Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If I go back to 18's on my veloster and run cts-v brakes I get good brake pads. Racecar problems...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

Get an fmic and a tune already, you know you’re going to eventually :) tune will remove the rev hang.

I'm really trying hard not to :v:

Christobevii3 posted:

If I go back to 18's on my veloster and run cts-v brakes I get good brake pads. Racecar problems...

Call Carbotech or G-Loc.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Nice. Offset?

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.

45mm. Here’s a link!

https://www.oakos.com/TD-5G2-77545H1.htm

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Cheers, I've been eyeing off some 1.2s for a while now, but I want them in the bronze colour. Just trying to figure out what offset I should go for with 215/40 tyres so as not to adversely affect the scrub radius. I don't know the various suspension angles so I can't calculate it, but the car will ride 5mm higher on those tyres. I imagine the difference is only in the order of a few mm but I'd like to know for sure.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

mattdev posted:

Got some new shoes.

Solid color combo. I'm sticking with gray wheels since they hide the clouds of brake dust that are constantly emitting from this thing lol

dongmaster1999
Nov 23, 2017
I got a 2017 GTI after about 10 years of owning a truck and i'm having way more fun with it than i thought i would, but now i'm struck by the urge to buy mods and things i don't need. General advice seems to be tires first then everything else but i'm only at 5500 miles, are better tires a big enough upgrade to warrant switching out basically brand new stock ones? also, i keep seeing these two things https://store.034motorsport.com/mqb-dogbone-mount-insert-mkvii-volkswagen-golf-gti-r-8v-audi-a3-s3-billet-aluminum.html https://www.ecodetuning.com/audi-8v-mk7-mqb-rear-chassis-brace-by-eurocode.html?category_id=249 touted as big upgrades but they look kinda janky to me. are they?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tires are absolutely the best bang for your buck. Summer tires give you the best performance but at the cost of increased wear and you have to use them in the right conditions (not cold).

What are you looking for in terms of mods? More power? Better shift feel?

dongmaster1999
Nov 23, 2017
i live in california so i would be able to use summer tires year round (i think?) its an auto so no shifting stuff. mostly i want more "nimbleness" and a faster 0-30 (most of my driving is in cities)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I liked the dogbone insert, but you can mostly work around not having one by being easier on the car (not hammering it at lower speeds). I doubt chassis braces are worth it.

dongmaster1999
Nov 23, 2017

BlackMK4 posted:

hammering it at lower speeds

unfortunately this is exactly how i drive

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Welp, buy the dogbone insert.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

dongmaster1999 posted:

I got a 2017 GTI after about 10 years of owning a truck and i'm having way more fun with it than i thought i would, but now i'm struck by the urge to buy mods and things i don't need. General advice seems to be tires first then everything else but i'm only at 5500 miles, are better tires a big enough upgrade to warrant switching out basically brand new stock ones? also, i keep seeing these two things https://store.034motorsport.com/mqb-dogbone-mount-insert-mkvii-volkswagen-golf-gti-r-8v-audi-a3-s3-billet-aluminum.html https://www.ecodetuning.com/audi-8v-mk7-mqb-rear-chassis-brace-by-eurocode.html?category_id=249 touted as big upgrades but they look kinda janky to me. are they?

skip the chassis brace and get tires and/or lighter wheels.

the dogbone isnt a bad upgrade for the money but some people with DSG transmissions complain about increased NVH from it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

NVH? Also how cold is “cold” for summer tires?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Warbird posted:

Noise, Vibration and Harshness

its used to describe the handling and idling characteristics when you start changing up stuff

e:

Cold is 40 to 45 F for summers and "all season"

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Warbird posted:

Noise, vibration, harshness. That feeling of "oh this feels lovely" when you're in a car. Unless you're getting a lot of wheel hop and launching a lot, I don't see the point of doing the insert. However, it's easy to put in and out and cheap. You could see if you like it and pawn it on a forum if not.

"upgraded" motor mounts always make me dislike a car more. Too old for that junk. On a race car sure, but not a car I drive to work. :v:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 20, 2018

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I should probably go see what tires I have on the thing right now. That seems like a smart person thing to do.

Edit: Continental Extreme Contact with Sport Plus+ Tech. Is that good?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 20, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Race Mode is my spirit animal. Goddamn I love this car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Warbird posted:

I should probably go see what tires I have on the thing right now. That seems like a smart person thing to do.

Edit: Continental Extreme Contact with Sport Plus+ Tech. Is that good?

They're a decent all season. High performance summer tires (look up your car on tire rack and check out the different classifications of tires) are what you'd want for more grip.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i cant find that exact model of tire on tirerack so i'm not sure if it's an allseason or summer tire, but since its continental its probably pretty decent

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah contis are pretty solid (and comfy) from my experience but does sound like a performance summer tire.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

dongmaster1999 posted:

Best bang for the buck? Grab a used JB4, and new some rubber, like Firehawk Indy 500s.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Looking at a 2016 CPO fiesta st. The vehicle history shows the intake manifold gasket was replaced at 13k. Car is at 22k. Not sure if this is a red flag, but it feels like it might be?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Bentai posted:

Looking at a 2016 CPO fiesta st. The vehicle history shows the intake manifold gasket was replaced at 13k. Car is at 22k. Not sure if this is a red flag, but it feels like it might be?

that isn't a normal scheduled maintenance item, is there an aftermarket intake manifold?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sneakyfrog posted:

that isn't a normal scheduled maintenance item, is there an aftermarket intake manifold?

I'm guessing a defect replaced under warranty if it was at a Ford dealer.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
How much better is the JB4 versus the JB1, given that I don't care about customizing the maps? I vaguely recall that the JB4 is supposed to deliver the extra power "more smoothly", whatever that means.

Call me a pussy, but I don't like the idea of splicing into the O2 sensor, pulling off trim pieces , and routing the OBD cable to the driver's side (Australian car).

The simplicity of the JB1 install and the ease of returning the car to stock is highly appealing for that reason, but I'll suck it up if the JB4 is clearly better.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

10hp.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Personally i wouldnt trust any of these black box devices over a proper reflash. dont fool yourself that you're protecting your warranty with a JB

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Crescendo posted:

How much better is the JB4 versus the JB1, given that I don't care about customizing the maps? I vaguely recall that the JB4 is supposed to deliver the extra power "more smoothly", whatever that means.

Call me a pussy, but I don't like the idea of splicing into the O2 sensor, pulling off trim pieces , and routing the OBD cable to the driver's side (Australian car).

The simplicity of the JB1 install and the ease of returning the car to stock is highly appealing for that reason, but I'll suck it up if the JB4 is clearly better.

AFR wire tap is optional, but gives better data for the unit to work with. Having the OBD cable is mandatory but the same thing, better data, better performance. But really using a positap is the easiest thing in the world.

BraveUlysses posted:

Personally i wouldnt trust any of these black box devices over a proper reflash. dont fool yourself that you're protecting your warranty with a JB

It’s a piggyback system that can be taken off at anytime. Also followed by a huge community with a very involved and responsive company. Seriously, George will always get back to you within 24 hours when working on custom Maps despite of you bought a unit directly from him or not. You’ll only get a TD1 flag if you’re retarded enough to bring your car in with it still installed. I haven’t seen people bitch up a storm that it has denied them warranty work / thrown a TD1 flag otherwise.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BraveUlysses posted:

Agreed. They're tampering with input signals in the hopes of coaxing a desired result out of the ECU. Not only does the learning behavior of most modern ECUs neutralize some of the effect over time as they correct for unexpected inputs, but what they do is inherently predictable so it's not exactly rocket science to detect their presence if the ECU logs the parameters they screw with.

Whether the various OEMs do that or not is a different question, but the belief that these things are warranty safe is at best vehicle-specific.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Shrug, VW knows if you flash your poo poo, the JBD has a chance of going undetected.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
People seem to drive like dicks around the Golf R, vis-a-vis letting me in at a zipper merge point, and then getting very pissed off when I force my way in anyway. Did I just have an unusual experience or will people get way more pissed off at a VW driving somewhat aggressively than a Mustang doing the same thing?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

People are just assholes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Take yo time and use the power to make gaps

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Take yo time and use the power to make gaps

Oh I very much did, hence the honking and people being pissed off.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm guessing a defect replaced under warranty if it was at a Ford dealer.
That's kind of what I figure. The carfax says it was done at a Ford dealer here in town.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Call them and ask. It is probably a warranty fix as mentioned and I wouldn’t worry about it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

PT6A posted:

People seem to drive like dicks around the Golf R, vis-a-vis letting me in at a zipper merge point, and then getting very pissed off when I force my way in anyway. Did I just have an unusual experience or will people get way more pissed off at a VW driving somewhat aggressively than a Mustang doing the same thing?

People ALWAYS let me get away with the Mercedes merge, but I don't usually try it with the Golf-R. The only people I see who try to drive aggressively around me are people in GTIs.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

I wonder if people in general know what a Golf R is and that you're not just some jackass driving around that put a body kit on his Golf

also seconding that people are just angry dicks in general on the road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Last Thursday I was heading out of town in the GTI to see a band and wanted to stop at the ATM to pick up some beer money. There was this assweasel in a Challenger in front of me. He kept slowing way down and then stomping on it to fly up to the rear end of the car that was several car lengths ahead. Did this about 5 times and there was no way I wanted to be in front of him so I hung back...

...then when I turned into the turn lane in front of the bank I got alongside him and he flipped me off. :wtc: