Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

pmchem posted:

Someone in TFF complained that SlingTV redzone constantly went SD (sub-HD) quality or was a number of seconds behind the broadcast feed. Anyone here have experience with it to comment?

My sling quality was always dependent on my connection, so if your internet is stable you'll be fine. It is definitely delayed. I was watching in a bar at an airport and my wife watching at home was about ten to fifteen seconds slower. Vikings touchdown over saints was hilarious based on our chats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Yttv was not going being 480p for me for the trial but immediately worked once I was in the first month, except on my PC monitor which is connected with DVI. Try calling them I guess?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used red zone on sling last year and never had a problem always HD on WiFi.

I swapped to DirecTVNow though because of that Apple TV and eventual ATT unlimited discount. My only complaint is I guess they have 0 rights for any locals so I get none. Is there a way to spoof my location?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Empress Brosephine posted:

I used red zone on sling last year and never had a problem always HD on WiFi.

I swapped to DirecTVNow though because of that Apple TV and eventual ATT unlimited discount. My only complaint is I guess they have 0 rights for any locals so I get none. Is there a way to spoof my location?

Pretty sure they give you locals based on your billing location, so it's not likely.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sucks.. Thanks for the help anywasys.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I bought a Roku Express+ for the heck of it. Hooked it up to my second monitor and installed the Youtube TV and Youtube app. The Roku in settings tells me its in 1080p and that hdcp is supported. When I go into either Youtube app and watch a vid, it'll stream the vid at 1080 but the display viewport is set to 720. Not sure what is going on here and the other apps I have on it don't show the actual display setting res.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

phosdex posted:

I bought a Roku Express+ for the heck of it. Hooked it up to my second monitor and installed the Youtube TV and Youtube app. The Roku in settings tells me its in 1080p and that hdcp is supported. When I go into either Youtube app and watch a vid, it'll stream the vid at 1080 but the display viewport is set to 720. Not sure what is going on here and the other apps I have on it don't show the actual display setting res.

My older Roku did this (and Fire TV before the troubles). Seems to me YouTube sets profiles based on the hardware that's being used. I get full 1080p viewport with 60fps on supported videos on my Shield TV without issue.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We got DirecTV Now mainly for the discount Apple TV 4K and I am amazed they don’t have DVR capability. Not even pausing of live TV. It fees like a real step backwards from cable. OTOH the picture quality definitely feels better than our cable.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

smackfu posted:

We got DirecTV Now mainly for the discount Apple TV 4K and I am amazed they don’t have DVR capability. Not even pausing of live TV. It fees like a real step backwards from cable. OTOH the picture quality definitely feels better than our cable.

It's been in beta and apparently it's coming.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I wonder what the hold up is. It was supposed to be out this winter. Now they're saying spring, but no firm date.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

smackfu posted:

When I (briefly) tried DTV Now, I was able to pause live TV. Hopefully it's not a channel-specific thing.

e: should note that I couldn't fast-forward or rewind live TV though.

astral fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 25, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I wonder what the hold up is. It was supposed to be out this winter. Now they're saying spring, but no firm date.

It’s still real buggy. I’ve been in the beta since January. They just added DVR to the Roku app last week.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

astral posted:

When I (briefly) tried DTV Now, I was able to pause live TV. Hopefully it's not a channel-specific thing.

Yeah I suppose technically it pauses in the sense of freezing the screen and muting. But when you resume it goes to the current position, not back where you paused it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FCKGW posted:

It’s still real buggy. I’ve been in the beta since January. They just added DVR to the Roku app last week.

I just installed this on my Roku TV and the app is really unresponsive and choppy.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm in the beta and viewing DVR'd things on the Chromecast is impossible due to the constant buffering.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

So what is DTV Now doing right that keeps you guys using it? A dvr function for me is a must, YTTV has got the best dvr it seems (although 9 month max could be problematic for some). But the ui isn't very good overall.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Im still on the $35 promo, HBO is only $5 instead of $15 everywhere else, and I have Usenet so DVR isn’t really important to me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

phosdex posted:

So what is DTV Now doing right that keeps you guys using it? A dvr function for me is a must, YTTV has got the best dvr it seems (although 9 month max could be problematic for some). But the ui isn't very good overall.

If you have an ATT cell plan, you get a hefty discount on it. The TV provider login covers a lot of stuff (pretty much everything except for Turner owned stations)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

phosdex posted:

So what is DTV Now doing right that keeps you guys using it?

I honestly rarely use their actual app at all, I keep it because it's a $35 pass to all the networks' "tv anywhere" apps.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Yttv lets me use the provider login for everything except Turner stuff. But whats actually available on those apps I guess must be determined by your provider and through yttv you don't get access to much. For Fox Sports it flat out doesn't recognize that I have Fox Sports North or North+, which are really the primary things I would want (hockey mostly). It only thinks I have FS1/2.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

About two weeks ago, Hulu sent me a MASSIVE survey about the Live TV product. It covered like nine different combos of channel lineups, DVR capabilities, and pricing.

Some of the channel lineups they gave me included Viacom stations like Comedy Central, so they must be exploring the option of adding them. Some of the DVR options included having commercial skip in the base DVR or giving the option of premium DVR at a much lower price point.

I made sure to say "yes, I would subscribe" to any combination that included Viacom, had commercial skip in DVR, had no commerical option for regular Hulu, and had a sub $45 price.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'd be pissed if Hulu every dropped their ad free plan. Being without ads for over a year makes me irrationally angry when I do see the rare one.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I'd already be subscribed to Hulu Live if they'd add support for Android TV. Not having it in the app on the Shield is a deal breaker. We already have Hulu no commercials, so I'd rather add that than Sling.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

phosdex posted:

If they can get the DVR functionality out and good (from what I've read in the beta it's pretty janky), it has 100% the channel line up and device compatibility that I need, just no DVR is a deal breaker :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DTVN is still the cheapest for the channels I want. I don't give a gently caress about DVR since I only really use it for live sports, anyway.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

AT&T co-owns my RSN, so I figure if it ever gets on a streaming service, it'll be DTVN.

Not that it should count for anything, but I did a chat with a rep just as a "Hey, I know you don't make programming decisions, but could you formally note that I want ROOT Sports NW." and instead of a generic "We're always looking for new additions to our lineup", they said "I can assure you we will be updating all RSNs in all areas soon, you will receive an email when it is available."

So, I guess I'm just holding out for that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

phosdex posted:

They're the only game in town that offers MSG Networks (A regional sports network in NY) and my family are huge Rangers fans sooooo yeah.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They're the only game in town that offers MSG Networks (A regional sports network in NY) and my family are huge Rangers fans sooooo yeah.

The problem is a lot of times its a jumbled pixelated mess and I can get better quality form 3rd party sources. I'm really thinking about going back to Sling. Or trying something else.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I know Fubo carries MSG though they don’t have ABC so it’d be a hard sell in my household.

I might be cutting the (TV) cord in the fall when my triple play contract ends with Fios. The problem is the main TV in the house is a component only set with a Xbox 360 meaning Hulu would be the only option. Does anyone know how good the live TV package is?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Matt Zerella posted:

The problem is a lot of times its a jumbled pixelated mess and I can get better quality form 3rd party sources. I'm really thinking about going back to Sling. Or trying something else.

Been pretty rock solid on the Roku's in the house running on 100/100 FIOS. Funny thing is though if you try to chromecast MSG it's disaster. Weird.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just got a beta invite for some sort of streaming TV service but solely dedicated to sports, no original programming or traditional channels.

Interesting concept, hope I can get on the beta and check it out.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I guess its rolling out in waves but YTTV let's you rearrange your guide and hide channels you aren't interested in now. Wasn't showing on the web version for me but checked ios app and it was there. Once I made a change in that, the options now show up in web for me.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

phosdex posted:

I guess its rolling out in waves but YTTV let's you rearrange your guide and hide channels you aren't interested in now. Wasn't showing on the web version for me but checked ios app and it was there. Once I made a change in that, the options now show up in web for me.

YES.

Feels good to omit Fox News finally.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 28, 2018

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

And now YTTV has fixed hdcp problems for people with external monitors. Can stream in HD now!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I can't really decide on which TV service to go with. DTV has the free Apple4K so I guess I will try them. Plus HBO for $5/month is pretty nice.
Does DTVNow have a decent OnDemand selection?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

OnDemand is anemic and their DVR service hasn’t been released publicly yet (its still in beta)

As a pure streaming service it’s great but for on demand stuff you may be disappointed.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I've been having major issues with DTVN not being a blocky piece of poo poo for the NHL playoffs and had problems with MSG all year.

Also the way they insert ads into on demand is slow as poo poo and terrible.

They're not bad for most stuff but if you want to watch anything that's popular live, it's kind of terrible. I had a better experience with Sling.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Alpha Mayo posted:

I can't really decide on which TV service to go with. DTV has the free Apple4K so I guess I will try them. Plus HBO for $5/month is pretty nice.
Does DTVNow have a decent OnDemand selection?

You can use the log on to log into a lot of apps. Over 55 now. So you can kind of use that as on demand. It’s what I do and it works ok.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Heads up, recent DTVN app update on Amazon platforms has made the FireTV first gen and first gen stick incompatible with the service. Based on the email I got it sounds like a joint venture between directvNow and Amazon to push people to upgrade their older models as it came with a $10 discount on a new Firetv. Sadly the original FireTV (box) ran the service flawlessly so it seemed like a stupid change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dorectvnow barely working for anyone else right now? I have channels with no sound etc