Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Time to buy this on GOG.

Kind of disappointed that it didn't get the Remaster treatment though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

You can also get 25% off if you own the first two: http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/6588/Monkey_Island_Collection/

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

look who found the nude code

Accordion Man posted:

Time to buy this on GOG.

Kind of disappointed that it didn't get the Remaster treatment though.

It still looks good though

Man, I still have my CD of this goodass game

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

That's the second most exciting game release I've ever seen!

I re-wrote my old review of Darkest Dungeon for today since the original dated from pre-Cove Early Access. It came to ten paragraphs and I'm pretty sure there aren't many left who need to be convinced of its virtues, so I'll just link it. I count it as one of my all-time top 5 on Steam, and I keep coming back to it no matter how many times I get my poo poo kicked in (I lost a game on hard mode like 20 hours in and immediately started another, for example) so definitely check it out if... I don't know, you just discovered Steam yesterday?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The original Maniac Mansion is also available now, but there's multiple other ways of playing that nowadays, so eh.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

corn in the bible posted:

Anyway I've actually been replaying tomb raider because the movie came out. I hear it's awful, but it made me remember my childhood so whatever, Tomb Raider!

The movie, or the game? The movie's not awful, persay, but it is fairly bland, which is perhaps a worse sin. The movie does do a couple of the awesome reboot set pieces justice though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Does it have the grenade launcher bit? It can go straight to the garbage if it doesn't.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
March of 2: Electric Boogaloo

Day 1: The Journey Down: Chapter Three
Day 2: The Fault Series
Day 3: Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Day 4: Off Peak and The Norwood Suite
Day 5: Spycraft: The Great Game
Day 6: Beeswing and Dujanah
Day 7: The Sexy Brutale
Day 8: Herald: Books 1 and 2
Day 9: Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet
Day 10: Choice of Robots
Day 11: The Majesty of Colors of Remastered
Day 12: What Remains of Edith Finch
Day 13: Gorogoa
Day 14: Full Throttle Remastered
Day 15: #WarGames Season 1
Day 16: Gray Skies, Dark Waters
Day 17: Paradigm
Day 18: Aviary Attorney
Day 19: Open Sorcery
Day 20 : Jazzpunk: Director’s Cut
Day 21: Broken Swords 1 and 2

Day 22: Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People

You Can’t Handle My Style

Homestar Runner was and still is one of the greatest web shows ever made. Created by two brothers, Mike and Matt Chapman, Homestar had its origins in a children's book that Mike and his friend Craig Zobel made in 1996 starring the titular character, a friendly, dimwitted athlete. In 2000 the brothers started getting into Flash animation and then decided to make cartoons out of Homestar and his friends, thus Homestar Runner.com was born. Homestar was like the Looney Tunes of the 2000's Internet, a wacky cast of characters getting into all kinds of zany shenanigans. Homestar has aged beautifully and managed to be hilarious while being PG at most in an Internet landscape where tryhard edgy "comedy" was more of the norm, which has mainly all aged like milk in contrast to the genius of Homestar. Homestar's rival, the scheming cheater and wrestleman Strong Bad became a breakout character, so much so that he had entire cartoons starring him where he answered fan emails which eventually became one of the most prominent and beloved parts of the site. Homestar's role lessened some in response, he was still a main character but he now shared the spotlight with Strong Bad, who was the fan favorite that was wont to overshadow his rival. So it's little surprise that when Telltale made an adventure game adaption of the series in 2008 that Strong Bad was made the protagonist.

Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People captures the spirit of the series perfectly, it didn’t hurt that the Brothers Chap were actively involved in development, namely in the writing department. Each of the five episodes has Strong Bad and pals getting involved in a new adventure. Episode 1, Homestar Ruiner, has Strong Bad challenge Homestar in the Free Country USA Tri-Annual Race to the End of the Race in which he then masquerades as Homestar to ruin his reputation, sending Homestar into a deep funk. It’s not long before Strong Bad regrets what he did and tries to make things right. Episode 2, Strong Badia the Free, has Strong Bad in conflict with The King of Town who has instituted an email tax. Strong Bad rebels against The King, and claims independence for Strong Badia, the vacant lot that he likes to hang out in. Episode 3, Baddest of The Bands, has Strong Bad starting a battle of the bands contest to raise money for his broken game console. Episode 4, Dangeresque 3: The Criminal Projective, has Strong Bad show his friends his new homemade movie which the player actually controls in-universe. Finally Episode 5, 8-Bit is Not Enough, has Strong Bad getting sucked into an arcade machine and has to battle the fearsome dragon of his own creation, Trogdor the Burninator.

Gameplay is pretty much standard point and click adventuring, though as I said Episode 4 does really neat and creative things by having you play inside in an in-universe movie. The puzzles are all quite solid and logical as well. They’re also a few minigames you can play such as some arcade games as well making your very own Teen Girl Squad comic.

The atmosphere and writing are perfect facsimiles of the series in game form. The one caveat is that to really enjoy it you’re going to have watched a good amount of the cartoons. One of the biggest sources of humor in the series is callbacks, running jokes, and recurring characters so if you aren’t familiar with them you may not get it. For example, one of the best jokes of the game is revealing something about a long-time recurring character that would mean very little if you weren’t familiar with them already. The game is still funny without prior knowledge of the series, but it really helps. (And seriously you should have watched Homestar by now anyway and if not, change that, most of them are on YouTube now.)

Cool Game for Attractive People is one of Telltale’s best games and a great comedic adventure game, you couldn’t ask for a better adaption of the series.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DrNutt posted:

The movie, or the game? The movie's not awful, persay, but it is fairly bland, which is perhaps a worse sin. The movie does do a couple of the awesome reboot set pieces justice though.

The movie is what I mean. I am well aware of how amazing the games are thank you, do not disparage my childhood

I know people have NES nostalgia or whatever but I grew up with the playstation and that's the era I love most. gimme them low polys over a sprite any day

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The new movie is perfectly okay in the same way the Mortal Kombat movie was perfectly okay. It's not The Dark Knight but its not Transformers either.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kibayasu posted:

The new movie is perfectly okay in the same way the Mortal Kombat movie was perfectly okay. It's not The Dark Knight but its not Transformers either.

:thunk:

Uh. The first Mortal Kombat film is a work of art, you heathen.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
the movie scale of Transformers to Dark Knight is the most :goonsay: thing

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If we're being perfectly honest here I'd rather watch the Mortal Kombat movie again than TDK.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Batman is alright I guess, but how many of those movies have a quad-armed colossus get punched clean in the meat-and-four-veg?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Is there any easy way, or indeed any way, to sort my library by tags? Like, I want to find local co-op games I own, and so far the easiest way seems to be to browse the store by the local co-op tag and scroll though the list looking for ones with the in library note, which seems inefficient.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

Is there any easy way, or indeed any way, to sort my library by tags? Like, I want to find local co-op games I own, and so far the easiest way seems to be to browse the store by the local co-op tag and scroll though the list looking for ones with the in library note, which seems inefficient.
Closest thing is creating your own sorting system by applying categories.

EDIT: F1 2015 is free on Humble for 48 hours.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 22, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

you can use a tool like this https://github.com/Depressurizer/Depressurizer to add everything with tags to categories in your library though it can result in your library being kind of a clusterfuck

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Darkrenown posted:

This site lets you sort your library however you like, if you're okay with looking your games up externally: https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

duckfarts posted:

Man, I still have my CD of this goodass game

Goodsoup is Food.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Too Shy Guy posted:

The icing on this bloody, moldering cake is how incredible it looks and sounds. The graphics are crisp and detailed and levels feature scenic sun-touched fields and freezing peaks in addition to the piles of lovingly-rendered corpses. Enemies are incredibly distinct even when rushing in hordes, and setpieces are grand and memorable.
Really? Watching videos makes Vermintide look like one brown-grey blob.

Accordion Man posted:

Day 21: Broken Swords 1 and 2
The BS series is really the very worst (among popular adventure games). Yes, worse than anything Sierra ever put out. I blame the terrible writing and utter lack of personality displayed by the leads.

In other news, http://store.steampowered.com/app/730820/The_Curse_of_Monkey_Island/ is on steam. It's pretty good.

In other other news, I'm replaying STALKER: Clear Sky. It's... not quite as terrible as everyone says. The faction war and stash system giving you an incentive to explore and fight over most of the game map is neat... and if the AI was actually capable of the basic task of "go to the loving checkpoint please, so I can either secure or defend it", it would actually be pretty fun.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Clear Sky isn't bad, it's just the least good of the STALKERs.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
If anyone was curious Curse of Monkey Island is just running on ScummVM

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Actual steam client talk: It actually supports high DPI displays now! How recently did this happen?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

that ivy guy posted:

Actual steam client talk: It actually supports high DPI displays now! How recently did this happen?
A day or two ago in the latest non-beta client update.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I haven't kept up with the whole multi platform thing for a long while now and plain old gaming for that matter too but how is the performance parity now between Win/Mac/Linux? Sure not all games will be compatible at all but I remember back in like 2012 performance was pretty horrible for Mac (50% slower) and I don't remember linux. I'm not seriously interested in gaming on any of these platforms, just curious how things have come since then. I've been under a rock since like 2012.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Xander77 posted:

Really? Watching videos makes Vermintide look like one brown-grey blob.

It depends on the level, but even the grimy caves and burned-out cities have plenty of details to appreciate. I personally really like the one where you descend through an old mine to reach a troll feeding ground, because even though it's all rough rock and cart tracks the lighting is exceptional, with warm torchlight in some places, cold sunlight spilling in from high ceilings in others, and a pitch-black section that's always pretty harrowing.

At least half the levels have some really vibrant and impressive scenery. There are several set in healthy forests and farmlands, others in bright cliffside cities, one in an old dwarven city that's been overrun and rebuilt as a skaven shantytown. The final level is split between neon green steampunk hellcaves and a warcamp perched on top of a glacier. It's all leagues more striking than comparable games.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

So I haven't kept up with the whole multi platform thing for a long while now and plain old gaming for that matter too but how is the performance parity now between Win/Mac/Linux? Sure not all games will be compatible at all but I remember back in like 2012 performance was pretty horrible for Mac (50% slower) and I don't remember linux. I'm not seriously interested in gaming on any of these platforms, just curious how things have come since then. I've been under a rock since like 2012.
Mac has continued to be kneecapped for big 3D games due to its lovely OpenGL drivers. Recently tools were released for developers to easily port Vulkan stuff to Apple's dumb propietary Metal graphics system, which apparently allowed for a increase in performance of up to 50% over the bad old ways during tests using Dota 2.

As of a year ago, Linux performance tends to depend on how much of a poo poo the developer gave about the Linux port. Which, given very few people use non-Windows OSes for gaming, is kind of rare.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol OK, Apple still doesn't want dirty gamers on their platform.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

The Kins posted:

A day or two ago in the latest non-beta client update.

It's a really nice little quality of life improvement. I appreciate it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Talking about Tomb Raider. The new movie doesn't seem to be video game movies tier bad. I actually enjoyed the Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movie it reminds me of Mortal Kombat 1995 levels of camp.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I liked the new Tomb Raider quite a bit. Enough so to think people were just dumping on it because it's a videogame movie and all videogame movies must be bad by default

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 22, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Clear Sky isn't bad, it's just the least good of the STALKERs.

Yeah it's not great, but it does have some really cool maps - which makes the big all-game-in-one mods for the third game even better. The starting swamp with everybody only having pistols and sawn of shotguns is a really fun place for fights.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ulio posted:

Talking about Tomb Raider. The new movie doesn't seem to be video game movies tier bad. I actually enjoyed the Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movie it reminds me of Mortal Kombat 1995 levels of camp.

The Jolie Tomb Raider is so 2000 it hurts. "What if Lara Croft but the Matrix."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmrYX1RFmjs

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Haha ya also Jolie's terrible British accent was a highlight of the movie.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

lets hang out posted:

It's not obvious but there is a way up that doesn't force you to go through unfortunate development. Remember the long vertical shaft back near the start? In the like 3 screens wide room at the top of that shaft there are unmarked pipes you can go through in the far bottom left that will put you on an alternate route through five pebbles. Longer, but maybe easier?

Ahhh gently caress that would have been nice to know after I finished hammering my balls into dust.

This game is sadistic and it's great.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ulio posted:

Haha ya also Jolie's terrible British accent was a highlight of the movie.

It fit perfectly next to Daniel Craig's terrible American accent.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My biggest problem with the new movie is that Walton Goggins' character got changed from 'crazy cult leader' Mathias to a Trinity goon (and even Trinity was way toned down from the zealotry in Rise to more of just generic Blackwater dudes). So I feel robbed of being able to see him go hog wild and the amount of Goggins scenery chewing was diminished as a result. Also, instead of a hodge podge crew of stereotypes cranked to 11, Lara gets 1 Daniel Wu, and while he's cool, Lara's crew from TR13 was mostly likeable enough to give the story beats some meaningful stakes and sorely missed.

Also, McNulty is McNulty and I am yet to see him in anything else in which he actually does anything worthwhile.

All that said it's still a competent action flick and Alicia Vikander does a good job with what she's given (though my gf was really salty that they didn't just cast Camilla Luddington).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I've never seen the second Jolie film...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOMv5lJpHwY&t=25s

but maybe i should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DrNutt posted:

My biggest problem with the new movie is that Walton Goggins' character got changed from 'crazy cult leader' Mathias to a Trinity goon (and even Trinity was way toned down from the zealotry in Rise to more of just generic Blackwater dudes). So I feel robbed of being able to see him go hog wild and the amount of Goggins scenery chewing was diminished as a result. Also, instead of a hodge podge crew of stereotypes cranked to 11, Lara gets 1 Daniel Wu, and while he's cool, Lara's crew from TR13 was mostly likeable enough to give the story beats some meaningful stakes and sorely missed.
Which is a shame because I wanted full on Lee Russell as a villain.