Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Jesus gently caress, that's going to be a nightmare for anyone to paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

TaurusOxford posted:

Jesus gently caress, that's going to be a nightmare for anyone to paint.

Yep, the more you look at it the worse it is

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

We should have seen this coming. It's 2018. Only good things happen.

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I actually found the stickers not long after making that post, go figure. But I'm still thinking of working with markers in the future.
Thank you for helping!

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Light Gun Man posted:

So this might be a little off topic but apparently the Robotech RPG is losing the license and thus are clearing stuff out at now-kinda-sane prices (before shipping anyway, god drat)

http://palladium-store.com/1001/category/robotech-rpg-tactics.html

Apparently these are basically little tiny baby model kits so I ordered the 35 dollar box and am looking forward to building a tiny fleet of macross dudes

i wish there were more valks and less / better zentradi poo poo but oh well. Lemme know if someone wants to trade maybe? They should have at least included more variant heads for valk models, drat it. Only one VF-1J is a dick move.

They're uh... really not great. The original 3D model they're split from is fine but holy crap is it obvious they've not split a model for injection molding before. The instructions are awful as well.

I wish you the best of luck.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Wow, a Leo variant that actually looks good:

(Well, with the top head only.)

The Leopocalypse begins.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There's another HGBD kit revealed; the Glitter Ghiraga. Along with another weapon set and half a pic of Seravee Gundam Scheherazade's mini Ptolemaios parts actually joined together.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's another HGBD kit revealed; the Glitter Ghiraga. Along with another weapon set and half a pic of Seravee Gundam Scheherazade's mini Ptolemaios parts actually joined together.

I WANT IT

IT'S TROPICAL FRUIT PUNCH DRAGON BUT BLUE AND EDGIER

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Luminaflare posted:

They're uh... really not great. The original 3D model they're split from is fine but holy crap is it obvious they've not split a model for injection molding before. The instructions are awful as well.

Also, they scammed the hell out of the Kickstarter backers so please don't give them more money

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The cylinder head is so good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think it's missing something though. Just an extra minor touch or weapon of some kind to set it apart from the original Leo just a shade more.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it's missing something though. Just an extra minor touch or weapon of some kind to set it apart from the original Leo just a shade more.

Does the regular Leo come with the round shield? That’s my favorite part of this one.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's proably gonna be like the GM/GM, where there's a weapons pack to go with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Does the regular Leo come with the round shield? That’s my favorite part of this one.

It does indeed.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's proably gonna be like the GM/GM, where there's a weapons pack to go with it.

I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think it's a bad kit either, just that it's lacking that defining personal tweak on the original design that the best Build Fighters designs have.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The backpack looks like the biggest reason to get this squad of Leos over the green leos; it appears to have 7-8 holes to plug poo poo into. I'm guessing their aim was to have a new hi-mock for BD.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Guy Goodbody posted:

Mini Cherno Alpha head does indeed rock.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'll tell you what'll set it apart with that cylinder head: a paint job of 4BO green and a red star decal, because it'll make it more like Cherno Alpha

Well Manicured Man posted:

Mini Cherno Alpha head does indeed rock.

f;b

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Leos becoming the new Hi-Mock is like a dream come true. :allears:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

MJP posted:

I'll tell you what'll set it apart with that cylinder head: a paint job of 4BO green and a red star decal, because it'll make it more like Cherno Alpha

Challenge accepted. I'm putting together a Cherno following your lead from a few months ago btw please don't delete those imgur albums. Appreciate how much detail you put into your logs!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Just putting together the mg age 2 after painting it and the knees and the shoulders on this thing suuuuck. It's one of the worst mg's I've built in a while.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The weirdest thing about the plans for Build Divers is they're releasing a line of compatible capsule and candy toys that can more or less combine with the HGs to make monstrosities like the ones featured on the back of the HGBD Age II Magnum (which I ended up buying today because I was in the hobby shop for action bases but they had a pile of them and apparently couldn't walk out empty handed. They also broke street date by a day on the new Pacific Rim HGs.)

Because having SDs for arms makes perfect sense. :downs:

(Also sorry for potato quality but the actual back of box printing isn't that much more legible)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Luminaflare posted:

My expectations are low, don't worry. I don't even have a desk area for working on this kinda thing right now. But I figured eh this'll give me a little hobbyist thing to work on once in awhile that's fine.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

The weirdest thing about the plans for Build Divers is they're releasing a line of compatible capsule and candy toys that can more or less combine with the HGs to make monstrosities like the ones featured on the back of the HGBD Age II Magnum (which I ended up buying today because I was in the hobby shop for action bases but they had a pile of them and apparently couldn't walk out empty handed. They also broke street date by a day on the new Pacific Rim HGs.)

Because having SDs for arms makes perfect sense. :downs:

(Also sorry for potato quality but the actual back of box printing isn't that much more legible)

Most of those look really bad (seriously, they really do just look like you cut an SD in half and glued them to shoulders) but the zaku arm owns. All it needs to reach quality is to have the feet articulate so they can rest soles against each other.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 23, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bought myself a tieren ground type. The articulation is surprising good for a 2007 kit. This thing is really pretty for something that is all green and grey. It's a walking T-34.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 24, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/HobbyJapan_MAG/status/977358416023764992

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

It turns out it is actually really hard to make a white with just the tiniest hint of pink. It seems like there's no middle ground between "Cannot notice the pink" and "Really, really pink." I guess I err on the side of can't notice and just try more coats?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Are you airbrushing? Try your pink mix then a coat of white on top. May mute it down, similar to pre-shading.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

EVGA Longoria posted:

It turns out it is actually really hard to make a white with just the tiniest hint of pink. It seems like there's no middle ground between "Cannot notice the pink" and "Really, really pink." I guess I err on the side of can't notice and just try more coats?

Have you thought about doing the panel lines or shading in pink? That could make the white look like an very light pink

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Puddin posted:

Are you airbrushing? Try your pink mix then a coat of white on top. May mute it down, similar to pre-shading.

Yeah, airbrushing. That makes sense. Will have to try that out later, see if it gives me what I'm looking for.

(What I'm looking for, for reference, is the body color of the Strike Rouge. The color guides are a god damned lie)

Guy Goodbody posted:

Have you thought about doing the panel lines or shading in pink? That could make the white look like an very light pink

I'm not doing any shading yet, that's probably a few kits in the future. Panel lining might be an option too, what would it take to get something akin to the panel line washes in pink? Is it just thinning down a paint, or is there something special to it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I finished my tieren. I really want to try painting this bad boy. Don't have an airbrush though, which I know you guys swear by. Anyone do hand painting? I want to dry brush the poo poo out of this kit and make it look like it was built out if spare t-34s.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I finished my tieren. I really want to try painting this bad boy. Don't have an airbrush though, which I know you guys swear by. Anyone do hand painting? I want to dry brush the poo poo out of this kit and make it look like it was built out if spare t-34s.

Hand painting is definitely doable, a lot of military miniature builders do it, though I imagine you'd still want to spray prime for better adhesion. You could also spray can the base color and hand paint details on too.

The main problem with hand painting is you need to do a lot of thinnish coats to avoid brush marks showing up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RillAkBea posted:

Hand painting is definitely doable, a lot of military miniature builders do it, though I imagine you'd still want to spray prime for better adhesion. You could also spray can the base color and hand paint details on too.

The main problem with hand painting is you need to do a lot of thinnish coats to avoid brush marks showing up.

I've painted my share of warhammer figures. "Thin your paints" is a well worn quote.
I was figuring on using paint tape to cover the polycaps and then using a black spray primer as a base. Then do several green coats followed by a wash and then drybrushing and highlights. Then spray a matte topcoat on everything.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah definitely prime, lots of thin coats.

Hand painting is not hard but it is time consuming but very rewardable.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Puddin posted:

Yeah definitely prime, lots of thin coats.

Hand painting is not hard but it is time consuming but very rewardable.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

You can hand prime if you like. I think sprayed primer looks a little bit more even but I prefer to hand prime cos it's more fun.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
If you want to get deep in it, there's a Miniatures Painting thread with a great OP.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How do action base 1 and 4 compare?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

So many people are going to buy this just for the tail whip

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Not gonna lie, that's definitely why I'm getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

sassassin posted:

How do action base 1 and 4 compare?

Action Base 1 is better for heavier models (like MG Sazabi or something) because it has two anchor points and a sturdier base.The maximum height is about the same but the Action Base 4 has a much lower minimum height.

Overall unless you're displaying something particularly weighty the AB4/5 is the new hotness and they're fully inter-compatible and highly adjustable so you can combine a couple of sets to make much nicer displays that were possible with the AB1 and 2. Also I'd pretty much say the AB5 makes the AB2 completely obsolete, better base, better arms, better construction, just better.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The whip is 3 times longer. :3: