Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Ex raid mechanics working as intended:.

Friend of mine visited from middle of nowhere, where he gets little opportunity to raid at all, and those are just solo attempts at lv 2 or 1. Took him last weekend with the laid back raid train that runs in my area (parents with reasonably well behaved kids, goons with at least minimal social skills, etc).

Not only did he go 3/3 on lugia, but his kid got his first legendary ever. No shinies, but he told me he got an ex pass for this Friday. My kid and I have ours there too, and I have a spare device, so I can probably raid it for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
7 shiny Bulba. 500k XP.

A friend of mine hit the jackpot and got a hundo shiny Lugia yesterday.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was actually impressed overall with the event, mainly because they improved the rate at which Bulbasaur is caught at. Otherwise I would have probably given up after chucking all my ultra balls.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I just want people to figure a workaround on the new API so I can use things that tell me IVs en masse and clear some space. :(

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Willsun posted:

I just want people to figure a workaround on the new API so I can use things that tell me IVs en masse and clear some space. :(

just get calcyIV and put on a podcast or something

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Willsun posted:

Wait, what tool do you use if not CalcyIV or Poke Genie?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Well, crap.

I was expecting something like last spring - you know, where Chanseys, Larvitars, and Dratini were hatching from all the 2k eggs.

I've gotten 1 chansey and 2 Snorlax from the 2k eggs. Also 3 dratini and a whole host of barboach. I'm pretty happy having both genders of Azurill and Wynaut. I just wish one of my many babies were shiny. Already hatched multiple Pichu as well. :(

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Wait, what tool do you use if not CalcyIV or Poke Genie?

IV Go was what I used, it showed you the stats of every pokemon you had, really hope that comes back soon.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Missions and Mew on the way. Looks like it might be interesting.
https://pokemongolive.com/post/research/

Ziddar fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 26, 2018

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yep, it starts on the 30th.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Daily missions sounds pretty cool, or even weekly ones. Making it individual and not having to rely on others to get Mew would be cool for a change.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I see another source for rare candy!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sounds like it opens up a new way to catch a legendary that doesn’t involve raiding, not just for Mew.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

All those rewards sound better than those worthless upgrade evolves you get for spinning pokestops on tge 7th day.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hey this kinda stuff is Birch's role, you copying motherfucker.

Also finally, something that isn't Raids.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
I was only able to get out for about 90 minutes, but I loved Community Day. Our main park had lures all over it. I caught like 30 Bublas, and evolved two up to Venusaur (one of which was my starter buddy, who learned Frenzy Plant). Caught a shiny Bulba. The park was also a Wooper nest, so I caught about 20 of those too. Hatched a Larvitar and it got me up to 100 candies! Loved the event!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Hit up local park, passed out Pokemon stickers to everyone I saw playing, did two raids and got a shiny Lugia (gently caress yes) and left with a shiny Bulba, Ivy, and Venusaur.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I stayed at home and caught the one Bulba that spawned on my house.

10/10, would do event again for poke that's been in the game almost 2 years.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Catch a Dragon-type Pokémon.

Yes, be back in 3 months.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Yeah I thought that too. Hopefully they have a reroll function in case you get something that never appears in your biome.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It would be cool if getting a quest like that temporarily increased your chance of seeing a dragon spawn or something like that.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

There seems to be a little trash can icon on the top right corner of each mission. Hopefully that means you can trash and reroll stuff like the catch 2 dragons mission. Either way, the mission stuff looks good.

Community day here was good, saw a lot of people out and about. It’s also the first day in quite some time that we had good weather, which may have contributed.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
While missions sound pretty okay, I don't like the prospect of lootboxes in PokemonGo and from the images that's exactly what they're adding.
But maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

At present I'm becoming more and more convinced that there's some profiling going on in the background of the game based on how you play the game. And if that's true the lootboxes will be utter poo poo to me.

During this event I've hatched 7 Wynauts, 4 pichus, 6 togepis, 1 magby, 5 poochyenas and a few Swablu. 0 Shiny thus far.
Currently at 27 Lugia raids, 0 shiny.
Meanwhile a large part of my raidgroup is running around with multiple Shiny Lugia's.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Prop Wash posted:

There seems to be a little trash can icon on the top right corner of each mission. Hopefully that means you can trash and reroll stuff like the catch 2 dragons mission.

Anything to help against the lack of dragon types around me would be welcomed.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Feels like they tightened the pokestop detection while moving quickly. Normally on my drive to/from work my gotcha will reliably get about 10-15 stops/gyms along the way. Today It only spun like 3-4, and I think most of those were in slow traffic or stopped at a light.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Darth TNT posted:

While missions sound pretty okay, I don't like the prospect of lootboxes in PokemonGo and from the images that's exactly what they're adding.

At present I'm becoming more and more convinced that there's some profiling going on in the background of the game based on how you play the game. And if that's true the lootboxes will be utter poo poo to me.

During this event I've hatched 7 Wynauts, 4 pichus, 6 togepis, 1 magby, 5 poochyenas and a few Swablu. 0 Shiny thus far.
Meanwhile a large part of my raidgroup is running around with multiple Shiny Lugia's.

I'll trade you one of my mewtwos from last summer for a wynaut. this is infuriating

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Darth TNT posted:

You should look up the definition of lootbox so you actually know what you're talking about.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

I'll trade you one of my mewtwos from last summer for a wynaut. this is infuriating
I didn't know they were so rare; I hatched one mid-February and was kinda disappointed.

Huh.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Darth TNT posted:

A lootbox is a slot machine / gambling mechanism in that you don't know what you're getting until you open it. You know what you get when you open these.

If anything, eggs are lootboxes.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The mission/reward system is nothing like lootboxes and the profiling you're stressing about is nothing but your own paranoia mixed with regular old random chance

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

seiferguy posted:

Absolutely, it doesn't help that you literally only have a 1% or less chance of hatching something specific, like a shiny gen3 baby.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Louisgod posted:

You should look up the definition of lootbox so you actually know what you're talking about.

I think seifer explained it pretty well. I take it you updated your vocabulary following his post?

seiferguy posted:

A lootbox is a slot machine / gambling mechanism in that you don't know what you're getting until you open it. You know what you get when you open these.

I briefly did consider eggs them, but it's not that bad with them. You get them for free as fast as you can hatch them and they always contain a pokemon with the most common ones removed. Technically raidpasses might be a better comparison. What raids are available is random, the raid pay out is random and catching the raidboss is random. But, meh that's not really what I want to talk about.

As to why I said why I said:

Now to be fair I thought I read that you were getting only one of the items shown, but looking at it again it seems like you might get all 3?

pokemongolive.com posted:

Both types of research offer great rewards, including a variety of useful items and even encounters with certain Pokémon!
The wording on the press release is unclear to me, which (combined with my cynical nature) may have led me to see that you'd get only one thing.

If you always get all 3 I wouldn't call it a lootbox with the negative connotations at least.

However (and this is important Louisgod, so please pay attention as you seemed to be a little confused regarding lootboxes), note that there are 2 randomized rewards. Also just for laughs, note the box shape.

But like I said in my first post, we'll see. :)

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 27, 2018

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You're not paying for those rewards, they're the rewards you get for doing a certain amount of daily quests (and the daily quests also have their own rewards attached to them individually, that you know about beforehand)

It's absolutely nothing like lootboxes unless the most you know about lootboxes are 'they are a box, and they're bad' (and by the absolutely loving smarmy tone of your post that in fact appears to be the case here)

edit: you also don't understand what machine learning is

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

flatluigi posted:

The mission/reward system is nothing like lootboxes and the profiling you're stressing about is nothing but your own paranoia mixed with regular old random chance

Certainly possible, I'm slightly paranoid.
However Niantic has a lot of smart people and profiling via machine learning in the current day and age is fairly easy. Hell, even without machine learning you can easily split the playerbase in 3 and think of ways to maximise profits by tailoring chances towards them.
Exhibit A would be the many research projects on Silph Road that pointed out that the original ExRaid algorithm seemed to greatly prefer infrequent raiders. Which makes sense from a business perspective.

flatluigi posted:

You're not paying for those rewards, they're the rewards you get for doing a certain amount of daily quests (and the daily quests also have their own rewards attached to them individually, that you know about beforehand)

It's absolutely nothing like lootboxes unless the most you know about lootboxes are 'they are a box, and they're bad' (and by the absolutely loving smarmy tone of your post that in fact appears to be the case here)
All true. And I fully expect to see new things in the store in due time.

I'm only "smarmy" against people who immediately resort to insults.

edit: Let me just quit my job then as I don't know applications for machine learning.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Getting people to log in daily to do a quest / event / reward (which they already do with daily spins and catches) is absolutely a f2p tactic to keep people playing a game beyond their interest level, so it's fair to be cognizant of that fact.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Darth TNT posted:

I'm only "smarmy" against people who immediately resort to insults.

edit: Let me just quit my job then as I don't know applications for machine learning.

You should only be smarmy after you've checked a dictionary to confirm you're not being an idiot.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There's someone around my work that goes around with six high level accounts (four of which are 40) and takes out each gym using a clipboard to hold her devices. There's some weirdly dedicated people playing this game.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

seiferguy posted:

There's some weirdly dedicated people playing this game.

I think the same thing, and then I realize the commitment I put into other games. I have no room to judge. Everybody has their vice.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://twitter.com/pokemongoapp/status/978684210180493312?s=21

Yesssssssssssssssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
What's a shiny mareep look like? I assume the entire point of community day is to fill our bags with shiny copies of 3-evo pokemon so we cough up for more space, so let's hope it's good

• Locked thread