Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I’m using an Action Base 5 for the first time with an HG Victory, V Dash, and V2 display all on one base. It owns so much compared to Action Base 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Guy Goodbody posted:

So many people are going to buy this just for the tail whip

Gundams with tails are awesome.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's a good comparison of the undisplayable kits

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Guy Goodbody posted:

So many people are going to buy this just for the tail whip

You certainly wouldn't be buying it for the swords

Kao_Pai
Mar 25, 2003
Sharing a couple of recent favorites that turned out better than I'd expected them to.

Assault Suits Valken/Cybernator - Jake Type Valken
Considering the bulk, it's got some nice posability, assuming you filled the feet with BBs.
Reminded me that I also have an Assault Suit Leynos renewal version I really want to get to.

I wanted a Krote with a ridiculous, huge, multi loadout ammo type feed system, so I added on some pieces from two Kotobukiya MSG kits and two Tomytecs. The Tomytec M134 mini gun 1:12 kits have lots of great little bits, including flexible ammo chutes and nicely detailed feed mechanisms. I think they blend nicely with the Machinen Krieger base kit. Also felt like the kit overall needed more welded seams, so I built some up by masking off very narrow strips to fill with Tamiya putty, sanded back down until there was just enough left to score and match up with the other welds.

Pak. Krote TW47 - Black Slipper

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Those look extremely good!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
That Krote is really loving good. Goddamn.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Puddin posted:

That Krote is really loving good. Goddamn.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That's really great work

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That Valken suit looks like a great kit, and the work on both of those is fantastic.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Kao_Pai posted:

Sharing a couple of recent favorites that turned out better than I'd expected them to.

Assault Suits Valken/Cybernator - Jake Type Valken
Considering the bulk, it's got some nice posability, assuming you filled the feet with BBs.
Reminded me that I also have an Assault Suit Leynos renewal version I really want to get to.

I wanted a Krote with a ridiculous, huge, multi loadout ammo type feed system, so I added on some pieces from two Kotobukiya MSG kits and two Tomytecs. The Tomytec M134 mini gun 1:12 kits have lots of great little bits, including flexible ammo chutes and nicely detailed feed mechanisms. I think they blend nicely with the Machinen Krieger base kit. Also felt like the kit overall needed more welded seams, so I built some up by masking off very narrow strips to fill with Tamiya putty, sanded back down until there was just enough left to score and match up with the other welds.

Pak. Krote TW47 - Black Slipper

Very nice! What's your weathering technique on the first one, sponge?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Box art for 3 of the suits form Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory.

Haven't seen the show, but these look incredibly like my kinda robots.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I hope bandai will make a laevatein as well once it shows up. I have the Kotobukiya one but it's not great.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat, I should get into Full Metal Panic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Droyer posted:

I hope bandai will make a laevatein as well once it shows up. I have the Kotobukiya one but it's not great.

I hope they make kits of the good robots from that show, like the Scepter or the Savage,

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Taintrunner posted:

drat, I should get into Full Metal Panic.

It’s good

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hope they make kits of the good robots from that show, like the Scepter or the Savage,

The scepter doesn't even show up until the sequel series written by someone else, there's no chance they're gonna make a kit of it in conjunction with the new anime.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

They posted the boxart for three of the good robots right there

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

They posted the boxart for three of the good robots right there

yeah, I just think the laevatein is boring

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
At 1/60, what size will these kids be? Hg size?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
If I didn't know better I would mistake those for IBO kits.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

That Gobbo posted:

If I didn't know better I would mistake those for IBO kits.

The giveaway is that they actually have waists :v:

It would be nice to get the scepter/savage, they're pretty neat robbits.

Kao_Pai
Mar 25, 2003

Booyah- posted:

Very nice! What's your weathering technique on the first one, sponge?

Just a wet brush with Vallejo chipping medium. I'd never used it before, but i like it better than hairspray. Apply the top layer to the chipping medium, then after it dries just kind of poke away with a water wet brush.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

DKD posted:

At 1/60, what size will these kids be? Hg size?

Pretty much yeah, FMP robots are tiny except for the one super huge one. M9 Gernsback is ~8.5m.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

No man, I can't keep buying Arbalests. Stop.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

C'mon bandai, you can afford to make some 1/40 scale or something with MG equivalent engineering, can't you?

Or at least of the Arbalest and Laevatein?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Also on the non-Gundam models track:

http://schizophonic9.com/re4/hg_bracer.html - Bracer Phoenix. It looks ok, though it's definitely the most boring of the suits. Also, 51 stickers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EVGA Longoria posted:

http://schizophonic9.com/re4/hg_bracer.html - Bracer Phoenix. It looks ok, though it's definitely the most boring of the suits. Also, 51 stickers.

The Jaeger designs for Uprising are all pretty loving generic compared to Pacific Rim's. I'd much rather have kits of those designs.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

EVGA Longoria posted:

Oh man those thick nubs right on the fuckin dome, just kill me already

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

C'mon bandai, you can afford to make some 1/40 scale or something with MG equivalent engineering, can't you?

Or at least of the Arbalest and Laevatein?

They might, but it makes sense to test the waters first. It's been a while since FMP had a show, and they don't make that many MGs a year recently anyway.

Think I'll probably pick up one or two of those. Combine those with the new Leos, and it seems like we're in grunt territory. Not a bad place to be.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

They might, but it makes sense to test the waters first. It's been a while since FMP had a show, and they don't make that many MGs a year recently anyway.

Think I'll probably pick up one or two of those. Combine those with the new Leos, and it seems like we're in grunt territory. Not a bad place to be.

None of those are actually grunts.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Jaeger designs for Uprising are all pretty loving generic compared to Pacific Rim's. I'd much rather have kits of those designs.

I like Saber Athena, but yeah, they are super generic.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

None of those are actually grunts.

Ah, really?

My mistake. Limited FMP experience made me kinda assume some of those were, at least in a Jegan sense, from the pictures.

Still. Neat designs.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

chiasaur11 posted:

Ah, really?

My mistake. Limited FMP experience made me kinda assume some of those were, at least in a Jegan sense, from the pictures.

Still. Neat designs.

The Arbalest is a one-off super-prototype but M9s are sort of low-production-run, high spec grunts. Kind of like the ECOAS specific stuff in Unicorn. They're manufactured exclusively for the use of (and by, IIRC) a private merc group that's central to the plot of the story. Those two particular M9s are specialized for the use of their pilots, although the one with the sniper rifle is more-or-less standard issue aside its armament if I remember correctly. I think the US Army uses a lower spec/older version of the same design too?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Zebulon posted:

The Arbalest is a one-off super-prototype but M9s are sort of low-production-run, high spec grunts. Kind of like the ECOAS specific stuff in Unicorn. They're manufactured exclusively for the use of (and by, IIRC) a private merc group that's central to the plot of the story. Those two particular M9s are specialized for the use of their pilots, although the one with the sniper rifle is more-or-less standard issue aside its armament if I remember correctly. I think the US Army uses a lower spec/older version of the same design too?

I think Kurz's M9 has a unique head too, and in fairness later in the novels (which we'll presumably see in the upcoming anime) the US starts using M9s making them proper grunts.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Droyer posted:

I think Kurz's M9 has a unique head too, and in fairness later in the novels (which we'll presumably see in the upcoming anime) the US starts using M9s making them proper grunts.

It'd make sense if it has better optics, but I could swear in the anime at least that it has the same head the unnamed pilot versions you see every so often have. Not familiar with the novels themselves to know if that's different.

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009
So my backlog was dwindling away... and I bought 4 more kits to fill the space:

-1/100 Mobile Sumo
-1/144 HGUC Nu Gundam
-1/100 MG Alex Metallic Finish version (I spent more than I want to admit on this...)
-1/100 HRM Wing Zero Custom (actually saved about $25 on this)

Add to that the fact that we just bought a SECOND Detolf, and my wallet is in so much pain.

Shinde fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 25, 2018

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
The past week I've bought and put together a HG Wing Zero and a MG Tallgeese. Then I bought a MG Epyon and Strike Gundam today. Someone help.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Did more random parts of the dainsleif. It's built around this center accelerator core (with placeholder kebab skewer currently loaded), all the parts just slide over it so there's no glue needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's looking really good, kudos.