

Frenzy is effectively your main skill. You spam frenzy to activate the spells in your poets pens. The frenzy charges are basically always up and help you get to that .26 aspd goal.

You aren’t casting anything in a PP build but frenzy.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
To add to this: the attack speed that your optimizing is the attack speed of frenzy, not poets pens. It's why the build focuses on attack speed, not casting speed.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Dance Officer posted:

There's no need for AB. I have 4 totems through hiero and armor, and points are better spent somewhere else.

As for the gem slots, I simply don't/didn't need them, so I loaded them up with other crap to level up and sell.

I have no idea why you would not want to take Ancestral Bond in a totem build even with Soul Mantle. I guess it doesn't matter that much for clearing trash, but it'll matter for anything that stays alive for more than a second. Especially with Frostbolt, which kind of sucks against bosses. Nothing you can self-cast is going to do enough damage that it'd be better than a 5th totem, and your time would be better spent casting Elemental Weakness, Frost Bomb, or re-placing a totem to keep the crit bonus from Shaman's Dominion up. If you're that worried about points, it'd almost certainly be better to ditch the Shamanistic Fury branch (Hiero gets plenty of totem placement speed from ascendancy) or Totemic Mastery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Anything beyond 4 totems is unnecessary now in my opinion. You're giving up a chest and two ring spots for them.