Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Jason Sextro posted:

Many of those things were. Dibiase came with his own Million Dollar Belt iirc, which was pretty sweet

I still got this figure at home, had 2 versions (one with the green/silver tux, the other with black/gold) but lost the green one :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I still got this figure at home, had 2 versions (one with the green/silver tux, the other with black/gold) but lost the green one :(

The green one is usually easy to find in flea markets and garage sales.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Rarity posted:

While this match had slightly more going on to it than I initially expected it still wasn't anything special. I feel like I'm supposed to be way more into Bulldog than I actually am. Especially as the original UK guy he should automatically be getting the same love from me that guys like Regal, Layla and Barrett always got. But I just can't bring myself to care because the guy is a charisma vacuum. The same does not hold for noted Good Dog, Winston, who is by far the star of this double act. What a cutie!

He does noticeably better when he gets a better opponent for a pay per view sometime in... 1992? Yeah.

Bulldog, not the bulldog, who was already a good boy. :dogge:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

You mean a different Bulldog/Warlord match, right? :ohdear:

It helps if you don't see it as just a random match thrown together on a PPV (much like the other two you've written about). There was an angle going into this match and it was basic as hell while having a completely solid dynamic based on who the two guys were.

British Bulldog was the "strong guy" of WWF. He was the strongest face in the company outside of Hogan and Warrior, but they had main-eventer bullshit making them unbeatable. Bulldog didn't have an automatic win button, so his major characteristic as an in-ring competitor was raw strength. He was like the Thing or Colossus, but what happens when Thing fights the Hulk or Colossus fights Juggernaut? If your identity is based on being the big, strong guy, what's it mean when you're up against someone who's bigger and stronger than you?

So then you have the Warlord, who was built up as being completely unstoppable with his full nelson. If he locked it on, you were hosed. Nobody could break out of it and while Chris Masters had a similar role, he played it smug while Warlord was just an evil monster who liked hospitalizing the weak.

Not only was Bulldog seemingly at a disadvantage with strength and size, but also in terms of finishers. On paper, he couldn't break the full nelson and Warlord was just too big to do the running power slam. He came into the match totally outclassed.

And so, he used his speed and agility. He changed up his style and ran circles around the Warlord to make up for his own flaws. Bulldog stepped it up for this match and to his credit, Warlord had the chemistry to mesh with him and hold his own. By the time they got to the ending, they didn't bullshit it like they would a Hogan or Warrior match. If Warlord locked in his full nelson completely, you could believe that it would be over. But Warlord didn't lock the fingers. Either he couldn't or he didn't feel like it. Bulldog used that window to power out and THEN proved the narrative wrong by lifting him up for the power slam.

Big, strong face forced into an underdog position by a bigger, stronger heel is one of my favorite tropes. It's why Sheamus vs. Big Show was so good and why Roman and Braun matches tend to be fun. And hell, it's why I give Hogan vs. Andre a pass.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dino was one of those wrestlers where he was a better worker when he was kinda fat.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also Warlord's full nelson was called The Chiropractor's Nightmare, which is the best name for a finisher ever

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

BOOTY-ADE posted:

The green one was a later one. It had stomping action. The black one was the earlier one with swinging punch action I think.

I owned neither because I was a poor piece of garbage.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
I somehow slept on this thread until the other day. I am now all caught up. This has been such a treat. So much of this I remember seeing from random VHS rentals back in the early 90s and issues of WWF magazine. Thanks, Rarity, this is just great.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Also Bobby Heenan hired an imposter Queen Elizabeth that ran down Bulldog and talked up the Warlord but it was exposed on Prime Time Wrestling in a GTV style video that she was a fraud and was smoking stogies with the Brain

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I found (I think?) some old matches of Dino Bravo in Montreal, pre-WWF, when (iirc) he still had black hair. He was actually never very good, but he was a huge draw in Montreal. Sometimes guys kind of turn to poo poo because of the very plodding punch-kick-slam style of 80s WWF but Bravo was never that great from what I saw.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Usually when Rarity notes a wrestler's final PPV appearance, they're gone from the company within a week or month. Dino's a big exception as he lasted in the company for another year, finally leaving in April 1992. Dude had so little going on during all that time they he couldn't even get a Royal Rumble spot.

At least he inadvertently taught Caveman Brendan Fraser how to fight in Encino Man.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It still fucks with my head to think of Wrestlemania matches with jobber entrances for most of the talent.

CubsWoo posted:

Also Bobby Heenan hired an imposter Queen Elizabeth that ran down Bulldog and talked up the Warlord but it was exposed on Prime Time Wrestling in a GTV style video that she was a fraud and was smoking stogies with the Brain

I choose to believe the actual Queen Elizabeth hangs out backstage smoking stogies with The Brain :clint:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

I choose to believe the actual Queen Elizabeth hangs out backstage smoking stogies with The Brain :clint:

Can confirm, Lizzie is a noted fan of the stoge

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
In the back Zombie Mean Gene is with the Nasty Boys and Jimmy Hart as they prepare to challenge the Harts for the Tag Team titles. This is our introduction to the other Nasty Boy, Jerry Sags. I've never heard of this dude before but he's got a ratty short mohawk mullet and a tooth missing right at the front of his mouth and I instantly hate him. Sags says that their time has come and Knobbs adds that they're going after the foundation so everything will come crumbling down. The Boys then steal Zombie Mean Gene's hankie and wipe bogeys on it. No, I'm not making it up, this actually happened. Seriously, what the gently caress guys? Are you five? I get that being gross is your gimmick but there's better ways to show it. As Zombie Mean Gene throws us over Sags starts smugly posing behind him. Ok, that won me over ever so slightly.

MOST HOMOEROTIC MOMENT

Jerry Sags: “Now it's time to find out what Nasty sensation is all about”

WORST HAIR

Jesus guys, try showering. That's disgusting.

Elsewhere, Mooney is with the Hart Foundation. Anvil is well pumped up and screams that in order to crack the foundations you need to be right at the bottom which is exactly where the Nasty Boys are. And I'm sure exactly where the Nasty Boys like it. Bret thinks that they're scum who lack the heart to take the titles. Again, I'm not sure these lads would disagree with you.

WWF Tag Team Title Match
The Nasty Boys vs. The Hart Foundation

I said at the start that I was very hype to see the Harts defend the tag belts. Realising that their opponents are going to be the Boys has hampered my excitement somewhat because I already don't like these guys and by the look of them they're not going to be up to much in the ring either. Which is a shame when we got a few teams kicking about that I'd be interested in seeing got up against Harts. However, it's still Bret and Anvil with champion gold at Wrestlemania so it's still pretty drat sweet.

The Boys roll out first and holy hell their theme is atrocious. It's the same four lines of drumbeat over and over again while the DJ constantly scratches the record over the top like his hand is superglued to the record. Ow, my ears. Jimmy's with them and he's got a crash helmet on, which I assume is to protect his ears from this terrible loving music. The Harts come out to a chorus of big cheers. They've got the belts, they've got THE JACKETS, this has got to be peak Hart Foundation right here. And as they get ready in the ring we get the next entrant in...

Gotta open up that celebrity wing

We kick things off with Sags coming on strong against Bret but he quickly gets back into things with a Thesz press on Sags and a Manhattan drop on Knobbs. Sags goes for a big boot but Bret catches his leg and hits a single leg takedown. Anvil comes in and starts stiffing the gently caress out of Knobbs as only Anvil can. He connects with a shoulder block that sends Knobbs flying out of the ring. Things carry on this way for a while with the Harts dominating proceedings. Although I'm sure the Boys are doing a great job of rubbing their bogeys all over their ring gear.

Bret continues the assault as he hits a Russian leg sweep and a second rope elbow drop but Knobbs realises things are running away from his team and just runs in to lamp Bret on the back. Boo, that's not even pretending to hide your cheating. This blatant piece of interference allows Sags to take control and he nails a backbreaker before locking in a camel clutch. Now that they're on offence this is my first real chance to look at the Boys and ugh, they suck real bad. They're very much a throwback to this style of wrestling that we're starting to move away from, it's a real step backwards for the WWF. There is one bright moment where Sags hits the Rude Awakening but that's only because it reminds me of my boy and you shouldn't be entertaining me by making me think of better wrestlers than you.

For a moment it looks like Bret might get back into the match when he connects with a neckbreaker but his momentum stalls out fast. Knobbs comes in and slaps on a camel clutch but Bret stands up and falls over backwards to just dump him on his rear end. Again, he gets cut off and the Boys whip him into the corner. Sags sends Knobbs following after for a stinger splash but Bret dodges and follows with a clothesline to Sags. Man, they're teasing the gently caress out of this hot tag, aren't they? Jimmy tosses the megaphone in to Knobbs but he accidentally nails Sags with it. Ah, there we go, that'll do it.

A visual metaphor

Anvil comes storming in and he goes on a tear. He lifts Knobbs up and flat out hurls him it Sags, it's loving ace. He follows up with a powerslam to Knobbs and then the Boys collide in the ring. Jimmy gets his annoying rear end up on the apron but Bret shoves him off and the Harts hit the Hart Attack on Knobbs. Oh yeah, that's how it's done! But wait, the ref wants to get Bret out of the ring! Oi, count the pin, you fucker! While the ref's pushing Bret away Jimmy throws Chekhov's helmet over to Sags and he hits Anvil with it! What? The Nasty Boys win? Noooooo! The Harts are stunned, the Boys are delighted, Jimmy grabs the belts and starts rolling around on the floor with them. Wow, gently caress this bullshit.

Godammit, they got me. They really got me. I am fuming, lads. Seriously, the Boys are an absolutely terrible tag team who are poo poo in the ring and grody as hell and I can't stand them. I want them off my TV and I want it now. And I really thought that the Harts had pulled it off and I was so pumped and then they immediately undercut it. Ugh, I really don't want to have these guys as champions, for gently caress sake.

gently caress you, Jimmy. Ugh, you're the worst.

Addendum: Geez, as if my rage here wasn't enough it's just been made even worse as I've learned that this is the final time we'll be seeing this original flavour of the Hart Foundation. Now obviously this isn't the last we see of Bret because he's about to start his journey towards megastardom and I know enough to know that Anvil's showing up again somewhere down the line as well. However, I wanted to reflect on the Harts as a team because they were the most vital team of the 80s. While Demolition were getting all the attention and all the title reigns, the Harts were always holding the division up to ensure there was a base level of quality. As characters Bret and Anvil struck the perfect mix of being complimentary without being identical. They were rad as hell, they weren't scared to wear pink twenty years before it was cool and they had the most bombass jackets you'll ever see. I'm really glad that they got to have a nice long run with the titles before they bowed out and even though they're going this isn't a sad goodbye. We've got a lot to look forward to here.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

The tag division definitely took a serious hit when the Hart Foundation split up. We're a long way from 1989 in a very short time.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I remember to get this title shot, the Nasties won a battle royal with literally every non-Hart team in the division in it. Their winning was treated even on TV like "What the gently caress, *these* goobers? Really?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Hart Foundation absolutely ruled, but it is kind of weirdly appropriate to WWF booking that their long run as a team was ended by losing to as lovely a team as the Nasty Boys.

Rarity posted:

A visual metaphor

:discourse:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

The Hart Foundation absolutely ruled, but it is kind of weirdly appropriate to WWF booking that their long run as a team was ended by losing to as lovely a team as the Nasty Boys.

:discourse:

In, if I remember correctly, one of the only two Nasty Boys matches I ever liked.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Thanks, I was worried nobody would get that one! :D

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the Nasty Boys owned, you just needed to put them with a team as unprofessional and dangerous as they were, by which I mean either the Steiners or the LOD

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
e

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 22, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Feels, can you edit that out please? You're basically informing Rarity of a time limit for certain things happening in the future.

Edit: Thanks :)

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 22, 2018

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

fart blood posted:

The green one was a later one. It had stomping action. The black one was the earlier one with swinging punch action I think.

I owned neither because I was a poor piece of garbage.

:smith::hf::smith:

Most of the classic figures I had I got in my teens when I worked odd jobs, others I got for Christmas or birthdays

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 23, 2018

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

The Boys roll out first and holy hell their theme is atrocious. It's the same four lines of drumbeat over and over again while the DJ constantly scratches the record over the top like his hand is superglued to the record. Ow, my ears.

"I tell you, Perry the Platypus, everyone's a critic! I'm only here so I can meet Marla Maples anyway."

Anyway, this is usually the part where I act against your opinion and tell you how awesome the Nasty Boys really are, but no. They're the worst. They're also Hogan flunkies, which probably has something to do with them being tag champs.

It also has something to do with them showing up on TNA in 2010.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kinda like the Nasty Boys :ohdear:

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 23, 2018

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the Nasty Boys owned, you just needed to put them with a team as unprofessional and dangerous as they were, by which I mean either the Steiners or the LOD
I think I still remember them being in WCW at the same time as Public Enemy and... well, you're wrong.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Randaconda posted:

I kind like the Nasty Boys :ohdear:

How's retirement treating you, Mr Hart?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Randaconda posted:

I kind like the Nasty Boys :ohdear:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

How's retirement treating you, Mr Hart?

While we're at it, can you send me a bunch of your old airbrushed jackets?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
While this is effectively the end of the original Hart Foundation, they did a few more matches on marquee shows like MSG and notably the infamous SWS/WWF crossover Tokyo Dome show which happened the week after WM7.

So, here's a more proper sendoff for the Harts versus the Rockers at the 3-30-91 Tokyo Dome show (in lovely video quality, unfortunately):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x32qyz9

Despite being two face tag teams, the Rockers and Harts had a surprising amount of matches against each other from 89-91.
Don't know how this one compares to some of those, but it's prob better than the very infamous phantom Title Switch with the broken ropes.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Nasty Boys were for some ungodly reason a big deal and somewhat important figures because of Hogan I guess.Here's some fun facts: they're home town heroes where I live and they got photos up at the local pizza shop. I also apparently have Knobbs autograph that my dad got when he saw him at a beer fest thing and he spelled my name wrong. Oh oh and they are both incredibly stupid if my one highschool teacher's stories about them are true. The last one I have is that Knobbs was getting wasted at a bar and got into a fist fight with one of my former coworkers. I can't wait until you see their big signature move.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

There are some fun shoot stories about them, mainly revolving around Knobbs being a weenie who would pick fights he couldn't back up (I think Ken Shamrock got pissed at him and dangled him over a balcony). Sags was supposedly a tough guy though and no one messed with him

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Also, pro-tip: Under no circumstances should you ever, ever, ever, EVER look up Brian Knobbs on GIS with the safe search turned off.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Eh, the Nasty Boys were always sort of in the right place at the right time and in with the right people (Jimmy Hart and Hulk Hogan)to get their success.

They kinda worked at this time in the WWF because they were essentially human versions of Rocksteady and Bebop from TMNT.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also their terrible theme song was in fact written by Jimmy Hart, so y'know, thanks Jimmy

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Gavok posted:

Also, pro-tip: Under no circumstances should you ever, ever, ever, EVER look up Brian Knobbs on GIS with the safe search turned off.

Doing this now

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

fart blood posted:

Doing this now

post a trip report for us cowards plz

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
What, I see nothing abnormal

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

fart blood posted:

What, I see nothing abnormal

and this was the day we learned that Google has a very distinct profile of Gavok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shiki Dan posted:

They kinda worked at this time in the WWF because they were essentially human versions of Rocksteady and Bebop from TMNT.

This is such a great comparison.