Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Captain Invictus posted:

Multiple times throughout, yeah. She's a good girl but not too bright. For example, this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp45KlEIKRE&hd=1

Omg the full 3 mins hahaha

She is a good girl :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She really is, she's got a mouth on her, she threw a tantrum in my shirt a little bit ago where she just started ranting and raving because she got herself stuck in the arm of my shirt. I wanted to test how hostile she was in her cage because she does that recoil-and-bare-teeth-at-you thing when you open the top of the cage, but when I let her bite my finger, she only nibbled and never bit hard enough to break the skin. All bark and no bite, literally.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Just gonna leave this here. N00blet (right) went for a pregnancy check last week, as she's added 10-15% to her already-considerable bodyweight. Turns out she's not pregnant, just obese. The vet doesn't seem too concerned about her weight; she's clearly not in any pain, and is quite active (especially considering she's probably about 12).

Barry also seems to be doing a bit better. We used a baby-sized hair trimmer to shave some of the gunked-up fur off of his chest and arms, and he does legitimately seem happier for it (I swear he's also eating more, though that could just be that I'm paying more attention).

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 23, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
When people talk about minimum cage size, do you count total area if you have more than one cage or each individual cage? If I connect hamster cages together with that tubing poo poo?

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
One of my cages I use for Ivy is 3 bin cages stacked together with tubes connecting them, it's a great way to give plenty of room while saving space. As long as the hole for the tube is snug on the tube it isn't an issue for chewing. Ivy has actually dedicated different levels for different things, she has her dedicated "bedroom" bin where she has put most of her bedding from the other levels.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

When people talk about minimum cage size, do you count total area if you have more than one cage or each individual cage? If I connect hamster cages together with that tubing poo poo?

Defs add more space if you can, why not, but at least one space should be a good size. Multiple cages take more time to clean, more expensive overall, tubes are an escape risk, they tend to pee in them, eventually they'll get a bit old to be trekking around in tubes... Meh. Treat them as extras imo.

If you mean like a network of the tiny crittertrail style ones then just don't. Just get a bin.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Well the reason I ask is I'm an idiot and bought one that was a little too small, so I was just going to buy a second, slightly larger, one and attach it with the minimum amount of tubing. Not like some giant maze of tubing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I lost both my gerbils a week ago. Yesterday, I found myself near a PetCo and decided to take a look, help me decide if I want to get more little poop machines. I was looking at maybe a hamster this time, looking between teddy bear or robos. I noticed like 5 kids all screaming and banging on the glass of one cage, I took a look and they had a single lone gerbil in that cage. I told the kids to please stop scarring the little animal, at which point their mom came by and gave me the stink eye and literally put herself between me and the kids. At least she hustled them off.

I wanted to get the gerbil, but I didn't know anywhere else that had one to introduce, and even if I did I don't have the equipment or if i'm being honest, the emotional fortitude to handle if they reject eachother.

After the last page, I'm leaning further away from a robo.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So for floor space the minimum size should be uninterrupted floor space meaning attached cages don’t count. What size cage did you buy?

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Well the reason I ask is I'm an idiot and bought one that was a little too small, so I was just going to buy a second, slightly larger, one and attach it with the minimum amount of tubing. Not like some giant maze of tubing.

This really depends on what type of rodent you have and the cage you bought already. Pretty much any rodent cage that is sold in a store is going to be way too small for any type of rodent. Syrian hamsters especially have zero good options for rodent cages. It's best for them to either get a large aquarium, or make a bin cage.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

CainFortea posted:

I lost both my gerbils a week ago. Yesterday, I found myself near a PetCo and decided to take a look, help me decide if I want to get more little poop machines. I was looking at maybe a hamster this time, looking between teddy bear or robos. I noticed like 5 kids all screaming and banging on the glass of one cage, I took a look and they had a single lone gerbil in that cage. I told the kids to please stop scarring the little animal, at which point their mom came by and gave me the stink eye and literally put herself between me and the kids. At least she hustled them off.

I wanted to get the gerbil, but I didn't know anywhere else that had one to introduce, and even if I did I don't have the equipment or if i'm being honest, the emotional fortitude to handle if they reject eachother.

After the last page, I'm leaning further away from a robo.

Aww that poor little baby :( irresponsible af of the shop to let one get left behind as well. Not that you’d expect much more from bigbox petshop :sigh: hopefully someone will come along who has a lone gerb that needs a friend.

-CHA posted:

This really depends on what type of rodent you have and the cage you bought already. Pretty much any rodent cage that is sold in a store is going to be way too small for any type of rodent. Syrian hamsters especially have zero good options for rodent cages. It's best for them to either get a large aquarium, or make a bin cage.

We have some decent options in the UK that suit syrians but I’m guessing poster is in the US which I know sucks balls for cages.

On the off chance, you can look at the Alaska, Barney or Hamster Heaven.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Our little campbell, Mariette, died.
It wasn't a surprise. She had a big tumor and she didn't come out of her nest often anymore. though she kept going to the bathroom till the end.
We were giving her water and food at the entrance of her nest for a couple of weeks now. She didn't seem to be in pain, but as others told me here, it's hard to know.
Yesterday she stopped drinking and almost didn't open her eyes anymore. She was cold and my girlfriend kept her in her lap the whole evening, giving her heat with her hands.
She seemed at peace.
This afternoon we buried her in the yard next to Hamilton, our previous ham.

We still have our new ham, Watson the crazy robo. I hope she learns to trust us, but no luck so far.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
I'm sorry to hear about Mariette :( At least you were able to be there with her at the end.

teenytinymouse posted:

We have some decent options in the UK that suit syrians but I’m guessing poster is in the US which I know sucks balls for cages.

On the off chance, you can look at the Alaska, Barney or Hamster Heaven.

Yeah, I'm in the US. There is a local pet store that has a custom made large display bin for guinea pigs that has a foot print of around 30" x 50", that would make an excellent hamster cage. Now if only they would make and sell them...

As I type this, Biscuit is running on her flying saucer and has managed to run faster than what the wheel can spin and she has been running off the top corner. Guess it is time to get her a wodent wheel.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's more fun when you have multiple Roborovskis sharing a wheel, particularly a saucer wheel. It becomes a contest to see who can stop for breath last and thus not get hurled bodily across the cage.

Advice required: my sister recently acquired a rescue rabbit - not from a bad owner, she's a (probably) wild rabbit that someone's cat brought in as a tiny pup. Hillary the hamster, who is 20 months old now, is a bit concerned that she can smell another rodent in her house. Obviously we're not going to put them together or anything, but what's the best way to get her used to that?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Jedit posted:

It's more fun when you have multiple Roborovskis sharing a wheel, particularly a saucer wheel. It becomes a contest to see who can stop for breath last and thus not get hurled bodily across the cage.

Advice required: my sister recently acquired a rescue rabbit - not from a bad owner, she's a (probably) wild rabbit that someone's cat brought in as a tiny pup. Hillary the hamster, who is 20 months old now, is a bit concerned that she can smell another rodent in her house. Obviously we're not going to put them together or anything, but what's the best way to get her used to that?

Time, our ham room is full with a triple nation and a double nation and it just takes time.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Jedit posted:

Sorry, can’t help with the bunny. We’ve had different rodents in the same room (different cage) and they didn’t care/noticed.

About the Roborovskis. When I bought ours I was explicitly told they can’t live together. But I see so many videos of people who keep a bunch together. Are these just young ones? If they like living together I might have gotten her a play friend.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

They technically can, I think semi-social is the right term but there's always a risk of them fighting/murdering and eating eachother and they don't need companionship like rats, gerbs or cavies. I think anecdotally they're the ones least likely out of the dwarf species to go all murdery tho.

I was so so tempted by the little pile of baby robos I saw last weekend, they're so precious :3: I think the bar spacing on my only other cage is too big to risk it tho.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

teenytinymouse posted:

They technically can, I think semi-social is the right term but there's always a risk of them fighting/murdering and eating eachother and they don't need companionship like rats, gerbs or cavies. I think anecdotally they're the ones least likely out of the dwarf species to go all murdery tho.

I was so so tempted by the little pile of baby robos I saw last weekend, they're so precious :3: I think the bar spacing on my only other cage is too big to risk it tho.

damnit really? I got a little dwarf hamster, not a robo, because the poo poo I read on the internet said you could keep dwarfs together without much trouble so long as you provided enough space and they each get their own food bowls/toys/wheels

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The last pair of robos I had, one killed the other and hollowed it out and used the corpse as a nest. Metal as gently caress, but :stare::stare::catstare:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

damnit really? I got a little dwarf hamster, not a robo, because the poo poo I read on the internet said you could keep dwarfs together without much trouble so long as you provided enough space and they each get their own food bowls/toys/wheels

Truth is there is no way to guarantee they won’t fall out. Some people say lots of space so they can get away from eachother if they need to, some people say smaller spaces so they can’t spend too much time apart and get territorial over different areas of the cage. Both are logical approaches and different people have reported success with both methods so :shrug:

I’ve spent more time on hamster focused forums than I’d like to admit and I honestly don’t know, nobody knoooooooows. I’m sticking to single hams personally, even tho a snuggly hampile is one of the greatest things on earth to see.

Captain Invictus posted:

The last pair of robos I had, one killed the other and hollowed it out and used the corpse as a nest. Metal as gently caress, but :stare::stare::catstare:

Because this would be possibly the worst :gonk:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

teenytinymouse posted:

They technically can, I think semi-social is the right term but there's always a risk of them fighting/murdering and eating eachother and they don't need companionship like rats, gerbs or cavies.

Gender-based, isn't it? We kept three Robs once, and had to separate one around after it kept biting the poo poo out of one of the others (but only one). Turned out the biter was male and the others were female, and the biting started roughly at puberty age.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Jedit posted:

Gender-based, isn't it? We kept three Robs once, and had to separate one around after it kept biting the poo poo out of one of the others (but only one). Turned out the biter was male and the others were female, and the biting started roughly at puberty age.

Everything I've read is in the context of single sex groups or pairs because if you keep mixed sex pairs together you're a loving moron being very silly indeed! Some people have said that dwarf hamdads can be quite good about not eating their own children and do some of the parenting but there's still a fairly significant murder risk if ladyham isn't feeling it and also a million loving babies.

There's no established rules or opinions that there's a pronounced difference in how often groups of girls and boys fall out, afaik anyway.

teenytinymouse fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 28, 2018

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

teenytinymouse posted:

Everything I've read is in the context of single sex groups or pairs because if you keep mixed sex pairs together you're a loving moron being very silly indeed! Some people have said that dwarf hamdads can be quite good about not eating their own children and do some of the parenting but there's still a fairly significant murder risk if ladyham isn't feeling it and also a million loving babies.

There's no established rules or opinions that there's a pronounced difference in how often groups of girls and boys fall out, afaik anyway.

Yeah that all sounds like massive heaps of stress to me. I'll stick with my one ham. Hope she wont be lonely. But at least she wont be worn like a coat by another ham or something.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
my little hamster bites me when i give him treats, i had to clean his cage today and he bit me when I moved him into a temporary enclosure, I got him not too long ago, will he grow out of that as he gets used to being fed treats and gets used to my hands?

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Doorknob Slobber posted:

my little hamster bites me when i give him treats, i had to clean his cage today and he bit me when I moved him into a temporary enclosure, I got him not too long ago, will he grow out of that as he gets used to being fed treats and gets used to my hands?

For the most part he should settle down a bit as he gets older. Just be sure to give him daily attention and make sure he knows that you are there by calling to him before reaching in and giving treats from your hand. Surprised hamsters are more prone to biting. There is no guarantee that he will stop biting altogether, hamsters tend to explore new things with their teeth.

I have a dwarf, Biscuit, that would nibble everything that moved. By working with her daily, her nibbling was reduced to the point where she will just do a light exploratory test nibble every now and then.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

He may be cage aggressive, try using a mug to get him and interact withhim outside his cage.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The more you interact with him and associate your hands with nice things like treats and food the better yeah. He's most likely scared out of his tiny rodent wits so be patient and go slow, hams you get from a pet shop probably haven't been handled as babies which makes a huge difference.

I assume it was a proper chomp and not just a "hey this could be food" bite. Our wee dwarf never stopped doing that because he was a bit blind and dumb as a rock :3:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It hurt a little, didn't draw any blood though. Felt like a good pinch. I did get him from a pet store, I tried to find a rescue or breeder near me but the closest I could even find mention of was an hour and a half or more drive. I sent them an e-mail asking a few questions and also if they knew anyone closer but they never responded. That was kind of a bummer.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

No blood no foul imo, if he meant to really chomp you he would do it properly. I think just keep doing what you're doing and build up some trust with the little guy.

Also post a pic I wanna see the cute bitey face :3:

I would love to have a breeder near me but it would mean a ferry to England so like a day and half travel. I have genuinely considered it tho lol maybe one day

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, you'll absolutely know it when they bite for real. For example, one time when I was younger, I accidentally put one of my hamsters in the wrong cage when I went to put him back, and put him in with one of his siblings who he'd been separated from for a year or so. They immediately got into a vicious fight and I immediately went to break it up by separating them. One bit me extremely hard and deeply on the thumb, and I still have a scar. We're talking to the bone here. So if it's not even drawing blood, they're probably just tasting you/nibbling and grabbing your finger with their teeth, not really biting. They tend to do that with most new things.

I thought Screamer would be the type to bite viciously if I put my hand in her nest, but she just grabs my finger and yanks on it instead, not hard enough to break skin.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
My hamster would adorably lick my finger tips whenever I put my hand into his cage. And so one drunk day I decided to see if he would lick my nose. He did, and then decided to bite down. I was frozen with fear but thankfully he let go after 3 seconds. When they want to hurt you they are basically a stapler.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So I ended up recieving/adopting a guinea pig from a friend that couldn't take care of him. While everything is going well, I do need to trim his claws. Do you much experienced goons have any advice?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MohawkSatan posted:

So I ended up recieving/adopting a guinea pig from a friend that couldn't take care of him. While everything is going well, I do need to trim his claws. Do you much experienced goons have any advice?

Do you have the appropriate cutting tool? Otherwise it's really not more complicated then not cutting too far into the nail. Guinea pigs blood supply extends and retracts as the nails grow/diminish, so if the nails are really long you'll have to cut them in increments to shorten them. If you do cut too far up the tell-tale sign will be screaming and blood. Since pigs are very finicky creatures they can also scream pre-emptively even if you're nowhere close.

I'll assume that there are a million videos on Youtube if you're really nervous about this.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If you need clippers, I like this style: https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-100079542-Pro-Nail-Trimmer/dp/B000HHJH82 You will probably cut at least one nail too close and it will bleed a whole lot. I've had pigs for 20+ years and still do. Just keep the pig still on your towel a few minutes and the bleeding will mostly stop. I tried styptic swabs once and they didn't really help.

When it's nail trimming day for my three pigs, one is completely chill as gently caress, one gets antsy but otherwise complies, and one gets so instantly stressed that she actually starts to hyperventilate. And I've never even cut her nails too short. Just be patient, if they get stressed put them back before you tackle the next foot. Good luck!!

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

MohawkSatan posted:

Have treats to hand...I used to give mine slivers of carrot/cucumber and they generally weren't too horrified about being towelled for their nail trims. It helps if you have a second person to help with one end while you deal with the other.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm stuck because albin has gone to sleep in my shirt for the very first time and I don't want to wake him up because he is a good boy.

He also likes to watch the tv. I was watching a livestream and held him closer to the screen and he was absolutely transfixed for about 20 minutes.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Awww :3: Also good on Albin for not nibbling on the screen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh no the tv is like 6 feet away, I'm sure he couldn't actually see much besides various colors since they've got crap eyesight but he still was absolutely enthralled

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
That makes more sense. Ivy gets to run around on the bed every now and then, whenever we have the computer on the bed she always goes right up to the screen and starts nibbling. Also pressing the keys and making the computer do stuff, but mostly nibbling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh no the tv is like 6 feet away, I'm sure he couldn't actually see much besides various colors since they've got crap eyesight but he still was absolutely enthralled

We used to have a hamster who would watch Top of the Pops every Sunday like it was her religion. The riff from Whole Lotta Love started, out she would come, she would sit there for the 30 minute run time and then go back to bed.

Hillary is getting used to the rabbit being around, I'm glad to say. It helps that we started closing her cage door behind her so she knows nobody is getting in while she's gone. She's a smart rodent; my sister has been suffering from depression and it has been amusing her when Hillary jumps off whatever piece of furniture she's on. Hillary has evidently noticed this, because when she's been out on my sister's bed she's been running down to the bottom and jumping off, but instead of finding the nearest corner she's instead run along the floor back up to the top of the bed and waited there to be picked up so she can do it again. Something similar happens when they're on the sofa. Hillary has very obviously invented games to play with her human because it makes her human happy.