Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SirDrone posted:

Is it just me or are chaos spawn tentacle horrors the most difficult boss type to deal with.

They're real bad if your team doesnt have a stagger ult or realize you can use bombs to stop his eating attack. DONT WASTE YOUR BOMBSAAAAAAAAAAAA

Stormfiend feels like a joke and we always seem to beat it with minimal damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
I'm still convinced that stormfiends are easier than vanilla ogres and it's still weird to me.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Anyways I tool Coolguy's advice and started playing Unchained. It's p fun and feels way more tanky which is good, but I think I'm still stuck in "ranged" mindset and don't get up and dagger people enough yet opting to sit and beam but its nice not instantly dying if something gets behind me still. Also it's hard to judge how much getting hit will generate overcharge/also remember that getting hit by a boss spawn will pop me into overcharge death and stupidly died a few times.

still would recommend it over pyro just from a fun-factor and a little easier to carry people since you can tank and block more.

the only thing I wish is you could use your ult to clear out overcharge if you have it up when you get put into deathmode. but that's mostly because Im a loving idiot.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 21, 2018

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fishstick posted:

Have an entire spreadsheet of enemy HP and armor values, including bosses

As a data scientist this both arouses and saddens me :shobon:

Spreadsheets: For when you absolutely, positively need to squeeze out every last bit of fun from a game :q:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

SirDrone posted:

Is it just me or are chaos spawn tentacle horrors the most difficult boss type to deal with.

I feel like they're the easiest with the right ults just because staggering one out of a succ gives you a ton of time to beat on him while he just stands there.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Fishstick posted:

Have an entire spreadsheet of enemy HP and armor values, including bosses

bless you, been looking for something exactly like this

Stanley Pain posted:

As a data scientist this both arouses and saddens me :shobon:

Spreadsheets: For when you absolutely, positively need to squeeze out every last bit of fun from a game :q:

wow have fun being SUBOPTIMAL

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I assume hitmas is the amount of damage needed to stagger or something?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Zhulik posted:

I'm still convinced that stormfiends are easier than vanilla ogres and it's still weird to me.

You can animation trap Stormfiends by having people take turns slapping the Krang rat and backstepping the instant retaliation swipe. Even without that their weak point is a hell of a lot easier for the majority of the team to hit any given moment than a rat ogre's head, and their flamethrower attacks involve planting themselves in one spot and effectively holding up a neon sign saying THIS IS WHEN YOU KICK MY rear end. They're a lot less psychotically aggressive than rat ogres, which is basically the only thing rat ogres have going for them now. I honestly feel relief when the rat bosses show up, because trolls are just a loving pain in the neck and chaos spawn can either be a slightly trickier rat ogre or an instant run ender depending on how delicious you/your pubbies are feeling.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
The hardest boss is the one that spawns in a hallway

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rap music posted:

wow have fun being SUBOPTIMAL

Bro, I can't stop left clicking and occasionally right clicking. Please send help.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ImPureAwesome posted:

The first time my group ever ran into a stormfiend it was in Athel Yenlui when you're going through that trench and it was properly goddamn terrifying for a bunch of no-HP recruit nubs

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ImPureAwesome posted:

yeah location is the most important part.

luv 2 fight troll/chaos spawns on the falling cliffs on halescourge near the grim

o well there went half our team into the valley of death

also I learned spawns willl follow you to the end of the map even if you think you're safe--there is no running . I was playing a righteous stand as a new lvl1 dwarf with bots just dicking around seeing if i could, and a chaos spawns at the very start and I'm like eh no and just ran for the elevator in the circular room thinking it'd just despawn. I felt safe for like a few minutes then boom, it jumped into the barracks so I ran and let the bots die again and nope, kept coming. It will climb every place imaginable and keep coming even even to the end. I guess that makes sense since otherwise people would just ignore them.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 21, 2018

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

ImPureAwesome posted:

My last two times doing Athel Yenlui ended in that really narrow ravine between the trench and the ruins with a chaos spawn and horde coming at us from both sides. Really we had no chance.

ChickenWing posted:

The first time my group ever ran into a stormfiend it was in Athel Yenlui when you're going through that trench and it was properly goddamn terrifying for a bunch of no-HP recruit nubs

posted while i was posting.

i think that's the most dangerous spot in the game

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

ImPureAwesome posted:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SirDrone posted:

I hate fighting them and just hope they don't turn their attention to me as I rail on them, especially when I'm playing the skinny little waif

Even dodging is only moderately effective, since they turn on a dime.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

Too Shy Guy posted:

Were my allusions to the heathen intoxicants and slurred speech not sufficient to indicate a jest, heretic?

Must the missive be inscribed by Sigmar himself?

:five:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh, "mighty duo" refers to BH Saltz's sickass double-barrel pistol. I was wondering what he was on about.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So if I want to play this game with goons while waiting for my coop group to finish their 3rd playthrough of Dead island ... Can I reset my progression later to start over with them?

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

I think boss fights in general are the least fun aspect of the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Boss fights suck a lot yes.

What also sucks is these stupid fields of wheat so I can't see where the loving acid is. The whole party wiped to that. I've only won like twice in eight games because of bosses or this wheat. :argh:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Hopper posted:

So if I want to play this game with goons while waiting for my coop group to finish their 3rd playthrough of Dead island ... Can I reset my progression later to start over with them?

There's multiple characters that each need seperate leveling, and your hero power is mostly determined by items. So if you wanted to, you can just pick another character and/or equip low-tier stuff to play with them.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I like them when the location is right and adds a lot to the game. fighting Roger on the platforms of Screaming Bell is p fun and its also wide open and lots of spots to run. Fighting Troll in Hunger in the Dark on the wide open troll grounds is also good. Fighting the boss spawn by the barn door level is also fun.

When its in a loving canyon or Halescourge cliffs, or barracks, or around the market and getting stuck on everything it's really miserable.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I'm the baddie that takes Heal on Boss Death talents because it makes me look forward to bosses.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Phlegmish posted:

I hate fighting them and just hope they don't turn their attention to me as I rail on them, especially when I'm playing the skinny little waif

Even dodging is only moderately effective, since they turn on a dime.

My favorite thing is how Roger will wind up for the ground slam that goes through a block on someone, then turn 180° and hit you instantly for half your HP with no warning. Chaos spawn is pretty much the same.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

The Gate posted:

My favorite thing is how Roger will wind up for the ground slam that goes through a block on someone, then turn 180° and hit you instantly for half your HP with no warning. Chaos spawn is pretty much the same.

Chaos spawn seems to love doing that about 2/3rds thru his multiple groundpound if he's grabbed a hold of someone. He'll do most of the attack and then flip 180° and hit you with the last few. It's really goddamn annoying. Here are some other gifs about annoying things:

Shotgun blasts missing front targets
Cleave / phantom hits

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I can't wait for the mod that will turn Markus Kruber into a Stormcast Eternal.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

you mean a sigmarine

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Yes.

Also I would like a mod that turns Bardin into a Squat.

Scrunt will also do.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

AndyElusive posted:

:wow:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
stormfiends would be a lot harder if they moved around and sprayed fire everywhere so everything got set on fire and maneuvering around/behind them became trickier, also if the fire they set lasted longer

as it is now they're basically punching bags who sit in one spot spraying fire in exactly one direction so the whole "control area and make navigating the battlefield harder" idea doesn't ever happen

e: put another way, every other boss is unpredictable and mobile, whereas the stormfiend is predictable and stationary

President Ark fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 21, 2018

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

This is an awful thing to want what did Kruber ever do to you?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This is an awful thing to want what did Kruber ever do to you?

Mustache envy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vaul's Quiver or Isha's Embrace for Kerillian? I'm tempted by both.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Vaul's Quiver gives you easy access to effectively infinite ammunition.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
vaul's quiver is literally unlimited ammo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah that's what I was leaning towards, thanks, I guess Isha's Embrace would have been really good too if it healed up to 100%

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

Coolguye posted:

Was the weed insert and the suddenly lovely sentence construction not enough to tip you off to the fact that it was a joke?

Should I include a neon sign next time?

I just had to check because it looked deceivingly like your usual smug besserwisser fare except enhanced through the shitposting superstar filter, apologies. Strong return to form though

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm liking the spooky elf way more than I thought I would. I thought I'd try it once and then leave it. and then I took off close to a third of a boss' health bar with one glaive downswing. the repeater crossbow is fun too.

I'm not really sure how to use its specialty other than assassinating chaos warriors and ruining bosses who dare to turn their back to you, since I have basically the same issue with it as I do with backstabbery, which is that this is just about the last game where you ever want to put enemies in between you and your teammates and turn your back to the direction the enemies are coming from. But even if assassinating is all you use the career for, it seems drat useful since bosses are the worst.

I never tried it, does the power actually let you pass right through enemies? because if so it could do a hell of a clutch revive too.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Yes you get noclip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is the repeater crossbow for the elf different than the one for the witch hunter or is it like a flamestorm staff/drakegun situation