Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drake_263 posted:

The Cyclops MKI and MKII depth modules don't actually require kyanite. You could theoretically build a Cyclops, plonk an upgrade station on it, and basically use your Cyclops as a giant Seamoth - skip the prawn suit entirely and just pop out to grab some of the few handpickable chunks of kyanite at the lava castle.

It'd be a completely dumbass and arbitrarily difficult way of playing the game, but you could do it.

I mean that's basically what I did :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Section Z posted:

Depends on how many spare ion cubes (and scrounged up freebie purple tablets to save on crafting) you have so you are allowed to make the second blue tablet, then Ion cells for the escape rocket. Since no drill means no drilling up the ion node in the lava castle, or the "3 cubes, every 4 minutes" infinite supply in the containment facility.

Swimming down there because of an absurd pipeline is probably the smaller logistical headache compared to "Aw poo poo, I forgot enough space crystals to get at more space places". Though obviously the more boring and drawn out one.

Gaining the Ion recipies is the easy part because that's just slamming a purple tablet into a console and pushing a button inside the room. It's making sure you have all the exotic materials you need, plus 1 if you want to portal back to mountain island to a pre-made base, that's probably a bigger stumble point if you take for granted how many extra ions you get via drill.

Once you get to the containment facility, you can easily get a prawn back in there to drill the ion cubes.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

So I started a new save file on my new computer because my old save was ancient.

Also, this reaper at the back of the Aurora really loves leaping out of the water for some reason:

Not to be outdone, this ghost leviathan decided to do it too:

(if you're wondering why it's on the surface in the first place, it chased me all the way from the floating ball area on the seafloor and just sort of... hangs out near the surface now.)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Once you get to the containment facility, you can easily get a prawn back in there to drill the ion cubes.

Well yeah. But the whole subject was about going all game without a vehicle :v:

Though a hand drill would be a nice object to have.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol if I saw a Ghost leaping out of the water like that I would never have left the safe shallows

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Section Z posted:

Depends on how many spare ion cubes (and scrounged up freebie purple tablets to save on crafting) you have so you are allowed to make the second blue tablet, then Ion cells for the escape rocket. Since no drill means no drilling up the ion node in the lava castle, or the "3 cubes, every 4 minutes" infinite supply in the containment facility.

Swimming down there because of an absurd pipeline is probably the smaller logistical headache compared to "Aw poo poo, I forgot enough space crystals to get at more space places". Though obviously the more boring and drawn out one.

Gaining the Ion recipies is the easy part because that's just slamming a purple tablet into a console and pushing a button inside the room. It's making sure you have all the exotic materials you need, plus 1 if you want to portal back to mountain island to a pre-made base, that's probably a bigger stumble point if you take for granted how many extra ions you get via drill.

That's a good point, I forgot about the mineable ion deposit.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So I went wandering down into the lost river and came across a big ol' box structure that seems to have broken free from it's moorings. I found some warper bits to scan inside. I then found a giant castle-like structure that had a fuckin Stargate to the giant gun which is super useful because I'm doing all this exploring with my prawn and was very low on food and water. I then kept going down and found a large fish with hands that shoots fireballs and that was alright. He was guarding a place that requires a blue tablet instead of one of the 5 purple ones I'm carrying. Which is bullshit. Also what's this about ion blueprints in the thermal place? I was in there I think (inside the lava castle?) And didn't see any blueprints.

Edit: also how do the portals work? I've found them in other places but the thermal one is the only one that's turned on and taken me anywhere. And it just seems to take me to gun island.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 21, 2018

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

I guess the hard part would be when you run out of pipes far enough from the surface that you can't actually make it back up in time. Hm. Die and respawn? Feels like cheating. Do multiple runs so you have stopping points on the way up at the expense of an exponential parallel work load? You can't sever an air line halfway down and make it usable, can you?

How long an air line can you run before it just stops working because the game's unloaded the surface chunk you started at?

You can add a split to an air pipe chain so that shouldn't theoretically be a problem, just split off an air point every so often

you could also build a single thermal reactor and an external air pump on a single tube and use that as your air supply (meaning construct a one tube and reactor base, you don't even need a door since it's basically just a tube of replenishing air

Sloober fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 21, 2018

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Untrustable posted:

So I went wandering down into the lost river and came across a big ol' box structure that seems to have broken free from it's moorings. I found some warper bits to scan inside. I then found a giant castle-like structure that had a fuckin Stargate to the giant gun which is super useful because I'm doing all this exploring with my prawn and was very low on food and water. I then kept going down and found a large fish with hands that shoots fireballs and that was alright. He was guarding a place that requires a blue tablet instead of one of the 5 purple ones I'm carrying. Which is bullshit. Also what's this about ion blueprints in the thermal place? I was in there I think (inside the lava castle?) And didn't see any blueprints.

Edit: also how do the portals work? I've found them in other places but the thermal one is the only one that's turned on and taken me anywhere. And it just seems to take me to gun island.

Each gate has a specific counterpart it goes to, you can't 'dial in' a different gate than the one it's configured to go to. Most gates are inactive until you power them up - you do this by inserting an ion cube into the square pedestal in front of the gate. If an inactive gate doesn't have a pedestal, it can only be found by finding its counterpart and activating that one. This is designed to make backtracking to certain areas easier while still making you actually explore.

Edit: Once you've activated a gate pair with an ion cube, you can obviously travel either way through the gates, they're always two-way.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's almost certainly easier to just build a bunch of growth beds with the air-bubble coral; maybe with some creepvines and/or jellyshrooms to make 'm more easily visible.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

double nine posted:

it's almost certainly easier to just build a bunch of growth beds with the air-bubble coral; maybe with some creepvines and/or jellyshrooms to make 'm more easily visible.

i'm more amused at the idea of someone building miles of air pipes tbh

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Paracelsus posted:

In addition to the Kyanite, getting into and out of the Thermal Plant for the Ion Battery/Power Cell recipes is going to be a pain.

My first playthrough I didn't realize how deep I was going to end up going and didn't bring the Prawn with me, so I ended up just swimming over. Heat damage isn't really a big deal.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Drake_263 posted:

That's a good point, I forgot about the mineable ion deposit.

My laundry list of insane bugs old and new came alongside learning a lot about all the cool working parts of the game, yeah. That drill node in the lava castle is a great safety net for when you realize "Oh, I need two purples to access Ion blueprints and the blue tablet, then parts to craft a blue" in the deepest depths of the ocean if you didn't already have that stockpiled.

double nine posted:

The trail of brain coral method was incredibly painful and awkward when I gave it a shot and gave up, just from all the sitting around waiting on bubbles before considering inventory space.

But then I never thought to put multiple brain coral in a single planter :downs: so maybe having four of them clustered together works super great?

Pipes may not give air at literally every inch of pipe anymore, but at least they loving STACK now. If only up to 5.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 21, 2018

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Section Z posted:

My laundry list of insane bugs old and new came alongside learning a lot about all the cool working parts of the game, yeah. That drill node in the lava castle is a great safety net for when you realize "Oh, I need two purples to access Ion blueprints and the blue tablet, then parts to craft a blue" in the deepest depths of the ocean if you didn't already have that stockpiled.

The trail of brain coral method was incredibly painful and awkward when I gave it a shot and gave up, just from all the sitting around waiting on bubbles before considering inventory space.

But then I never thought to put multiple brain coral in a single planter :downs: so maybe having four of them clustered together works super great?

Pipes may not give air at literally every inch of pipe anymore, but at least they loving STACK now. If only up to 5.

The hit box for actually getting in the bubble seemed super fiddly for me, so I doubt you could actually get air from more than one brain coral at a time. Unless you manage to get a one-two-one-two rhythm going moving between two corals so you con't need to wait the 2-4 seconds between bubble bursts anymore.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Are recipe fragments stratified by depth, biome, or something else? I mostly want to know what kinds of places I should be searching for moon pool fragments in

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

cheetah7071 posted:

Are recipe fragments stratified by depth, biome, or something else? I mostly want to know what kinds of places I should be searching for moon pool fragments in

Mushroom forest is always my go to for moon pool.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
New game, made my Cyclops purple and green because those are fun colors.

Then I remembered a thing I like, and made this, and i hate it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I gotta say it was a "fun" surprise for a giant, aggressive worm thing to appear out of nowhere while I had my PDA out and then aggressively chase me until my seamoth was destroyed

Fortunately I had just saved. I guess just because it can now go to 900m, does not mean it is safe to take it into biomes that go that deep

I feel like I've been sorta jumping and skipping things because I don't know what crafting recipes are in each "tier" so I dunno if I need to keep exploring in a certain depth, or if I can mostly ignore it until I run out of the material commonly found there. Like I assume I'm supposed to have a Cyclops and I just need to explore for thoroughly for hull fragments, which I've found zero of (while completing the other two recipes). I also dunno if I'm supposed to have something that can mine the big chunks of ore yet.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Soho Joe posted:

New game, made my Cyclops purple and green because those are fun colors.

Then I remembered a thing I like, and made this, and i hate it

I thought it was mandatory to make your submarine yellow

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mine was yellow mostly for visibility reasons. No clue why the name "Bumblebee Tuna" popped into my head, maybe Ace Ventura was on TV in the background.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What would be the best map of the Lost River? Because I'm trying to find the disease facility and it's a bitch to navigate.

Also how much of the main story requires crossing path with reapers outside of the juveniles?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 22, 2018

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Finished the game last night and loved it pretty much throughout.

By far the scariest parts were with dark, open water below you as you're swimming along with no vehicle to protect you.

The feeling of danger fades away at a certain point and never really comes back, but in those first few play sessions when you haven't discovered everything in the game yet, the thought "dear god ANYTHING could be down there!" :ohdear: is so strong and compelling and it made me want to run away as much as it made me want to dive deeper and see what amazing things I could find.

Very few games, including most horror games, elicit such an instinctual reaction of fear and awe. I'm so glad I waited to play this until it left EA, too.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I gotta say it was a "fun" surprise for a giant, aggressive worm thing to appear out of nowhere while I had my PDA out and then aggressively chase me until my seamoth was destroyed

Fortunately I had just saved. I guess just because it can now go to 900m, does not mean it is safe to take it into biomes that go that deep

I feel like I've been sorta jumping and skipping things because I don't know what crafting recipes are in each "tier" so I dunno if I need to keep exploring in a certain depth, or if I can mostly ignore it until I run out of the material commonly found there. Like I assume I'm supposed to have a Cyclops and I just need to explore for thoroughly for hull fragments, which I've found zero of (while completing the other two recipes). I also dunno if I'm supposed to have something that can mine the big chunks of ore yet.

Materials and fragments are separated by biome. Honestly, if you feel like you should have gotten a particular blueprint at this point, look it up on the wiki and explore that particular biome for a bit

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

obviously very spoiler heavy but if you are stuck in storyline progression you can always look here: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Storyline

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I renamed the Neptune into Uranus and made it big and purple.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Will air pipes still work when the chain is so long and far beneath the surface that the ones on the surface aren't loaded anymore?

Or are they just always in memory? I've seen my base be visible from an infinite distance away so it wouldn't surprise me

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Furthest I've made a pipe chain is from the surface down into jellyshroom cave

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there a way to rename beacons that I'm just too dumb to find

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

IIRC it's on the beacon itself somewhere?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Yeah, just face the panel on it and click. I had to use the keyboard, couldn't name poo poo on a controller.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The beacon has a front side and a back side. The front has a screen on it you can click on to rename the beacon. Every other side picks up the beacon and like floating lockers it tends to be finicky.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Floating lockers: most useless item in the game?

e: like I'm pretty sure the game doesn't have ocean currents in it, until I built a base I just dropped all my extra poo poo in a pile under the lifepod.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

e: like I'm pretty sure the game doesn't have ocean currents in it, until I built a base I just dropped all my extra poo poo in a pile under the lifepod.

I haven't used them since I made one during early access and then realized I could never get rid of it. I think it is meant to be a way to store things before you can find the fabricator to make a tube.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I assumed that some kind of garbage clean up would take items left on the sea floor, why else would they give you floating lockers?

Now I just leave my trash free in the ocean, like god intended.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I didn't really figure out that you could build a base at all until after I had made a Cyclops, so I used a ton of floating lockers.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Knobb Manwich posted:

I assumed that some kind of garbage clean up would take items left on the sea floor, why else would they give you floating lockers?

Now I just leave my trash free in the ocean, like god intended.

I thought so too until I left a massive pile of titanium and acid mushrooms on the seafloor right under my lifepod and it never went away :shrug:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I was very concerned with wasting resources on a 'bad' place for a base so I lived out of like 12 floating lockers under the lifepod for quite a while. I think I just assumed base building was permanent or there would be a sunk cost in setting things up -- no idea a hobo tube was even an option.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Technically your lifepod will slowly move until you make a welder and repair it's control panel. But it's so slow you will hardly notice. Though that's had a long history of bugs. Like repairing it making it drift of instead, etc.

Floating lockers also have a long history of bugs. Not matter how many times people scream "They fixed them!" you still see poo poo like screenshots of them upside down on the ceiling of the lifepod post launch, supposedly after placing them outside of the lifepod.

Maybe if the compacted down to a 1 tile item when emptyn alongside a built in beacon version, they could have an interesting niche. But as it you only bother with them as long as it takes to make your first base building tool.

I thought so too until I left a massive pile of titanium and acid mushrooms on the seafloor right under my lifepod and it never went away :shrug:
Depends on if you need to erase your cellcahe files because a plot location deleted itself from the map... Though I think that might eat waterproof lockers anyways like that's eaten beacons in the past :v:

So you want permanent storage as much for insurance against murphy's law. I mean, if stalker teeth still fall through the ground, trusting a junk pile as your storage method does not seem very reliable even for all the times it works out.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 23, 2018

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What would be the best map of the Lost River? Because I'm trying to find the disease facility and it's a bitch to navigate.

Also how much of the main story requires crossing path with reapers outside of the juveniles?

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Mapping_Subnautica

has them all, i used them fairly successfully

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/3/30/MAP_Lost_River.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180220143135

its the green thing in the middle of the map, you can not miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

is there a way to get stalkers to leave my cameras the gently caress alone and stop dragging them off to the rear end end of nowhere. im just trying to map the region from the safety of my base like a huge coward in peace, gently caress off you toothy dicks

if it means I have to eradicate them with my knife 1v1 I will do that