Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

iospace posted:

You try to clear off the top of a semi-trailer.

I'll wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?yovo68

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

iospace posted:

I'll wait.

You try to remove the lead paint and asbestos from a building.

I'll wait.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZNi2YnaiR8

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

I'll wait.

I don't have to, you see, for I have exempt myself from the burden of responsibility of truck ownership by choosing not to drive a truck.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Can't play that for whatever reason.

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

You try to remove the lead paint and asbestos from a building.

I'll wait.

I have no clue how this is relevant to the convo at hand, but you were bitching about how snow flies off semis. I'm saying good luck trying to get people to clean the top of semis off when A. they're basically cardboard boxes with a sturdy floor, and B. people generally don't have the means to.

Is it annoying? Yeah, but nothing can be done about it.

e: ok, will concede "nothing can be done", but given how notoriously frugal trucking companies are, do you think they're going to buy one of those, make the already stretched out too thin truckers spend valuable time to use that?

Probably not (not to say the don't exist, but yeah).

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 27, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen snow scrapers for trailer roofs at truck stops near mountain ranges. Like on I-70 near the Utah/Colorado border.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

iospace posted:

I'll wait.

I've de-iced a plane with a hand pump in -15 degree weather, is it significantly worse than that?

Maybe we shouldn't bitch about the legal obligations of operating the vehicles we choose to operate.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

I've seen snow scrapers for trailer roofs at truck stops near mountain ranges. Like on I-70 near the Utah/Colorado border.

And they seem to be no where here in Wisconsin. :shrug:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

iospace posted:

It might not be mobile friendly, its the direct link to the 11foot8 profile. :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It might not be mobile friendly, its the direct link to the 11foot8 profile. :v:

That explains that. It decided to put it in youtube tags instead of URL tags.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

iospace posted:

That explains that. It decided to put it in youtube tags instead of URL tags.

radium :argh:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Semi trailers don't generally have ladders, there isn't even really a way to get up there.

Require every truck stop and trucking yard that gets a meaningful amount of snow to have one of those roof scraper things for free use, THEN require the drivers to use them. Otherwise the companies will handle it like they handle everything else - make it part of the trucker's duties without budgeting them the time to actually do it or providing any tools for the task.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

Javid posted:

Semi trailers don't generally have ladders, there isn't even really a way to get up there.

If only there were a large compartment in which a ladder could be stored.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A substantial majority of trucking these days involves sealed trailers, ie the trailer is sealed with a numbered tag at one end and the tag and number are checked at the other end. The driver does not get to open the trailer.

Like you're imagining that the driver owns the truck and trailer and it just gets loaded and unloaded but that's not how 90% of the industry works. Most of the time you just pick up a loaded trailer and drop it off at a hub for a day truck to deliver.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You could easily store a ladder behind the cab/sleeper. However, then you have a guy climbing around on a snowy and icy trailer roof 15 feet off the ground. So do you need to have tie down rails and a fall harness now on every trailer? how about containers?

Having big arch things to clear show at rest areas and truck stops would probably be the better way to go. Oh, but what if the sleeper fairing is higher than the trailer roof? What if it doesn't clear off a hard chunk of ice that later melts a bit and goes flying off anyway?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

iospace posted:

I have no clue how this is relevant to the convo at hand, but you were bitching about how snow flies off semis. I'm saying good luck trying to get people to clean the top of semis off when A. they're basically cardboard boxes with a sturdy floor, and B. people generally don't have the means to.

Is it annoying? Yeah, but nothing can be done about it.

e: ok, will concede "nothing can be done", but given how notoriously frugal trucking companies are, do you think they're going to buy one of those, make the already stretched out too thin truckers spend valuable time to use that?

Probably not (not to say the don't exist, but yeah).

Truckers shouldn't have to be responsible for cleaning ice off their trailers because it's really hard = Landlords shouldn't have to be responsible for cleaning out asbestos and lead paint from their rental properties because it's really hard. Both situations involve people shirking responsibility for their moneymakers, and both situations involve other people potentially getting hurt because of that lack of responsibility.

Really not sure why you're so worked up about this. It's a pretty valid thing to be worried about in the snow.

You can say "good luck with _____" and replace cleaning ice off the top of a truck with any pain-in-the-rear end situation that poses a major safety hazard and it'll still sound equally dumb.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Javid posted:

A substantial majority of trucking these days involves sealed trailers, ie the trailer is sealed with a numbered tag at one end and the tag and number are checked at the other end. The driver does not get to open the trailer.

Like you're imagining that the driver owns the truck and trailer and it just gets loaded and unloaded but that's not how 90% of the industry works. Most of the time you just pick up a loaded trailer and drop it off at a hub for a day truck to deliver.

I mean if the guy took a sleep break at a rest stop in a snowstorm, yeah I'd say it's his responsibility, but I agree, it should primarily be the trucking companies' responsibility to ensure the trailer leaves the facility in good shape, which would include being clear of snow and debris.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I think a big part of the problem is while it does present a real danger, the instances of severe injury or death being caused by ice falling off a truck or trailer have been so rare that it falls into something of a "least concern" category.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Truckers shouldn't have to be responsible for cleaning ice off their trailers because it's really hard = Landlords shouldn't have to be responsible for cleaning out asbestos and lead paint from their rental properties because it's really hard.

Demanding a trucker do dangerous rooftop ice removal is more comparable to mandating that the renter deal with the asbestos rather than the landlord.

Like I wonder if people legitimately comprehend the danger involved in getting up on an icy trailer. It's not like cleaning ice off a car roof you can reach across while standing on the ground. I guarantee any law to that effect would have a bigger bodycount than the "problem" people are so concerned about.

Put the responsibility solely on the company who owns the truck. They have the resources to make that scraper thing or some equivalent available to all their employees.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Javid posted:

Demanding a trucker do dangerous rooftop ice removal is more comparable to mandating that the renter deal with the asbestos rather than the landlord.

Like I wonder if people legitimately comprehend the danger involved in getting up on an icy trailer. It's not like cleaning ice off a car roof you can reach across while standing on the ground. I guarantee any law to that effect would have a bigger bodycount than the "problem" people are so concerned about.

Put the responsibility solely on the company who owns the truck. They have the resources to make that scraper thing or some equivalent available to all their employees.

Nah, you're right. It does need to be an enforced thing, but it should be the company's responsibility.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Dont you get in the way of my capitalism!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

These are the pylons you share a road with

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Are those...bike lanes or something? I'm very confused by double yellows as borders and not road dividers.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Are those...bike lanes or something? I'm very confused by double yellows as borders and not road dividers.

Double yellows along the edge of a road just mean no parking in the UK. In this case it is the access road to a big carpark (serving a castle, a railway station and a supermarket).

That truck further back is obviously exempt from the rules as he has his hazard lights on....

Also, a pair of peacocks showed up as I was trying to take the photo. Later that day one of them was menacing passengers waiting on the platform for the train. Then the noisy train arrived and he poo poo himself and ran off very quickly.

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 27, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I mean if the guy took a sleep break at a rest stop in a snowstorm, yeah I'd say it's his responsibility, but I agree, it should primarily be the trucking companies' responsibility to ensure the trailer leaves the facility in good shape, which would include being clear of snow and debris.

So where should a trucker strap a 13' step ladder on his rig?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

So where should a trucker strap a 13' step ladder on his rig?

There's a handy compartment right by the part of the thread where we already had this argument and I agreed that responsibility should fall on the trucking company, not the driver.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm thinking we put satellites in orbit armed with lasers and melt the snow off vehicles with targeted strikes. If it vaporizes the vehicle that's the risk you run for not being a conscientious driver.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Javid posted:

They have the resources to make that scraper thing or some equivalent available to all their employees.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
gently caress man, just wire up them trailers with a heated roof. I'll take my billion dollar royalties in bitcoin plz.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Something stupid I witnessed...

Semi Pushes S2000 300 Feet Before Noticing

Amazing no one was hurt. Everyone goes at least 60mph through there

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Poor S2000.

Today, at the gas station, I witnessed a lady in a late model X5 with the fuel nozzle in one hand and her cell phone in the other. Not fuelling, with waving it around. After about a minute she poured a liter of 92 Shell V-Power Diesel on the pavement. I backed off to the furthest away pump and didn't stick around to see how it ended.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PT6A posted:

I've de-iced a plane with a hand pump in -15 degree weather, is it significantly worse than that?

Maybe we shouldn't bitch about the legal obligations of operating the vehicles we choose to operate.

I used to work for a furniture place unloading trucks and even we weren't babies about helping clear off the trailers. Hell, I worked that job through a 3 week bout of pneumonia in the dead of winter when it was regularly 20-30 below zero. drat kids need to sack up! :argh:

dee eight posted:

gently caress man, just wire up them trailers with a heated roof. I'll take my billion dollar royalties in bitcoin plz.

Hinged roof that tilts to one side, similar to how a dump truck operates but smaller scale. They could even cheap out and put poles in the trailer, just have a couple dudes inside to push the roof upward and dump any snow/ice.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 28, 2018

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I used to work for a furniture place unloading trucks and even we weren't babies about helping clear off the trailers. Hell, I worked that job through a 3 week bout of pneumonia in the dead of winter when it was regularly 20-30 below zero. drat kids need to sack up! :argh:

Hinged roof that tilts to one side, similar to how a dump truck operates but smaller scale. They could even cheap out and put poles in the trailer, just have a couple dudes inside to push the roof upward and dump any snow/ice.

Go ahead and design a practical version of this.

I'll wait.

:smugbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Last night I invented a frictionless fluid that I intend to patent as a paint you can apply to the top of trailers, just as soon as I figure out how to get it to stick to a surface.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

This conversation wouldn't be happening if all trailers were required to be on fire at all times!!!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

This conversation wouldn't be happening if all trailers were required to be on fire at all times!!!

Just hook up the air brake lines to the top of the trailer so it blows off the snow whenever you tap the brakes. Simple!

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I worked at a warehousing firm in the 90's dealing with short and long haul drivers. I 100% guarantee that they could not give a flying gently caress about snow/parts of trailers falling off. Also the only trailers in decent shape were the owner/ops that own their box. Easy to spot because they had 4000 lights on them. Company trailers (Schneider/Swift/Interstate/etc) and local stuff were road and health hazards just sitting still.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Is there an accepted way of getting the moron behind you to turn their high beams off? Flashing my lights off and on never works.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Let them pass you or aim all your mirrors out of the way. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Is there an accepted way of getting the moron behind you to turn their high beams off? Flashing my lights off and on never works.
Yell "Yeeeee-ha" and floor it.