Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What hitch is that? I have a SeaSucker mount that I haven't used yet.

Test drive report -- shift effort is high, but access to all the gears is there and distinct. Only shifter I've used with more effort was the short shifter on my SVT Focus.
Timing the shifter with the clutch is now much easier, making heel-toe less tricky. Though that might also come from being able to hear the motor through the exhaust better.

Just approaching the car, you can tell the fronts have much less camber than the rear:

Gotta be something with suspension height, but rears are at almost -3, and shop couldn't get even -1 up front.
https://i.imgur.com/05MGycR.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Yo that rear toe seems a little wacky. Is this a shop that knows Porsches or no?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Good god, that's a terrible alignment.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

Yo that rear toe seems a little wacky. Is this a shop that knows Porsches or no?

There's gotta be a lowering spring or something for the rear camber to be off by so much, right?
I tried to find even one factory 996 suspension online, but couldn't turn one up. Does anyone have one? Also, I just now see that they used the 4S alignment, though I don't even know if that's different.

e: it's just Firestone where I had my tires swapped. It's lifetime so at least I can have them dial in something different if the C2 numbers are significantly different.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DevCore posted:

Who says you can't go on a morning cyclocross ride:

Daddy likey

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

kimbo305 posted:

There's gotta be a lowering spring or something for the rear camber to be off by so much, right?
I tried to find even one factory 996 suspension online, but couldn't turn one up. Does anyone have one? Also, I just now see that they used the 4S alignment, though I don't even know if that's different.

e: it's just Firestone where I had my tires swapped. It's lifetime so at least I can have them dial in something different if the C2 numbers are significantly different.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-996-997-Carrera/58-SUSPEN-Aligment_in_your_Carrera/58-SUSPEN-Aligment_in_your_Carrera.htm

Looks like dropping the car an inch takes the stock suspension out of range for at least toe, maybe camber. If it's on lowering springs I bet you need to modify some other bits. Then take it to a shop that knows Porsches; not just for the knowledge but because they'll give a poo poo, most drivers don't pay attention to this sort of thing so "good enough" is gold medal worthy for most alignment shops, where it will be noticeably poo poo for you.

Edit: I had one shop set toe incorrectly on my '82 911SC then say "oh well I think you'll like it better this way" when I pointed it out. As if having positive toe in the rear end was going to somehow be what I wanted in an rear end-engined car. They actually complained when I made them take it back in to fix it, too. And this was from someone that actually knew how to change toe on a trailing arm, torsion bar setup. It only goes to the shop for Porsche race cars now. (Autometrics in Charleston, SC. So so good)

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 12, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, I found that one earlier. For the kind of info that Pelican usually has, I'm surprised it doesn't have specific ranges or guidance on how much the camber will change under the various popular lowering kits. I guess it's hard when it has to cover all models at once.
The advice of "more negative camber the more you track it" seems pretty simplistic. But then again, maybe the Porsche guys who do track their cars are already very particular.

quote:

Looks like dropping the car an inch takes the stock suspension out of range for at least toe, maybe camber. If it's on lowering springs I bet you need to modify some other bits. Then take it to a shop that knows Porsches; not just for the knowledge but because they'll give a poo poo, most drivers don't pay attention to this sort of thing so "good enough" is gold medal worthy for most alignment shops, where it will be noticeably poo poo for you.

If I keep this car long term, I'll probably research aftermarket suspension and pick one that doesn't lower the car as much in the rear.
For that work, I definitely have a serious shop. Not Porsche specific, but all the mechanics run on the track and know that their customers care about that.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

DevCore posted:

Who says you can't go on a morning cyclocross ride:

This is the best thing I've seen in weeks.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There's a '94 Turbo S Flachbau up on BaT. It's at $305k already.

It has over 162,000 miles...

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
It amazes me how much more the pre-996 911s generally go for anyway compared to the 996 models. Even taking into account the switch from natural aspiration, IMS potential to fail, or the fried egg headlamps.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ibntumart posted:

Even taking into account the switch from natural aspiration, IMS potential to fail, or the fried egg headlamps.

Are you talking about the later headlamp shape + turbo models?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think he meant to say air-cooled. 911s (especially long hood) and 993s go for pretty stupid money. 964s (3.6 turbo excepted) don't seem to be that bad quite yet. Prices on 996 seem to be going up, though.

This price just seems stupid to me. I suspect that is even more than what this 997 Turbo will be asking.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Prices on 996 seem to be going up, though.

Yeah, I think below 20k on a decent 996 with IMS replaced is now a good deal.
Any special packages will still find a few weirdo fanboys who'll pay a lot extra, like the C4s aero kit.

996 GT3s and early 997 Turbos are both 60-70k now. I dunno which way I'd go. I don't drive enough to really benefit from the extra practicality of the 997.

Toe Rag posted:

993s go for pretty stupid money. 964s (3.6 turbo excepted) don't seem to be that bad quite yet.

I think 993s have cornered the 90s aircooled market. The 964 looks a little more classic to me, and you can argue which one drives more like a 911.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

fknlo posted:

It has over 162,000 miles...
Good. Maybe we’ll finally have a generation of collectors that actually drive their drat cars from time to time.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, I think below 20k on a decent 996 with IMS replaced is now a good deal.
Any special packages will still find a few weirdo fanboys who'll pay a lot extra, like the C4s aero kit.

996 GT3s and early 997 Turbos are both 60-70k now. I dunno which way I'd go. I don't drive enough to really benefit from the extra practicality of the 997.

I think 993s have cornered the 90s aircooled market. The 964 looks a little more classic to me, and you can argue which one drives more like a 911.

997 Turbos/996 GT3s haven't really ever fallen that much.

It's tempting to swap out my Cayman for an aircooled 911 as it seems as if prices have gotten less crazy over the past year or two.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

997 Turbos/996 GT3s haven't really ever fallen that much.

I saw the 996 GT3s dip below 40k a few years ago, but they came back the fastest once people realized that 996s on the whole were a deal.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I saw that too, and I was hoping they'd stay there long enough for me to snag one

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

So I only heard of this a couple days ago and am... intrigued

So far my 987 has been bone stock and only for that reason (as we all would pause) I'm a bit hesitant.

http://www.hip-designllc.com/index_product1.html

These look like the guys who make it, there's the installation guide there but it's all pretty straight forward

Thoughts? Tacky? I think I'm looking to be talked out of it but it's kinda novel in the right ways...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm out at $650. Maybe at 300.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Yeah, had the same thought, did see traces of used & refurbished floating about but not for much cheaper

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Counterpoint, That's super sick and you should get it if you can afford it.

Whats it look like stock?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I absolutely love those sorts of windows, $650 is a bit much but everything to do with P cars seems to be priced at $stupid, so I vote go for it.

I wonder how easy it'll be to keep clean from the engine side and how it affects cabin noise. The factory piece has some decently thick sound deadening there, at least on the boxster.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Part of the appeal has to be increase engine sound, right? I think 650 would be worth it if they provided a replacement for that plastic silver trim behind it, which distracts from the motor.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Yeah, my initial thought was straight up how hard it was to keep clean, and if I'd have to keep the visible part of the engine superficially clean as well... ie am I making more work for myself? So far at 2 - 1 I'm leaning in, haha.

And re: cabin engine noise, on any other car it would be a minus but you so rarely travel with passengers in P cars anyhow and it is really quiet, but then my last car had a really loud turboback swap so what do I know about refinement I suppose

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Anyone know why Caymans are a premium over the equivalent Boxster? Are they not just the same car with a fixed roof?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

willie_dee posted:

Anyone know why Caymans are a premium over the equivalent Boxster? Are they not just the same car with a fixed roof?

Because a roadster is a much harder sell, and they still have girl car stigma.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boxsters have a bit more flex and might not be trackable with some organizations, so are arguably less sporting. But for the kinds of discount I was seeing, it's not worth it unless you go to more than a few track days a year.

e: if anyone is looking for a cheap Boxster, my 04 S that had a rebuilt title is going on sale in FL soon. No IMS fix, but the rest of the car is very clean after the rebuild. Probably the cheapest Boxster S you could get.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

iwentdoodie posted:

Because a roadster is a much harder sell, and they still have girl car stigma.

Do you mean Boxsters or convertibles/roadsters/spyders in general? I thought that bit of idiocy had died out.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I've been looking at 911's and the verts are always cheaper, even though they are a lot more new. A drop top is more of a toy and you can more easily daily a hardtop.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think on the case of the 911, the Cabrio is a lot uglier than the coupe. They sorta fix it in the 991, but not 100%.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the big old hump from having the engine back there really gives them an unbalanced boat look when the top's down while the profile also loses a lot of the 911-ness with the top up. I test drove a couple cabs and they were really fun with the top down though and I'd definitely consider one if I was planning to only drive in nice weather.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ibntumart posted:

Do you mean Boxsters or convertibles/roadsters/spyders in general? I thought that bit of idiocy had died out.

Boxsters. Although any small convertible is still going to have the same stigma attached.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

iwentdoodie posted:

Boxsters. Although any small convertible is still going to have the same stigma attached.

I'm not convinced this stigma still exists, at least for the 987 and later generations.

The 986 was kinda dinged by the legally blond movies but even that stigma has died out by now.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

iwentdoodie posted:

That’s what I meant. I didn’t know that there was still a stigma in general against guys driving convertibles. I know there was one when I was growing up, but even then it didn’t seem that strong. Certainly there’s no shortage of guys in Boxsters or other sporty convertibles around here when the weather allows for it.

Never really got the stigma. I mean, if it’s sunny and warm, and you’re into the wind rushing by you, why would anyone care?

All that said, for some reason I really don’t like the look of the Boxster. I love the Cayman’s look in every model, I love Targa 911s (and almost bought a 996 version a couple of months ago), and I think a 911 Cabriolet looks fine. Just Boxsters that disappoint me.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

thechalkoutline posted:

Yeah, my initial thought was straight up how hard it was to keep clean, and if I'd have to keep the visible part of the engine superficially clean as well... ie am I making more work for myself? So far at 2 - 1 I'm leaning in, haha.

And re: cabin engine noise, on any other car it would be a minus but you so rarely travel with passengers in P cars anyhow and it is really quiet, but then my last car had a really loud turboback swap so what do I know about refinement I suppose

I seriously considered it on my 987 but decided not to in the end. People on other forums said it changes the character of the sound - less growly and more zingy if that makes any sense. The dust thing is also apparently a real issue if you're OCD and I am rather. I went off spectacularly at Buttonwillow once and had clouds of fine dust just pouring in everywhere and had a fit about the state of mein full leather interior. Can't imagine what it would have been like with a transparent cover installed

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

got off on a technicality posted:

I went off spectacularly at Buttonwillow once and had clouds of fine dust just pouring in everywhere and had a fit about the state of mein full leather interior. Can't imagine what it would have been like with a transparent cover installed

More incentive not to go off track then :colbert:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
So I'm really torn between a cheapo 996 for 15-20k, a cheapo 997.1 for under 30, or just going whole hog and getting a 997.2 for 40.

However I noticed that Macan S's are right around 30-35 with 50-70k miles. I keep hearing they are just a rally hatchback and super fun. PDK only seems like a big drawback but just so much more practical than a 911...

I'll hit up a porsche dealer this weekend and drive some stuff and report back.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Whole Hog 997.2 for $40 is my vote, in fact, tell me where this because I'd like to buy one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

got off on a technicality posted:

I seriously considered it on my 987 but decided not to in the end. People on other forums said it changes the character of the sound - less growly and more zingy if that makes any sense.
Yeah, I think the zing is the unfiltered intake and engine combustion sounds, which I identify with BMWs.
I found both the stock 986 and 996 exhausts too quiet, revealing the zing at higher RPMs. The gundo hack mercifully reverses that.

Voltage posted:

So I'm really torn between a cheapo 996 for 15-20k, a cheapo 997.1 for under 30, or just going whole hog and getting a 997.2 for 40.

Whatever you can comfortably afford, get that. If you care about the styling, the 996 is a disappointment on the inside. It's very locked in the 90s.
That said, I'd rather have a 20k 996 and another car instead of one 997.2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The 996 also got advice from Toyota on how to build a car for less than $70k bucks so as not to go bankrupt. Then Porsche discovered they could sell SUVs to dumb Americans and all was saved.