Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw yet another guy sit at a red for almost the entire cycle and decide 'gently caress it' and just run it less than 30 seconds before it changed. I just don't get that. There were only 2 cars that crossed, so it wasn't like he was waiting for the traffic to get by, and he wasn't impatient enough to just gun it and run a few seconds after it changed. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Came back from lunch today and was at a 4 way stop about a block from my job. Light goes green and the guy in front of me is clearly looking at his phone, sat for almost 10 seconds so I tap the horn and he looks up, gives me the finger, then jams the gas and drives off. Because it's somehow my fault that he wasn't paying attention. I love that he sped off like a bitch though, like I'd be dumb enough to pursue and start something...nah, sorry dumbass, I'll let you get in an accident or take the ticket for being retarded.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Got stuck behind some lil adorbie guy from Nebraska who didnt know how to make a left turn in the big city today. Sat fully behind the crosswalk without moving into the intersection at all and consequently didn't have time to even begin his turn since there are cars in the intersection until the yellow light is almost over every time.

When it looked like he was gonna sit around without moving for a second consecutive cycle I honked at him and pointed when it was time to go and he believed me and it all worked out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Came back from lunch today and was at a 4 way stop about a block from my job. Light goes green and the guy in front of me is clearly looking at his phone, sat for almost 10 seconds so I tap the horn and he looks up, gives me the finger, then jams the gas and drives off. Because it's somehow my fault that he wasn't paying attention. I love that he sped off like a bitch though, like I'd be dumb enough to pursue and start something...nah, sorry dumbass, I'll let you get in an accident or take the ticket for being retarded.

I was in a turn lane yesterday, one of two, where both drivers were distracted.

I gave it a good few seconds, but no one moved or honked till I did.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
been tellin y'all for months,

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Couple months ago some dude was sitting alone in a left turn lane with an arrow, I was heading straight. His light turned green and he never noticed because he was pecking away on his phone.

As it turned yellow he looked up and got to watch it turn red again. I laughed as my light turned green and I drove off. Pay attention fuckstick.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
It really feels like the "idiots not paying attention at a green light" count has gone up. I've had to do a lot more honking than usual and it's always some dipshit looking down.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone goofs and wants to exit the turn lane and return to a through lane.

I don’t mean to reinforce stereotypes, but let’s just say that it is noteworthy, for this brand of cars, that they have their turn signal on.

The light turns green.

Is it wrong to decline to let them in and lay on on the horn till they are stopped by the concrete on the other side of the intersection?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
They probably thought that you'd be too stunned by their use of the turn indicator to get going before they did.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Platystemon posted:

Someone goofs and wants to exit the turn lane and return to a through lane.

I don’t mean to reinforce stereotypes, but let’s just say that it is noteworthy, for this brand of cars, that they have their turn signal on.

The light turns green.

Is it wrong to decline to let them in and lay on on the horn till they are stopped by the concrete on the other side of the intersection?

I'd glare at him the second I saw his signal and rev until blue smoke came out the pipe. Then I'd do the twirl finger in the air and mouth (Let's go, bitch).

e: I drive a 94 corolla

dee eight fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 20, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's not wrong to decline to let them in, just causes unnecessary aggrevation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In unrelated news, I want one of those flip out stop signs that school buses have, but I would replace the red octagon with a big ol’ bird.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Zamujasa posted:

It really feels like the "idiots not paying attention at a green light" count has gone up. I've had to do a lot more honking than usual and it's always some dipshit looking down.

Had one yesterday that was more egregious than usual. Bonus points for being a van that transports people around for medical treatment.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It snowed in Colorado this weekend. It wasn't a horrible storm, but if you were caught out driving, the visibility loving sucked, and there was a lot of slush on the ground so it was a little dicey.

The number of people weaving in and out of traffic and blowing past people while 90% of people were going 40MPH was loving astonishing. I can drive in the snow fine, it's these idiots that make me nervous. Bonus points for the BMW who gunned it to get in front of me at a light, only to turn two blocks down and save zero time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mmm, zesty. Nothing goes with the aftertaste of a tasty burger like the acid of adrenaline getting injected into your veins because some fuckwit decided to make a left turn as you approached an intersection with right of way.

Guess it's good to test your ABS once in a while, right? :v:

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

sleepy.eyes posted:

Saw yet another guy sit at a red for almost the entire cycle and decide 'gently caress it' and just run it less than 30 seconds before it changed. I just don't get that. There were only 2 cars that crossed, so it wasn't like he was waiting for the traffic to get by, and he wasn't impatient enough to just gun it and run a few seconds after it changed. :iiam:

Recorded this, just a couple of days ago. Nearly exactly what you described.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeaRpH9r34U

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I probably got it from this thread, but my favorite thing to do at a light on my motorcycle is wait for somebody to get super-engrossed with their texting, then take off normally for a couple feet into the red light. I never even get to the crosswalk, but seeing a vehicle move in their peripheral vision makes them stomp the gas into crosstraffic, without looking up. It's always really entertaining, at least until one guy ends up taking out a bus of schoolchildren or something.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The negative version of 11'8:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/03/17/the-ttc-is-installing-gates-to-stop-drivers-entering-the-queens-quay-tunnel.html

quote:

After numerous wrong turns, the TTC says it will be installing gates to stop drivers from entering the Queens Quay streetcar tunnel.

Spokesperson Brad Ross announced the move in a tweet Saturday morning, a few hours after yet another car had to be removed from the tunnel.

Here's what the entrance looks like currently:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
"yet another car"

:negative:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdbiVCOwYVw

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Hey, it's a perfectly valid "ditch pursuit" strategy in Grand Theft Auto (3/4/5/San Andreas), as long as you avoid trains...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Duh, there was a paint party. Who wouldn't jump the curb for that?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-43497660

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

This feels like a lot of effort to go to.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Probably driving with one hand/leg and missed the wheel when trying to turn the steering wheel back (hence the left turn blinker).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This feels like a lot of effort to go to.
Well, when you want the best 'uns and you don't ask questions...

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I pulled up behind an early 2000s Dodge Ram diesel dually today and as he took off I realized that he had two different sized tires on his rear wheels. The bigger diameter tires were on the outer dually rim and the smaller diameter tires were on the insides - not even touching the pavement! I'll see if you can spot it on the dashcam when I get home, but I've never seen anything like that before.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I pulled up behind an early 2000s Dodge Ram diesel dually today and as he took off I realized that he had two different sized tires on his rear wheels. The bigger diameter tires were on the outer dually rim and the smaller diameter tires were on the insides - not even touching the pavement! I'll see if you can spot it on the dashcam when I get home, but I've never seen anything like that before.

Oh man, let me tell you about growing up in the rural south.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

“What do you mean I have to buy 4 new tires, only one’s flat!”

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
But.. does it really matter if he's not loaded up?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

totalnewbie posted:

But.. does it really matter if he's not loaded up?

When it's loaded all four touch so it's fine.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Properly buying tires for a dually loving sucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm fine with that because most dually owners don't even buy the truck for the proper reasons.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
There's a large intersection in my city that is kind of offset in alignment or whatever which seems to cause problems for way too many drivers.

The green lines are where the cars should be going but basically half the time some driver in the front will merge into an adjacent lane and nearly sideswipe another car cause they can't keep track of their original lane. This usually only happens with the cars in front since they have no one in front to guide them. :shrug:
I've lost count of how many times I had to swerve so now whenever I'm waiting at the light at the front of my lane, I'll hit the gas to try and get out in front of everyone else.

They really need to draw some guide lines in the intersection or something.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I gotta say it looks like the Xterra handled that really well, I'm kind of impressed.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

hmmxkrazee posted:

There's a large intersection in my city that is kind of offset in alignment or whatever which seems to cause problems for way too many drivers.

The green lines are where the cars should be going but basically half the time some driver in the front will merge into an adjacent lane and nearly sideswipe another car cause they can't keep track of their original lane. This usually only happens with the cars in front since they have no one in front to guide them. :shrug:
I've lost count of how many times I had to swerve so now whenever I'm waiting at the light at the front of my lane, I'll hit the gas to try and get out in front of everyone else.

They really need to draw some guide lines in the intersection or something.

I just wonder if that mobile spray tan spot in the middle of the intersection moves with the dude's van.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ausgezeichnet posted:

I just wonder if that mobile spray tan spot in the middle of the intersection moves with the dude's van.

In the digital age, don’t list your address as an intersection.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I almost did that once, because I was a moron and decided that right now during a turn was the time to reset my trip odometer. Let go of the wheel, trapped my arm, car kept turning, oh poo poo. Luckily I thought it through, turned the wheel, pulled out my arm, and straightened out before anything bad happened.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LloydDobler posted:

I almost did that once, because I was a moron and decided that right now during a turn was the time to reset my trip odometer. Let go of the wheel, trapped my arm, car kept turning, oh poo poo. Luckily I thought it through, turned the wheel, pulled out my arm, and straightened out before anything bad happened.

Doesn't that mash up the gears in there to reset it while moving?

insta posted:

I probably got it from this thread, but my favorite thing to do at a light on my motorcycle is wait for somebody to get super-engrossed with their texting, then take off normally for a couple feet into the red light. I never even get to the crosswalk, but seeing a vehicle move in their peripheral vision makes them stomp the gas into crosstraffic, without looking up. It's always really entertaining, at least until one guy ends up taking out a bus of schoolchildren or something.

This is basically how I got rear ended a few months ago. My lane was stopped due to someone farther up not noticing the light had changed, but all the people moving in the adjacent lanes caused the person behind me to mash the gas even though I hadn't started moving yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Watched a minibus come close to causing a massive accident today. He pulled out into the protected turn lane at a snails pace then out onto the highway at a similar speed. Problem was there was a truck and another minibus closing it at a decent rate of knots. Truck attempted to go around the dawdling bus but the second minibus refused to slow down so instead there was multiple vehicles attempting to slow down with little space to do so. Everyone made it without collision but it was a close run game till they sorted themselves out and we hadn’t yet reached the protected lane.