Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Agent355 posted:

I'd happily pay 60 bux for a 4 hour game that blew me away.

Most wouldn't. Most of the time I wouldn't pay 60 dollars for any game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Agent355 posted:

Sure but some people will expressly call a game worse for not having replayability. You see it all the time. Somebody says some game like Do4m is great, then somebody else points out the campaign is only x hours long and it has no replayability so therefor it's a bad game.

I don't get it. I don't demand movies have 'rewatchability' to be good, even though I'll rewatch movies that I really love.

Maybe it's goalposting but I'm finding what I find terrible in the term 'replayability' is its use in detracting from games.

If a game offers you something you enjoy and gives you a reason to go through it multiple times, great. Fine. Enjoy yourself. But I see people complain and moan about games lacking that, and that seems incredibly unreasonable when media in general is just an experience that you pay for. Once you've experienced it theres no more to it, you just move on.

So like, in a dumb way a game that lacks replayability shouldn't be punished so I likewise don't see the point of celebrating a game that has it?
Oh no, I absolutely agree with you. "Replayability" is kind of a buzz word, as is "x hours of gameplay!" as if that meant anything. I'm just arguing that for some games replayability is not an empty word that marketing put there and mouthbreathers demand without thinking about it; it's an actual feature that actively improves the game because many parts of the game were designed specifically to make a replay A Good And Worthwhile Use Of Your Time (also known as "fun" colloquially).

Probably the best quality of specifically Dark Souls' replay value is that it's still optional. It's not really for Diablo (that's why I said "extreme example", and probably not a good one anyway), but you said yourself that you had good fun with your one playthrough. And that's great!

Olive! posted:

Most wouldn't. Most of the time I wouldn't pay 60 dollars for any game.
Hard agree on that, by the way.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Man its gonna suck for you guys when video game prices finally succumb to inflation.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'll always have my cheap garbage :P

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Agent355 posted:

Yep. So? Demanding x hours of value for your dollar is a great way to get lovely padded experiences. I'd happily pay 60 bux for a 4 hour game that blew me away.

(also a movie around here is 12 bux for 90 minutes, thats worse $/minute than a video game so your point doesn't even work there)

Films here are £2.50, so it does.

People have higher expectations for the more expensive media. You are being obtuse if you think otherwise.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Leal posted:

Man its gonna suck for you guys when video game prices finally succumb to inflation.
I bought Dark Souls for a fiver years after it originally came out :shrug:. My other "played to the point of obsession" game was in fact Diablo 2 which cost me...20 something Euros with expansions back in 2005? Never buy games new is what I'm saying.

I bought DS2 and 3 on release because I wanted to, but all DLCs for both later because I'm a patient man. They did get cheaper for DS2, not so much for DS3 but whatever. This is a really stupid argument though, for some people 60$ means nothing, for others that's saving up for two months.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Films here are £2.50, so it does.

People have higher expectations for the more expensive media. You are being obtuse if you think otherwise.

People are unreasonable about the way the world works if they draw hard lines in the sand about how much entertainment they need for a given dollar.

You can prefer to get more for your money but the idea that not getting enough makes the experience bad is asinine.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Leal posted:

Being an importer makes me honestly shocked that our prices are still locked to $60. Japanese game prices have been climbing forever and the equivalent of AAA releases are approaching 9000 yen.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if AAA games have more budget than your average big name JRPG.

Caphi has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Mar 23, 2018

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Agent355 posted:

People are unreasonable about the way the world works if they draw hard lines in the sand about how much entertainment they need for a given dollar.

You can prefer to get more for your money but the idea that not getting enough makes the experience bad is asinine.

It's not unreasonable to expect decent value for your money. I hope this helps.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

It's not unreasonable to expect decent value for your money. I hope this helps.

It's not unreasonable to want decent value for your money.

It is unreasonable to label something as inferior because it doesn't meat your arbitrary value:dollar ratio. I wouldn't buy a porsche even if I had the money for it because I don't particularly care about cars and it wouldn't offer me much entertainment to own. That doesn't make porsche a bad car (I don't know shi tabout cars, i assume they aren't bad)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Agent355 posted:

Sure but some people will expressly call a game worse for not having replayability. You see it all the time. Somebody says some game like Do4m is great, then somebody else points out the campaign is only x hours long and it has no replayability so therefor it's a bad game.

I don't get it. I don't demand movies have 'rewatchability' to be good, even though I'll rewatch movies that I really love.

Maybe it's goalposting but I'm finding what I find terrible in the term 'replayability' is its use in detracting from games.

If a game offers you something you enjoy and gives you a reason to go through it multiple times, great. Fine. Enjoy yourself. But I see people complain and moan about games lacking that, and that seems incredibly unreasonable when media in general is just an experience that you pay for. Once you've experienced it theres no more to it, you just move on.

So like, in a dumb way a game that lacks replayability shouldn't be punished so I likewise don't see the point of celebrating a game that has it?

Some of my favorite games ever I beat only once under 10 hours and have no intention to replay. The Diablos of the world are fine timewasters but there's a difference between those and the ones that really have a strong emotional effect upon you. I think the same is true of many films.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Some of my favorite games ever I beat only once under 10 hours and have no intention to replay. The Diablos of the world are fine timewasters but there's a difference between those and the ones that really have a strong emotional effect upon you. I think the same is true of many films.

Yeah thats a good description of what I'm trying to get to. The best games I've ever played are probably ones I'll never play again because they hit me in some way that was unrelated to the number of hours of content or times I replayed them.

Replayability and quality seem to be an entirely unrelated concept.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
What seems arbitrary to you might not seem arbitrary to someone else. They might have, I don't know, played a short video game with no replayability in their lives and then felt like it wasn't worth it to them. And then formed an opinion on how much content they need for their money to feel like it's worth it based on further experience. This would then seem arbitrary to you because you lack their exact internal feelings and preferences and experiences with which they formed their opinion.

This is like humanity 101 guys.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm fairly poor and if I don't at least get a dollar to hour of entertainment ratio out of a game I feel ripped off.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

World Famous W posted:

I'm fairly poor and if I don't at least get a dollar to hour of entertainment ratio out of a game I feel ripped off.

Sure but that isn't actually a statement on the quality of the game. That is the game failing to deliver enough content for you to feel you got your money's worth, that doesn't make the content it did deliver worse. If it delivers 4 amazing hours but you wanted 10, you might still be disappointed with the brevity but that doesn't diminish the 4 hours you got and shouldn't lead to you, in the future, calling the game bad for lacking 'replayability'

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Nah, I still feel like its garbage.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just found out that there is a Phineas and Ferb game on 360/WiiU (Quest for cool stuff) but its really rare and so the price for WiiU is sometimes enormous with £30 being the minimum, and the 360 version is region locked and the only version I can find is in Canada. Dammit!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm going to go the BioEnchanted route and complain about an old PS game I keep going back to (speaking of getting you money out of a game), Brigandine. It is a Hexagonal grid tactical rpg. You use 'rune knights' on the field who can carry up to six monsters with them. Fun game, multiple kingdoms and strategies to try.

My complaint is the rune knight class of 'Ninja' is locked off from you till you beat the main villain's empire, Esgares, and then send spare knights on a quest to locate one of the only two ninjas in the game that served under the villains. By the time you are normally taking on Esgares empire most your knights are highly leveled so you will miss out on the chance of leveling them up as a Ninja. I've played the game through probably about 6 times now and maybe have never really got to play with the class.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

I just found out that there is a Phineas and Ferb game on 360/WiiU (Quest for cool stuff) but its really rare and so the price for WiiU is sometimes enormous with £30 being the minimum, and the 360 version is region locked and the only version I can find is in Canada. Dammit!

Bio I don't know where you're at but GameStop has it for $15 available right now and Amazon has used copies for $20 on Wii U.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I've started playing Dark Cloud 2 for the first time. I unironically love taking pictures of everything in games that have cameras, especially if there's actual mechanics behind it. BUT... there are missable pictures. You have to get a picture of every boss while you're fighting it. But wait, not just a picture of the boss: they need to be doing some specific attack. So you have to get out the camera, putting you in a first-person view in which you can't move, while the boss is attacking you. Enjoy getting hit.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Olive! posted:

I've started playing Dark Cloud 2 for the first time. I unironically love taking pictures of everything in games that have cameras, especially if there's actual mechanics behind it. BUT... there are missable pictures. You have to get a picture of every boss while you're fighting it. But wait, not just a picture of the boss: they need to be doing some specific attack. So you have to get out the camera, putting you in a first-person view in which you can't move, while the boss is attacking you. Enjoy getting hit.

It bugs me more that if you try to open a door in the city area, and its a fake background door, instead of just not registering the click it locks your character into trying the door, then slowly turning around, looking at the camera, and shrugging.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Len posted:

Bio I don't know where you're at but GameStop has it for $15 available right now and Amazon has used copies for $20 on Wii U.

I'm in England and am not comfortable performing Region-Unlocking hacks on expensive hardware. I'll probably get the £35 one I saw on eBay delivering from the UK, or just keep an eye out locally.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm in England and am not comfortable performing Region-Unlocking hacks on expensive hardware. I'll probably get the £35 one I saw on eBay delivering from the UK, or just keep an eye out locally.

Jesus. That's almost $50. That's a ridiculous difference

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll keep an eye out in local shops for a second hand version, but if not then one month I'll just use my entertainment budget on it. That's normally around £30.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Man now I remember why I have three characters started in Bloodborne all at Father G. I'm bad at this game and the fact it takes insight to summon people means this early in the game I'm effectively stuck bashing my head against a brick wall and farming vials/bullets.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Len posted:

Man now I remember why I have three characters started in Bloodborne all at Father G. I'm bad at this game and the fact it takes insight to summon people means this early in the game I'm effectively stuck bashing my head against a brick wall and farming vials/bullets.

I only made it 4 or 5 bosses into bloodborne before I had life interrupt my gaming habits for a long time, but I do remember throwing every fire consumable I had at this dude, and using one that lights your weapon on fire. Save them for the later half of the fight, and the toss range and animation is pretty weird and rigid so it took some practice not to just waste them all.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Do you know the music box thing already?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Olive! posted:

Do you know the music box thing already?

Yeah use it to temporarily stun him then hope he doesn't hit you with his axe because once he hits me I die

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i cheesed the poo poo outta that fight by just circling around gravestones and using my long range axe charge attack to bring him down to 1/3rd hp, and when he transformed i just got lucky running away and using the charge attack like 3 times, each time it connected it does a knockback

once i had the general strategy down i killed him on my 3rd try

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Souls games have a built in easy (well, easier) mode. Summon up some friends (or goons, there’s a ton that still play in Bloodborne thread) and just wreck poo poo all day. I say this as someone who loves Soulsborne, but never really got gud. As soon as poo poo gets frustrating, just summon.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HairyManling posted:

Souls games have a built in easy (well, easier) mode. Summon up some friends (or goons, there’s a ton that still play in Bloodborne thread) and just wreck poo poo all day. I say this as someone who loves Soulsborne, but never really got gud. As soon as poo poo gets frustrating, just summon.

This doesn't work as good in Bloodborne because the system is different, netcode is extra garbage and there are specific enemies in a few areas designed to punish you for summoning. Dark Souls 2 is still my personal favorite souls game for co-op fun.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

This doesn't work as good in Bloodborne because the system is different, netcode is extra garbage and there are specific enemies in a few areas designed to punish you for summoning. Dark Souls 2 is still my personal favorite souls game for co-op fun.

You also need insight and im out of that

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

Huh, I never had much trouble with summoning in Bloodborne. Agreed on DS2, though.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

someone tripped my Epic Games login attempts freeze so i've discovered that fortnite is somehow still in "Early Access"

like drat you didn't even finish your own game before ripping off a better idea?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Replayability is worth much more than video game storytelling.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I understand why the endgame of Subnautica gets flack. The game is sandbox-metroid hybrid with optional survival elements. In time you have to traverse a linear path into the hellish bowels of the planet. Think of the trip to Lost Izalith from Dark Souls if it was actually good. After this effective sequence you get your next goal which is... to craft some enzymes out of some plants. Some of these plants are a little hard to find, but it doesn't take long. You make the enzymes, get cured, disable the quarantine, and bugger off in your escape rocket. When I finished the game I had every achievement and hadn't even explored half the map. The problem with the endgame is that there really isn't one. It's abrupt, anti-climactic, and doesn't shake up the gameplay at all.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Len posted:

You also need insight and im out of that

BEING summoned is totally free (don't even lose blood echoes on death) and beating a boss in co-op gives you insight. Try being summoned for Father Gascan (or Cleric Beast if you want a slightly easier time) and use it as both practice and insight farming.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

food court bailiff posted:

BEING summoned is totally free (don't even lose blood echoes on death) and beating a boss in co-op gives you insight. Try being summoned for Father Gascan (or Cleric Beast if you want a slightly easier time) and use it as both practice and insight farming.

Is there a way to get summoned without buying the bell for 1 insight because I may have hosed up and not did that

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Uh unfortunately not. Do you have any Madman's Knowledge left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

food court bailiff posted:

Uh unfortunately not. Do you have any Madman's Knowledge left?

Nope. There may be one left hanging around somewhere but I think it might be easier to abandon this guy and start over