Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

TL posted:

This is not really a wrestling question per se, but maybe someone here knows: I’ve been watching some older WrestleManias on the Network, and I’ve noticed the last five years or so before the HD transition, the picture, at least to me, is noticeably shittier than the shows from the 80s and early 90s. I was watching some of 22 and 23, and the picture was very grainy looking, whereas I was watching 6 a few days ago and the video was as crisp and clean as I can expect a nearly 30 year old SD video to be. Is this just my eyes playing tricks on me, or is there a reason for this?
You're not the only one who's noticed this.

Like the other reply said, some of it seems like it's due to the analog tapes having held up better than the early digital formats. The early episodes of Raw look particularly good, but I dunno how much of that is down to lighting or what.

The ones I'm not sure about are the Attitude Era stuff where it doesn't necessarily look like it was shot digitally but the picture also looks really muddy and dim. For a lot of that period the SmackDowns look a lot better than the Raws, and I have no idea why that would be unless they were shot in a different format for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's not just TV, if you watch certain films from like the early 2000s, ones done on early-model digital film cameras look like dogshit nowadays.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

How long of HBK’s absence from 1998-2002 was due to his injury, and how long was him being constantly hosed up? In other words, if he had kept himself clean when would he have been able to return?

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
He would have been back as soon as 2000 I believe. So yeah it was mostly his issues

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

St Evan Echoes posted:

How long of HBK’s absence from 1998-2002 was due to his injury, and how long was him being constantly hosed up? In other words, if he had kept himself clean when would he have been able to return?

He was supposed to come back for WM X7 so a year and a half was due to him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That was around the point Jericho attacked Regal during a match while dressed as Doink, causing a drunken Shawn to yell at Vince about misusing Jericho by making him be Doink

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So now that Daniel Bryan is back, I was thinking back of some of the best moments, and then I remembered that time when he left the Wyatts in the cage match, which resulted in The Slow Yes Chant That Builds Momentum. Has he done that again? My brain isn't coming up with any more examples.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

it's his version of tuning up the band before The Knee That Beat John Cena

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

it's his version of tuning up the band before The Knee That Couldn't Beat John Cena Roman Reigns

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqyYksVFTzY

What would you call the hold Barrett has on before he does this Rainmaker-y Bullhammer?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Something snakey because that seems to be the tradition for pulling a guy’s arm across his face like that.

What kind of snakes do they have in England?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VJeff posted:

What would you call the hold Barrett has on before he does this Rainmaker-y Bullhammer?

cobra clutch

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Aphrodite posted:

Something snakey because that seems to be the tradition for pulling a guy’s arm across his face like that.

What kind of snakes do they have in England?

We have grass snakes and adders, neither of which contribute well to good wrestling move names unfortunately.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

We have grass snakes and adders, neither of which contribute well to good wrestling move names unfortunately.

I dunno, 'The Adder's Bite" could be a cool name for a move, especially if you have a gimmick that lets you slip in the Cleopatra story as a reason for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

‘Adder but she got away.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gaz-L posted:

I dunno, 'The Adder's Bite" could be a cool name for a move, especially if you have a gimmick that lets you slip in the Cleopatra story as a reason for it.

Top rope double knee to the chest.

"Deathadder", which is a superplex to the outside that always leads to a double count-out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mean, it's a cutthroat hold with an S-grip.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

davidbix posted:

You're not the only one who's noticed this.

Like the other reply said, some of it seems like it's due to the analog tapes having held up better than the early digital formats. The early episodes of Raw look particularly good, but I dunno how much of that is down to lighting or what.

The ones I'm not sure about are the Attitude Era stuff where it doesn't necessarily look like it was shot digitally but the picture also looks really muddy and dim. For a lot of that period the SmackDowns look a lot better than the Raws, and I have no idea why that would be unless they were shot in a different format for some reason.

I remember RAW looked like poo poo on my cable provider after it moved to TNN from USA Network

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dias posted:

That seems like it'd be even more murder than Finn's finisher.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I felt like I had seen that somewhere, then I remembered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN_4k-ENbb0&t=1m2s

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

VJeff posted:

That seems like it'd be even more murder than Finn's finisher.

I was thinking more a Meteora.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not sure you know your asp from your elbow.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Dias posted:

This was always my CAW’s finisher in No Mercy :unsmith:

My other finisher was a Kawada Driver :getin:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BodyMassageMachine posted:

This was always my CAW’s finisher in No Mercy :unsmith:

My other finisher was a Kawada Driver :getin:

Russian Neck Drop

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used the Screwdriver or Burning Hammer.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

VJeff posted:

"David Otunga suing over being Brogue Kicked" is a storyline I completely forgot existed and now I'm worse for being remade aware of its existence

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Tato posted:

Rewatching WCW always reminds me how super loving over the torture rack. No matter what's going on storyline-wise, people lose their poo poo watching Luger hoist a guy on his shoulders and bouncing up and down.

Does anyone in a major promotion use the rack as a finisher these days? And how's Luger doing recently?

if my friend the swole vampire doesn't come back from excursion with a torture rack finisher, i will be very disappointed

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Anybody else ever stop and wonder exactly how Pastamania came to be? Like, who's idea was it, originally? What were the pitch meetings like? Did someone decide to get into the fast-food pasta business and figured they'd need a name to give them a leg up on the competition? Did some sub-division of Turner entertainment try to buy out Chef Boyardee and it went sideways and all they wound up with was a bunch of extra pasta and tomato sauce? Did Hulk Hogan have any input into the menu? Did he even know about it before he showed up to the Mall of America on that fateful Monday evening in September of 1995? Was it, in fact, Hulk's idea because he wanted to go into the restaurant business and pasta was the only food he could think of that could easily replace "Hulka" in the word Hulkamania?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Russian Neck Drop

that's pretty cool but have you thought about giving your character every armbar possible with the six seconds magic and top rope armbar as the actual finishers?

I only say this because my best friend's character is "Russian neck drop into a billion ground Russian neck drops" and I'd say the ratio is 60/40

EDIT: big ups to Kicking Combination Number 2 as well

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Takuan posted:

Anybody else ever stop and wonder exactly how Pastamania came to be? Like, who's idea was it, originally? What were the pitch meetings like? Did someone decide to get into the fast-food pasta business and figured they'd need a name to give them a leg up on the competition? Did some sub-division of Turner entertainment try to buy out Chef Boyardee and it went sideways and all they wound up with was a bunch of extra pasta and tomato sauce? Did Hulk Hogan have any input into the menu? Did he even know about it before he showed up to the Mall of America on that fateful Monday evening in September of 1995? Was it, in fact, Hulk's idea because he wanted to go into the restaurant business and pasta was the only food he could think of that could easily replace "Hulka" in the word Hulkamania?

Hogan and Savage had a pasta eating competition at the opening

Hogan also possibly sexually assaulted the public relations staff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SiKboy posted:

I'm not sure you know your asp from your elbow.

:blush: I have been SiK burned. (I got my 'A' snakes mixed up)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

Hogan and Savage had a pasta eating competition at the opening

Hogan also possibly sexually assaulted the public relations staff.

Wait what? To both of those things.

While I'm here, can someone give a bit more background to Ilja Dragunov's return? I know rovert and coco said something about Bad Bones having a reign of terror and Dragunov coming close to winning previously, as well as WALTER being desperate to end the reign, was it like when Dragon lost a couple ROH title matches and took the summer off to regroup? What was so bad about Bones? Was he eating children?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 23, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wait what? To both of those things.

While I'm here, can someone give a bit more background to Ilja Dragunov's return? I know rovert and coco said something about Bad Bones having a reign of terror and Dragunov coming close to winning previously, as well as WALTER being desperate to end the reign, was it like when Dragon lost a couple ROH title matches and took the summer off to regroup? What was so bad about Bones? Was he eating children?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1996-01-07/news/9601070379_1_terry-bollea-hulk-hogan-extortion

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

What are some new rules that should be added tow restling. Tell them to me pretty soon

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Cavauro posted:

What are some new rules that should be added tow restling. Tell them to me pretty soon

Legalize dick kicks

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

that's pretty cool but have you thought about giving your character every armbar possible with the six seconds magic and top rope armbar as the actual finishers?

I only say this because my best friend's character is "Russian neck drop into a billion ground Russian neck drops" and I'd say the ratio is 60/40

EDIT: big ups to Kicking Combination Number 2 as well

gdi now I wanna make a Zack Sabre Jr. CAW and have him gently caress up everyone’s poo poo

when I got my No Mercy cart it came with an amazing Sagat CAW that did a shitload of Muay Thai knee strikes and kicks and all that poo poo, and his finisher is Kicking Combination 2 and it’s amazing

e:

Cavauro posted:

legalise BB guns

Venomous fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 23, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cavauro posted:

Tearing off a mask shouldn't be a DQ, it should be a method of victory.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

Tearing off a mask shouldn't be a DQ, it should be a method of victory.

It should be the ONLY method of victory. If somebody isn't wearing a mask, you either have to put one on them and then get it off (that's called technical wrestling) or convince them to drop their guard and let the fans see the real them (that's called ring psychology).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Legalize dick kicks

But ball kicks are still banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jerusalem posted:

It should be the ONLY method of victory. If somebody isn't wearing a mask, you either have to put one on them and then get it off (that's called technical wrestling) or convince them to drop their guard and let the fans see the real them (that's called ring psychology).

What if they just rip the other guys head skin off