Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Atelier Online will save Gust

(no it won't it'll die within 12 months)

MMO's kill studios. Every. Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

MMO's kill studios. Every. Time.

Should have gone with the sensible dev decision and just made a Gachapon, those idiots...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought it was just a mobile game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's a 3D phone (and PC) MMO. Looks like you're only with three or four people at once so, uh, definitely maybe drop the "massively" M.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm not gonna say its a good thing Lydie/Sue doesn't have an English dub, but I will say that every voice in Firis sounded like they were done by a single man and a single woman who worked in accounting and were held at gunpoint by the voice director whose instructions were "just read the line"

Supposedly Firis's English VA posted that she tried correcting the pronunciation of Atelier and the Japanese voice director said no.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm Ann Takamaki and this is my Atelier

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dragon Quest on PS4 and Steam just got announced so RIP Atelier discussion.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

atelier at least has the advantage of being one of only like 5 jrpgs on switch so far

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dehry posted:

Supposedly Firis's English VA posted that she tried correcting the pronunciation of Atelier and the Japanese voice director said no.

Still a better English dub than Xenoblade 2

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This Atelier discussion reminds me that I should try out Escha & Logy on Vita. I guess I could just jump right into the new one on Switch but Escha & Logy gets recommended often as a good starting place and I haven't used my Vita in like two years so hey

Dehry posted:

...how do they actually say it in the game if not correctly? Do I want to know?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Should have gone with the sensible dev decision and just made a Gachapon, those idiots...

Well frankly, yes. A simple slot machine in disguise is a hell of a better revenue proposition than an MMO.

Here's the thing; A studio invests a shitload of money in a project they have to sustain for the foreseeable future. So right from the start they need a sizeable playerbase to pay in through subscriptions or microtransactions on the regular to pay it off. And that's before the costs of maintaining the network hardware and internet connections. That gets you, ooh.. a year? If you're really lucky in today's marketplace?

Beyond that, they'd better drat-well have new content rolling out regular, because most of your playerbase are now at endgame and looking for something to keep their interest them. And the studio is gonna start to bleed creative talent by that point, because nobody wants to work on the same game for the foreseeable future with no way out. There are only so many 20-bear-rear end-collection quests someone can write.

And there's where it all goes down the toilet; Playerbase count drops like a stone, the studio's losing key artists and design staff, and they have no real way to cleanly kill their MMO because it's paying to keep the lights on at this point. There is no exit strategy, because the only way out would be to make a new standalone game, and the money and development time simply is not there on top of handholding the MMO. So when it goes, it takes the studio with it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Harrow posted:

they pronounce it how it looks

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dehry posted:

Hey shut up about your dumb dead anime game series and let's pay attention to this awesome anime game news.

Wonder what pushed SE to finally make a smart business decision? And more importantly, what is the monkey paw fuckery that's going on with this?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Dehry posted:

So, how good is DQ 11 anyways? Hasn't it already been released in Japan?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm just glad DQXI finally has a Western release date. I'm really itching for another dose of Dragon Quest. Gonna mainline some JRPG goodness in September, aww yeah

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atelier
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/atelier

It's a french word so the er is actually an "a" sound. Probably not what most primary English speakers think of.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dehry posted:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atelier
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/atelier

It's a french word so the er is actually an "a" sound. Probably not what most primary English speakers think of.

Oh yeah, I know how it's actually pronounced. I was wondering which wrong pronunciation they went with in-game, and it seems like "ah-tell-yer" which is exactly what I feared

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

gust is dying cloud

I like that guy's skirt

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Roluth posted:

So, how good is DQ 11 anyways? Hasn't it already been released in Japan?

I don't know but you can ride a dragon and horses.

Don't know if prior DQ's had this. I only played half of 8.

Happy to see it finally on Steam and hopefully it runs well.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah, I know how it's actually pronounced. I was wondering which wrong pronunciation they went with in-game, and it seems like "ah-tell-yer" which is exactly what I feared

See that's the really interesting thing, you'd think they would have pronounced it as if it were an English word, so phonetically "ah-teh-leer" or "ah-tell-yer" like you said, but instead they go with "at-leer" which honestly convinced me I was pronouncing it wrong because that sounds so loving not correct based on the letters in the word that I figured it had roots in some long-dead goof language I just didn't know about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nbl5h3CRUQ&hd=1

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
DQ is on steam???

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

See that's the really interesting thing, you'd think they would have pronounced it as if it were an English word, so phonetically "ah-teh-leer" or "ah-tell-yer" like you said, but instead they go with "at-leer" which honestly convinced me I was pronouncing it wrong because that sounds so loving not correct based on the letters in the word that I figured it had roots in some long-dead goof language I just didn't know about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO_1dEOkb_U

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Japanese people need to stop loving butting in localization sessions because it's been a disaster everytime

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

DQ is on steam???

It's coming on Steam and PS4 in September. Switch will be later.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

Japanese people need to stop loving butting in localization sessions because it's been a disaster everytime

<insert video of Vanille's voice actress describing the direction she was given here>

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

I thought it was something bizarre like ah-tleh or somesuch, or am I getting my games confused?

Edit: yep, video RazzleDazzleHour linked to mostly confirms.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 28, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

[pronounced "Samus"]

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GrandpaPants posted:

Hey shut up about your dumb dead anime game series and let's pay attention to this awesome anime game news.

Wonder what pushed SE to finally make a smart business decision? And more importantly, what is the monkey paw fuckery that's going on with this?

Monkey paw is going to be that the pc port will be locked to 1080p and 30fps, probably. If I can run it at 1440p and 60+ fps then I'll get it for pc instead of PS4.

No mention of a Switch version makes me wonder if that's still going to happen.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Tired Moritz posted:

DQ is on steam???

Dragon Quest Heroes and its sequel have been on Steam for a while now, so it's not like this is the series' first foray there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They literally said Switch version is later

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

Monkey paw is going to be that the pc port will be locked to 1080p and 30fps, probably. If I can run it at 1440p and 60+ fps then I'll get it for pc instead of PS4.

The same article originally posted about the Steam version also said that a Switch version was also going to get released with an ETA of "way later"

also haven't most PC ports of SE games made in the last couple years been really good? Like yeah Chrono Trigger is a loving mess but I haven't heard any bad things about Dragon Quest Heroes, Dragon Quest Heroes 2, Star Ocean 4, FF13/13-2/13-3 or FF15

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has anyone here played DQXI already? I'm curious how it compares to VIII, which I really enjoyed.

Watching that DQXI trailer after playing Ni no Kuni II makes me wish they'd gone with a cel-shaded "animated" look instead of the more 3D lighting they went with but it still looks pretty cool

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's coming, but "much later"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's a 3D phone (and PC) MMO. Looks like you're only with three or four people at once so, uh, definitely maybe drop the "massively" M.

I thought it was just a gacha game

lol this is going to be so terrible

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Well that is the most baffling possible pronunciation

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Harrow posted:

Well that is the most baffling possible pronunciation

it's so lazy I kinda love it

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Sorry, I meant no mention of a release date. 'Much later' isn't much different from what we've heard from the start regarding the switch version.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

an actual dog posted:

it's so lazy I kinda love it

I was going to compare Firis's voice acting to another game that had a notoriously bad vocal direction, Sonic Adventure, but after giving it some thought I genuinely think Sonic Adventure had a better dub than Firis.

:negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just remembered that Octopath Traveler is coming out in a few months and got very excited.

I keep forgetting that Tokyo RPG Factory is part of Square-Enix because their games feel so much less polished than the other "retro JRPGs" Square-Enix publishes like Bravely Default and now Octopath Traveler. It's certainly possible Octopath Traveler will be disappointing but the demo felt awesome and I'm a sucker for a spiritual successor to SaGa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Did anybody here even play Lost Sphear, even out of curiosity?