Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I agree with Monathin, Asiina's analysis is good. It fits with the strangeness of the seemingly inconsistent part I asked Mord to elaborate on.

My first impression of More's case was that it seemed like an understandable knee-jerk wrong conclusion to jump to and get overexcited about, given the Mod-provided flavor. I did not expect Mord to cling hard and double down on it, and now it seems a lot less plausibly sincere. He's willfully ignoring the behavioral data to latch on to flavor, and that's an easy move for Scum. He does not seem to be really thinking about my alignment, but instead whether his flavor case is airtight enough to can give him plausible deniability for "being wrong".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Xad posted:

Right now we're assuming either Androids are town and scum team is Goku and friends, or that good guys are good guys and scum is some Androids or something.
This is a weird statement that doesn't seem to follow what's in the thread. I don't think that was suggested in the thread. Is Xad talking in a Discord channel and slipped?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm inclined to agree with the current points against Mord with regards to discussion of multiple scum factions.

That aside, I want to go back to something I was saying earlier. Lumpen claims to be Android 15, a movie only villain, but also claims to be town. Initial those reasons were part of why I doubted his claim. Little Mac supported the idea that a character might not be strictly aligned as town/scum due to the fact that the flavour rule is written differently from the previous game. I think that lends credibility to Lumpen's claim.

I also noticed this while thinking about that:

Sandwolf posted:

Hello I am here and I remember watching this whole series and I have no idea who my character is.

Initially I took that to mean that Sandwolf watched the series long ago and just doesn't remember much of the cast, but if Sandwolf hasn't seen the movies and has a movie character, it would make sense they don't recognize their character. If that does happen to be the case (which is a bit of a leap, but a possible one), then that would add a little bit of support to Lumpen's claim as well.

I should not that I while I mention Mord and Lumpen I am addressing these issues separately. I am not intending to imply that the innocence of one implies the guilt of another, nor would I argue that point in this situation.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
keep in mind that you can be a super duper cool town character and then some rear end in a top hat steals your character and gives you their own lovely reject role

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

King Burgundy posted:

I assume you mean KB. Not sure why you'd think that was a lurker vote. He's in the middle of the pack. It's gut.

I just hadn't seen him post that much compared to the others, but that's fine.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Birdstrike posted:

keep in mind that you can be a super duper cool town character and then some rear end in a top hat steals your character and gives you their own lovely reject role

Sure but would that happen on day one or are you merely stating that can happen as the game progresses?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Lumpen posted:

I agree with Monathin, Asiina's analysis is good. It fits with the strangeness of the seemingly inconsistent part I asked Mord to elaborate on.

My first impression of More's case was that it seemed like an understandable knee-jerk wrong conclusion to jump to and get overexcited about, given the Mod-provided flavor. I did not expect Mord to cling hard and double down on it, and now it seems a lot less plausibly sincere. He's willfully ignoring the behavioral data to latch on to flavor, and that's an easy move for Scum. He does not seem to be really thinking about my alignment, but instead whether his flavor case is airtight enough to can give him plausible deniability for "being wrong".

I haven’t removed my vote from you because currently, I don’t have anyone else I’d be comfortable voting for (and also we’re so far from Lynch and Day’s end that I’m comfortable with it sitting there).

But what bothers me is that you were so loving willing to come out with your claim initially.

However, you had mention the flavor in the OP directly positions the androids as the antagonists, which just makes all of this more confusing.

And Asiina - this is a large game. Sure it could be one giant scum team, but I go into large games with the assumption it is more than just one Town team and one scum team and nothing else. IMHO that doesn’t make for as exciting a large game.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Sure but would that happen on day one or are you merely stating that can happen as the game progresses?

night 1 in the previous game

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Birdstrike posted:

I saw your character sheet, you would have been scum eventually!!!!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Mordiceius posted:

Sure it could be one giant scum team, but I go into large games with the assumption it is more than just one Town team and one scum team and nothing else. IMHO that doesn’t make for as exciting a large game.

And you thought it was worth mentioning out of the blue...why?

I don't disagree, but, uh, that's something you bring up after people are analyzing flips, yeah?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

GeneX posted:

And you thought it was worth mentioning out of the blue...why?

I don't disagree, but, uh, that's something you bring up after people are analyzing flips, yeah?

Mordiceius posted:

Because I’ve seen multiple big games (most recently Final Fantasy 6) where scum quickly are assumed to be town because they were actually scum hunting a different scum team.

There are a lot of new players in this game. And with a game of this size, I’m going to be loving shocked if there is only one scum team. I just wanted to issue a reminder that in a game like this, being a good and/or successful scum hunter does not mean someone is Town.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Double post.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Yes, I understand why it was brought up, and fundamentally agree that the game is big enough that we can't clear people for hunting scum, even more so than in smaller games.

I'm questioning why you appended it to your long flavor argument about how every android is scum.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Wait.

If you were town and an android in a game where the androids are scum according to flavor, you wouldn't come out as some kind of flavor miller?

Because I sure as hell would, and I'd expect other town to do the same.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
holy poo poo you morons flavor doesnt loving matter in dbz 1 there was characters that werent even present in the frieza saga that people had as characters god drat shut up about flavor

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
counterpoint:

quite stretched out posted:

i hope you took that motherfucker to flavourtown

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

GeneX posted:

Yes, I understand why it was brought up, and fundamentally agree that the game is big enough that we can't clear people for hunting scum, even more so than in smaller games.

I'm questioning why you appended it to your long flavor argument about how every android is scum.

Because I was speculating ways that it would be possible for the androids could be split across multiple scum teams. Cell is an android. It would make any sense for him to be aligned with anyone else. 17/18 are both androids, but they could be a pair of scum on their own as they never really had any allegiance to Dr Gero (Android 20).

Basically, my point was that if you use ~*~*~flavor~*~*~, it doesn't make any sense for an android to be town. But that also doesn't mean that all of the androids would be aligned.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
good afternoon!

Mordiceius posted:

I disagree. It’s day one, so we don’t have much action-wise to work from, so I’m going to build the flavor case for Lumpen.

In the Android saga (I’m going to include the Cell saga in this) of DBZ, there are six main androids.

Android 16
Android 17
Android 18
Android 19
Android 20
Cell

Android 20 is the android conversion of Dr. Gero, the creator of all of the androids. He wants Goku and the Z Fighters dead due to Goku wiping out the Red Ribbon Army. He’s killed by Android 17.

Android 19 is just a boring lovely android that is subservient to Dr. Gero. He is killed first, by Vegeta.

Androids 17/18 are humans converted to android. They turn on Dr. Gero when he demands their complete obedience or face death. They are antagonists to the Z Fighters. They are both absorbed my Cell.

Android 16 is a full android. He is considered the most reckless and dangerous. His only mission is to kill Goku. He is awoken by 17/18, to the protest of Dr. Gero. He is killed by Cell.

Cell is a time traveling android from the future. He is created from the cells of the universe’s strongest fighters. He absorbs 17/18, and kills 16. He is killed by Gohan.

None of these people are the “good guys.” The only way it would make sense for one android to be Town is if they are all Town and the Z Fighters are actually a scum team. But that wouldn’t make sense in a game this size imo.

So my flavor guess would be: Androids 16/17/18/19/20 are a scum team. Cell is a super powered serial killer. The only other way I could see it split are a 16/17/18 scum team and a 19/20 scum team.

There is literally no way for an android to be Town.

On thing also to consider: in a game this size, it is very common to have multiple scum teams. Scum can take advantage of this because they can make an honest effort to scum hunt and appear as Town by hunting the other scum team.

Unless Lumpen does something incredible to convince me otherwise, I will not be moving my vote.

##vote Lumpen

bit early for flavour arguments surely, and that seems to be all this is

catching up

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I don't think flavor is important. My flavor is unambiguously a villain in the show and I'm town.

Lumpen's straightforward attitude reads town to me, and jumping in with a giant flavor case you're not going to budge from looks extremely scummy to me.

##vote Mordiceius

thankyou tobbs this is how i was feeling

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Voting Lumpen just to see what his deal is (and possibly shed light on the rest of the game's setup) is tempting.

why did you say this jeabus. what prompted this post.

##unvote

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Okay, basically it's straight up wrong flavour-wise. He tries to paint all of the androids during the saga as absolute villains when 16, 17, and 18 all pull at least semi-face-turns during the saga. This feels to me like a smear campaign against androids so that any that pop up can be immediately ganged up on.

someone may have already asked this, but if this is the case, why did you make the below post.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Voting Lumpen just to see what his deal is (and possibly shed light on the rest of the game's setup) is tempting.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

flerp posted:

holy poo poo you morons flavor doesnt loving matter in dbz 1 there was characters that werent even present in the frieza saga that people had as characters god drat shut up about flavor

Who? I claimed King Cold but that was a scum fakeclaim, I think we also had Cooler fakeclaim

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Atomic Soda posted:

someone may have already asked this, but if this is the case, why did you make the below post.

I was considering it as a form of calling Lumpen's bluff if nothing else came up. I thought it possible that a scum Lumpen would reveal being an android, but claiming town in order to throw any possible flavourcops off.

I doubt they would have claimed the definitely villainous 15, though

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
My character is hilarious and my power level is like 5.

Confirming.

flerp posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but this rings true.

Flavor playing isn't mafia. If it can be flavor solved then it is just a themed puzzle.

I have a few town reads from some early posts that looked like genuine town reactions to roles and PM. Even with 27 players, my dude is just like the most background of people and not at all related to z fighting or androids.

I assume by some of the responses that there a re a significant number more players with similar roles.

I don't like how Lumplord claims, it looks forced and weird like he couldn't wait to do it, and had to preemptively defend what he was doing with the, this is not a Miller claim, but the big flavor case by mord looks bad.

I want to say, flavor probably won't be a good thing to follow but eh no telling.

I'll join disc soon Nat20.

On phone and I've just been taking notes in a journal but:
What I found wrong with lumpens claim most of all is what i believe I perceived shortly after official start.

Tobbs remarks that they thought this was role madness and comments that it is not.

4 minutes later.

Lumplord suggests that Tobbs post was a town post.

12 minutes later Lumpen claims.

Why I have a problem with this is that, Tobbs makes a comment that I thought also did in fact lead me to believe he was town, but then he claimed an Android shortly there after.

Suggests flavor sensors.

Admits to being vanilla themselves.

Even with the possibility of role fuckery, it just seems like an illegitimate point to press when there is nothing establishing extraordinary mechanics in the game at that point and even more now still with so many people hinting at possibly being vanilla or not all that extraordinary.

I didn't play DBZ 1, but I feel like if the good guys were bad, then perhaps Lumpen was fake claiming, and show flavor casing is going against his plan.

NOW If that's all bullshit, then Mord is probably a scum.

I thought the day 0 cop joke might have been light bussing, still could be, but I think they are on opposite teams.

Right now, I feel like voting Lumpen for weirdness in the play thus far.

I think Mord flavor casing is terrible.

Bird also made a good case on Jeabus.

A few 'scum' claims too. Sal and Xad here's looking at you. Policy lynch all scum claims imo.

Flerp jokes or claims a bus driver and given my own role he just might be one in flavor lol.

I think Tobbs, crazyeyes, and sandwolf are town at this point from early posts.

I think CLord had a weird post about Lumps. I'll find it.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

chaoslord posted:

Probably not a cult game, Lumpen likely just got one of the good androids

This seems weird to me, but nothing else at the moment. Just.... weird.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

A few 'scum' claims too. Sal and Xad here's looking at you. Policy lynch all scum claims imo.

Whats jokephase precious?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

SalTheBard posted:

Whats jokephase precious?

Darling, joke phase is a treacherous ordeal that occurs when a bunch of fools gather together and agree to argue about who is REALLY scum, and let me tell you...

Nothing is sacred, not even the light hearted laugh out loud joke phase .

Mafia is a life ruining game. Don't play even once.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is probably the truest thing said all game

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

I wish I had taken this advice 6 months ago

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Goku, is that you? We have got to stop this guy while we have the chance. He's... he's pure evil!

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

##vote lumpen

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

50 pounds of bread posted:

Goku, is that you? We have got to stop this guy while we have the chance. He's... he's pure evil!

hey bubbles

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
At the moment there seems to be a clear divide in those that think flavour is important and those that don't, which is interesting because I haven't got a clue about our DBZ universe or what you guys are talking about.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

willie_dee posted:

At the moment there seems to be a clear divide in those that think flavour is important and those that don't, which is interesting because I haven't got a clue about our DBZ universe or what you guys are talking about.

welcome 2 the house of fun

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Mordiceius posted:

I disagree. It’s day one, so we don’t have much action-wise to work from, so I’m going to build the flavor case for Lumpen.

In the Android saga (I’m going to include the Cell saga in this) of DBZ, there are six main androids.

Android 16
Android 17
Android 18
Android 19
Android 20
Cell

Android 20 is the android conversion of Dr. Gero, the creator of all of the androids. He wants Goku and the Z Fighters dead due to Goku wiping out the Red Ribbon Army. He’s killed by Android 17.

Android 19 is just a boring lovely android that is subservient to Dr. Gero. He is killed first, by Vegeta.

Androids 17/18 are humans converted to android. They turn on Dr. Gero when he demands their complete obedience or face death. They are antagonists to the Z Fighters. They are both absorbed my Cell.

Android 16 is a full android. He is considered the most reckless and dangerous. His only mission is to kill Goku. He is awoken by 17/18, to the protest of Dr. Gero. He is killed by Cell.

Cell is a time traveling android from the future. He is created from the cells of the universe’s strongest fighters. He absorbs 17/18, and kills 16. He is killed by Gohan.

None of these people are the “good guys.” The only way it would make sense for one android to be Town is if they are all Town and the Z Fighters are actually a scum team. But that wouldn’t make sense in a game this size imo.

So my flavor guess would be: Androids 16/17/18/19/20 are a scum team. Cell is a super powered serial killer. The only other way I could see it split are a 16/17/18 scum team and a 19/20 scum team.

There is literally no way for an android to be Town.

On thing also to consider: in a game this size, it is very common to have multiple scum teams. Scum can take advantage of this because they can make an honest effort to scum hunt and appear as Town by hunting the other scum team.

Unless Lumpen does something incredible to convince me otherwise, I will not be moving my vote.

##vote Lumpen

Your case on Lumpen is contingent upon cell saga being a part of this, and even then you get into some heavy set up speculation.

I feel like you're doing a lot of work, but it is way to dependent upon factors that are not known at this time, and I feel like this is an opportunistic push

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
But isn't it the case that this early on we are voting blind anyway, and that until we have a reveal we have nothing to go on. Once we get past the first night we will be able to go back and look at who voted for who ever went first.

Hence why if there was a deathmiller it really screwing over the game.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Mordiceius posted:

It depends on win conditions. Those numbers don’t honestly sound unbalanced at all. The scum teams would end up hitting each other and it’s not just townies who die.

In Final Fantasy 6 mafia (granted, a different mod) there were like 20 Town, a 6 man scum team with a usurper/SK, a 2 man SK team, and a 4man non Town team that won when the 6 man team was gone but didn’t care about the SK team.

No reason this game couldn’t be equally if not more weird.
##vote Mord

Lots of setup spec and play that doesn't actually work towards town victory, but plays at being useful.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

willie_dee posted:

But isn't it the case that this early on we are voting blind anyway, and that until we have a reveal we have nothing to go on. Once we get past the first night we will be able to go back and look at who voted for who ever went first.

Hence why if there was a deathmiller it really screwing over the game.

It is mostly blind. You just have to vote for whom you think looks the worst in play.

We've gotten a good bit to go on with role crumbs, flavor crumbs and claims.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I think Tobbs, crazyeyes, and sandwolf are town at this point from early posts.

This stuck out to me so I decided to go back and look.

I get the Tobbs read. I'm not sure if I agree yet but I could see myself making it.

But sandwolf and crazyeyes? They have, what, five posts between them and all of them were during the jokepost phase. Can you expand on what about them that gives you a town vibe?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Crazyeyes posted:

I will speak plainly.

No. No I cannot.

I took this as a crumb that they had an innocuous role like mine, meaning vanilla or very well near vanilla.

Sandwolf posted:

Hello I am here and I remember watching this whole series and I have no idea who my character is.

This is spot on for this trend.

Could be misdirection, but given how this type of stuff was volunteered without prompting makes me think, they were expecting a bit more bells and whistles than they got, OR that their character was someone in the background of the show like mine.

I think scum would have simple fake claims, but like I said. How it was offered when it was offered... it just stood out to me.

Will still be watching them obv, but to a lesser degree at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Anomalous Amalgam#2799

Sorry I'm late to the game lol

• Locked thread