Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

I disagree. It’s day one, so we don’t have much action-wise to work from, so I’m going to build the flavor case for Lumpen.

In the Android saga (I’m going to include the Cell saga in this) of DBZ, there are six main androids.

Android 16
Android 17
Android 18
Android 19
Android 20
Cell

Android 20 is the android conversion of Dr. Gero, the creator of all of the androids. He wants Goku and the Z Fighters dead due to Goku wiping out the Red Ribbon Army. He’s killed by Android 17.

Android 19 is just a boring lovely android that is subservient to Dr. Gero. He is killed first, by Vegeta.

Androids 17/18 are humans converted to android. They turn on Dr. Gero when he demands their complete obedience or face death. They are antagonists to the Z Fighters. They are both absorbed my Cell.

Android 16 is a full android. He is considered the most reckless and dangerous. His only mission is to kill Goku. He is awoken by 17/18, to the protest of Dr. Gero. He is killed by Cell.

Cell is a time traveling android from the future. He is created from the cells of the universe’s strongest fighters. He absorbs 17/18, and kills 16. He is killed by Gohan.

None of these people are the “good guys.” The only way it would make sense for one android to be Town is if they are all Town and the Z Fighters are actually a scum team. But that wouldn’t make sense in a game this size imo.

So my flavor guess would be: Androids 16/17/18/19/20 are a scum team. Cell is a super powered serial killer. The only other way I could see it split are a 16/17/18 scum team and a 19/20 scum team.

There is literally no way for an android to be Town.

On thing also to consider: in a game this size, it is very common to have multiple scum teams. Scum can take advantage of this because they can make an honest effort to scum hunt and appear as Town by hunting the other scum team.

Unless Lumpen does something incredible to convince me otherwise, I will not be moving my vote.

##vote Lumpen

yeah but what about the android that is frankenstein's monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

flerp posted:

yeah but what about the android that is frankenstein's monster

16 is adorable.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I don't think flavor is important. My flavor is unambiguously a villain in the show and I'm town.

Lumpen's straightforward attitude reads town to me, and jumping in with a giant flavor case you're not going to budge from looks extremely scummy to me.

##vote Mordiceius

Hrm. I didn’t play the last DBZ game but someone said the Z Fighters were a scum team. Wonder if it is the same case here.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Voting Lumpen just to see what his deal is (and possibly shed light on the rest of the game's setup) is tempting.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Judging from the context of what's been posted so far I just wanted to confirm: We're more or less supposed to keep our characters a secret as well as our roles, right? I mentioned it in my signup post but I haven't played a mafia game before, so I don't want to mess up and blow it right from the start.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Gonna ##unvote cause shitposting has ended, also I hope that if someone is Android 13 that their wincon is to punch goku in the dick

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
So uhh, any good chili dog stands around here?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

grand theft grotto posted:

Judging from the context of what's been posted so far I just wanted to confirm: We're more or less supposed to keep our characters a secret as well as our roles, right? I mentioned it in my signup post but I haven't played a mafia game before, so I don't want to mess up and blow it right from the start.

Generally, you want to keep it secret as long as necessary. And NEVER copy/paste your role information as provided by the mod.

If you are Town and you reveal too early, you become a target (or if vanilla town, make others a target). If you are scum, naturally you don’t want people to know who you are, though most mods provide a selection of “safe” fake claims.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Generally that’s correct. There are a few exceptions (like if your role is “Miller” you probably need to say that in your first post), but the times to claim your role are either when you are showing up with a result on a scum (“I’m the cop and I know [player x] is scum”), or if you are very close to being voted out. And even then in my first example of the cop claim you would probably want to be coy about it if you can.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I am Android 15 and I'm Town. I don't see any reason to conceal this flavor.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Unless you have a specific reason for wanting to claim, keeping it secret is usually safer yeah. Especially early in the game

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Voting Lumpen just to see what his deal is (and possibly shed light on the rest of the game's setup) is tempting.

##vote jeabus

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Lumpen posted:

I am Android 15 and I'm Town. I don't see any reason to conceal this flavor.

Holy poo poo this is a ballsy claim

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

if youre role says something like "scum" or "wants to murder town" you should tell us so we can help you do that :)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress are Z fighters?

Also Mord's flavour case is bad. I'd vote for Lumpen for being Lumpen, but that's neither here nor there.

##vote Mord

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Are you low key admitting that you’re scum aligned? Man mafia sure is different than werewolf

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Asiina posted:

What the gently caress are Z fighters?

Also Mord's flavour case is bad. I'd vote for Lumpen for being Lumpen, but that's neither here nor there.

##vote Mord

z fighters is the dumb name for goku and pals

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
flavor is stupid whoever is talking about flavor deserves to be run over by a bus

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
I'm also Vanilla. Claiming this may be a bit selfish since it could allow the Scum to hunt power roles better and increase my chances of being left alone at night, but given the gamestate I judged that it may be the most informationally helpful-to-Town move I can make to fullclaim Android 15, Vanilla Town right off the bat in case that knowledge is enlightening for other Town to avoid bad flavor cases or for Town Power Roles to avoid being misled by mistaken assumptions about flavor. Maybe it helps Town out together some obscured setup elements which would otherwise need flips to start seeing.

The information gap is the true advantage of Scum.

Reactions of several people suggest that they are probably NOT similarly numbered Town Vanilla androids, at least: Mordiceius, Jeabus, and GeneX.

Also claiming Vanilla now may put me in a better position to gain a power from the Hyperbolic Time Chamber? I dunno, it at least demonstrates a good reason for me to possibly try to enter.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Lumpen posted:

Reactions of several people suggest that they are probably NOT similarly numbered Town Vanilla androids, at least: Mordiceius, Jeabus, and GeneX.

I’m Town, but I’m not an Android, which is why I find it hard to believe an Android would be Town.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I think Jeab’s reaction is scummier than Mord’s case

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

town should be voting to hunt scum, not to “see what Lumpen’s deal is”

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Mordiceius posted:

I’m Town, but I’m not an Android, which is why I find it hard to believe an Android would be Town.

I also find it a bit hard to believe. Android 15 also didn't appear in the Android saga to my knowledge, but in a non-canon movie, and as a villain. While that doesn't mean necessarily mean anything for this game, it seems a hard claim to buy.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I don't think a Scum would be motivated to do the flavorcase effort you did, I think you're more likely Town based on that.

But avoiding jumping to mistaken flavor conclusions like that was part of why it seemed helpful for me to claim, at a time and manner that wouldn't be misconstrued as me lying for personal gain.

If you are Town, it would seem to me like you now have a pretty good reason for beginning to believe an Android could be Town.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Birdstrike posted:

I agree with this assessment. Scummy and opportunistic reaction that doesn't reflect a TownMind.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
##vote jeabus

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

I also find it a bit hard to believe. Android 15 also didn't appear in the Android saga to my knowledge, but in a non-canon movie, and as a villain. While that doesn't mean necessarily mean anything for this game, it seems a hard claim to buy.

I'm quoting myself since though new I understand editing is forbidden, I want to add on to this that though I find it hard to believe doesn't mean I don't believe it. I'm reserving judgment for now. I also find the Lumpen's point that having an odd role and coming out with it does make sense.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##vote Tobbs

Would also vote Jeabus.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Birdstrike posted:

:hfive:

Also saying "it's tempting" rather than just voting is strange imo

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

chaoslord posted:

:hfive:

Also saying "it's tempting" rather than just voting is strange imo

It’s testing the waters. If no one agrees just pretend you never said it.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Mordiceius posted:

:words:
There is literally no way for an android to be Town.

On thing also to consider: in a game this size, it is very common to have multiple scum teams. Scum can take advantage of this because they can make an honest effort to scum hunt and appear as Town by hunting the other scum team.
:words:
Mord this paragraph above sticks out in your post because it is a completely disconnected thought, as far as I can see, from the rest of the post. Can you explain the relevance? What did you mean by including that?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Birdstrike posted:

Which is why I said tempting and didn't actually vote

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Which is why I said tempting and didn't actually vote

how noble

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Birdstrike posted:

It’s testing the waters. If no one agrees just pretend you never said it.

If I wanted to pretend I never said it I would have... never said it

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Mord's initial insistence that any android dies is definitely sus

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Mord's initial insistence that any android dies is definitely sus
Why? Explain your train of thought please.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Lumpen posted:

Why? Explain your train of thought please.

Okay, basically it's straight up wrong flavour-wise. He tries to paint all of the androids during the saga as absolute villains when 16, 17, and 18 all pull at least semi-face-turns during the saga. This feels to me like a smear campaign against androids so that any that pop up can be immediately ganged up on.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Flavor-wise, Android 16 would fit for a good Android. #15 does not. The last game had flavor matter a decent amount.

##vote lumpen

Barring Androids 13 and 14 claiming town.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Okay, basically it's straight up wrong flavour-wise. He tries to paint all of the androids during the saga as absolute villains when 16, 17, and 18 all pull at least semi-face-turns during the saga. This feels to me like a smear campaign against androids so that any that pop up can be immediately ganged up on.

16 for sure, 17 and 18 not so much.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Lumpen posted:

Mord this paragraph above sticks out in your post because it is a completely disconnected thought, as far as I can see, from the rest of the post. Can you explain the relevance? What did you mean by including that?

Because I’ve seen multiple big games (most recently Final Fantasy 6) where scum quickly are assumed to be town because they were actually scum hunting a different scum team.

There are a lot of new players in this game. And with a game of this size, I’m going to be loving shocked if there is only one scum team. I just wanted to issue a reminder that in a game like this, being a good and/or successful scum hunter does not mean someone is Town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Little Mac posted:

16 for sure, 17 and 18 not so much.

It's debatable

• Locked thread