Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
At least BH you gotta go in there and mix it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Night10194 posted:

What did I say. I said ignore all the End Times poo poo.

As :psyduck: as a lot of the junk in it is, I at least liked the turn they pulled to make "MALEKITH WAS RIGHT" happen, that you're supposed to go into the flames and burn up, then you come back out if you're the real deal, you're the PHOENIX KING and that everyone else had basically been cheating.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 6, 2020

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

puberty worked me over posted:

I have beat each stage about 3 times and am now heavily bored and do not feel switching classes brings anything new to the game. I mean the game is only $30 but I expected to get more than 50 hours out of it.

I mean honestly the reason I enjoy the game is the visceral ratfeel of crushing skulls, I'd probably do it for another hundred hours after I maxed out all my classes with perfect gear, gently caress that's what I did in V1. I am sorry if you are not feeling it but if the core gameplay isn't working for you than I get it.

EDIT: I guess for me the joy of coming back to the game is perfecting my actual play. In much the same way that some people can play fighting games for hundreds of hours because of microscopic improvements in their play and reaction times, I'll keep crushing rats until my motherboard overheats.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The game definitely needs more goals to strive for. Quests that you advance by gaining experience post-30 and reward you with something you couldn't get elsewhere. Or have sack rats rarely drop a special item that lets you craft something unique.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Coolguye posted:

they're kinda between general and emperor but as of this moment cosmetics only really come out of them so they're also kind of their own thing.

That's not my experience at all, their rarity values seems more on par with something like Merchant/Soldier with how many greens and blues they give. At least for Chests/Vaults.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I wonder if they will eventually add something similar to Contracts in 1, or at least make Heroic Deeds much more likely to drop cosmetics.

And yeah, the staying power of the game for you depends on how much you like the core gameplay and how playing different characters mixes that up, Mendrian comparing it to fighting games is pretty on point. That said, 50 hours is a great amount of time, I think only like 10 of my games on Steam (out of like ~350) are past that.

But hey, next month will have a new map DLC, and if it's anything like VT1 only the host needs to own it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

I dont know posted:

I remember that bit from the first game. To the best of my memory

Bardin: Have a care watelgi. I had kin at [battlename].

Kerrilian: Oh really? Tell me, were they among the ones who died in the ambush, or the ones that threw their weapons down and cried for mercy?

Bardin: That does it!!!! You and me, right here we settle this!!!

Kruber: Alright. Easy. Easy. There are still rats to kill, you two.

It's pretty memorable since it's about the only time Bardin really mad. Even counting when Kruber asks about Cousin Orki.

Yup, this is the one I was thinking of. Didn't play enough of the first game to realize it was in that one as well.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Node posted:

The game definitely needs more goals to strive for. Quests that you advance by gaining experience post-30 and reward you with something you couldn't get elsewhere. Or have sack rats rarely drop a special item that lets you craft something unique.

I still wish they'd take the concept of Deeds and just go whole hog on it. Or do something like Diablo's community tests. Complete Bendybrew Humperdink's stage as only Handmaiden with a specific set of talents/weapons. I think that stuff could be fun or neat and offer a unique challenge

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Coolguye posted:

it's unclear what the real justification is because saltzpyre bot owns really hard. fast melee plus generally hitscan weaponry means he can cut the hell out of poo poo all day and then 360 noscope headshot a special roughly a quarter second after he spawns.
Yeah, I vaguely remember reading that SaltzBot was noticeably better than the other bots in the original if you could get him to spawn, I just wondered if they'd fixed that in the sequel. Maybe not, I guess.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ugh, finally ran into a "meta" Champion team and it was boring as sin, as well as having me get tagged by friendly fire so drat much because the pubstars can't help but shoot everything, especially whatever target I'm murdering at the moment if they're an elite. Pyro, Waystalker, pistol Ironbreaker. Can't wait for that rebalancing patch.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

150 FPS? drat, that's a high Hz monitor.

144 Hz to be exact. In Overwatch I get a constant 150 fps and it looks just :allears:

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

As :psyduck: as a lot of the junk in it is, I at least liked the turn they pulled to make "MALEKITH WAS RIGHT" happen, that you're supposed to go into the flames and burn up, then you come back out if you're the real deal, you're the PHOENIX KING and that everyone else had basically been cheating.

Ahahahahahah. No.

That entire thing was such a retarded amount of bullshit that it's put me off GW for life.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Malekith spends a million years waging a civil war and then murders some kings and says "actually they were cheating, I'm the real king" and half the high elves say "oh ok sounds good"

And Tyrion is going :psyduck:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skypie posted:

Malekith spends a million years waging a civil war and then murders some kings and says "actually they were cheating, I'm the real king" and half the high elves say "oh ok sounds good"

I'd have been fine with it if the twist was 'yeah he was supposed to be king' and the chaser was 'thank god he wasn't because he's a psychopath and a massive prick'.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Skypie posted:

Given everything Malekith did, the High Elves accepting him as a leader is on the level of Israel electing literally Adolf Hitler for their president.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
"A Prophecy Said So" as a plot point was done a lot better by the greeks

ditto everything regarding fate and the inevitability of death

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
like have the twist be that he ends up king of high elves as prophesied, because he's the last elf to die

bang boom done, dang isn't that ironic and maybe says something evocative about the true value of dumb titles in the face of our inevitable mortality in an uncaring universe

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Then Malekith eats a demon and becomes part demon (I guess cuz Games Workshop saw how the ladies get horny for Illidan from Warcraft?) and promptly goes off somewhere to continue porking his mom

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
So about killing rats

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
i really think fatshark is missing out on the opportunity of having some great cosmetics and it makes me sad cause i want to play dress up. also there are zero reasons why the hats should be career restricted either yet they are

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 24, 2018

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Age of sigmar and the end times work on the better parts of what makes warhammer good: and btw it's not the writing - the writing has always been pulpy at best. You sign up to warhams for the races and larger concepts, which age of sigmar and end times play around with a ton. When you get to the nitty gritty of the writing and "why" things happen Fantasy and 40k do not hold up well (and I love both).

I mean fantasy has literally places called Nippon and Ind, evil Canada and Tolkien elves, with chaos being almost only 100% Angry white Vikings against 17th century Germans. You could go to town for days on how laughable the setting is, Vermintide works because it does precisely what the end times and AoS is about, throws a bunch of people together in a cool setting and makes fights happen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Enjoy posted:

So about killing rats

I love it!

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Vermintide works because it’s the story of a slow burn romance between a crotchety old man and the cheery young drunkard who glacially warms his bitter heart.

Kruber: “Good strike sir, but keep your elbow up - your guard’s open.”
Salzpyre: “YOU DARE LECTURE M- ... thank you, Sergeant. I shall consider your advice.”

Bonus points: kruber, reviving saltzpyre: “No weakness, please, sir. Not in front of the others.”

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Agrajag posted:

i really think fatshark is missing out on the opportunity of having some great cosmetics and it makes me sad cause i want to play dress up. also there are zero reasons why the hats should be career restricted either yet they are

I just found a mask for the Shade, which unfortunately I never play

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Phlegmish posted:

funny thing is i bet there is a very similar mask in vermintide 1 that original kerillian was able to use.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Phlegmish posted:

Hah, that's just her model from the beta.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
drat shame how both Kruber and Saltz's 2H swords and Bardin's 2H axe are underpowered at the moment. Wonder if they'll get buffed through range or more cleaving.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

toasterwarrior posted:

drat shame how both Kruber and Saltz's 2H swords and Bardin's 2H axe are underpowered at the moment. Wonder if they'll get buffed through range or more cleaving.

dwarf 2h weapons could stand to have a bit more range imo

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So what properties should I be looking for on each equipment slot? I just hit 300 power level and want to roll some dice.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

33% curse resistance everything else is utterly meaningless

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

33% curse resistance everything else is utterly meaningless

Can I get that on each non-weapon piece?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

fadam posted:

Can I get that on each non-weapon piece?

just trinket

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol 165% curse resistance, grimoires actually increase your max health

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

fadam posted:

So what properties should I be looking for on each equipment slot? I just hit 300 power level and want to roll some dice.

Neck: 2 Stamina, +20% health.
Charm: +5% atk spd and +20% crit power are the "obvious" choice, but I've also held onto a +10% power vs chaos, +10% power vs. skaven piece that I'm sure I will find a use for.
Trinket: Curse resistance, crit chance and movement speed are all good choices.

toasterwarrior posted:

Axes aren't supposed to have high cleave, because if they did then they'd do everything. The 2H Axe already one-shots Champ Stormies on light attack headshot, what more could you ask of a weapon?

On paper I think the 2H swords are great - High DPS, high cleave, good stamina, good push - but Saltz has this incredible melee lineup that gives it no room and Kruber has The Halberd. The 2H sword is also really good at this weirdly specific niche of using its high DPS light attack to chew through the beefy high mass Chaos guys that cause most cleaving attacks to stick but who cares right? Mixed shielders and armor are what gets you.

Senethro fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 24, 2018

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I've actually come around on the executioner's sword for Kruber. Light attacks as merc just melt hordes, and the charge attack one-hits blackrats and appears to do a silly amount of damage to bosses (I think this is a 'feature' of the weapon? Head crits seem really high). I tried 2h sword on the dummy but it looks awful, because it does like sweep sweep head attack, which is a bad thing for hordes.

Anyone have experience comparing the two?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Hell yea I hope they buff Unchained.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Commendation Chests are actually between Commoner's and Soldier's because they give out greens too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yardbomb posted:

ZearothK posted:

Given everything Malekith did, the High Elves accepting him as a leader is on the level of Israel electing literally Adolf Hitler for their president.

Night10194 posted:

I'd have been fine with it if the twist was 'yeah he was supposed to be king' and the chaser was 'thank god he wasn't because he's a psychopath and a massive prick'.

In a running theme that I have brought up. Once again this is all Teclis's doing. First Teclis helps Malekith murder Finnubar the current elf king. Teclis telling everyone that Malekith is the god chosen king and using magic trickery to get the forces of Caeldor and a bunch of other elves on his and Malekith's side who attack the forces of the Eagle gate from behind allowing Malekith to take it and the inner lands of Ulthuan.

Also everything Teclis does do is at the behest of Lilieth the Elven goddess who later reveals she lied to him super hard about what he should do. (The End Times seems to just want to say that the Elven Gods are huge assholes responsible for everything bad. Yet for some reason tries to present them and their chosen Malekith as being in the right when they are not.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Senethro posted:

Axes aren't supposed to have high cleave, because if they did then they'd do everything. The 2H Axe already one-shots Champ Stormies on light attack headshot, what more could you ask of a weapon?

I mean, so does the 2H hammer. What the 2H axe has is speed, which I feel only really stands out against the hammer in comparison when you stack all the attack speed buffs on it. It feels like it only edges out the hammer in terms of DPS against big targets then.

VT1 vets, what made the 2H axe stand out compared to the 2H hammer?