Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
That’s the old version. The new ones have a very different-looking lumbar support mechanism.

The old Aeron isn’t a bad chair, there are just better chairs made nowadays. The main issues people have with it are that the arms aren’t particularly adjustable, the front ridge digs into the bottom of the thighs, and the pellicle fabric can grate away the fork of your trousers if you move about on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

DoctorTristan posted:

That’s the old version. The new ones have a very different-looking lumbar support mechanism.

The old Aeron isn’t a bad chair, there are just better chairs made nowadays. The main issues people have with it are that the arms aren’t particularly adjustable, the front ridge digs into the bottom of the thighs, and the pellicle fabric can grate away the fork of your trousers if you move about on it.
I haven't had any of those problems with mine or the ones I've used at work (all of which appear to be the old version) but one problem I do have with my chair at home is that it makes these loud noises when shifting around in it (sitting, standing, re-positioning). I've tightened everything I can find and I have no idea what is causing it but you can hear it throughout the house when it happens. Not sure how to describe the noise, almost like a pop but more metal-y.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

DoctorTristan posted:

I'm actually looking to replace an old aeron. Suggestions that won't break my wallet?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Deviant posted:

I'm actually looking to replace an old aeron. Suggestions that won't break my wallet?

Herman Miller Mirra

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Coredump posted:

Herman Miller Mirra

Why is that better?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

LionArcher posted:

Why is that better?

The back is a million times better and the seat suspension is better in that there's not a ring of plastic all the way around it that reduces the effectiveness of the mesh. I say this as someone who has both an Aeron and a Mirra. I don't regret buying my Aeron new, but the next chair I'ma get is going to be either a Sayl or a Mirra because of the back design/material and superior lumbar support (I have the old version with the lovely plastic bumper rather than "real" lumbar support.)

edit: I much prefer the Aeron armrests, though.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

How can I tell if it's an old version?
This is what the seller has posted and it looks fairly similar to the one I have at work. (Lumbar support looks different.) Offering it at 400$ which is why I'm interested.

We have those at work - they are nasty.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

We have those at work - they are nasty.

So do we and they are extremely bad

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I really like the Steelcase Leap. I use one at work and it's just dandy.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

canyoneer posted:

I really like the Steelcase Leap. I use one at work and it's just dandy.

I have a leap. I couldn't resist the one they have in their marketing photos with the brushed metal base and orange-red color. I love it. 10 years of everyday use and there is no noticeable wear.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Upgraded from my hosed screen iMac.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

benisntfunny posted:

Nice setup... are those acoustic panels behind your monitors? Do they make any difference?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Spyde posted:

Nice setup... are those acoustic panels behind your monitors? Do they make any difference?

Yes and yes. Just cheap like $24 worth of panels from amazon.

Though they made a bigger difference when I had 2 iMacs sitting on the desk with louder fans. iMac Pro is basically silent so I have less computer noise bouncing off the wall.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone know how to raise your Ergotech Freedom arm post-installation? I've tried loosening all the screws but nothing happens when I try to pull up the arm, and the manual is useless to say the least.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Tedronai66 posted:

The only wobble I get is from the desk being on plush carpet. I have to push pretty hard as well.

I ordered this over the vivo because it had a higher weight rating for about the same cost, and I tend to lean on my desk a lot.

That stain job is beautiful. That would make an awesome desk.

In process, the underside of one of them. On the left is stained, on the right is not yet stained (I am finishing 3 total)

These really look great as tabletops for $80 plus some garage time.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
How big are those?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Jack Forge posted:

How big are those?

It's the Ikea Gerton tabletop at a cool $90.
They are 61 inches by 29.5 inches.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

canyoneer posted:

It's the Ikea Gerton tabletop at a cool $90.
They are 61 inches by 29.5 inches.

my ikea tables are usually £6 with legs @ £10 each

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
They are solid beech, not the normal vinyl + cardboard ikea special

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

canyoneer posted:

In process, the underside of one of them. On the left is stained, on the right is not yet stained (I am finishing 3 total)

I used two of these for at least 5 years. I replaced the main one ultimately though, as it was beginning to show some serious wear and tear from assorted spills and just leaning on it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Nephzinho posted:

I used two of these for at least 5 years. I replaced the main one ultimately though, as it was beginning to show some serious wear and tear from assorted spills and just leaning on it.

How did you finish them?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

canyoneer posted:

How did you finish them?

Yeah they're naked wood from IKEA iirc, if you don't at least put some kind of sealer on them, just the oils from your hands/arm will make them look grooosssss in no time.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I hadn't finished them, hence them turning to poo poo after a few years.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

My posting station complete. Really pleased with how the table turned out, so I promptly covered it all in computers.
Also, cable management is for dorks.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

canyoneer posted:

Shame they don't make the Hammarp in Birch anymore, it was what I was wanting that wood looks so nice.

Violator
May 15, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

What second monitor are you using? I've been thinking about adding another one to my iMac 5k but have just started my research.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

benisntfunny posted:

Ughhhh all of your pictures you've ever posted has always made me insanely envious. It's exactly how I've always wanted my set up to me. I love that table so much.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Violator posted:

What second monitor are you using? I've been thinking about adding another one to my iMac 5k but have just started my research.

Older dell monitor. I hope Apple comes out with a 5k space grey matching display for iMac pro

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P0EQD1Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Apple got out of the display business a few years ago. I believe they recommend the LG version in all their official docs.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Cobalt Viper posted:

Apple got out of the display business a few years ago. I believe they recommend the LG version in all their official docs.

I’m pretty sure they announced through the press that they’ll be releasing a new monitor when they release the new Mac Pro sometime this year since the LG’s has so many issues.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Violator posted:

I’m pretty sure they announced through the press that they’ll be releasing a new monitor when they release the new Mac Pro sometime this year since the LG’s has so many issues.

It's not because it has (had) issues, the 5k LG was always only meant as a stopgap until they "make" a new one (or they instead of LG print their name on what Foxconn produces, since the panels are LG's regardless) for the redesigned Mac Pros that are supposed to be released sometime in the next 12 months.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Really enjoying having an extra room to put my juvenile nerd stuff in.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Ya I’m not buying that ugly LG for anything more than $300. So I’m not buying it.

As someone said Apple did announce they would have a display again when Mac Pros arrived. Hopefully we see a little preview at WWDC... hopefully, which means we won’t. Anyway dell works for now even though I scratched it right in the middle with the side of that iMac when I was mounting it. A little chapstick hides the scratch but I’ve ruined any chance to sell it.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Finishing up the extra garage/computer room, need some better cable management. And yeah, the aeron chairs are not good, at least my vintage

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Finished setting this up today. Finally have a nice, sturdy desk with plenty of storage. Only thing left that I want is to replace the monitor stand with an arm.

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
I loving love those posters. Where'd you get them?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

You can get them for free courtesy of the JPL:

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/visions-of-the-future/

You'll have to print them yourself though.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

Shanghaied posted:

You can get them for free courtesy of the JPL:

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/visions-of-the-future/

You'll have to print them yourself though.

Shortrun Posters will print them for $2.50 a piece at that 12"x18" size. That's where I got them. But like Shangaied said, the images are free so you can get them printed anywhere and at any size you want.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Why did you cram all of the posters into that one space? It looks like your wall affords way more spacing than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Why did you cram all of the posters into that one space? It looks like your wall affords way more spacing than that.

Its not totally clear in the image, but the top posters are pretty close to the ceiling. I might end up pushing the side posters further apart eventually, though.