Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It sounds like a term from when a silicon valley start up decided to "solve medicine"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

EmmyOk posted:

Is "injuries incompatible with life" a medical term because jesus christ

it's what the paramedics say so they don't have to give cpr to a pile of shredded meat

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

EmmyOk posted:

It sounds like a term from when a silicon valley start up decided to "solve medicine"

I think it's pretty old but it has to do with who is and isn't allow to declare someone dead. But it's like "this person's head isn't attached to their body, I feel pretty confident in saying we can go 30 mph to the hospital. it's not a rush."

Decapitation is the standard example, but full disembowelment/"full bodily disruption" also count iirc. It means "I don't have authorization to declare this person dead but they're super not alive."

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
"Injuries not compatible with life: These include but are not necessarily limited to decapitation or other catastrophic brain trauma, incineration, severed body, and injuries that do not permit effective administration of CPR. If a patient has sustained such injuries, it should be intuitively obvious that the patient is non-viable."

Ughughughughugh

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dare I ask what the difference is between decapitation and "severed body?"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ariong posted:

Well if you're bisected, you're probably done.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Ariong posted:

Décapitation is when the head is no longer attached to the body; severed body is when part of the body is no longer attached to part of itself.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
"FBI found piles of dead flies, frozen clumps of severed heads in warehouse"
Shady body brokers done did wrong. :smith:
It happened in 2013 and the guy is just now going on trial.
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2018/01/fbi_found_piles_of_dead_flies.html

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pick posted:

I think it's pretty old but it has to do with who is and isn't allow to declare someone dead. But it's like "this person's head isn't attached to their body, I feel pretty confident in saying we can go 30 mph to the hospital. it's not a rush."

Decapitation is the standard example, but full disembowelment/"full bodily disruption" also count iirc. It means "I don't have authorization to declare this person dead but they're super not alive."

That makes sense for sure and I see now how it arose as a term. I guess there's a bunch of medical terms like that that sound really bizarre when you're used on common/lay speak!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

EmmyOk posted:

That makes sense for sure and I see now how it arose as a term. I guess there's a bunch of medical terms like that that sound really bizarre when you're used on common/lay speak!

Classically people "know" doctors can declare people dead and nurses can't, but that's actually not totally true, and there are a lot of edge cases, but anyway if you're employed in the field you know whether you're allowed to state someone is dead or not, and alternatively there are these official wiggle phrases.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

"FBI found piles of dead flies, frozen clumps of severed heads in warehouse"
Shady body brokers done did wrong. :smith:
It happened in 2013 and the guy is just now going on trial.
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2018/01/fbi_found_piles_of_dead_flies.html

this is the greatest scam

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Pick posted:

This was a totally different accident.

https://www.elitedaily.com/p/these-3-zodiac-signs-will-have-the-worst-march-mercury-retrograde-but-heres-how-to-deal-8577401
That review. :stare:h

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

PYF unnerving article or story: Devastating injuries incompatible with life

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

"Injuries not compatible with life: These include but are not necessarily limited to decapitation or other catastrophic brain trauma, incineration, severed body, and injuries that do not permit effective administration of CPR. If a patient has sustained such injuries, it should be intuitively obvious that the patient is non-viable."

Ughughughughugh

After the 2017 Ohio State Fair accident (not going to post a video, but it's easily found and graphic) the obvious fatality had CPR performed on the body by an on-site security or police officer (uncertain of their actual title) and to the best of my knowlege, the first responder had to continue even though to anyone not a moron the injuries were clearly incompatible with life simply because someone had started the procedure and they were not qualified to call. :stonk:

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Switzerland posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Is this a... totally different link to other people, or idgi?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Pick posted:

Weird zodiac stuff for me. Maybe there's a zodiac sign that's incompatible with life, especially in the SF Bay area.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Pick posted:

I dunno, as a Gemini the possibility of arguing with my friends is super unnerving.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Switzerland posted:

It seems somehow worse when it's being described a layman who doesn't know the 'proper' terminology. I read this story about three teens who got hit by a train while posing for a selfie more than a year ago, and the exact phrasing still sticks with me:

quote:

John raced back when the train finally stopped about a quarter mile down the track. The first girl he saw had no pulse and it was clear a second girl was no longer alive.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Pick posted:

Huh, weird.
https://www.elitedaily.com/news/pictures-dreamworld-ride-killed-4/1671150

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

EmmyOk posted:

Is "injuries incompatible with life" a medical term because jesus christ

It is, and it sucks saying it to families.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

a mysterious cloak posted:

It is, and it sucks saying it to families.

Gotta be better than just saying, "Your kid's head fell off."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

It looks like one of those webpages where if you keep scrolling it goes to another article and the url changes, but the page never reloads, so you probably just copied the link from the next article that you were technically looking at.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Solice Kirsk posted:

"...I'm not sure HOW, exactly, it just... fell off. He was standing in line to get a Slurpee and next thing you know, bam, rolling along the ground. Old woman tripped over it."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

That’s not you get ahead in life, son.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

quote:

They purchased disease-infected bodies at a discount and failed to disclose infections to customers, according to federal investigators. Sepsis, HIV and hepatitis were among the infections that U.S. attorneys say Rathburn failed to disclose.

You can buy bodies? There are pricing models for bodies? Higher-quality bodies fetch higher prices?

I guess I just never thought about this stuff before.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

fruit on the bottom posted:

That’s not you get ahead in life, son.

Your stupid dead kid couldn't keep focused. We tried crayons, we tried paints, we tried those wire things with the different shaped wood blocks that you slide around on it.....just gotta say your stupid headless kid wouldn't play with any of them. Next time try being a better mother.

Idiot.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

BattleMaster posted:

You can buy bodies? There are pricing models for bodies? Higher-quality bodies fetch higher prices?

I guess I just never thought about this stuff before.

Even better - they were a rental service. Bodies by the hour.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

darkwasthenight posted:

Even better - they were a rental service. Bodies by the hour.

I’m hoping this has a different use case then hotel rooms by the hour.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Which, coincidentally, are another easy way to find disease-infected bodies.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freudian posted:

Which, coincidentally, are another easy way to find disease-infected bodies.

:golfclap:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Solice Kirsk posted:

"we got no food we got no jobs our kids HEADS are fallin' off!"

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Injuries incompatible with life chat reminds me of my father's story about Vargas and his silk pillowcases.

Vargas bought a couple of silk pillowcases to send back home, then the team got called out on a Slam Hatchet (bring everything you've got ASAP, the ground convoy in Black Hawk Down sort of situation). So Vargas stuffed the souvenirs down the front of his shirt, and went out to save some Marines.

Vargas got shot.

"I'm hit! I'm dying!" Vargas yells.
The Master Sergeant replies "You ain't hit, the LT's hit, half his head's gone! Quit whining and get back on the fuckin' gun."
Despite being, as far as he knew, mortally wounded, Vargas got back on the Ma Deuce, and they made a tactical retreat.

When they got back to base, Vargas took off his jacket and a ball of silk around a 7.62 bullet fell out.

Silk is basically nature's Kevlar, Vargas took a 7.62x39 to the chest and walked away with a cracked sternum. The LT with half a head, that's injuries incompatible with life.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.
The New York Times magazine has a story about a hiker that went missing in Joshua Tree in 2010, and also weirdos like a lot of us who get borderline obsessed with things like that.

Re: "incompatible with life", when I was in medic training our instructor gave us an example from a wilderness SAR mission he'd been on. A guy had gone missing cross-country skiing in Alaska. They found him, eventually, but he was literally frozen solid slumped against a tree. They had to tie down the body in a seated position on the sledge and apparently it was a day or two before the body thawed enough to autopsy. Then there were also the photos of the guy who got sucked through a jet engine (it wasn't something my instructor had responded to; photos are out there if you want), in which case the recommended treatment is a strong stomach and a power washer.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TorpedoFish posted:

The New York Times magazine has a story about a hiker that went missing in Joshua Tree in 2010, and also weirdos like a lot of us who get borderline obsessed with things like that.

Re: "incompatible with life", when I was in medic training our instructor gave us an example from a wilderness SAR mission he'd been on. A guy had gone missing cross-country skiing in Alaska. They found him, eventually, but he was literally frozen solid slumped against a tree. They had to tie down the body in a seated position on the sledge and apparently it was a day or two before the body thawed enough to autopsy. Then there were also the photos of the guy who got sucked through a jet engine (it wasn't something my instructor had responded to; photos are out there if you want), in which case the recommended treatment is a strong stomach and a power washer.

Yeah or the honestly even more horrifying set of photos, of the guy who was hit by an aircraft on a carrier during takeoff. It impaled his head on... some? part of the aircraft and split it such that the head looks like some weird donut full of teeth.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's something weirdly fascinating about these diagrams and breakdowns about catastrophic events that lead to deaths, all presented realtively sanitised, in a way that horrible footage about the same event isn't. Maybe it's because the imagination is doing part of the work and it turns it into a short form horror story, except it actually happened.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Betting it's likely to get around laws regarding the sale of body parts, like how when you donate plasma, they're very careful to say that you're paid for your time, not for the plasma.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Azathoth posted:

Betting it's likely to get around laws regarding the sale of body parts, like how when you donate plasma, they're very careful to say that you're paid for your time, not for the plasma.

Is this how they get around paying more? Because isn't plasma like ~wildly~ profitable

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

There's something weirdly fascinating about these diagrams and breakdowns about catastrophic events that lead to deaths, all presented realtively sanitised, in a way that horrible footage about the same event isn't. Maybe it's because the imagination is doing part of the work and it turns it into a short form horror story, except it actually happened.

This is a classic example of that, real clinical breakdown of exactly how water wants to kill you and everyone who comes after you horribly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A good example of when the sustaining life blah blah part doesn't work would be a drowning victim

Life guards will give CPR and defib until the ambulance shows up and then the medics will keep doing that until the doctor finally says ok this body has been dead for the past half hour you can stop

It really sucks because it gives the family and friends false hope , in reality you're just practicing compressions on a corpse

Even had once where the stomach contents started to come up out of the mouth (scrambled eggs and roasted veggies) and the father got all excited because he thought it meant his son was alive and vomiting