Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Nope. I could pile them up in my driveway but I'm not gonna be that guy, also gently caress shuffling cars around.

I don't even have a garage, just one carport. The Lexus goes under the car port, and my xB goes next to that in front of the gate. Jeep will go behind gate.

You need to buy a bigger house, so you can park more cars around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The real answer is you ditch the xB, right, and get this, drive your new Wrangler instead. Then, where you would put the Wrangler, right, you park your weird JDM camper van. EZ $$

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

New Wrangler lol those things are over 30k now.

I'll be getting a sub 5k beach Jeep, so that means no a/c, no top and no doors at any time :)

I've daily driven a Wrangler before, not doing that again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

I'll be getting a sub 5k beach Jeep, so that means no a/c, no top and no doors at any time :)

"New" to you, why on earth would you buy a new Wrangler? Those are the new minivans and are silly.

:siren: Tonight's Auction Report :siren:

Auction Sheet posted:

14094- 5MT, AC, diesel, warranty booklet, interior dirty burns and scratches, seats worn burn holes, left rear inner panel repairs, core support bent, left front inner fender bent, undercarriage corrosion, steering wheel and shift knob worn, added mirror cracked, 2 headrests missing, dashboard glue remains, other dents scratches faded and paint waves

Inspector posted:

-14094- engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker at 8/2007 100,346km, some rust in coolant, no oil leaks, no sludge, battery area hand size dent and rust, core support slightly bent not noticeable, tires worn, spare 50%, wheel wells ok, undercarriage large areas of rust and some corrosion but no holes visible, left front fender dents and rust, fender mirror casing cracked, raining so hard to check windshield but no large cracks or bullsyeyes, left rear inner repair ok, drivers seat 3x burn holes, carpet 3x burn holes, burns in center console area, dashboard clue in center, ceiling liner dirty, AC most likely ok, compressor ok, clutch ok, gears ok, tach not working at idle, 4WD ok, wipers ok, windows ok, lights ok, interior dirty

I really like this specific style of 70 series, medium wheelbase with a removable fiberglass top for potential cool convertible action. Manual transmission, big lug I6 diesel and in pretty good shape with fairly low miles and AC. Like enough that I think it might be the sort of car that would replace my Rugger. I put in a respectable 700000 yen bid, prices generally are kind of all over the place but from past auctions of this specific Cruiser goes for 320000 R yen to 550000 for a 3 grade. This one is an R grade.
High bid was 905000 yen, right, and that was under the reserve because the reserve wasn't met. Insane given the normal history of sales for R grade HZJ73 Cruisers but oh well nothing makes sense :toot:
Everyone involved was confused so at least I wasn't alone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Listen to the thread Leica, Scions are for nerds.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The 2018 JL Wrangler is supposed to be really easy to daily, haha.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Listen to the thread Leica, Scions are for nerds.

I happen to like my xB very much thank you :colbert:

Charles posted:

The 2018 JL Wrangler is supposed to be really easy to daily, haha.

Yeah even the JK is much easier to live with. But daily drive a YJ? Lol no.

Mine will be a toy basically.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nope. I could pile them up in my driveway but I'm not gonna be that guy, also gently caress shuffling cars around.
Nah, be that guy. MORE CARS.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

InitialDave posted:

Nah, be that guy. MORE CARS.

Basically the only thing I need is the space to store many cars in various states of disassembly

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Yeah even the JK is much easier to live with. But daily drive a YJ? Lol no.

Mine will be a toy basically.

Yeah the YJ I own I bought from a university student that bought it because it was neat, but then realized she'd have to be commuting over an hour every day for her practicum and she quickly realized how bad of a daily driver it was. Also gas in Vancouver is now C$1.50/L lol.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There's a house in the next neighborhood over that is perfect for car storage, has a super tall two car garage that can fit a large RV and a paved back yard that has a paved drive going to it with like 3 car ports back there nicely hidden. The previous owner must have been a car repair guy or something, but the people living there now don't even use the loving garage for their one car what a waste.

It kinda sucks i don't have a garage or more car storage space like kaker does, but i love my house so I just deal with what I have. I would love to have a class C RV but oh well, nowhere to put it. Not many people have that kind of space, maybe if I lived out in the FL boonies but I don't want to live there among all the rednecks, so I'll take the cons with the pros of living near the beach.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

More like old, you'll see one day.....

Jerk :argh:

Pffft. I'm old and have two cars in the driveway two cars in the street, and two cars in the back yard. Did have one in the garage, but sold it.
Now, one of the cars in the street needs to go back in the driveway, but I'm lazy (*this* is where the old comes in.)

fake edit: I keep sneaking peeks at auctions for Mazda Cosmos. Thank God I don't have any money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

also gently caress shuffling cars around.

This. I didn't think it'd be that annoying, but it is obnoxious as gently caress to have to move one or both of my cars out of the driveway to be able to drive the truck. The next place I buy will absolutely have enough parking room to make sure the truck can be pulled out of the garage without moving anything else.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

This. I didn't think it'd be that annoying, but it is obnoxious as gently caress to have to move one or both of my cars out of the driveway to be able to drive the truck. The next place I buy will absolutely have enough parking room to make sure the truck can be pulled out of the garage without moving anything else.

This is indeed true.
Part of the reason the Cutlass is still in the street is I need to figure out an arrangement that doesn't block the side of the garage that was vacated by the sold RX-7. I want to continue to use that for vehicle service.
I suppose I could park my (non-op) motorcycle in the back yard, as it's what's in the way on the other side of the driveway. Or lay out some more pavers to the side of the driveway and park it there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How old are you exactly? Do you have kids? I'd say after my son was born I slowly started caring less an less about cars and loving with cars. Back in my younger years I'd love to have a yard full of running and non running cars but now days I couldn't care less and i worry more about maximizing my time better to spend with my family. Working on cars is not time well spent to me anymore.

Although getting an older Wrangler will help with getting my son to learn because lord knows poo poo is gonna break, and he's getting old enough to start doing it so it will eventually be his job to fix the Jeep :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

How old are you exactly? Do you have kids? I'd say after my son was born I slowly started caring less an less about cars and loving with cars. Back in my younger years I'd love to have a yard full of running and non running cars but now days I couldn't care less and i worry more about maximizing my time better to spend with my family. Working on cars is not time well spent to me anymore.

Although getting an older Wrangler will help with getting my son to learn because lord knows poo poo is gonna break, and he's getting old enough to start doing it so it will eventually be his job to fix the Jeep :v:

(Me, as your son)
"Dad, why aren't we cool with a cool JDM motorhome?"

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

It's beautiful

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy crap. Why oh why are there no interior pics?

I'm really curious to see what that will sell for.....Dude you should bid on it, with all the RVers that live/vacation down here you could probably name your price for that thing.

Jesus, if Australia is any indication these things go for big time money

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-campervans-motorhomes/toyota+coaster+motorhome+for+sale/k0c20011?sort=rank

A 1988 is selling for 33k :aaa:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 23, 2018

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Hey Aussie AI Goons, time for us to sell Toyota Coasters to the Americans for a huge mark up!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

"New" to you, why on earth would you buy a new Wrangler? Those are the new minivans and are silly.

:siren: Tonight's Auction Report :siren:

I really like this specific style of 70 series, medium wheelbase with a removable fiberglass top for potential cool convertible action. Manual transmission, big lug I6 diesel and in pretty good shape with fairly low miles and AC. Like enough that I think it might be the sort of car that would replace my Rugger. I put in a respectable 700000 yen bid, prices generally are kind of all over the place but from past auctions of this specific Cruiser goes for 320000 R yen to 550000 for a 3 grade. This one is an R grade.
High bid was 905000 yen, right, and that was under the reserve because the reserve wasn't met. Insane given the normal history of sales for R grade HZJ73 Cruisers but oh well nothing makes sense :toot:
Everyone involved was confused so at least I wasn't alone.

So if that isn’t normal, what do they normally go for? Just curious bc I’m very interested in importing something like this but I’m not sure I could effectively pitch a 10-15k$, 25yo vehicle to a skeptical wife.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You Am I posted:

Hey Aussie AI Goons, time for us to sell Toyota Coasters to the Americans for a huge mark up!

How are they regarded over there? I'm assuming they are way better in every way than any Ford/Chevy/Dodge equivalent we have in the states.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Holy crap. Why oh why are there no interior pics?

I'm really curious to see what that will sell for.....Dude you should bid on it, with all the RVers that live/vacation down here you could probably name your price for that thing.

Jesus, if Australia is any indication these things go for big time money

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-campervans-motorhomes/toyota+coaster+motorhome+for+sale/k0c20011?sort=rank

A 1988 is selling for 33k :aaa:

Maaaaaybe. Remember this thing will be right hand drive. That's manageable in a car or something from the 90s where you can see out of no prob but a massive motorhome? Trying to convince your standard motor home owner to go with one of these might be harder that you'd think. I don't actually know, of course, because it does say 'Toyota' on it. It is rad, and no I will not bid on it shipping for this has to be 5k USD if not more.

LeeMajors posted:

So if that isn’t normal, what do they normally go for? Just curious bc I’m very interested in importing something like this but I’m not sure I could effectively pitch a 10-15k$, 25yo vehicle to a skeptical wife.

Like I said the only other two that are the same model and year that sold in the last three months were an R grade and a 3 grade. The R went for 330000 yen and the 3 went for 550000. Both of them were lightly modified but to ask for one million yen on an R grade one confused everyone at JCD and myself. Paying 10k, total, for it sitting at your house (but before title registrations and plates) is expected, but not 10k just for the truck. Sometimes things just go for crazy money, other times they go for nothing. Part of the auction process I guess. I still don't quite have a feel for how it goes but I'm getting better. Take this for instance:

This is a 3.5 grade, interior B Prado, but it's the desirable 3.0 KZ engine rather than the 2.4 TE that Australia hates. This is a desirable model and is ""tastefully"" modified which seems to draw lots of money. It went for $7500 which is where I would have expected the one I posted earlier to approach. They can go into the 10ks but not for an R grade. not usually.

Here is another Prado, this one just a 3 grade with an E grade interior. Short wheelbase, manual transmission, same 3.0 turbo diesel as the one above. Stock this time, but has rust in the butt, you can see it in the rear wheel arch. Went for $6360, but it's a very pretty red with a very brown interior.

And other things I had my eyes one but didn't bid

Rad SWB turbo diesel Pajero, manual transmission with AC. Pretty good shape, pretty blue but had a palm-sized rusting bubble on the rear right fender. Verified 63000 actual kms on it too. $3190

This time a 4 door Pajero but in not very good shape. The sheet says:

quote:

AT, AC, diesel, 7 seater, mileage unverified, small chips in windshield, interior dirty tears and dirty, frame dent scratches and surface rust, steering wheel worn (large), ceiling liner burns and dirty, undercarriage surface rust, body faded, front diff and transmission oily, black smoke (little), right front seat torn and taped, other dents scratches and surface rust
That it didn't sell for $2500 is kinda surprising to me but maybe these ones are desirable? idk.

Manual transmissioned Delica in really great shape, 3.5 interior grade B. I'm pissed at myself for not going after this one but I assumed it would clip into the $5000s but it didn't, went for $3750. Shoulda went with my gut and bid but OH WELL.

A neat diesel manual-transmissioned 4WD Nissan van. I didn't have the sheet translation but a B grade interior is pretty good. Looks like it has a bit of rusting along the rear bottom edges. Air conditioning to boot, $2190.

EDIT

lmao forever

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 23, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So it sold for 6k, and 5k for shipping puts it around 11k which is not too bad if you could get 20k or more for it, as long as it's clean it's possible to make even more than that. Of course storing that big of a vehicle would be an issue.

As far as right hand drive not being able to see, that's what cameras are for, all the larger RVs have cameras now anyways it's a non issue really.

Of course making that step to figure out if there is even a market for them is the risky part, but something like that could catch on like the Delicas, you never know.

[e] from the pics it looks like it already has cameras on the back and each side.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

So it sold for 6k, and 5k for shipping puts it around 11k which is not too bad if you could get 20k or more for it, as long as it's clean it's possible to make even more than that. Of course storing that big of a vehicle would be an issue.

As far as right hand drive not being able to see, that's what cameras are for, all the larger RVs have cameras now anyways it's a non issue really.

Of course making that step to figure out if there is even a market for them is the risky part, but something like that could catch on like the Delicas, you never know.

[e] from the pics it looks like it already has cameras on the back and each side.

I can see taking a leap on something like this later when I'm more established but there are so many other lucrative things to move on to before this. Plus like you said, where would I put the thing.

Finally a non-USS one of these so we can see the price if it sells.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Double post

Sheet posted:

-7134- 5MT, AC, Diesel, undercarriage surface rust, small chips in windshield, studless tires, floor carpet dirty, other dents and scratches

Inspector posted:

-7134- engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, next oil change 53,000 km, no sludge, radiator fluid ok, no oil leaks, studless tires 7mm, spare tire worn, undercarriage surface rust and on suspension, left side rear door slide bar 3cm corrosion hole in step area, arches ok, boots ok, interior good condition just needs cleaning, ceiling liner dirty, no burns, AC ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check engine lights ok, 4WD ok, left front turn signal bulb out, other lights ok, radio speaker wire loose, wipers ok, windows ok, power steering ok, inspector says van is in good condition for age.

Put in a bid for 335,000 yen, double the price they typically go for (185000 at the max). Turbo diesel w/ 5 speed manual and only 50k kms on it so why not. Inspection did find a small corrosion hole that the sheet missed though. Lost by 10,000 yen, $95.50. That's crazy enough to make me think that there is something suspicious going on but of course I have no way of knowing at all. This is now over double the cost of every single Lite Ace that's sold in the last three months. :toot:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
THat seems shady AF but if you know anything about car auctions here in America not surprising

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

THat seems shady AF but if you know anything about car auctions here in America not surprising

There is no actual way of knowing. Losing the auction is fine, I'm out the inspection fee but that's nothing new. It's the time and effort, the anticipation, and then disappointment that's less then fun. I'm getting more used to it and I already have one of these Lite Aces that should be here next week so there isn't really a novelty sort of thing to it. The wasted time.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
When it comes to cars and money who knows man I worked in automotive a long time if you ain’t part of the game you were usually getting screwed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

everdave posted:

One of the guys on the local Subaru club got double-dealed by his own broker.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Like the main used car guy near me is a friend and I’d help him with anything but I sure as hell would t buy a car from him

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Seat Safety Switch posted:

One of the guys on the local Subaru club got double-dealed by his own broker.

Like the broker just took the car?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Like the broker just took the car?

The broker, or the broker's bidder in Japan, appears to have informed one of the other bidders what the first guy's maximum bid was so that the other bidder knew the lot was soft.

Something fishy for sure, the communication isn't very good so it might seem more suspicious than it is.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 24, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Everyone in the car business has connections, it's who you know and for how long.

For instance when i worked for a Mazda dealer when we got trade ins, every car would go down a list of people before it ever made it to auction, like friends/family of employees and even other dealerships. I got a BG 323 for $700 that way, claimed it and it was mine.

I imagine there is some sort of pecking order going on with these import auctions, there are people that have been around long enough to pretty much get any car they want and the new guys like Kaker get what's left or whatever slipped through the cracks due to not inputting info in correctly and poo poo like that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Everyone in the car business has connections, it's who you know and for how long.

For instance when i worked for a Mazda dealer when we got trade ins, every car would go down a list of people before it ever made it to auction, like friends/family of employees and even other dealerships. I got a BG 323 for $700 that way, claimed it and it was mine.

I imagine there is some sort of pecking order going on with these import auctions, there are people that have been around long enough to pretty much get any car they want and the new guys like Kaker get what's left or whatever slipped through the cracks due to not inputting info in correctly and poo poo like that.

You're right, but it's more like the guys I'm working with (Japan Car Direct) are getting shafted by the auction houses which in turn shafts me rather than me getting it directly.
Still though it could just be coincidence. Some of the other vans sold by that house tonight (ARAI Oyama VT, seem to only sell on Saturdays in Japan) were higher than usual and I did score the Hilux right at my bid limit which means I was just over someone's best, ending up being a couple hundred over their max bid.

KakerMix posted:

Finally a non-USS one of these so we can see the price if it sells.

This sold for $4520, not a bad deal at all considering the condition.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 24, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How much total after shipping and fees do you figure?

I graduated high school in 1989, jesus. Sometimes these cars just seem too drat old for the money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, this stuff is spreading

https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/d/honda-acty-japanese-donestic/6542074499.html

(1988 Acty)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

How are they regarded over there? I'm assuming they are way better in every way than any Ford/Chevy/Dodge equivalent we have in the states.

They are hugely popular with schools and retirement homes. Unkillable engines and drivetrains, there's still Coasters from the 70s putting around that are converted to mobile homes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

How much total after shipping and fees do you figure?

I graduated high school in 1989, jesus. Sometimes these cars just seem too drat old for the money.

I'd just assume a price of $7500 titled, tagged, and sitting in your driveway since the 'price + 3000 dollars' has worked out so far. This isn't exactly huge so I can't expect the shipping to be more than it would be for, say, a Lite Ace van.

A turbo diesel manual Nissan Terrano (Pathfinder to those of us in the USA) with 63k miles on it. Doesn't exactly stand out from a standard Pathfinder but people love Hardbodies!

A flawless looking Mark II Wagon (Cressida in the US). I don't have a sheet translation but it looks like they are mentioning its full backlog of maintenance records in the upper right there and I wouldn't be surprised if this is a 1 owner car. If a Crown is too big, go for this midsize :eng101:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 26, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm very curious to see what that Cressida goes for, especially with the added hype of the MCM build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That Toyota has an i6 under the hood, I am not making GBS threads you.