Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Just finished watching Startup on Amazon, anyone else catch this show? Season one kinda lost me a bit but I kept going with the show and enjoyed it overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
I'm enjoying into the badlands. Thank you thread!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have finished watching Superstore up to the most current episode. I don't know why I really started or even continued. I don't think it's a terrible comedy but I'm not sure if I laughed much through the entire thing. The will they/won't they between the two main characters is really, really uninteresting. The voice mark mckinney uses is god awful and I seriously wondered if he had a stroke or something in real life that caused it but no its just for the show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Superstore is a perfectly pleasant classic sitcom. It's not really worth going out of your way for and sooner or later I'll just have enough of it and stop watching. But right now it's a really enjoyable palette cleanser between Mick and AP Bio for me each week.

But like it could be cancelled tomorrow and I wouldn't care except that I'd probably look for another "palette cleanser" sitcom.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

But like it could be cancelled tomorrow and I wouldn't care except that I'd probably look for another "palette cleanser" sitcom.

That is a good way to describe how I feel about it. I'm going to keep recording it but I wouldn't miss it if the show ended.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Superstore is ace and anyone who hates McKinney’s Glenn voice is a certified lunatic

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have ZERO against it. The worst thing i can say is that the romance plot is "meh".

but like, if my DVR just stopped recording it I think it would take weeks for me to even realize it.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Anyone that I know who works or used to work retail loves Superstore.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I worked retail and there's definitely those moments. I've just never really been someone who loses it at "that's so true!" Most comedy comes from some shared truth or experience.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Got home after a bad date and found out that Santa Clarita Diet season 2 has landed and my night.....didn't really get better, but got a bit less depressing.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
More anime talk from my recent binges:
Space Brothers: I don't know if it's great, but I can't stop watching it. Two brothers from near-future Japan, one a poster boy for the space program and the other a disgraced engineer, end up pursuing careers as astronauts.

It's not as comedic, absurd or supernatural as I was expecting it to go based on the description and first episode, it doesn't seem to hit any real highs or lows, but compared to a lot of the anime I've been seeing lately at least it feels pretty sincere.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm fairly LTTP on this, but I got pushed into watching the ‘08-‘10 British comedy The Inbetweeners on The Netflix. Only 18 episodes as Brit comedies are often in 6 episode seasons, but goddamn hilarious. Underage boys trying to rules lawyer their way into ordering alcohol in a pub by ordering a full carvery roast in the first episode had me crying. It's coarse, it's crude, it's got main characters who are every worst possible example of teenage boys, and I'm sad there's not more of it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They have two movies. They aren't bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inbetweeners_Movie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inbetweeners_2

I think they were just an excuse to gently caress around in Greece and Australia.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
If you liked the inbetweeners you might like white gold, it's by the same people behind the inbetweeners and even has a few of the same actors.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That show started off really good and then in the later seasons traded in the witty dialogue and such for some really subpar wannabe American Pie bullshit

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Mu Zeta posted:

They have two movies. They aren't bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inbetweeners_Movie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inbetweeners_2

I think they were just an excuse to gently caress around in Greece and Australia.

Oh nice. And in grand British sitcom-turned-movie tradition they just send the cast off on an overseas holiday. I'm gonna lower the gently caress out of my expectations because of that and go track them down.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I'm enjoying into the badlands. Thank you thread!

Badlands has the standard " everyones power level fluctuates wildly depending on what the plots needs to progress" problems but Nick Frost shows up in the second season and completely owns bones. I'm really excited for the 3rd season.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Hmm I'm wondering if I should keep watching 12 Monkeys or not..

Thanks for the suggestions :) I have seen all but Fortitude and Into the Badlands (in my Netflix queue).

TvTropes has a good description of science fiction hardness

I like when a show doesn't assume viewers are short attention span simpletons

Yeah 'hard' scifi is as close to real physics and science as possible. No faster than light travel, realistic physics (the Expanse having people get pulped by high-G maneuvers or clouds of shrapnel being the ultimate space weapons) versus something like star trek where they're just technobabbling to help the story move along.

I think STAC Goat is confusing hard science fiction with the term 'hardboiled'.

Anyway, I just finished binging The Good Place and it's really good.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Been into The Strain recently. Good vampire nonsense. Knocked off the first season, started on the second and it seems to be the same sort of thing.

Also probably Westworld. Watched the first episode yesterday and it hooked me so that's going on the list in time for the second season if that keeps up.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

imnotinsane posted:

If you liked the inbetweeners you might like white gold, it's by the same people behind the inbetweeners and even has a few of the same actors.

The friend who put me onto The Inbetweeners just started me watching Fresh Meat, which is as close to a head canon sequel as you could hope to get. If I just imagine the one lad is playing the same character (hell, he acts the same) now at university it's essentially a spin-off of The Inbetweeners. She then suggested White Gold as a third head canon part. I've heard mixed reports of the latter, but Fresh Meat is surprisingly good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The real sequel to Fresh Meat is Bad Education where Jack Whitehall becomes a high school teacher. Bad Education is another show where after it ends they make a Bad Education movie and go on a summer trip.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
White Gold was fun and I enjoyed it and then the main guy was accused of multiple sexual assaults and the second season production was put on hold in November and there hasn't been any new information since then so who knows!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Mu Zeta posted:

The real sequel to Fresh Meat is Bad Education where Jack Whitehall becomes a high school teacher. Bad Education is another show where after it ends they make a Bad Education movie and go on a summer trip.

Ok cool, will look out for this too. Seeing as how White Gold is set in the '80s, I'd rather go the degrees of separation route and follow this chain of "not sequels buuuut if you squint a bit..." route.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I loved The Inbetweeners so am definitely gonna check out Fresh Meat.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

I loved The Inbetweeners so am definitely gonna check out Fresh Meat.
Fresh Meat is great, possibly better

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Wild, Wild Country

:stare:

God bless the Duplass brothers!

I would recommend this for its cinematographic quality alone.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bowmore posted:

Fresh Meat is great, possibly better

I'm 3 episodes in and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's OK, but I think the episodes are too long.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I'll have to check out Fresh Meat. I think I must have had it confused with something else because I thought I'd watched half an episode and found it to be the most tedious, trying-to-hard to be offensive poo poo I'd ever seen, but I just checked and it wasn't that. And I can't figure out what it was, some other just starting college show.

Also, if people are talking underated slice-of-life British comedies, I always feel compelled to pimp 15 Stories High. Good luck finding it anywhere other than youtube (where the whole thing is pretty easy to find).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, I got 5 episodes into Fresh Meat and can't do it anymore. I've laughed maybe once or twice and they were both in the 4th episode.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Similar in that it is from the UK, is funny, and also has some gross out moments is Chewing Gum, on Netflix. My wife and I both enjoyed it a bunch.

I really enjoyed the music for The Inbetweeners. They used a few tracks off of the Passion Pit EP Chunk of Change and that is extremely my jam.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone watched The Frankenstein Chronicles? I am interested in it because of Sean Bean and the last UK murder mystery I saw Broadchurch was great.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Ulio posted:

Anyone watched The Frankenstein Chronicles? I am interested in it because of Sean Bean and the last UK murder mystery I saw Broadchurch was great.

Do it. It's really good.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Do it. It's really good.

Does it pick up? I got to about episode 4 and felt that Sean Bean was the only worthwhile part

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Retardog posted:

Does it pick up? I got to about episode 4 and felt that Sean Bean was the only worthwhile part

It does!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cool I'll check it out since it's on Netflix now. Love me some Sean Bean, hopefully he doesn't die in this.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Ulio posted:

Cool I'll check it out since it's on Netflix now. Love me some Sean Bean, hopefully he doesn't die in this.

He does, but he gets better.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Wild, Wild Country

It's so fuckin good everyone watch this immediately

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Gunshow Poophole posted:

It's so fuckin good everyone watch this immediately

I did :stare:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ulio posted:

I thought season 1 was really good, season 2 really meh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Wild, Wild Country

I feel like there are 2/3 jaw-dropping twists or revelations per episode. It looks beatiful, the footage feels so complete, everything edited together so well.