Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Caganer posted:

I didn’t do many sober elevator rides :shrug:

Neither has Dan Harmon..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hmm, yeah it’s pretty surprising that a show that frequently highlights the existential horror of being creative would be piloted by a manic-depressive alcoholic that many find difficult to work with.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Android Blues posted:

Dan Harmon seems to constantly vacillate between "extremely self-important" and "extremely self-hating" with occasional, eclipse-like intersections into "extremely self-important and extremely self-hating".

Narcissism at it's heart is due to to profound lack of self esteem, hth

boo_radley posted:

Neither has Dan Harmon..

I'd love to see an "Idiot Abroad" style show where they send Dan Harmon around the world... :allears:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The problem with the Internet and creative types is that their best ideas usually come after a period of refinement and bouncing them off other people for feedback.

Instead we get Twitter with its think-a-thought-and-broadcast-worldwide button and we see a whole shitload of first draft ideas that should have died before they were shared with the entire world.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

WampaLord posted:

The problem with the Internet and creative types is that their best ideas usually come after a period of refinement and bouncing them off other people for feedback.

Instead we get Twitter with its think-a-thought-and-broadcast-worldwide button and we see a whole shitload of first draft ideas that should have died before they were shared with the entire world.

Luckily Rick & Morty is written in a writer’s room at a studio and not on Twitter before it’s sent off to be animated

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bust Rodd posted:

Luckily Rick & Morty is written in a writer’s room at a studio and not on Twitter before it’s sent off to be animated

Some of the commentary tracks are on Youtube, and they're great to listen to. They put a lot of thought and effort into writing this stuff.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bust Rodd posted:

omg i know how they write twd now!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

prefect posted:

They announced it would be cancelled after they'd already started airing episodes with the new intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx-zJqwrLZk

I thought it was the other way around and the "Forever" season title was a joke playing off that.

Servaetes posted:

They sounded completely crestfallen and confused:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/zngnja/aqua-teen-hunger-force-forever-is-the-end-of-an-era-111

Lazzo basically killed it for reasons unknown. He killed Cartoon Planet/Space Ghost Coast to Coast along with the other shows mentioned. Eric Andre asked him why he ended it and his response was "Space Ghost is dead to me." Dude makes some weird rear end decisions.

But he does keep Squidbillies alive, and that is a treasure that people really ought to appreciate more and more imho

Was The Brak Show axed in the same way as CP/SGC2C? I remember they "announced" the cancellation in the last seconds of what turned out to be the final episode.

The series finale of ATHF was sort of depressing, so I'm glad they gave us one last swerve by releasing the actual finale (in turn, one more final, last episode) online.

Squidbillies rules but even then they've dented it with making Tammy more of a fixture. Every episode she's in involves some sort of "IF YOU DO THIS THEN I AIN'T A'STAYIN'" subplot. I think she's supposed to be Rusty's moral compass and it just misses.

I love how much Cheyenne Cinnamon is embedded in episodes which ran around the time that show never actually happened.

Slightly Absurd posted:

As much as I love SG:C2C, I can't really blame Lazzo for that one. By the time of [as], it was pretty hit or miss [though those hits are some of the best loving episodes]

Space Ghost was for the most part better when it was still trying to push the boundaries of what they could get away with on Cartoon Network. When they were free to do what they wanted, it lost a bit of its charm.

The last season or two of SGC2C has some of the most off the wall moments in the entire run . Flipmode may be my favorite [as] episode ever and Kentucky Nightmare, Justice Hole, and Knifin' Around are also really good out of that 2001 season.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 23, 2018

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The only way we're ever getting a fourth season is if someone creates an alternate version of Twitter where people are only allowed to say nice and witty things to Dan Harmon.

The man has been sperging for three days straight now dictating exactly what sort of interactions non-celebs are allowed to have with him, because he has important things to say about making GBS threads his pants and loving real dolls while the rest of us are just plebs. And really, I'm not exaggerating at all.

Did he Warn us with Peace and Love?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The only way we're ever getting a fourth season is if someone creates an alternate version of Twitter where people are only allowed to say nice and witty things to Dan Harmon.

The man has been sperging for three days straight now dictating exactly what sort of interactions non-celebs are allowed to have with him, because he has important things to say about making GBS threads his pants and loving real dolls while the rest of us are just plebs. And really, I'm not exaggerating at all.

To be fair, how he uses social media is his own business, and it's not like he's under some sort of obligation to be nice and friendly in the comment cesspool that is twitter. And you're under no obligation to follow him.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He can do whatever the gently caress he wants, following that standard it's also fair to post about it here.

The man is having a glorious meltdown and that's something these forums are known to appreciate.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

No duh, I'm talking about Twitter, not the show's writing. I'm saying creatives are better when they have a writer's room and not just instantly sending their first thoughts into the Twitter ether.

This is why you see so many stupid meltdowns/arguments coming from creatives on Twitter, including Misters Harmond and Roiland.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

emanresu tnuocca posted:

He can do whatever the gently caress he wants, following that standard it's also fair to post about it here.

The man is having a glorious meltdown and that's something these forums are known to appreciate.

lmfao this is his pinned tweet

https://twitter.com/danharmon/status/972040961009201153

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ashpanash posted:

To be fair, how he uses social media is his own business, and it's not like he's under some sort of obligation to be nice and friendly in the comment cesspool that is twitter. And you're under no obligation to follow him.

Yeah, I find that twitter (and all social media in general) is pretty depressing and aggravating already, and that is without a few million 15-45 year old neckbeards trying to @ me with their insults and sick burns showing how they can get one up on a Twitteratti celeb. :shrug:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Ugh...someone link some tweets because his twitter reply feed is all bullshit about some fairy game and I am not digging through 200 tweets of that...

:thumbsup:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol why does blocking matter when you can read tweets without being logged in

seems like an inconvenience more than anything else

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol why does blocking matter when you can read tweets without being logged in

seems like an inconvenience more than anything else

Blocking goes both ways. In turn, it means he doesn’t have to read whatever mindless drivel you’re yelling about.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://screenrant.com/rick-morty-season-4-delay-renewed/amp/

Dan Harmon posted:

The reason we’re not working on Rick and Morty right now ain’t because I figured out that I don’t need to impress you. It’s because of a little something called contract negotiations and it’s gotten complicated this time around.”

Dan Harmon posted:

By the way, nobody you “go against” will change anything. No side you pick will matter. Nobody is unaware of the show’s impact or financial value. No amount of picket signs or hashtags or tantrums will “awaken” anyone to jack poo poo. Suits gonna suit. The rest of us gonna wait.

Basically Season 4 is definitely happenning, Dan Harmon and TWC are just both playing hardball over cash now and the result is people like Typical getting left in the dust until everyone is satisfied.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Typical should make his own show :ssh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

kloa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Qvpti1dS1KKC7PLyLl__g

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Basically X Show is definitely happening, __________ and ________ are just both playing hardball over cash now and the result is Artists getting left in the dust until everyone is satisfied.

I wanted to edit this so you could all first hand see how the entire animation industry works. Its sort of the way of life out here in LA though. We prepare for for this sort of rocky employment though. I myself live a spartan life style, consuming only the essential things I need to survive, Sandwiches, Coffee, and gaming pc parts.

kloa posted:

Let my tell you about my youtube channel friendo.

Actually I have pitched show Ideas to Nickelodeon before, but I'm not very good at coming up with kids material, and trying to figure out the networks hidden desires was a game I didn't really want to play. So I've kinda curbed the idea of making a broadcast media for now to focus on my short animations and youtube content.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got a kids show thing I’ve been working on for a few years, I’ve been trying to turn it into a low budget feature film. I got the pitch down but now I don’t know what’s happening. Flakey rear end peeps.

Now I’m tuning into a comic because why not.

Make a comic typical.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I got a kids show thing I’ve been working on for a few years, I’ve been trying to turn it into a low budget feature film. I got the pitch down but now I don’t know what’s happening. Flakey rear end peeps.

Now I’m tuning into a comic because why not.

Make a comic typical.

yeah dude make a comic. comics are dope. Also for some reason they do really well on instagram. people love to swipe right to the next frame.

I kinda want to try that.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Typical posted:

Oh, I really enjoy your channel - just wish there was more.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Typical posted:

yeah dude make a comic. comics are dope. Also for some reason they do really well on instagram. people love to swipe right to the next frame.

I kinda want to try that.

I’ve posted a few like this, it actually kind of works. That might be a good place to put the whole thing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dan Harmon is a crazy homeless looking dude standing in the middle of a busy public square with a megaphone shouting "hey! hey everyone I loving hate my self! I'm such an ugly ball of depression! Look how self-deprecating I am! I'm so self aware of how awful I am! In fact I'm the absolute best at it you god drat peasants. I'm the god drat best at being depressed and miserable. God why is everyone looking at me?! Shut up!! I don't care what you idiots think, what gives you the right to talk to me?! Leave me alone with my absolutely massive ego based on being the best at depression and crippling insecurities!"

But he makes good poo poo so I'll give him a solemn nod and a slow clap.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Depression and anxiety loving suck dude

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I watched harmontown and it kinda filled in some gaps about how i percieved the dude. he gets drunk and while his worst antics are still cut out and mostly only alluded to the day after, he seems to turn into a poo-brained shithead when he's drunk, like everyone else. When he's sober, or the closest thing to functional/sober you can be as an alcoholic, he's alright and aware of his demons and in control of himself. This should be obvious but just reading tweets and other less canned, less candid stuff you get the impression of a schizophrenic rear end in a top hat when i think he's mostly just the kind of dickhead alcoholic artist that would've been way more successful if his career had peaked a decade or two back.

I don't think anyone would tolerate Gene Roddenberry in the modern era based on what came out about him after his death. It's kinda amusing in hindsight but he sounds like absolute hell to work with in a similar way as harmon, and as prone to attracting nerds

tl;dr just based on how i act when hosed up and how i've seen him act while hosed up and people in my actual life behave i'd say the dude needs like, an extended rehab stint more than anything

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I feel bad for Dan Harmon.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yeah. To me this is exemplified in the terrible Beth episode where Rick delivers a long winded, nihilistic monologue to Beth. It’s so obviously spelled out and delivered in a way to make the fans feel smart for “getting him” that it’s borders on cringey.

I don't think the audience is meant to agree with him in that rant.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I liked R&M but I kinda wish it gets cancelled because Jesus Christ those fans making GBS threads up the internet. How likely is a fourth season?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Nuclear War posted:

I liked R&M but I kinda wish it gets cancelled because Jesus Christ those fans making GBS threads up the internet. How likely is a fourth season?

100% likely

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Is despising Rick and Morty fans worse than the fans themselves yet? Kind of like what happened with Hipsters.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Typical posted:

Actually I have pitched show Ideas to Nickelodeon before, but I'm not very good at coming up with kids material, and trying to figure out the networks hidden desires was a game I didn't really want to play. So I've kinda curbed the idea of making a broadcast media for now to focus on my short animations and youtube content.

You should start a YouTube channel targeted to kids. I hear that market is going great.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

I feel bad for Dan Harmon.

Harmon is in a hell of his own making, despite his own issues. He is deeply self-loathing (which comes out in pretty much all his work through narcissism), clearly needs to stop drinking for good and probably needs to step away from the toxic hell that is making media, because all attention does is feed his narcissism.

There's nothing wrong with mental illness or depression or anxiety. Last I saw the estimates had risen upwards to that roughly 19 - 21 percent of the population has mental illness of some sort. It happens.

Where the break happens is when someone is fully aware of having such an issue, then refuses to do something about it. I lost all respect for Harmon a while back when he tried to gaslight Megan Ganz, who rightly was having nothing of it.

basic hitler posted:

I don't think anyone would tolerate Gene Roddenberry in the modern era based on what came out about him after his death. It's kinda amusing in hindsight but he sounds like absolute hell to work with in a similar way as harmon, and as prone to attracting nerds

Hell, everyone knew Roddenberry was a monster even back in the '70s (and Paramount flat-out refused to deal with him, which is why he was kicked out of doing the movies after the first one), but he was a master of creating a cult of personality around himself. After he died, his widow carried on the tradition, to the point of rushing an "authorized" biography out the door after she found out an actual biography--that didn't hide his shadiness and scummy behavior--was hitting bookshelves.

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 24, 2018

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I physically recoiled at the thought of Gene Roddenberry having access to Twitter.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Tendales posted:

I physically recoiled at the thought of Gene Roddenberry having access to Twitter.

It's almost ironic that he was such a turd considering if it weren't for a powerful woman he would be a nobody (Lucille Ball and her husband produced OG Star Trek through Desilu Studios. A lot of nerds ended up Loving Lucy and not knowing why :v:)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Without getting too personal, I feel bad for Harmon because I can see myself getting there if I don’t deal with my issues right here and now. His movie freaked me out deep inside because man, I saw a lot of myself. (Not anywhere near as extreme though. What he did to Megan is horrific.)

It scares me because all I want in my life is to make cool poo poo every day, that brings joy to people. And he has that and he’s still a wreck.

It gives me inspiration to push myself in the right direction, but also shows the danger of having those issues unchecked.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nuclear War posted:

I liked R&M but I kinda wish it gets cancelled because Jesus Christ those fans making GBS threads up the internet.

Steven universe fans are still worse.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Steven Uniworse if you will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Steven Universe and Rick and Morty are 2 sides of the same coin, direct opposites - one is a show about how being nice to everyone will save the world, one is a show about how lovely everyone is inherently, and both have heavily toxic idiots in their fanbase. Also down to dynamics, Morty is Steven in a universe where Garnet's unquestioning world view is the norm, and Steven is Morty in a universe where Rick actually listens to Morty's better nature. In this metaphor Garnet is Rick - the differences are that Garnet is much nicer than Rick although sharing flaws like thinking she knows everything when she doesn't and being initially cold to newcomers, and Morty is a horrible little pervert who initially shares Steven's naivety, and both become more wise about how the world really works as the shows go on and they see more of it.