Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pfft, this is my backlog for the next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Think you'll find that's an accessory pack, and there's a couple of kits with custom-tailored accessory packs in the line :ssh:. The Grimoire one has a sweet little VTOL helicopter unit, and you can get the Seravee Scherazade's Ptolemaios on its own.

Oh I know that one's the accessory pack but Hobby Japan magazine has confirmed the full model for June release, with pics.

"The HGBD 'Gundam 00 Diver Ace', which combines the 00 Diver and Diver Ace Unit packs, is confirmed for a June release. If you've already bought both separately perhaps you could challenge yourself to try a different method of construction this time."

"<^ The backpack can be opened to form wings." [HGBD Gundam 00 Diver Ace () Manufacturer / Bandai Hobby () 2160 Yen, scheduled for June () 1:144, approx. 13.5cm () Plastic model kit]

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Marx Headroom posted:

Geeze louise I just ordered an HG on eBay at lunch.

Now I'm going to have a backlog :negative:

Join the closet filling sensation that's sweeping the nation.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am3TYssO55w

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Why is it called Figure-riseLABO? Does it have anything to do with the Nintendo Switch?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
TL Note: Labo is Japanese for lab

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Okay, while I know this stuff can be creepy, that is pretty goddamn impressive for a plastic snap together model kit. It looks like a PVC figure.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know it's kind of a moot point with online marketplaces, but for people who like to frequent local hobby shops, how prevalent are 1/100 No Grade kits? My local shop gets a decent selection of MGs and RE 1/100 kits, but I've never seen any of the older No Grade kits. I'm kind of in love with my High Grade Tieren and I hear the 1/100 scale version is even better while also being dirt cheap.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The shading on that Fumina kit isn't painted. It's two layers of plastic with the top layer thin enough in some places that it's slightly transparent

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
What the gently caress

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I can't wait to rip that awful anime face off and put a Gundam head on it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If they put that kind of effort in across the whole line, the next Dragon Ball kits are gonna rule

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

The shading on that Fumina kit isn't painted. It's two layers of plastic with the top layer thin enough in some places that it's slightly transparent

Frikkin magic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If they put that kind of effort in across the whole line, the next Dragon Ball kits are gonna rule

I think Figure-Rise Labo is a separate line of fixed-pose kits. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to do that kind of shading in an articulated kit

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Guy Goodbody posted:

When will we get flesh gundams

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serenade posted:

When will we get flesh gundams

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Anyone else remember how we used to think Bandai had figured out to stop sexualizing Fumina around the midpoint of BFT by giving her actual clothes to wear? :sigh:

Also holy poo poo, Bandai have pretty just taken out the entire PVC figure market with that line if the quality is that good :stare:.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg1h3TSBCaV/

John Boyega bought the fucken Neo Zeong.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone else remember how we used to think Bandai had figured out to stop sexualizing Fumina around the midpoint of BFT by giving her actual clothes to wear? :sigh:

Also holy poo poo, Bandai have pretty just taken out the entire PVC figure market with that line if the quality is that good :stare:.

Very pricy though, 6,000 yen for that one

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Puddin posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg1h3TSBCaV/

John Boyega bought the fucken Neo Zeong.

Nice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Booyah- posted:

Very pricy though, 6,000 yen for that one

If that's the average, it's $60 vs $150+.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Okay, while I know this stuff can be creepy, that is pretty goddamn impressive for a plastic snap together model kit. It looks like a PVC figure.

Yeah, setting aside anything else, the engineering is insane. Bandai's baseline is way ahead of most other model kits you see bringing their A game, and when they experiment, it's sometimes amazing.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
How good are the limited edition clear kits? I’m looking at the RG 1/144 Build Strike Gundam Full Package RG System Image Color in particular.

I’m also seeing a wide variance in price. It was originally priced at 2,700 yen, lowest I can find is around $35 or so. If I’m in the US, is that markup just the magic of P-Bandai or am I getting ripped off?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Solkanar512 posted:

How good are the limited edition clear kits? I’m looking at the RG 1/144 Build Strike Gundam Full Package RG System Image Color in particular.

I’m also seeing a wide variance in price. It was originally priced at 2,700 yen, lowest I can find is around $35 or so. If I’m in the US, is that markup just the magic of P-Bandai or am I getting ripped off?

The limited edition ones are as good in quality as their original version. And if they say Limited Edition, Bandai often means it considering they'll do one-shot runs of kits exclusively for a public event. $35 is a good price for one.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The limited edition ones are as good in quality as their original version. And if they say Limited Edition, Bandai often means it considering they'll do one-shot runs of kits exclusively for a public event. $35 is a good price for one.

Yeah they're good, I got a clear Heavyarms HG in Japan last year and it looks totally awesome.

One thing with clear parts though is that they can be a lot more brittle than normal plastic, just take care with them and it's all good. Sanding down nubs is a chore if you stuff them up to get them back to a proper clear finish.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Nubs aren't too bad, just use some water to clean off plastic dust after.

Clear kits are pretty cool, though IMO the MG ones work better than the HG ones since they have nice skeleton bits to show off.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Nubs aren't too bad, just use some water to clean off plastic dust after.

Clear kits are pretty cool, though IMO the MG ones work better than the HG ones since they have nice skeleton bits to show off.

It depends a little on the kit. The MG Sazabi Ka looks like a wad of grey plastic in clear kit form.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
IMO, the clear kits > opaque crystal/pearl kits. The 00 Raiser Trans-Am clear RG is amazeballs. I built mine with a chrome painted inner frame and man, does it pop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MJP posted:

IMO, the clear kits > opaque crystal/pearl kits. The 00 Raiser Trans-Am clear RG is amazeballs. I built mine with a chrome painted inner frame and man, does it pop.

I have the transparent Barbatos Gundam HG, and it looks fantastic thanks to the IBO kits all having an internal skeleton.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I've caught up with last year's backlog, and lately I've been doing one RG a month due to budget constraints. I've also been trying out the new Action Bases (spoiler - they're great).

Then I got my tax refund, and now...

Not pictured are about a dozen more Action Base 5s, as well as 4 more kits that are still in route (Gouf R35, Leopard Da Vinci, Gyancelot, and RG Char's Z'Gok). I've also got the Galaxy Cosmos, Loheng-Rinko, Leo, and RG Tallgeese on pre-order, and I'm still deciding on which MGs to pick up once I get caught up with all of these 1/144s. A trip to the nearest Ikea to pick up a couple of Detolfs is currently being planned.

My wallet is currently sitting in the corner weeping.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
is there anywhere to try and preorder the Woundwort? I desperately wanna get it but anywhere that might be taking stock of it sold out on preorders almost immediately.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They really don't do you any favours on the sprue connection points on the little Trowas, do they.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Important to note that in the hour long intro video for the new line, they mentioned Bandai are attempting to patent this technology. Also there was a good 30 minutes of Max Watanabe being super impressed but also kinda super mad at the same time.

Apparently Labo is gonna be a flagship line for new technologies, sort of like concept cars, so some of the tech will trickle down to the regular lines but there won't be any regular releases. The goal for Labo 1 was skin and it took 2 years to complete. Labo 2 is going to be clothes and hair.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That's wild!

I got the metal build Mazinger from Infinity shown earlier and it looks way better in hand and without the scrander.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Important to note that in the hour long intro video for the new line, they mentioned Bandai are attempting to patent this technology. Also there was a good 30 minutes of Max Watanabe being super impressed but also kinda super mad at the same time.

Apparently Labo is gonna be a flagship line for new technologies, sort of like concept cars, so some of the tech will trickle down to the regular lines but there won't be any regular releases. The goal for Labo 1 was skin and it took 2 years to complete. Labo 2 is going to be clothes and hair.

I still say the real question is whether Bandai'll manage to achieve that goal before a mob of angry PVC statue-makers try to burn their factories down and kill anyone who has the knowledge to replicate the Labo line statue kits so their triple-digit-priced sexualized cash cows remain safe.

edit: Slightly off-topic but why the gently caress did nobody tell me HLJ has little Wallace and Gromit figures for preorder?! :shepspends:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 30, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh god

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If you're gonna simulate subsurface scattering you'll need something the color of blood and muscle

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Might just be the pic, but that shading effect doesnt really show there. Maybe if they had a copy of the top layer by itself next to it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

Might just be the pic, but that shading effect doesnt really show there. Maybe if they had a copy of the top layer by itself next to it.

look at the cheeks. It's subtle, but it's there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I wonder when people are going to figure out how to do this with special, translucent paints. The answer better not be "hundreds of years ago"