Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Morter posted:

No you fool...

You ARE the cops!! :siren:

Ye but I'm a coomunist cop (the good kind) so I'm here to kill the evil cops

Real talk tho can we VPN through with a Steam preorder?? I dont' care which cops kill which honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
I can't get onto an australian vpn for some reason, ist it out in Japan yet?
Edit: no it's not apparently

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 26, 2018

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Is Far Cry 4 worth it as a hold over till Far Cry 5 goes on sale? Looking to do some COOP with the wife.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Burning_Monk posted:

Is Far Cry 4 worth it as a hold over till Far Cry 5 goes on sale? Looking to do some COOP with the wife.

Far Cry 4 is very good imo. I cannot speak as to its coop though.

I had my wife play it to see if we should get a second copy of FC5 so we could play co-op together. She ended up playing til 1am last night.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

shortspecialbus posted:

Far Cry 4 is very good imo. I cannot speak as to its coop though.

I had my wife play it to see if we should get a second copy of FC5 so we could play co-op together. She ended up playing til 1am last night.

Great, I'll try it out. Thanks!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

waypoint wrote a bunch are articles about how "annoyed" they were that they weren't able to shoot Chuds and poo poo even though the game never made that case. that article says more about austin walker(who i usually like) then it does about far cry 5. he wanted it to be The New Colossus/mafia 3 but with trumpists and it wasn't'. so he is irritated about it.

That's really disappointing, but also not entirely surprising given "we're woke gamers, RESIST" is kinda Waypoint's whole gimmick.

GiantBomb streamed a bunch last Friday and I'm pretty drat excited to play this.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

That's really disappointing, but also not entirely surprising given "we're woke gamers, RESIST" is kinda Waypoint's whole gimmick.

Speaking of woke gamers

https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/26/17164878/far-cry-5-review-ps4-pc-xbox-one

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"Ben Kuchera"

lol no loving thank you.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's a good review. Pretty much the game is good, the story sucks. The devs had the chance to tell an interesting topical story and instead went with action schlock.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

GiantBomb streamed a bunch last Friday and I'm pretty drat excited to play this.

i want to like waypoint because they do interesting stuff sometimes, but they have become dumb and awful of late. Woke journos suck rear end because they are usualy really bad at either explaining their points and or coming off as angry shitheads because the game didn't pass their moving goal line. they think every game should be some art house master piece if it every has any kind of controversial aspect to it.

jesus christ. the wokes journos really hated a game because it didnt suck em off. who'd thunk it. also they are mad that the game has humor. because every far cry game has been some super serious deal. loving jack asses.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's a good review. Pretty much the game is good, the story sucks. The devs had the chance to tell an interesting topical story and instead went with action schlock.

I come to Far Cry for action schlock. Do people actually want or expect Far Cry to comment on social problems?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DO IT TO IT posted:

I come to Far Cry for action schlock. Do people actually want or expect Far Cry to comment on social problems?

they did because they are morons. they are mad that its not some giant hot take on president pissbrain and his base.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 26, 2018

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I feel like "A horrible story in an enjoyable world" could be a tagline to pretty much any Ubisoft property.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sedisp posted:

I feel like "A horrible story in an enjoyable world" could be a tagline to pretty much any Ubisoft property.

assassins creed has had some goodish stories, i liked origins alot.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

assassins creed has had some goodish stories, i liked origins alot.

Origins has been okay in so much as Bayek is great but the second they start trying to tell the meta narrative of those games...

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Burning_Monk posted:

Just to maybe add onto what's been said: Far Cry 4 is indeed really good, but I don't think you can do any story mission in co-op. You can run around, take over outposts and everything else, just not story missions.

Still a very good game and a good co-op experience, but you might have to play single-player every once in a while to progress the (bad) story.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sedisp posted:

Origins has been okay in so much as Bayek is great but the second they start trying to tell the meta narrative of those games...

good point. the personal story of bayek the super sheriff and his wife is good and i love the setting. i wish their had been more stuff with caesar and cleopatra and the war but whatever. its works over all.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

DO IT TO IT posted:

It's a missed opportunity. I can see how they could have done it, but they didn't do it. I can see why they didn't do it, y'know, social/political commentary in the modern age is a loving quagmire, but I'm still disappointed.

Gumball Gumption posted:

The Eurogamer review gave the impression that a big part of the story sucking comes from the conflict between gameplay and narrative. Someone in there clearly wanted to write serious things about cults, but the Far Cry Action Schlock™ alternates between getting in the way, breaking the tone, or simply not doing that at all. You have all these cultists, good, red-blooded American people :patriot: willing to die in the hundreds for this Joeseph Seed guy and their "family", and they bring in actual subject matter experts to inform the process, but the only explanation they give you is "lmoa drugs and hypnosis :^)". What a waste.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The only far cry plot factor I remember is burning some weed fields in fact I think that’s gameplay so

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

It's a missed opportunity. I can see how they could have done it, but they didn't do it. I can see why they didn't do it, y'know, social/political commentary in the modern age is a loving quagmire, but I'm still disappointed.

The Eurogamer review gave the impression that a big part of the story sucking comes from the conflict between gameplay and narrative. Someone in there clearly wanted to write serious things about cults, but the Far Cry Action Schlock™ alternates between getting in the way, breaking the tone, or simply not doing that at all. You have all these cultists, good, red-blooded American people :patriot: willing to die for this Joeseph Seed guy and their "family", and they bring in actual subject matter experts to inform the process, but the only explanation they give you is "lmoa drugs and hypnosis :^)". What a waste.

i can to an extent agree. like i think far cry 2 handles its subjects pretty loving well, but i doubt kuchera and friends would like that game either if it were released now a days. my point is they were expecting wolfenstien the new colossus level depth and story about the evil rural trumpists militias and what they got is a loving far cry game about cults and with attack bears and crazy poo poo, like every other far cry game since 3 because the game never promised the former.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CordlessPen posted:

Just to maybe add onto what's been said: Far Cry 4 is indeed really good, but I don't think you can do any story mission in co-op. You can run around, take over outposts and everything else, just not story missions.

Still a very good game and a good co-op experience, but you might have to play single-player every once in a while to progress the (bad) story.

Apparently it'll be similar in FC5, you can play the whole game in co op but only the hosting player gets the story advances. If two people played the game for the first five hours, the joining player will start back at the beginning when they started their own game.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i can to an extent agree. like i think far cry 2 handles its subjects pretty loving well, but i doubt kuchera and friends would like that game either if it were released now a days. my point is they were expecting wolfenstien the new colossus level depth and story about the evil rural trumpists militias and what they got is a loving far cry game about cults and with attack bears and crazy poo poo, like every other far cry game since 3 because the game never promised the former.

His issue doesn't seem to be that but with Ubisoft making a game that uses politically charged imagery to sell their game but backs down from actually saying anything about it.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 26, 2018

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i can to an extent agree. like i think far cry 2 handles its subjects pretty loving well, but i doubt kuchera and friends would like that game either if it were released now a days. my point is they were expecting wolfenstien the new colossus level depth and story about the evil rural trumpists militiasn and what they got is a loving far cry game about cults and with attack bears and crazy poo poo, like every other far cry game since 3.

I just wanted depth and story about christian ISIS. Or just lean into the schlock and don't try to pretend you're saying something. One or the other not both.

I really don't care if piss baby pres is ever mentioned in game tbh.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah that's what I was on about with the whole gameplay/narrative thing. You can't really do "serious poo poo" story and "attack bears" gameplay at the same time, it clashes. Take Wolfenstein, both the gameplay-nazis and the story-nazis are over the top comedic villains, !!jewishNAZI SUPERSCIENCE!! and all. There's certainly a place for this kind of serious story about cults but man, it ain't modern far cry.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sedisp posted:

I just wanted depth and story about christian ISIS. Or just lean into the schlock and don't try to pretend you're saying something. One or the other not both.

I really don't care if piss baby pres is ever mentioned in game tbh.

oh i didnt mean anything offense toward, but yeah i can agree with that. i guess i'll see how i feel once i play it.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Sedisp posted:

I just wanted depth and story about christian ISIS

Black-clad religious fundamentalist types running around the countryside, brandishing weapons, proclaiming their faith in GOD!! and demanding that everyone stop having fun right now? Try a historical novel featuring Martin Luther and Jean Calvin. :smug:

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 26, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah that's what I was on about with the whole gameplay/narrative thing. You can't really do "serious poo poo" story and "attack bears" gameplay at the same time, it clashes. Take Wolfenstein, both the gameplay-nazis and the story-nazis are over the top comedic villains, !!jewishNAZI SUPERSCIENCE!! and all. There's certainly a place for this kind of serious story about cults but man, it ain't modern far cry.

there is some game coming out about a jones town type cult. its some isometric type deal.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/339830/The_Church_in_the_Darkness/

its hitting pc and consoles at some point.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This game has a really nice soundtrack.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Black-clad religious fundamentalist types running around the countryside, brandishing weapons, proclaiming their faith in GOD!! and demanding that everyone stop having fun right now? Try a historical novel featuring Martin Luther and Jean Calvin. :smug:

It's baffling that an rear end creed game has punched a pope but not Martin Luther.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

This game has a really nice soundtrack.

better the mafia 3?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

there is some game coming out about a jones town type cult. its some isometric type deal.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/339830/The_Church_in_the_Darkness/

its hitting pc and consoles at some point.

That looks pretty cool. Hopefully it doesn’t go and turn into a wet fart like a lot of games with nifty concepts do.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sedisp posted:

It's baffling that an rear end creed game has punched a pope but not Martin Luther.

they havent made one in that type period yet. but borgia was pretty lovely pope.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dapper_Swindler posted:

better the mafia 3?

Never played Mafia 3, might have to check the OST for that out as well if you recommend it.

But yeah, this game, nice OST. Case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_E_NB1POuA

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Never played Mafia 3, might have to check the OST for that out as well if you recommend it.

But yeah, this game, nice OST. Case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_E_NB1POuA

i bought that. its catchy as gently caress. mafia 3 has like 70 or so licensed songs form the 60s and they are all great.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the only story beats I cared about in Far Cry 4 were the moments with Pagan Min and the exhaustively interesting "Kyrat Guide" which had really amusing writing about the wildlife and characters therein. Everything else was pretty much adequate and I did like how you were forced to confront how both factions helping you out were very lovely in their own ways. I'm hoping FC5 at least has some kind of triangle of mistrust as well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

the only story beats I cared about in Far Cry 4 were the moments with Pagan Min and the exhaustively interesting "Kyrat Guide" which had really amusing writing about the wildlife and characters therein. Everything else was pretty much adequate and I did like how you were forced to confront how both factions helping you out were very lovely in their own ways. I'm hoping FC5 at least has some kind of triangle of mistrust as well.

apparently it sorta does, which pissed off the polygon dude.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i bought that. its catchy as gently caress. mafia 3 has like 70 or so licensed songs form the 60s and they are all great.

The non-licensed music is pretty fantastic too.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they havent made one in that type period yet. but borgia was pretty lovely pope.

Nah they've done it in that time period, it's called Revelations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pylons posted:

The non-licensed music is pretty fantastic too.

yeah. honestly mafia 3 is good game in my books. yeah its respective but the shooting and slow dismantling of the mafia hits all the pleasure buttons in my brain. plus the story is great and the handle the racist poo poo great.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

Nah they've done it in that time period, it's called Revelations.

heh, your right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. honestly mafia 3 is good game in my books. yeah its respective but the shooting and slow dismantling of the mafia hits all the pleasure buttons in my brain. plus the story is great and the handle the racist poo poo great.

I definitely enjoyed it, but it's the most open-world-rear end open world game ever. It probably would've done better if they'd just made the rest of the game like the opening.