Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hey, nerds, help me decide which of these look best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
#1 because the correct and good people read the forums at 90% zoom which fucks with the other 2.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Podima posted:

#1 because the correct and good people read the forums at 90% zoom which fucks with the other 2.

Maybe it's just my laptop (because it has a high DPI monitor?) but 90% is small as poo poo and hard to read. 100% is basically the exact same size as discord text.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
90% is how the forums looked before lowtax hosed with it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Save your money and keep the one you have that is still good

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How much of a dick move is it to have an insane cop in a game? What if it is a large, role madness game?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

How much of a dick move is it to have an insane cop in a game?
On a scale of 1 to 10? Two

middle fingers.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Mordiceius posted:

How much of a dick move is it to have an insane cop in a game? What if it is a large, role madness game?

Don’t make a large, role madness game.

Don’t have Insane Cops.

Roles and setups that give players sour grapes are bad roles and setups. My rule of thumb is that if I think of a role or a setup I’m designing and have an internal “heh” bubble up, it’s a bad role or setup.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Insane Cops are mostly ok if you specifically tell the player that their sanity is not guaranteed and flip them as Insane.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Podima posted:

Insane Cops are mostly ok if you specifically tell the player that their sanity is not guaranteed and flip them as Insane.

This. Or if it fits flavor. I think I remember an insane asylum game and I rolled cop. I immediately assumed it was useless.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
One insane cop per death miller.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Every game should have a dethy minigame embedded in it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wonder how it would be to have a game where every player had a standard win condition (eliminate Town threats/control the vote) as well as a secret win condition that could not be shared publicly in the game. If the player fulfilled their secret win condition, they would be removed from the game. This would continue until one of the main win conditions was achieved. Could this create interesting prisoners dilemma style situations or would it be a bust

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Mordiceius posted:

I wonder how it would be to have a game where every player had a standard win condition (eliminate Town threats/control the vote) as well as a secret win condition that could not be shared publicly in the game. If the player fulfilled their secret win condition, they would be removed from the game. This would continue until one of the main win conditions was achieved. Could this create interesting prisoners dilemma style situations or would it be a bust

correct me if i'm wrong but i assume this is half the point of pera's Myst/Riven games

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Monathin posted:

correct me if i'm wrong but i assume this is half the point of pera's Myst/Riven games

Ah. I haven’t read those at all. I heard Myst was good.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mordiceius posted:

Ah. I haven’t read those at all. I heard Myst was good.

MY FRIEND LET ME SHOW YOU THE WAY

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812854&userid=166831&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post472728051

This is a comic retelling of the Myst game, and is probably the best way to read it after the fact - the vast majority of it took place in a bajillion interwoven Discord channels.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Monathin posted:

"a" secret win condition?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
lol if you didn't immediately share all your wincons.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asiina posted:

radical transparency!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Asiina posted:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Let’s talk about an age old problem: lurkers. What do you all think is the best way to deal with them?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
replace anybody at any time

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Mordiceius posted:

Let’s talk about an age old problem: lurkers. What do you all think is the best way to deal with them?
Lynch them.

Replacement degrades game quality significantly.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Mordiceius posted:

Lurker guns are one of my favorite mechanics.

Free cuddles without ending the day on anyone flagged by the threads lurker rules is also good. I just find that sometimes those rules are too slow to trigger/too easy to game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Lumpen posted:

Lynch them.

Replacement degrades game quality significantly.

Couldn’t you consider lynching them to be a waste of a lynch? Very little information is gained by lynching lurkers.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

King Burgundy posted:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Couldn’t you consider lynching them to be a waste of a lynch? Very little information is gained by lynching lurkers.

everyone who plays this game is stupid so very little information is gained from lynching anyone

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

King Burgundy posted:

Lurker Guns/Free Dunks seem like the best way to handle that particular problem from what little I've seen.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah people say this so much but it isn't a convincing argument if you look closer.

First, the nature of the game gives Scum a strong motivation to lurk if they can get away with it, and this is perfectly fair. So Scum tend to lurk, and lynching a lurker benefots Town by either catching a Scum or reducing the Scums' ability to reap the many benefits of lurking. Every post is evidence, and every votecount tells a tale, there is plenty of information in EVERY lynch, from the process of getting it done. There is so much more than "what we now know from the dead guy's posts". There's no such thing as a "wasted lynch".

A lurker lynch also has the benefit of keeping active posters alive because every non-lurker lynch lynches a non-lurker! If you ask me, that is the greater waste. Active posters who love to keep posting will demonstrate their Towniness or gently caress up and expose their Scuminess in time, and a lurker will just continue to lurk until you have a lovely LYLO where the only living Town are the worst lurkers who were least engaged.

People imagine some ideal situation where they lynch a Scum who posted a lot and left a rich trail of evidence that points right at their Scumbuddies, but that doesn't really happen. Scum lurk, and they leave as little information behind as possible, and they bus and distance and leave behind all kinds of WIFOM anyway. That no-lurk Scum who leaves a lot of info to go on is a unicorn. And it wouldn't even be fun if that happened, really.

Lurking is a legitimate part of the challenge of the game.

As Town, your tools to combat lurking are to not lurk yourself, and to preferentially lynch all lurkers because you rationally understand how that policy helps Town win and helps games be more fun and compelling for everyone.

As Scum, you have a duty to pursue your win condition the best you can, and there is no shame in lurking as much as you can get away with. If that is effective, it's the Town's own dumb fault. Scum's chances of winning depend on poor play from Town players.

It is not the mod's job to dictate how people play the game, or save Town from themselves. The mod makes a balanced setup and then posts accurate flips. Replacement and modkilling or any kind of judgement call by the mod in the middle of the game is a corruption of the gamestate and degrades the quality of the game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My last day at work is Thursday, expect the greatest game of all time shortly after that, once the madness sets in

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

opopera

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

please

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's Opopera

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

OPOpERA

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thank you pMush

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Would anyone be down for a quick and dirty "Carly Rae Jepsen" small game?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

everyone who plays this game is stupid so very little information is gained from lynching anyone

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Lumpen posted:

Yeah people say this so much but it isn't a convincing argument if you look closer.

First, the nature of the game gives Scum a strong motivation to lurk if they can get away with it, and this is perfectly fair. So Scum tend to lurk, and lynching a lurker benefots Town by either catching a Scum or reducing the Scums' ability to reap the many benefits of lurking. Every post is evidence, and every votecount tells a tale, there is plenty of information in EVERY lynch, from the process of getting it done. There is so much more than "what we now know from the dead guy's posts". There's no such thing as a "wasted lynch".

A lurker lynch also has the benefit of keeping active posters alive because every non-lurker lynch lynches a non-lurker! If you ask me, that is the greater waste. Active posters who love to keep posting will demonstrate their Towniness or gently caress up and expose their Scuminess in time, and a lurker will just continue to lurk until you have a lovely LYLO where the only living Town are the worst lurkers who were least engaged.

People imagine some ideal situation where they lynch a Scum who posted a lot and left a rich trail of evidence that points right at their Scumbuddies, but that doesn't really happen. Scum lurk, and they leave as little information behind as possible, and they bus and distance and leave behind all kinds of WIFOM anyway. That no-lurk Scum who leaves a lot of info to go on is a unicorn. And it wouldn't even be fun if that happened, really.

Lurking is a legitimate part of the challenge of the game.

As Town, your tools to combat lurking are to not lurk yourself, and to preferentially lynch all lurkers because you rationally understand how that policy helps Town win and helps games be more fun and compelling for everyone.

As Scum, you have a duty to pursue your win condition the best you can, and there is no shame in lurking as much as you can get away with. If that is effective, it's the Town's own dumb fault. Scum's chances of winning depend on poor play from Town players.

It is not the mod's job to dictate how people play the game, or save Town from themselves. The mod makes a balanced setup and then posts accurate flips. Replacement and modkilling or any kind of judgement call by the mod in the middle of the game is a corruption of the gamestate and degrades the quality of the game.
I mean I don't disagree, lurking is a strategic decision sometimes. That doesn't mean it leads to fun games, either.

And there's really no cure for it without disrupting balance or game flow in some way. Replacing players leads to blank slates introduced mid-game that tend to either be given way too much slack or no chance at all to evade a lynch for reasons outside their control.

I like the idea listed earlier: lurker gun.

Give the 3/4 most active players all a proportional chance at a lurker gun each day (more active = higher odds). It can only be used on one of the least active 1/4 of the players, and no closer than 12 hours before deadline.

Encourages scum to post to avoid death. Scum posting results in higher chances of being detected by town, mitigating the inevitable townies getting shot. People getting shot leads to discussion and analysis.

Easier to deploy for larger games than small, for obvious balance reasons.

Only caveat is that mod needs to maintain discretion to ignore spamming for the sole purpose of gaming activity level.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
hey pander sign up for myst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'm planning to just set a minimum post limit (10•day #), 1 warning, then free lynches ahoy

this is for the much less stupid of the two games I'm intending to run at some point after myst ends

the other one is extremely newbie unfriendly and anyone playing will probably know exactly what they're getting into as I run winefia: three bottles in edition