Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, having your superhero name contain your actual, real name kind of defeats the purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spider-Gwen was never her actual superhero name though, just the name of her book (as well as how most readers referred to her).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It was her name in the current cartoon for the Spider-Island arc, since she decided that being a public-face hero was the obvious best choice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Arist posted:

Spider-Gwen was never her actual superhero name though, just the name of her book (as well as how most readers referred to her).

And it's still dumb. They didn't rename Captain America's book to Bucky-Cap when he was holding the shield, even though that's what everyone online called him.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

drrockso20 posted:

got some new details and pics relating to Marvel's new animated project Marvel Rising

It's neat how every character looks like they're drawn over the same base model, I guess

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What? There’s a pretty wide range of body types there.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nodosaur posted:

What? There’s a pretty wide range of body types there.

Agreed, Squirrel Girl for example is kinda beefy by animated female superhero standards(which is faithful to how Erica Henderson draws her in Unbeatable Squirrel Girl*)

Also interesting that two of the characters are being voiced by the actors who play their MCU versions(Squirrel Girl^ and Quake to be specific)

*I've expressed my issues with her art elsewhere, but her drawing women with a wide variety of body types is one of the things I do find admirable about her art philosophy

^Well technically New Warriors hasn't come out yet, but I doubt they are going to recast her

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

got some new details and pics relating to Marvel's new animated project Marvel Rising

Not really digging this. Something just feels off about it all design wise. Poor Lockjaw looks like he accidentally teleported to space before being drawn.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The coloring is very flat, the pose is kind of lifeless (double for facial experssions), and it's in a style that calls to mind limited range flashlike animation like what that Avengers series had. I dont terribly mind the designs , save for patriot, but I can see where the hesitation sets in.

Space Doggo is odd because he looks kind of cartoony with the big eyes and poo poo.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Looks okay for a TV show, but pretty disappointing considering Marvel Rising is supposed to be a feature film--or maybe this is just how they'll look in the shorts? Or maybe it'll just look really fluid in motion?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

The coloring is very flat, the pose is kind of lifeless (double for facial experssions), and it's in a style that calls to mind limited range flashlike animation like what that Avengers series had. I dont terribly mind the designs , save for patriot, but I can see where the hesitation sets in.

Space Doggo is odd because he looks kind of cartoony with the big eyes and poo poo.

The posing is the same kind of stock posing they do for character model art. It's not meant to appear lively, it's to provide a baseline for people working on the show to follow.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah not many cartoons look good from the early promo art, just look at how bad it was for the first Teen Titans series for example

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

The posing is the same kind of stock posing they do for character model art. It's not meant to appear lively, it's to provide a baseline for people working on the show to follow.
Yeah, it just looks like they pulled art from the model sheet turnarounds and colored them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think it might just actually be a scale guide for the main characters.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I haven't really dug any of the visual styles for new superhero cartoons in a while. They're all mostly just trying to be nonspecifically exciting without really making any big interesting design choices.

I guess when you get into the series and get hooked in by the plot or characters, it probably feels fine, but most of the pictures I see kinda seem bland and uninteresting.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
You put a pouch on a sash? Get your poo poo together, Carol.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

side_burned posted:

After the 80's did regulation tighten up again about having programing that marketed products directly to children? It doesn't seem like cartoons hocking toys to the 5-10 crowd is a thing anymore and certainly not to the extent that it was done in the Regan years.

Edit: I did bitch about how the toy line for the Netflix Voltron series came out in March and not in time for Christmas. :mad:

This question from another thread interested me so I went looking for an answer. I couldn't find one, but I did find this funny-in-hindsight article that took the launch of The Hub as an omen that cartoons were going back to being glorified toy commercials. But it is an interesting question. Why are merchandise-driven shows less prominent today than they used to be?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

drrockso20 posted:

Cobsidering how avsolutely lame most of these characters are and how terribly they sold, I'm willing to bet money this'll be a very boring and will only get a single season.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Cobsidering how avsolutely lame most of these characters are and how terribly they sold, I'm willing to bet money this'll be a very boring and will only get a single season.

It's a feature film.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pakled posted:

This question from another thread interested me so I went looking for an answer. I couldn't find one, but I did find this funny-in-hindsight article that took the launch of The Hub as an omen that cartoons were going back to being glorified toy commercials. But it is an interesting question. Why are merchandise-driven shows less prominent today than they used to be?

I would wager a lot of it is people who grew up with cartoons and actually respect them as a medium coming into positions of creative power.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Waffleman_ posted:

I would wager a lot of it is people who grew up with cartoons and actually respect them as a medium coming into positions of creative power.

Yeah, people like Rebecca Sugar are making cartoons with messages like people used to, but instead of moralising garbage her intended message to children of personality/mental health types that aren't considered the "default" (by which I mean gay/trans/non-binary kids that don't quite know what's going on with themselves besides some kind of discomfort and aren't being talked to by their parents about it. I didn't want to use the term "normal" because that otherises people) is "You exist, and that's awesome. Be happy in who you are, and don't let anyone drag you down." It's the kind of thing she always wanted to see in shows herself.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The internet has also made it a lot more trivial to advertise to kids. Especially products that don't have a physical component like IAPs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's video games and movies that are reaching bigger audiences and selling piles of merchandise now. Game stores are basically turning into game merchandise stores.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Finally got to see the 'Dark Owl' episode of Miraculous in English rather than subbed, and it's even better! Having this dorky joke of a minor annoyance for Ladybug and Cat Noir turn into their most dangerous enemy so far is great, and the production team pulled out all the stops to make the action (and even the music) genuinely exciting. I think the only trick they missed was not having Dark Owl put on a ridiculous Batman growly voice.

(I'm also going to have to check back to see if his office always had those owl pictures, because if it did that's some drat good foreshadowing by the creators.)

EDIT: holy crap, they actually did have the owl pictures there all along in season 1. I'm even more impressed!

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 25, 2018

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pakled posted:

It's kind of hilarious that MLP had the hardest time getting screen accurate merch.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Those hips on America Chavez...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Beachcomber posted:

It's kind of hilarious that MLP had the hardest time getting screen accurate merch.

I can't speak for MLP but Steven Universe sure gets just absolutely dogshit merch and it's kind of baffling. It's either really ugly and half assed or loving Pop figures.

Or like these what the gently caress are these:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macaluso posted:

I can't speak for MLP but Steven Universe sure gets just absolutely dogshit merch and it's kind of baffling. It's either really ugly and half assed or loving Pop figures.

All I want to do
Is see you turn into
A COLLECTABLE WIGGLE FIGURE
(wiggle figure)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Macaluso posted:

It appears that they wobble but don’t fall down. If only there were a name for that.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Pakled posted:

I clicked through the Hub tag on that page and boy is this a loving time capsule or what

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Honestly, Greg, Steven and Amethyst kinda work.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

There are still plenty of toy lines that advertise to kids, but a lot of them make cheaper animated videos that are viewed mainly on the internet. Toys like Monster High, Super Hero Girls, and Shopkins to name a few have their own series of shorts with the occasional longer movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The more recent ones at least tend to be a little funny, like Monster High has a funny gimmick character with the Ghoul who can't speak (only grunts like a zombie), so everyone thinks she's stupid but she's surprisingly shrewd.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Benne posted:

I clicked through the Hub tag on that page and boy is this a loving time capsule or what

They set some kind of land speed record distancing themselves from whichever ad studio was pushing that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As with the Young Justice situation, I think toy companies are super goddamn leery of marketing anything to a significantly female audience that doesn't have pink and frills slapped all over it. (and there's only so much Rose Quartz merch they can justify) Even MLP had to make a pink princess just so the white princess can get show accurate merchandise, because they would refuse to sufficiently stock a line where the centrepiece pony isn't pink.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inescapable Duck posted:

As with the Young Justice situation, I think toy companies are super goddamn leery of marketing anything to a significantly female audience that doesn't have pink and frills slapped all over it. (and there's only so much Rose Quartz merch they can justify) Even MLP had to make a pink princess just so the white princess can get show accurate merchandise, because they would refuse to sufficiently stock a line where the centrepiece pony isn't pink.

Meanwhile my daughters favorite TV show is Teen Titans Go and her favorite characters are Cyborg (because of “Night Begins To Shine”) and Batman (she likes his giggle). We were surprised to find a lack of TTG merch at Target—the best they had were some shoddily made Amiibo-style figurines that she destroyed almost immediately after we gave them to her.

To be fair, she’s a little younger than the target audience.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

lelandjs posted:

Meanwhile my daughters favorite TV show is Teen Titans Go and her favorite characters are Cyborg (because of “Night Begins To Shine”) and Batman (she likes his giggle). We were surprised to find a lack of TTG merch at Target—the best they had were some shoddily made Amiibo-style figurines that she destroyed almost immediately after we gave them to her.

To be fair, she’s a little younger than the target audience.

I think they make some plushes, should try and find them on Amazon or something

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

drrockso20 posted:

I think they make some plushes, should try and find them on Amazon or something

Yeah, she's got a Cyborg plushie. It's one of the three toys she brings with her for bedtime (Elmo and Abby from Sesame Street are the other two).

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Nick has fired Dan Schneider: http://deadline.com/2018/03/nickelodeon-tv-series-producer-dan-schneider-part-ways-1202353698/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That explains this then

https://twitter.com/danwarp/status/235572363494842368?s=21