Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

welp picture of Watain giving a nazi salute

*scratches another band off the list*

They kicked the guy doing said salute out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

They did it in a very whiny way though (also sounds like they didn't fire him, he quit for a while)

a bunch of butthurt nazi lovers posted:

The gesture on that picture was done in jest that’s as much as we have to say about that, but to put an end to this tiresome and time-consuming nonsense the guitarist in question has decided to step aside for a period of time to avoid further hopeless discussions on the subject.

We furthermore spit upon the ill-willed ignorance of all those who maintain that Watain have any political agenda whatsoever, for 20 years we have proven otherwise and people should know better by now. Finally we would like to send a heartfelt gently caress off to all who insist on feeding the mindless moral witch-hunt hysteria that is now festering on worldwide Heavy Metal culture. Hail Satan!

"How dare people get mad about Nazi's and try and drive them out of the metal scene, edgelords forever, hail satan"

But he was also only the live guitarist, if they'd put out a less awful statement with it I would have agreed they weren't to blame. Whining about "mindless moral witch-hunt[s]" just make you sound like you're supporting the Nazi lovers.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I'm absolutely shocked that this non-apology was given by a guy who would routinely tell his fans to commit acts of terrorism in their name.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Yeah I'm actually pretty sure Watain aren't Nazi's, but despite claiming not to be political they ended up picking a side with their statement and it's the one that sees calling out Nazi's as a bad thing.

They could have been amusing satan worshipping edgy metal assholes without going out of their way to tell people to stop talking about metal's Nazi problem.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

il_cornuto posted:

Yeah I'm actually pretty sure Watain aren't Nazi's, but despite claiming not to be political they ended up picking a side with their statement and it's the one that sees calling out Nazi's as a bad thing.

This is a running trend, same with Hoest. Taake is most definitely not NS, but every statement he gives about it is so dumb and inflammatory towards the other side like Watain's. Also Watain sucks, Walmart-rear end McDonalds BM

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish we had more Austin Lunn types in black metal. He seems like a very good dude and doesn’t have to be an obnoxious anti-pc tryhard to make good black metal.

Gonna have to binge Autumn Eternal. Doesn’t he have something new coming out this year?

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 27, 2018

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Mgla's sheer nihilism is a good way to go for black metal IMO, which is proven by the fact that they are one the best black metal bands around. There are plenty of good black metal acts who actually manage not to be political at all. Not that I think there is anything inherently wrong with bands or music being political, Napalm Death still rule.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 27, 2018

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
I could never keep Taake or Watain straight in my mind anyway, I always kept mixing them up.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish Mgła would put their music on streaming since that’s the way I consistently listen to albums. YouTube isn’t great.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

wahhwahh the vocals are too harsh

the level of this thread is loving appalling

Thank you.

COOL CORN posted:

personally i would have thought that their music would be more of a reason to stop listening to watain

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Watain's best song is They Rode On and I'm not saying that as an insult.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I wish we had more Austin Lunn types in black metal. He seems like a very good dude and doesn’t have to be an obnoxious anti-pc tryhard to make good black metal.

Gonna have to binge Autumn Eternal. Doesn’t he have something new coming out this year?

There's a double album called The Scars of Man on the Once Nameless Wilderness coming out next Friday.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 27, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dimebags Brain posted:

There's a double album called The Scars of Man on the Once Nameless Wilderness coming out next Friday.

I AM VERY HAPPY RIGHT NOW THANK YOU

His merch prices are super fair in case anyone else is interested. I think I’m going to grab some patches.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 27, 2018

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

new mournful congregation is freaking dope

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Speaking of reasonably priced merch, Hellripper has good prices on shirts. Sadly the tiny patch isn’t there anymore.

https://hellripper.bandcamp.com/merch

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian
do you like demilich and obscura era gorguts?

https://replicantnj.bandcamp.com/

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

This definitely isn't shy about showing it's Gorguts influence, but it rules so far. I love that gritty bass sound behind the jazzy guitar chords.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

:krad: Hopefully it makes up for the new Primordial album sucking.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Apparently Swarrrm released a new album last month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naKVz3QNkEY

Digging it so far.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Link it to metalsucks! Justice for all!

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

call of kkktuhlu

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
The No-Black Album

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What, you guys don't practice karate in narrow halls with "Berlin" spray painted in the wall? Great workout, try it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

why am I kind of attracted to young Lars in a gay vampire way

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

TeamJesus posted:

Apparently Swarrrm released a new album last month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naKVz3QNkEY

Digging it so far.
I haven't listened to these guys since Against Again and this is... different from what I was expecting.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I am also having a major Thin Lizzy throwback thingy these days

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

saviro posted:

do you like demilich and obscura era gorguts?

https://replicantnj.bandcamp.com/

Listened to the whole thing this morning, it's fantastic. The riffs are so good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

why am I kind of attracted to young Lars in a gay vampire way

He was a handsome sumbitch. It'd be like admitting that twenty-something David Gilmour wasn't prettier than most girls.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

oh no now i'm going to have to stop listening to metallica oh no

Dimebags Brain posted:

gently caress YES thank you!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm here to say that the new Sword album is... Really loving boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqJMRA4guYM

The doom metal is gone, replaced with ultra-repetitive stoner "grooves" and I could not give less of a gently caress about this album

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The doom metal was gone like, four albums ago. If it was ever there.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

skasion posted:

The doom metal was gone like, four albums ago. If it was ever there.

Yeah I should say it's been a transition over to stoner rock, but FWIW I actually liked Low Country (it turns out they are way better as a semi-acoustic act either way).

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I bet the stoner doom sludge thread guys are lapping it up

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah, no

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Because someone mentioned Autumn Eternal it made me think of Autumn Leaves who if you haven't heard them are some stellar death metal from Denmark in the 90s. At the time it was pretty unique ( IMO ) because it's kind of sort of melodeath but kinda sort swedeath and kinda sorta grindy and had lyrics more about nihilism/nature rather than gore/satan.

One of my favourite bands that I forgot about so thanks for that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCWHA5AGJkQ

I loving love the production, the sound of the guitars and the very audible bass, fantastic.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I went to a BBQ with Watain last night and things were pretty chill. BBQ was a little rare.
https://imgur.com/gallery/a51dF

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are there any modern active acts doing industrial metal? I got a hankering and everything that pops up in google are the exact same bands that I listened to in high school. Which is fine, they're good stuff. But there has to be someone out there putting a modern twist on it and I can't find much.

Posting here because I like guitar focus over the dance oriented stuff. Like Rob Zombie if you must have an example.

I did stumble on this which I'm still processing but think I'm digging:

https://glitchmoderecordings.bandcamp.com/album/the-named-glitch-mode-reissue

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Wait, am I too late to talk about my feelings for metalmen? I think Dead was really cute in a trashy way.

Dyna Soar posted:

:laugh:

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Dyna Soar posted:

haha, those stupid idiots in that thread can't tell if something is good or bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar