Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I bought mine in September 2016 and it has the colour ADD (guess that’d make it a MY 2017 in the USA, we go by date first registered here)

I love the ADD and don’t find it distracting at all, although I am a bit worried it might fail when the car gets older. Other than that the only thing I dislike is the dumb ‘piano black’ interior trim around the window switches and gear shifter - its a fingerprint magnet and picks up scratches if you even look at it funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So while on my honeymoon we went to Cars & Coffee at Laguna Seca. A fellow MS6 owner was in attendance. His car had quite a few upgrades, Corksport turbo, Treadstone front mount, White Widow exhaust. Upgraded axles etc. His dynosheet showed he was putting down 368 to the wheels on the stock block and internals. And his parts investment was stupidly low (he bought some used bits). While the track was not available he let me take it down a few twisty roads for a bit and man, it really reinvigorated me on my own car. We friended each other on FB and I think I'm going to basically follow what he did for now.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Kudaros posted:

I found a 2016 grand touring with < 1000 miles that looks good, if suspicious (why so low?) that I'm going to test drive in a few days if its there.

Assuming there's nothing glaringly wrong with it I'd wager the buyer found the ride comfort lacking. The SGT trim level comes with 215/45R18 tires and it can be a crunchy and really loud ride if the roads in your area are lovely. If they're still putting Dunlop Sport 5000s on them in the factory that probably isn't helping matters either. It's a respectable tire but there are better and quieter options available.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah I'm looking forward to mine wearing out - almost every road I drive on is coarse chip and they're loud as hell on that. I mean I'm sure the rest of the car isn't helping any either but the tyres are definitely a big factor.

I don't see how anyone could have bought the car without noticing though - even if you've never read a review then one test drive would have made it obvious.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Fabulousity posted:

Assuming there's nothing glaringly wrong with it I'd wager the buyer found the ride comfort lacking. The SGT trim level comes with 215/45R18 tires and it can be a crunchy and really loud ride if the roads in your area are lovely. If they're still putting Dunlop Sport 5000s on them in the factory that probably isn't helping matters either. It's a respectable tire but there are better and quieter options available.
Those poo poo Dunlops came on my '17 Mazda3 touring they definitely make the ride louder than I imagined they would.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
It’s a bummer they haven’t bothered to increase the insulation or whatever to try and dampen road noise, even on higher trim levels. It’s seriously difficult to have conversation over the Bluetooth on certain road types on the highway. The newest Yokohamas are supposed to be better but then again so were my current set.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I test drove a '17 Mazda 6 and must say, the road noise is way too much. It's pretty much what keeps me from ever buying one. Which is a shame since the rest of the car is great. I thought they promised to improve it?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

They say that every revision and never end up dramatically improving the situation. There are improvements but you need to drive different generations back to back to notice them.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
It doesn't seem so bad to me, but then again I was coming from a 07 Civic

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

dissss posted:

They say that every revision and never end up dramatically improving the situation. There are improvements but you need to drive different generations back to back to notice them.

They're working all of the improvements that began with the CX9 through to the other vehicles. The 2017+ CX5 is now one of the quietest in its class, and I'd imagine the 2018 6 post-redesign is going to be equivalent.

The 3 probably is going to have to wait until the 2019 redesign.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I hope they move away from the squinty rear window design in the next 3.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

You're going to be disappointed.

I think it looks sick, though.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
That reminds me of an Alfa Romeo Romeo hatch.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It does look awesome.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

The new front end is amazing but the rear end seems like they ran out of ideas and let it congeal into an amorphous lump for the production guys to figure out. The current generation body sort of has "hips" sitting on top of the rear wheels that nicely square things off. I'd like the new concept hatch more if they squared the rear end a lot more and just gave up on the crazy rear window slope and went for something more vertical and practical like the first generation hatch.

That soul red color though. drat.

Supposedly the next 3 using the SkyactivX engine will also have structural body/frame enhancements to make it quieter but as already pointed out that promise has been made before.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Can confirm soul red is in fact bitching awesome.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

They're working all of the improvements that began with the CX9 through to the other vehicles. The 2017+ CX5 is now one of the quietest in its class, and I'd imagine the 2018 6 post-redesign is going to be equivalent.

The 3 probably is going to have to wait until the 2019 redesign.

Maybe it’s tyres but I really wasn’t that impressed with the one I drove and that didn’t have the big wheel option (and it’s amazing how tiny 17”s look these days)

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

In the meantime Mazda is still playing around with the mid-size sedan market: The 2018 Mazda6 with the 2.5L turbo will start at $30k. Also available will be "Grand Touring Reserve" and "Mazda6 Signature" trims: The former comes in at $32.6k and the latter at 35.6k. I'm thinking the GTR is what most will want while the MZ6S will just add a lot of Lexus-esque shiny things that work better for half the price.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Now just put the turbo in the 3 and offer a "Club" package with the aero kit, LSD, Brembos, Bilsteins, BBS wheels and Recaros like the Miata.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Bring back the 323 GTR

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Charles posted:

Bring back the 323 GTR

And the 1.8 V6

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Now just put the turbo in the 3 and offer a "Club" package with the aero kit, LSD, Brembos, Bilsteins, BBS wheels and Recaros like the Miata.

I saw club and LSD and so I assume those other things are just cool new drugs that I've never heard of

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hah. That'll be Skyactiv-Y.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

but then it would cost $40k and you can already just buy a focus rs

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Sex Weirdo posted:

Sure but the hypothetical performance 3 would maintain all of the advantages a base 3 has over a base Focus.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Not sure if this is the place to ask this but figured I’d give it a shot: I have a 2015 Mazda 3, and a tech replaced my battery today and I found out he’d left the car running while he did it. Stereo was muted, no lights, etc, but I’ve heard this is a really bad thing to do.

How hosed is my car?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SourKraut posted:

Not sure if this is the place to ask this but figured I’d give it a shot: I have a 2015 Mazda 3, and a tech replaced my battery today and I found out he’d left the car running while he did it. Stereo was muted, no lights, etc, but I’ve heard this is a really bad thing to do.

How hosed is my car?

You mean the engine was running with the battery removed??? Is that possible.?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's highly unusual but... If it's acting fine then nothing was likely harmed.

That used to be a test to see if the alternator worked, but it's not really valid these days.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

On a modern vehicle with voltage regulation controlled by the ECU it can fry an alternator. It sees no voltage at the battery so it starts ramping up the voltage output from the alternator until something lets the magic smoke out. If the vehicle is working properly, its probably not a big concern, but thats still unbelievably stupid on the part of the tech. Its a danger to himself and risks damaging a customer's vehicle because hes to innatentive or lazy to shut the damned engine off.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 23, 2018

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
How did you "find out" that he had done that?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah that just seems like it would do basic to avoid. The only thing I can think is that somehow the hood was open but the doors locked and the car running? It just doesn’t make sense.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Unless you have a separate terminal on the battery, the regulator will see alternator voltage without a battery hooked up.

I still wouldn't do it, but it takes a lot for this to have any real bad effects.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

How did you "find out" that he had done that?

He told me afterward - when I got my keys back he casually mentioned that he’d left it running so none of my settings would be lost from memory, as he gave me an update on everything. He had the key so he easily could have turned it off.

Thanks everyone, I have to get some other basic maintenance soon anyway so I’ll ask if they can check the alternator out (if any issues would show up even via diagnostics?)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If anything bad happened it would already result in your new battery draining. It's probably fine.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

SourKraut posted:

He told me afterward - when I got my keys back he casually mentioned that he’d left it running so none of my settings would be lost from memory, as he gave me an update on everything. He had the key so he easily could have turned it off.

Thanks everyone, I have to get some other basic maintenance soon anyway so I’ll ask if they can check the alternator out (if any issues would show up even via diagnostics?)

... You can use a jump pack with an obd2 connection to do the exact same thing without any risk to the vehicle. I use one while doing battery changes every day at work.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Sex Weirdo posted:

Well, I'd buy a Golf R over an RS today, and I'd buy a Mazda 3R or whatever over either.

I'd be all about Mazda's more mature / upmarket current approach in a theoretical hotter Mazda3. (I'd probably even get the auto. :banjo: )

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

... You can use a jump pack with an obd2 connection to do the exact same thing without any risk to the vehicle. I use one while doing battery changes every day at work.

I had no idea these were a thing and now I want one.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Well goons, I'm happy to report that I got my oil catch cans installed.

Along with some other parts...

:getin:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

Please don't. I miss my old car even though this new one is superior in every way.

Yeah I just put a bluetooth aux in so I'm going to drive this for the next 200 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I still love my 2006 like the day I bought it!