Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

I would pay PGI to never have to play on an arctic map again.

Domination. ECM light literally kept me lit up for LRMboats until I died a horrible death.

They should delete that map from rotation and take LRMs with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Yardbomb posted:

:same:

And maybe throw Canyons into the rotation more than once a day, please? Love that map ;_;

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

All the people who like the new Roughneck hero are good & correct. I was expecting the free Sun Spider to be the highlight of the patch, and it is- but only because there are so many of them, and they're incredibly, laughably fragile which makes reaping the rewards in the absurdly tanky Roughneck which has effectively an Atlas' worth of firepower is very, very fun. The best part is that all the people new to the SNS don't know it's terrible at close range because of its poor mobility and complete lack of quirks, so they close distance and then you rip off their pedipalps and chelicerae.

Yardbomb posted:

The worst part is that Frozen City used to be the best map. Then someone went, "Sure this mixed brawling and poking map is fun, but what if it had a 2km wide trench in the middle?" That guy got a raise from PGI, I guess.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
We discussed Polar Highlands while playing yesterday and we all agreed that it is a good map in that it requires the entire team to work together to beat the opposing team without it turning into a sniping LRM shitfest. Some of my best brawls have been on polar highlands. I agree that it is total poo poo in solo queue though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TjyvTompa posted:

We discussed Polar Highlands while playing yesterday and we all agreed that it is a good map in that it requires the entire team to work together to beat the opposing team without it turning into a sniping LRM shitfest. Some of my best brawls have been on polar highlands. I agree that it is total poo poo in solo queue though.

yeah if your team doesn't panic as soon as the first LRMs start to fall then the terrain lends itself really nice to some hit-and-fade brawling

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

Every game I quickmatch into everyone votes for polar shithole which is the supreme LRM boat pissing contest. I'm copying that build because I am utterly incapable of an original thought.

I only ever came up with it because I inherited the old loyalty atlas. I just use it to farm c-bills (not that I ever really need to do that anymore) and to make pubs mad. The one thing to make sure you are doing is trying to keep range at about 400m (you're slow as sin so it'll take you a while to get there, so feel free to LRM away on the route in). Share armor (most folks will fire on you at that distance) and get your own locks. Swap out one of the MLs for a TAG if you want to lock even faster. Between the CC and the BAP, it locks like lightning already, but whatevs. Skill into survival, missiles in firepower, all the heat stuff in operations, and the sensor tree (target decay). I did 33 firepower, 24 survival, 20 ops, 13 sensors, 1 aux, but there's room for futzing between firepower / survival.

Edit: I also miss old frozen city / forest colony. Cave firefights were awesome.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 21, 2018

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

On the rare occasion pubs pick Frozen City over Polar Outhouse more often than not I find some great brawls where my Centurion can really shine.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Parallelwoody posted:

Hmm ok what would be a good light machine gun mech then, a and what would a good build/skill tree look like? By the way I'm about half skilled in the hell bringer and it's a solid rear end mech.

Mist Lynx with 8 LMG and 4 Heavy Small Lasers, or 8 LMG with 4 Micro Lasers if you run out if ammo too fast. You can try regular machine guns, but the lack of range hurts the Mist Lynx due to it being kind of slow for its size.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Marathanes posted:

Badlas still works.

PS: Don't play a Badlas. Or do. Whatever. I'm not your real ghost dad anyways. If anything it makes pubbies REAL mad.

Why is all that ammo in the arms? WHY?

aniviron posted:

The best part is that all the people new to the SNS don't know it's terrible at close range because of its poor mobility and complete lack of quirks, so they close distance and then you rip off their pedipalps and chelicerae.

I actually stuck some LRMs and a LB-10-X on it because I kept dying in my triple UAC/5 build.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Going to give the game a try. My name is Hellsting and I don't see an option to join a clan anywhere in game. Can I get an invite to the clan?

Oriental Hugs fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 22, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Polka_Rapper posted:

Why is all that ammo in the arms? WHY?

I did lead with the 'Don't play this.' :smith: You could case it and put it all in the ballistic torso, but :effort:. With a 300 standard you don't twist worth a drat anyways, so damage just goes where it wills. After 4 tons of ammo in the legs, and since the head gets used for the CC, I figure you're taking a risk no matter what.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Marathanes posted:

I did lead with the 'Don't play this.' :smith: You could case it and put it all in the ballistic torso, but :effort:. With a 300 standard you don't twist worth a drat anyways, so damage just goes where it wills. After 4 tons of ammo in the legs, and since the head gets used for the CC, I figure you're taking a risk no matter what.

Another good thing to point out: Torso twist speed is no longer tied to engine size.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oriental Hugs posted:

Going to give the game a try. My name is Hellsting and I don't see an option to join a clan anywhere in game.

You have to get invited, there's no hiring hall or anything like that. Go talk to the people on Discord.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Is there an IS medium/light version of the roughneck/battlemaster? Lasers with durability quirks? Looking for something to pad out my IS drop decks with for the upcoming event that won't run out of ammo.

Edit: I guess good old Mr. Greenbeam would work, but it's durability quirks aren't great. Crab? Urbie? Wolfhound?

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 22, 2018

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

A lot of the good laser mechs bit it in the requirkening. the laser centurion and the shadow hawk both were good, but I think your best bet is to ctrl-f for laser duration on the smurphy page and see what stands out.

I want to say you can fit triple lpl/er large on 50 tonners though. isn't that what invasion calls for?

I believe the answer is 'sparky' though, but hero mechs.

edit:
Going by quirks alone:
panther 8Z and 8R
Raven 4x
wolfhound 1a
assassin 21
cicada 2a
blackjack 1DC
phoenix hawk 1K
Crab 20 (std laser sonly)
Enforcer 5D
Trebuchet 5J (std only)
wolverine 6k and 7k

If you can squeeze a heavy, jagermech 6-S, but if you can fit that just use a wonderbolt.

by hardpoint/structure: i think you want ravens or wolfhounds, possibly an urbanmech.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 22, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Marathanes posted:

Is there an IS medium/light version of the roughneck/battlemaster? Lasers with durability quirks? Looking for something to pad out my IS drop decks with for the upcoming event that won't run out of ammo.

Edit: I guess good old Mr. Greenbeam would work, but it's durability quirks aren't great. Crab? Urbie? Wolfhound?

CRB-72B is excellent. I run this thing with great success, burn durations are very short, and like the RGH/BLR it's very durable, probably moreso than they are relatively speaking. You can put an LFE or XL in it to go faster if you want but the STD is nice since you don't lose much effectiveness when you lose one side, and even with both gone you're looking at still having almost half your guns.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I have run a CRB-27 with a very similar build,.

Being able to lose both arms and side torsos and still hit back with 3mpl is fun, but I find the massive CT hitbox makes it a rare occurrence. The AMS helps against ATMs and LRMs as well.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cicada 2b is a good medium laser boat.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

MRC48B posted:

I have run a CRB-27 with a very similar build,.

Being able to lose both arms and side torsos and still hit back with 3mpl is fun, but I find the massive CT hitbox makes it a rare occurrence. The AMS helps against ATMs and LRMs as well.

Massive CT? Are you sure you're in a Crab?

e: Unless you are intentionally staring at your opponent 100% of the time and he knows exactly where to aim, you should never lose your CT before both STs.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 22, 2018

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Parallelwoody posted:

Hmm ok what would be a good light machine gun mech then, a and what would a good build/skill tree look like? By the way I'm about half skilled in the hell bringer and it's a solid rear end mech.

Machine guns are kind of a brawling weapon, in that they have the greatest impact at the end of the game when torsos are stripped, and the short range.

So if you have a mech specialized in machine guns, like a piranha, or ACH-E arm omnipods, you are best off skirmishing and squirreling until your targets lose their armour.

LMG are good for doing this at range, but that runs a bit counter to the benefit of machineguns, so they have a very niche application.

The mechs I've found that use them best are the urbanmech, arctic cheetah, and the shadowcat. Urbie as supplementary damage, Arctic cheetah with medium lasers of choice for sneaky butt-sniping, and the shadowcat kind of best of all. Since the shadowcat is a skirmishing mech by design, you are usually going to last to end-game. It's pretty awesome to be roof-jumping and pumping out damage with your two LPL, and still be able to finish off weakened enemies.

Yes, this is a post advocating shadowcat use. It's a high skill-ceiling mech, that makes your team hate you for not sharing your armour. But when you run around at the end of a 700+ damage poking game sawing mechs side-torsos off you'll see what I mean.

Oh, AND I use most of the jumpjet skill tree on mine. Not sure that it does anything. Come at me thread.

For skill tree in relation to machineguns, just always take at least one ammo node. You don't need to pack much ammo, so the node seems worth less, but taking it will save you from running out, and spending tonnage.

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 22, 2018

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The jumpjet thread has its uses. I played a shadow cat for a bit as a dick-around mech/teaching myself good ATM habits. Its not ideal, and the pre-tree jumpjets were way better, but i found myself actually wanting the heat discounts for jumping so often.

It does make a difference, though. I spent a bit of time with the jumpy timberwolf and the training maps figuring out how many nodes it takes to make important jumps: like up to the second level of HPG from the ground, or the upper level of the saddle on crimson strait.
Turns out 7-10 is enough in most cases. Vectoring and speed seem to be the most important. I wish there was a recharge skill though.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

aniviron posted:

Massive CT? Are you sure you're in a Crab?

e: Unless you are intentionally staring at your opponent 100% of the time and he knows exactly where to aim, you should never lose your CT before both STs.

Talking about small CT hitboxes, the SunSpider has an extremely stupid small CT hitbox and people have been shaving off up to 36 CT armor on that thing and still don't die from getting cored. If you see one, aim really carefully at the center and teach them a lesson.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

just a little peek over the hill can't possibly hu:gibs:

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Skippy McPants posted:

Sorry, slow on this. The COM-1B is a good little pulse boat. These skills.

Thanks!

Also, all this chat about a Roughneck hero mech, do you get one for free or something?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ataxerxes posted:

Thanks!

Also, all this chat about a Roughneck hero mech, do you get one for free or something?

You got one if you played over Christmas.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
PGI is really opening up the bag as the other game gets close to release.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

for real how are there 3 snow maps and only one forest colony

also i still need a clan invite plz, name is hubcaps in game

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

free hubcaps posted:

for real how are there 3 snow maps and only one forest colony

also i still need a clan invite plz, name is hubcaps in game

Please join the discord. There is no point in us spending the invite fee if you're not going to play with us. This does not mean that if you are in WoL you have to play with us, it's just that there is nothing to gain from being in a Unit, the only point is if you are playing together with us.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
You'll also want to ask specifically for either GIRL or WoL. This only effects Faction Warfare. WoL always has Inner Sphere contracts, and GIRL sticks with the Clans.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

yea I’m a member of legmans losers and beefy sent me an invite to WoL a few weeks ago but I couldn’t join because of my faction alignment, and by the time my week’s probation for desertion was up the invitation had expired.

this game is extremely user friendly and well designed in every respect

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Also, you don't have to be in the unit to play with WoL, at all. Much like Vanilla Ice, I'm on a roll, time to go solo- for the most part. When I do want to play with goons, I just hop on the discord and ask for an invite, it's that easy. I tend to keep the same contract as WoL, but even that's not necessary if you don't want to.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

free hubcaps posted:

yea I’m a member of legmans losers and beefy sent me an invite to WoL a few weeks ago but I couldn’t join because of my faction alignment, and by the time my week’s probation for desertion was up the invitation had expired.

this game is extremely user friendly and well designed in every respect

I sent you a new invite earlier today. Please accept it as all pending invitations make the alert button in the UI flash constantly making me think some pug has sent me a message telling me how awesome I am after every game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It costs a lot of Cbills to bring someone else in, though I don't know that we can spend the unit coffers on anything else.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Being in the unit does allow you to forcibly insert yourself into any group led by a fellow WoL member though because talking to Goons is terrible and you should never do it.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

sebmojo posted:

It costs a lot of Cbills to bring someone else in, though I don't know that we can spend the unit coffers on anything else.

We're up to 5.6mil per invitation now, I've been filling up the coffers after each one but it's starting to get expensive. I mean I can afford it but the richer you get the more cheap you get, know what Im saying. I'll conduct a purge tomorrow, a couple of J4G's haven't logged in in over 6 months.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I won a summoner in a lootbox so went on a drunken robot buying spree and this morning I have a javelin, apparently, the one with 6 missile slots. What is the point of them? Any ideas for a build?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I love playing lights, is a Light Scout laser boat still a thing?

I have a Jenner-7k that I'm trying to learn to play. Is the Beagle Probe worth it on the Jenner?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Hey TjyvTompa is there a way for me to transfer C-Bills to you to repay for my invite?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The factionplay event (lootbags) starts tomorrow and the matchscore requirement is so low it's fast and easy to get it in scouting. We're probably going to have to run several groups as there should be more than 4 people online. As a general rule you want to run brawling mechs as IS to shut down the clans range advantage. We'll be up against some pretty disgusting mechs like the dual LBX20 hunchback, ATM/SRM Huntsmen and lots of Novas with flamers so always focus fire and aim for the legs to take them out quickly.

Some choice mechs to bring:
GRF-2N: SRMs, Flamers, ECM
ASN-21: 4xSRM4's, JJs
BSW: The P1 that is on sale makes an excellent SRM bomber and the BSW-X1 with AC/20+SnubPPC is also really good.
WVR-7K: 3xSRM6, 3xFlamers

After this weekend I want to see the clan homos cry all over the brown sea and reddit about OP IS Mechs after we've smashed their sniping mechs with true brawling power.

sebmojo posted:

I won a summoner in a lootbox so went on a drunken robot buying spree and this morning I have a javelin, apparently, the one with 6 missile slots. What is the point of them? Any ideas for a build?

SRM2's. They even got buffed this patch:
Inner Sphere SRM/2
Heat reduced to 1.7 (from 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Hey TjyvTompa is there a way for me to transfer C-Bills to you to repay for my invite?

There is no need for that...unless you got the cbills to spare, then you can go into the "Faction Play" menu, then the Unit menu and Coffers management, here you can donate money to WoL. Only do this if you have a lot of cbills to spare, there is no need as I nerded it up plenty during the autumn and winter to become filthy space rich.