Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

FreshFeesh posted:

omg. Post what happens please.

Haha. I promise I will! It'll take some work getting myself back in shape but this has become my "Get Better Goal" that will be my big exciting adventure after dealing with my illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Visited my folks and found out my stepdad is in remission from his lung cancer :woop: back in '14 he had to have a kidney removed due to a cancerous growth and the doctor found spots in his lungs that tested positive as the same kind of cancer. Took a couple different medications but now he's on one that's been working great, the spots in his lungs have shrunk to nearly nothing and no more cancer cells are popping up/growing anywhere.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Spinster posted:

omg. Post what happens please.

Well...

Solice Kirsk posted:

Had a date with a woman that I've basically loved for almost two decades. Everything went great (we've been friends the entire time), but when we kissed for the first time it felt really awkward and weird for me, and I just can't get past it. We tried a bit more, but it just felt like I was messing around with a relative or something. We're too good of friends to move forward, but she doesn't feel that way and still wants to pursue a romantic relationship. I think I'm hosed and not in a good way. She convinced me to give it one more shot, so we're hanging out again tomorrow, but I know myself very well and I'm going to be just as uncomfortable with any physical affection with her.

I've never had this happen before so it's really confusing and I'm too old for stupid poo poo like this. I'm pretty sure if we move forward with trying to sleep together tomorrow there's going to be no going back to being friends again. Then again I think that may have already happened the other night because no one likes hearing "this....this just isn't working" in the middle of going down on someone.

I'm gonna lose this friendship. I know it. I still don't know if it was worth taking the shot or not. Maybe I can convince her that this wasn't a good idea and we're too good of friends to ruin it by trying to force something.

Also, I didn't get a promotion I was up for, am being transferred to another location which means I have to start my book of business all over again, and one of my friends tried to kill himself (fourth time apparently wasn't a charm) with sleeping pills again. Just a lot of poo poo on my plate and I'm gonna have to eat it.

Bleh.

And I didn't go through with trying to sleep with her again. She's not too happy about any of this, but I think we'll be OK.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well...

And I didn't go through with trying to sleep with her again. She's not too happy about any of this, but I think we'll be OK.

Sorry to hear man :( have you tried to explain to her how you feel about it? I was in a similar boat over a decade ago, ran into a girl I'd been friends with since childhood and hadn't seen for about 12 years. Both our families were close, she's a gorgeous, smart girl with a great personality, but she went in for a kiss one night and it just felt...weird. Like you said, I felt like I was kissing my sister or something, and it was awkward, and she could tell. I was upfront with her about, told her I still loved and cared about her but we'd been close for so long that she felt more like family and I didn't want to screw that up by moving forward with something I wasn't cool with. She understood, was a little disappointed but we're still extremely close and both of us got past it and I think it made our friendship stronger knowing that we were honest and communicated like adults about it.

Good luck man, hope she understands and you can both stay close!

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Visited my folks and found out my stepdad is in remission from his lung cancer :woop: back in '14 he had to have a kidney removed due to a cancerous growth and the doctor found spots in his lungs that tested positive as the same kind of cancer. Took a couple different medications but now he's on one that's been working great, the spots in his lungs have shrunk to nearly nothing and no more cancer cells are popping up/growing anywhere.

Holy crap that’s awesome! Best wishes to you and your folks! Remission is such a weight off.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well...

Thanks for the info. Huh. You'd think you would know before if there was no way. The one guy I was friends with first (for around 5 years) it was really weird the first few times we kissed, I felt awkward and his lips were like cold :wth: BUT I powered through it because I knew he was a good guy and the awkwardness dissipated in around a week or two maybe. We had a decent 6 months until he went back to his wife and I made his life a living hell at work for another 6 months for that.

But this is the awesome day thread so good to hear the friendship may survive. Sorry about work, ughh.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Spinster posted:

Thanks for the info. Huh. You'd think you would know before if there was no way. The one guy I was friends with first (for around 5 years) it was really weird the first few times we kissed, I felt awkward and his lips were like cold :wth: BUT I powered through it because I knew he was a good guy and the awkwardness dissipated in around a week or two maybe. We had a decent 6 months until he went back to his wife and I made his life a living hell at work for another 6 months for that.

But this is the awesome day thread so good to hear the friendship may survive. Sorry about work, ughh.

Yeah, it kind of blindsided me too. My buddy from out of town surprised us and came into town today, so heading out on the city in a good old fashioned bender tonight! Going to a burlesque show and everything! Nothing can cheer someone up faster than a bunch of thick naked women!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Not exactly the same as you guys but I introduced some twitter guy to goatse and have never felt more powerful

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Got a gig as an educator in a geoscience showcase teaching kids and the public about local geology. I'm a huge nerd with regards to this topic so I'm pretty excited!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Not exactly the same as you guys but I introduced some twitter guy to goatse and have never felt more powerful

I introduced a naive coworker a month ago to goatse. Like all of us, he will always remember his first time seeing goatse. :3: A goon pointed it out that seeing it is no longer shocking but instead is like seeing an old friend.

E: The Story of My First Goatse Encounter.

Back in the day, I had a ton of different Geocities pages. Some were legit, and some were “[x] sucks.” One was Garbage [the band] sucks. In real life I loved Garbage but I decided to make this page anyways for some reason. Well, someone didn’t like me saying that Shirley Manson was a slut who made out with Courtney Love, so they posted goatse on my comments page. I remember recoiling in disgust/horror, especially since I was 13 at the time and wasn’t yet familiar with uh... eccentric people. I deleted the comment but never forgot the day I first met Goatse.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 15:07 on Mar 14, 2018

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was at work in a call center supervising a tech support team. One of them sent me a link and when I opened it in IE it exploded into about a hundred goatse windows. I had to turn the computer off to stop the goatsunami.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A podcast I really enjoy enjoy (History is Sexy) referenced me by name in their latest episode, and their next will be centered around a question I asked, both of which make me very excited after a long work week.

I'm taking the whole of next week off of work and will hopefully spend a truly inordinate amount of my vacation writing new content for either my book or my short story blog.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

NASA scientists wrote a paper about some of my acquaintances who are part of a local aurora enthusiast group I'm in. I'm so loving happy for them even though I'm kicking myself for not going to that particular meetup where they realized they discovered a whole new type of aurora.

http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/3/eaaq0030.full

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Last night I got to hang out with a really old friend that I haven't seen since he went to prison! It was like picking up right where we left off, no awkward reacquaintance stuff or anything like that. I missed him a lot more than I realized and I'm glad he's out and has settled down like the rest of us. My old group is starting to come back together, only older and calmer, and I loving love it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

NASA scientists wrote a paper about some of my acquaintances who are part of a local aurora enthusiast group I'm in. I'm so loving happy for them even though I'm kicking myself for not going to that particular meetup where they realized they discovered a whole new type of aurora.

http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/3/eaaq0030.full

That's really awesome! Steve must be absolutely beaming!

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Mar 18, 2018

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The notoriously DGAF folks at the police's Abandoned Vehicles desk finally put a big ol' neon green warning sticker on my neighbor's van, which hasn't moved since before Christmas.

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018
I went to a job interview that went well and I'll be making twice as much as I am now if I get it. Also took my dog to the park and hung out with some cool pups. Ate a delicious burger. Had a pretty awesome day.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
The second day of my vacation is going great – last night I played water polo for the first time in about 15 years, woke up not nearly as sore as I feared, and sat in an enclosed patio while pouring rain hammered the roof, writing and drinking hot cocoa.

Now I'm about to listen to a talk given by Capt. Scott Kelly (who spent 340 continuous days in space), which is really going to be a highlight of the week.

Today has been a really good day.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sounds like you are Doing It Right. :patriot:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Today I wrote a quick guide on how to explore the game of HackMud after the tutorial, and my little announcement on Twitter has garnered the attention and retweets of several of the developers, easily making it one of my most-viewed posts in just a few short hours.

That makes me feel really good about all of my writing in general, not only this one-off piece.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I took a really nice photo of a water dragon and a spider.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Megabound posted:

I took a really nice photo of a water dragon and a spider.

Post the photo if it's really nice!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Ok!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's cute now, but when it's full grown and eating sailboats... :krakken:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I like them!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Dick Trauma posted:

It's cute now, but when it's full grown and eating sailboats... :krakken:

I don't see the spider. :(

...Though I just now took a look around, so thanks, you've scared me into thinking there's an arachnid sneaking around here.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I ran 32,5 kms (20 miles) all at once, and it went way better than I was expecting :)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

I don't see the spider. :(

...Though I just now took a look around, so thanks, you've scared me into thinking there's an arachnid sneaking around here.

Near the centre of the image, just below the moss.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I accidentally bought the wrong version of a game on the PS4 store and their policy is “if it’s started downloading we can’t refund you” but the game auto downloaded (and I never finished the download, I immediately stopped it once I saw my mistake). Once I explained what happened the guy immediately issued me a refund, and was great about it, super professional but also really nice. I took their survey and said the guy was awesome. I am VERY VERY satisfied with my experience with PS4 support. Probably the best experience I’ve had with customer support ever. I made sure to tell the guy that he’s awesome too cause I’m sure he gets a lot of angry losers yelling (via text) so hopefully I helped him not want to die, cause from experience I know working in customer support sucks but this was really good and I’m happy now :unsmith:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Thin Privilege posted:

I accidentally bought the wrong version of a game on the PS4 store and their policy is “if it’s started downloading we can’t refund you” but the game auto downloaded (and I never finished the download, I immediately stopped it once I saw my mistake). Once I explained what happened the guy immediately issued me a refund, and was great about it, super professional but also really nice. I took their survey and said the guy was awesome. I am VERY VERY satisfied with my experience with PS4 support. Probably the best experience I’ve had with customer support ever. I made sure to tell the guy that he’s awesome too cause I’m sure he gets a lot of angry losers yelling (via text) so hopefully I helped him not want to die, cause from experience I know working in customer support sucks but this was really good and I’m happy now :unsmith:

If his KPIs are like mine, he'll get an increase to his bonus for good feedback, if that helps. :yayclod:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Megabound posted:

Near the centre of the image, just below the moss.

Neat picture!

What a horrifying little creature.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Every few days I post a few pages of fiction content on my personal blog, usually centered around a few ongoing story arcs. At this point I've written enough content that I have regular posts scheduled all the way through April of 2019, and while I never expected to have that kind of volume, I realized recently that one of my story arcs (one that hasn't even started posting) has crossed the 100 page mark and is looking a lot more like a cohesive novella than a simple collection of blog posts.

This evening I tracked down the Media Contact for the company whose IP the story takes place in and nerve-wrackingly wrote them to introduce myself and the idea of working with them to write a full-fledged novel in that universe. I'm trying not to expect the world, but I think I'd be happy with a personalized response of any kind. I think the fact that I a) have created the content at all, and b) actually took steps to try and get it released into the wild, show a lot of growth from where I was just a few months ago.

Now I'm filled with anxious energy and can't fall asleep, but I feel like today was a really big step forward, and something I hope I can build on.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Intoluene posted:

If his KPIs are like mine, he'll get an increase to his bonus for good feedback, if that helps. :yayclod:

:unsmith: :unsmith:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

One of my favourite national parks shared a photo I took of my hand with a rock.

And since I requested someone else post their photo, here's mine.

I took it at the Mt. Stephen trilobite bed in Yoho National Park.

AClockworkStarfish
Sep 2, 2006

sorry, wrong hole.
Today I got two of my homeless clients matched up with a subsidized housing voucher.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

AClockworkStarfish posted:

Today I got two of my homeless clients matched up with a subsidized housing voucher.

That’s what’s up :boom:

People making a difference are the best news of any day :3:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Last night I got to go petsit for my cousin. Her male cat purred the entire time and came up in my lap then crawled up onto my chest for pets. I didn't even react to him like I usually would. (I'm majorly allergic. Could be why my throat is sore today, but so worth it.)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My legs are hella sore but getting back into walking my patrols at work isn't nearly as hard as I was afraid it would be, even adding that now I have to go up and down like 4 sets of stairs each time.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Today I watched a bunch of old Simpsons episodes, and I smiled and laughed a lot :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I ate too much wonderful Easter dinner. So full if good food.

Edit: Just found out I'm going to be an auntie!

SulfurMonoxideCute has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Apr 2, 2018