Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

Wait, so I can just burn a copy of Ikaruga or whatever to a CD and it will play on my Dreamcast? My Dreamcast is Japanese, if that matters.

What about the Saturn? Again, I have a Japanese version. Somehow it never occurred to me to burn games for them, maybe because I haven't actually used a CD burner in like 10 years.

If you find an ISO of Ikaruga that's formatted to fit onto a CD and don't have a last-model DC then yes, the Dreamcast has woeful copy protection that's really easy to get around and basically means you can play CD backups with no modchip. Here's an article about it: http://wololo.net/2012/11/12/sega-dreamcast-how-its-security-works-and-how-it-was-hacked/

Saturn is a different story, you either need a modchip or to flash a Pro Action Replay or similar cart with firmware that lets you play burned games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

Wait, so I can just burn a copy of Ikaruga or whatever to a CD and it will play on my Dreamcast? My Dreamcast is Japanese, if that matters.

What about the Saturn? Again, I have a Japanese version. Somehow it never occurred to me to burn games for them, maybe because I haven't actually used a CD burner in like 10 years.

Dreamcast games are a weird format, but it turns out this software called DiscJuggler could do it (and at least for Windows there's custom builds of IsoBurn which handle these files correctly). GD-ROM's hold up to 1 gig but not very many games actually go above 700ish megs, and the ones that do there are custom builds with things like lower quality assets to fit into 700 megs. Region locking isn't a thing with these copies, they'll work in anything.

The Saturn, unfortunately, uses the good copy protection format (some combination of using sectors burned CD's don't have, and having specific sectors with impossible checksums when all burners auto-generate these), so you would need some other workaround.

The late-era Dreamcasts (produced after October 2000 IIRC) apparently won't read normal CD's at all, only GD-ROM discs. Not sure how much truth there is to that, though.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
An excellent video just came across my youtube homepage today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97mQcus7wFI

This video serves as a great primer to the current state of Xbox emulation. Strong points, weak points, a summarized history, and enough information to temper expectations for the future.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
final fantasy 6 advance with the music and palette fix patches is 100% the way to play that game in 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'll still take the Woosley script over the Advance script. Same for Chrono Trigger.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Or you can just mod yours like I did

I have basically no modding skills and it looks really easy to screw up. I almost bought a pre-modded one, but the hori one is way cheaper. And it lacks hd rumble and can only be used in portable mode, but I figure I basically only play my switch in portable mode and I want it for retro stuff and retro style stuff, so I can live with the disadvantages.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'll still take the Woosley script over the Advance script. Same for Chrono Trigger.

Same

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Quick warning about the Super SD System 3: If you order one now, be prepared to wait a very, very long time. Apparently they are sending out a fixed revision in the order that people bought the original, all the way back to day-one buyers. If you order one, you'll be in line behind all of them. On the bright side, they fixed an issue with RGB output quality.

I ordered mine only to have the announcement come out a day or two later, I think. So, I've been waiting since January.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So Cyan is only fixed in the awful looking mobile/pc port?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Woolsey or bust train.

Chrono Trigger DS IS really nice though.

e: but the new dungeon blows

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

absolutely anything posted:

final fantasy 6 advance with the music and palette fix patches is 100% the way to play that game in 2018

Just slapped that and the one for FF5 on my Everdrive. Sounded good using my Gameboy Player, but would really have to do a closer comparison. Will really be interesting on a modern tv. Though the the opera scene will be interesting to see with their apparent changes there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shibawanko posted:

Well if there's a 2 in a circle on the bottom of the Dreamcast, it probably doesn't support burned discs:

That indicates version 2 of the system board, and units manufactured after mid-fall 2000 with that indicator have MIL-CD support removed, so burned discs can't fake being real discs in the easy way everyone used. Some people say that no Japanese model Dreamcasts actually had this change in support though, and most Dreamcasts out there are not manufactured like this, so nearly every Dreamcast can play the discs.

univbee posted:

Dreamcast games are a weird format, but it turns out this software called DiscJuggler could do it (and at least for Windows there's custom builds of IsoBurn which handle these files correctly). GD-ROM's hold up to 1 gig but not very many games actually go above 700ish megs, and the ones that do there are custom builds with things like lower quality assets to fit into 700 megs. Region locking isn't a thing with these copies, they'll work in anything.
The late-era Dreamcasts (produced after October 2000 IIRC) apparently won't read normal CD's at all, only GD-ROM discs. Not sure how much truth there is to that, though.

Actual Dreamcast games are burned with tighter tracks on the GD section, which is what allows them to store more data. DiscJuggler was never actually needed to store the data to burn a Dreamcast game with, because you just burn standard format CD data when you do it, but most pirate groups originally released that way plus DiscJuggler and one other program were least likely to fail to burn the discs properly back then.

These days all the pirate versions are available as standard ISO images and can be burnt with any modern CD burning software.

For the latter bit, see above. Since MIL-CD gets removed on later Dreamcasts with the 2 marking (though not all 2 marking Dreamcasts, none are recorded incompatible before November 2000 manufacture dates), you can't use the exploit to boot the game. Instead the system will only read those as audio CDs if there's normal audio tracks on them.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

Just slapped that and the one for FF5 on my Everdrive. Sounded good using my Gameboy Player, but would really have to do a closer comparison. Will really be interesting on a modern tv. Though the the opera scene will be interesting to see with their apparent changes there.

the latest release of the music patch only has the mp3 opera scene as an optional patch for the european version, which is good because that sucked and was the only thing holding me back from wholeheartedly recommending it for a while

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

quote:

Pcengine talk

I just ordered the super sd system 3 yesterday so in a few years when it arrives I’ll do an effort post about it. Looking at their videos it looks like they fixed the noise problems with the framemeister so I’m optimistic. I’m really happy with how transparent they’ve been.

quote:

Chrono Trigger talk

DS Chrono Trigger is pretty good but ultimately that game is only good for the first few hours. I know it’s a bad hot take but I really think it’s over rated.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

the latest release of the music patch only has the mp3 opera scene as an optional patch for the european version, which is good because that sucked and was the only thing holding me back from wholeheartedly recommending it for a while

Hmm, may look into that then. I just grabbed a pre-patched version off of some sight called FantasyAnime since I have an unreasonable dislike for applying patches to roms myself, haha. And their notes on the individual sound patch said it includes the opera voices and was for the (U) rom.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Woolsey did a great job

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm thinking that if I get it I could be sacrilegious and put the board in my Super Famicom cart shell while playing it.

I have my copies of Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island swapped into their respective SFC shells. They look much cooler and it was WAY cheaper to just buy the SFC versions and shall swap them than buying a converter to play SNES carts on my SFC.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

worthless. posted:

DS Chrono Trigger is pretty good but ultimately that game is only good for the first few hours.

get hosed

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

d0s posted:

I disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i mean i personally prefer the original because i'm a brokebrain and always prefer the original everything but ff6 gba is the most feature rich release of that game and with the fixes it's also the most uncompromised from the original, all you're really sacrificing is some resolution and audio clarity because of the hardware. i'm not as attached to the woolsey script in ff6 as i am to the one in chrono trigger, like there's a couple of funny lines but whatever. also the new stuff they added in ff6 gba isn't a complete trash fire like all the new stuff they added in chrono trigger ds

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The new content in Chrono Trigger all sucks, but it's 100% optional at least. Easily considered a non-entity.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

d0s posted:

get hosed

I mean the beginning is like... really good. It really puts its best foot forward but the rest just feels like a slog of battles. I know most of them are avoidable but still it feels like that’s mostly what they relied on, as opposed to the beginning in which there’s just a ton of seemingly arbitrary decisions deciding the outcome of the trial. Which is awesome. After that most of the options fall by the wayside, except a few to decide the ending.

It’s not a bad game by any stretch but I don’t really like it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Outside of RTC sync problems, are there any issues with transferring a rom between an R4 and a PC emulator so you can play on your PC (connected to a TV) and then transfer to a R4 or other DS flash cart to play on the go? Is it just a drag and drop kind of thing?

I'm a little wrapped up in the whole portable + TV thing lately and ChronoTrigger DS talk piqued my interest. I figured emulator to DS flash cart would be the best route since a hacked WiiU requires some weird rom conversion to play DS roms not from the eshop, those 3DS capture cards are sketchy quality now that the one person stopped doing them, and the wireless streaming from a CFW N3DS doesn't work for DS games (and a bit laggy apparently). I would much prefer to use my actual CT DS cart on the TV, but no good options there.

Maybe once it is legal to do so, there will be some retron that plays DS games and uses your phone as a touch screen (or just can't play touch screen games). But I doubt there will be too much demand there.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 23, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

worthless. posted:

I mean the beginning is like... really good. It really puts its best foot forward but the rest just feels like a slog of battles. I know most of them are avoidable but still it feels like that’s mostly what they relied on, as opposed to the beginning in which there’s just a ton of seemingly arbitrary decisions deciding the outcome of the trial. Which is awesome. After that most of the options fall by the wayside, except a few to decide the ending.

What the gently caress

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The battles in CT go really fast and it’s a super briskly paced game and way short for a JRPG. That’s one of the most cursed opinions I’ve ever seen

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

CT is like the best paced/planned out JRPG I have ever played, and I have a really low tolerance for bad RPG stuff. it's a nearly perfect game and one of the few things where I 100% agree with every single breathless hypepost about it

on another note,

glad to finally have a working CPS2 board after my gigawing fiasco

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Djarum posted:

I have my copies of Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island swapped into their respective SFC shells. They look much cooler and it was WAY cheaper to just buy the SFC versions and shall swap them than buying a converter to play SNES carts on my SFC.

I was thinking of getting a Super UFO to use as a converter, but I hesitated a bit too long because my giant lot of Y!Auctions SFCs haven't arrived yet, and Amazon hiked the price $20.

They're supposed to be really cheap on eBay for Americans, though - like $40, I've heard. I wonder if it works with the wide-pin cartridges like Yoshi though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FireMrshlBill posted:

Outside of RTC sync problems, are there any issues with transferring a rom between an R4 and a PC emulator so you can play on your PC (connected to a TV) and then transfer to a R4 or other DS flash cart to play on the go? Is it just a drag and drop kind of thing?

The modern flashcarts all use the same sort of save file format that modern PC emulators use, so it's fine. Just make sure your save filenames match up with the name of the ROM and go in the right location for your particular card and you're good.

edit: And when I say modern cards, I mean the ones that can just work right in the DS slot out of the box, as opposed to the older designs that needed a matching GBA slot card to do anything, or the ones that required you to modify the DS firmware to make them boot. So your R4 almost certainly counts.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 23, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

worthless. posted:

DS Chrono Trigger is pretty good but ultimately that game is only good for the first few hours. I know it’s a bad hot take but I really think it’s over rated.

:negative:

this pains me physically

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's the one RPG that doesn't waste the player's time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think what exacerbates it in people's minds is that a scripted battle freezes your party in place while enemies do a little animation. I've timed it (for the sake of winning pointless internet arguments) and the average battle in Chrono Trigger, from start to finish, takes about the same time as the average FF6 battle (and they're less frequent too) but Final Fantasy's screen transition is like a mental breather while Chrono Trigger is like a cutscene interrupting you.

When revisiting Chrono Cross I was surprised that it takes like 30 seconds just to start a battle but if you're immersed in the game it hardly feels like any time wasted.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

al-azad posted:

I think what exacerbates it in people's minds is that a scripted battle freezes your party in place while enemies do a little animation. I've timed it (for the sake of winning pointless internet arguments) and the average battle in Chrono Trigger, from start to finish, takes about the same time as the average FF6 battle (and they're less frequent too) but Final Fantasy's screen transition is like a mental breather while Chrono Trigger is like a cutscene interrupting you.

When revisiting Chrono Cross I was surprised that it takes like 30 seconds just to start a battle but if you're immersed in the game it hardly feels like any time wasted.

This is insanity to me. I find the exact opposite. To me the transition in the FF games where the screen smashes and you shift over to a completely different space and THEN you do battle is really stilted and breaks the flow, while in CT you just walk right up to a guy and bam you're fighting him right then and there on that same ground. Also you can avoid encounters in CT while in FF you have ~random encounters~.

Lots of people seem to think the scripted encounters in CT are worse than random encounters. those people are wrong

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PlayStation era RPGs were real bad about long battle animations too. Gotta show off this new 3D technology! Use that GF five times this battle. Why yes, the timer on this time sensitive test is still going.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I love Chrono Trigger, it’s one of the only rpgs that’s always a joy to play it, the story keeps moving, there’s a good variety of places to explore, and best of all, I’ve never had to grind in it.

Btw I like Cross a lot as well, though it’s a much more flawed work than Trigger. It’s got such a bright and colorful world to show you, also a fantastic soundtrack.

P.S. Radical Dreamers owns. Every Chrono is good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

PlayStation era RPGs were real bad about long battle animations too. Gotta show off this new 3D technology! Use that GF five times this battle. Why yes, the timer on this time sensitive test is still going.

Knights of the Round

Okay just gonna put down the controller and go use the bathroom

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.behance.net/gallery/63535513/300-Super-Nintendo-Logos-Fully-Remastered

:stare: Holy balls this is gorgeous

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It'd be great to have those in an emulator launcher interface.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

fishmech posted:

These days all the pirate versions are available as standard ISO images and can be burnt with any modern CD burning software.

Currently supported versions of Windows have built-in ISO burning. Assuming no other program has a file association with .iso (I had to uncheck it in 7zip), you just right-click the file and "burn to disc".

I would not recommend using those free CD burning programs (such as ImgBurn), as they likely contain spyware/adware. OpenCandy I think it's called?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

fishmech posted:

The modern flashcarts all use the same sort of save file format that modern PC emulators use, so it's fine. Just make sure your save filenames match up with the name of the ROM and go in the right location for your particular card and you're good.

edit: And when I say modern cards, I mean the ones that can just work right in the DS slot out of the box, as opposed to the older designs that needed a matching GBA slot card to do anything, or the ones that required you to modify the DS firmware to make them boot. So your R4 almost certainly counts.

Haha, thanks for the clarification. I haven't had an r4 in a decade, but was looking to grab one and when I saw your first comment, I thought I was going to have to grab a DStwo or something even though I have no plans to CFW my 3DS and would buy another 3DS for CFW if I went that route.

So I'll look for a R4 or other slightly older one for DS only since I play DS games on a DSi XL.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I was thinking of getting a Super UFO to use as a converter, but I hesitated a bit too long because my giant lot of Y!Auctions SFCs haven't arrived yet, and Amazon hiked the price $20.

They're supposed to be really cheap on eBay for Americans, though - like $40, I've heard. I wonder if it works with the wide-pin cartridges like Yoshi though.

Better idea would be to get something like this. You shouldn't have a issue with anything.

If you are like me and have a SD2SNES and own the few games that aren't supported it is honestly WAY cheaper to just grab the Japanese carts and shell swap. It cost me like 8 bucks shipped for Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

worthless. posted:

I love Chrono Trigger but there's a few parts where I get a bit bored, the BC part is not my favorite for example. The game peaks at the beginning and in Zeal just because Zeal owns so much.

But I generally have a low tolerance for turn based battles, and never played CT as a kid, I also wouldn't say the game never wastes your time, the battles don't go lightning fast and the combat isn't super interesting. I appreciate FF6 too for the characters and story but actually playing it feels like a chore to me honestly, at least as an adult. I much prefer action RPG's like Zelda or Terranigma or Soulblazer or something.

I want to experiment by putting Jet Set Radio on a CD and running it on my dreamcast, but the rom is in .cdi format. Can I just rename it to .iso or something and burn normally, or do I really need a third party program (which, for reasons people have already said, I don't trust).

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 23, 2018