Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Pharohman777 posted:

There totally needs to be a Lavos-type leviathan that can reproduce by burrowing into planets and destroying them like a planet cracker as its spawn head to new planets to grow and continue the cycle.

Or maybe an ancient shroud entity can be unsealed if you crack the wrong planet.

People already flip their poo poo when a Wraith tears their empires apart, this would be basically just another type of Wraith, spawning from planets instead of from stars.

I mean, I'd like it, but I'm also not above cheating a space monster to death if leaving it alive would be too boring. (As in, "a Wraith walked through all of our systems and destroyed everything")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I've done two runs as a machine empire and robo traits were working properly on the beta patch. That's the synthetic dawn hive mind variant, so if you're talking about regular synthetic ascension I haven't checked that one out since 2.0.

yeah I'm definitely not getting trait points. Just researched another trait point research and still nothing. Probably a mod issue. Hmmmm

edit: I found the issue, it's something from my personal mod. Move along nothing to see

Garfu fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 29, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Anticheese posted:

Utopia adds advisor voices for each of the ethoses.
This is incorrect! The ethos and hive mind voices are from Synthetic Dawn.

Pharohman777 posted:

There totally needs to be a Lavos-type leviathan that can reproduce by burrowing into planets and destroying them like a planet cracker as its spawn head to new planets to grow and continue the cycle.

Or maybe an ancient shroud entity can be unsealed if you crack the wrong planet.
I'm hoping mid-game crises become more if a thing. We have the great khan and now the wraith triggers at the mid point, I'd love if there was a chance of a wraith mass hatching event or something. Planet cracking aliens exploding out of a bunch of random barren planets and making a beeline for some populated worlds would be sweet.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mountaineer posted:

Same. The conditions for getting the Contingency or the Unbidden are just too common.

The game needs some kind of hidden counter: Every time a crisis didn't get chosen, it should get its chance for your next game boosted.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Libluini posted:

The game needs some kind of hidden counter: Every time a crisis didn't get chosen, it should get its chance for your next game boosted.

Just get the mod that has them all happen. Occasionally at the same time :shepface:

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Gyrotica posted:

Just get the mod that has them all happen. Occasionally at the same time :shepface:

This is fine.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Gyrotica posted:

Do....do they fight each other?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Three Stooges crisis actually makes the game easier, but w/e.

I'd like if the ether drake raided mineral rich systems then returned to its nest, or the stellarite would finish consuming a sun every 100 years and move on. Just things to make leviathans have more an impact on the galaxy, rather than roadblocks you ignore until you have enough fleet power. You could balance out the downsides like the marauders - damaging the ether drake could drop debris that gives you research bonuses and drives it off faster, for example.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nickiepoo posted:

Do....do they fight each other?

Thankfully yes, but it pretty much makes the Defender of the Galaxy perk pick a requirement.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Libluini posted:

People already flip their poo poo when a Wraith tears their empires apart, this would be basically just another type of Wraith, spawning from planets instead of from stars.

I mean, I'd like it, but I'm also not above cheating a space monster to death if leaving it alive would be too boring. (As in, "a Wraith walked through all of our systems and destroyed everything")

Yeah but the problem with the Wraith was the fact that it showed up way too early, before you had a chance to defeat it unless you really worked at it (this is fixed now). If you have a colossus defeating a leviathan should not be a big deal. It would just need to have a bit of a warning before it spawned so that you can get the colossus out of the way.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I just succeeded on a grimacing planet and got a size 25. :krakentoot: :toot: :krakentoot: Not bad resources either.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm still new at this game and reading the beginner's guide wiki. There's an icon in its top right saying the article is considered accurate for 2.0.

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Beginner%27s_guide

But then it has comments like this: "Another idea that can be executed during the home system survey is to split the starting three-corvette fleet into individual ships in Evasive Mode and use them to scout for colonizable systems and hostile entities."

But like, I look at my covettes, and they don't have "Evasive" mode. They have a passive mode. Same thing, I guess? And I don't see how they can scout for colonizable systems? I need a science ship to survey systems for that, right?

What else in the beginner's wiki is just wrong for 2.0?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah but the problem with the Wraith was the fact that it showed up way too early, before you had a chance to defeat it unless you really worked at it (this is fixed now). If you have a colossus defeating a leviathan should not be a big deal. It would just need to have a bit of a warning before it spawned so that you can get the colossus out of the way.

Point, but a Lavos-type enemy could get infuriating even beyond that, since the Wraith at least doesn't take planets away. Theoretically, you can always rebuild after the space monsters passed through. A Lavos-monster would kill planets permanently, which probably would only infuriate players, instead of being a fun event.

Though it could work if the planet doesn't get fully destroyed and instead you get something like a worthless version of a tomb world, let's call it "Resource Depleted Tomb World" and you would need to terraform it back into a normal planet. That would hurt, but not permanently. Given enough time, you could repair the damage left by rampaging Lavos-type leviathans.

And since we're spitballing new ideas for space monsters: I'd like to see a Graken-type of monster. Graken only show up in a SF-series by a German author, but they're kind of disturbing, as they are dream eaters who live inside stars. People living in a stretch of space under their control lose all their will to live and slowly wither away. Even worse: Their own dreams spill over into reality as they can create weird pseudo-aliens, complete with pseudo-spaceships, to terrorize potential enemies. If a Graken is killed (which is hard, since most of the time they're hiding inside a loving sun), all their dream alien people suffer the same fate their victims did: They wither away.

They're also from another universe altogether, where they depopulated most of the known universe until they met an alien civilization as old and powerful as their own, and after many millions of years at war, they created a protection against the Graken's dream eating powers and then they hunted them down until a single planet was left. Then some dumb Human psykers in our universe let the few survivors through, causing untold atrocities.

So anyway, I imagine you could make it so a psionic race has a tiny chance after mid-game hits to accidentally let one of them through, and the Graken would then infect the sun of the system where the event happened. The population (non-machine) would slowly die or suffer severe production-penalties (machine) and if you don't research a way to stop the fucker, it would start spawning creepy servant-races which looked like mirror-images of your nightmares, complete with fleets and them showing up as armies, capable of occupying your worlds.

The end would either be you finding a way to kill the Graken, or the Graken spreading to other suns and forming their own, life-eating empire. At that point the monsters could even fire as an end-game crisis if you let them grow for too long!

OK, but that's enough crazy poo poo, in other news I've restarted with my favorite machine race again. This time, I looked at some other shipsets of that Cola-guy who made the Kurogane-mod and I gave another machine race the "STREGA"-shipset. Now those determined exterminators will have properly evil-looking ships when I encounter them!

(Kurogane-ships look kind of blocky with super details, while the Strega-ships are more flat/triangle-shaped, if that makes sense. Just go to the workshop and subscribe them already! They look really awesome.)

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Libluini posted:

OK, but that's enough crazy poo poo, in other news I've restarted with my favorite machine race again. This time, I looked at some other shipsets of that Cola-guy who made the Kurogane-mod and I gave another machine race the "STREGA"-shipset. Now those determined exterminators will have properly evil-looking ships when I encounter them!

Based on his profile picture, I would like to believe that he is actually PEPSIMAN modding ship appearances into the game as a hobby.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

pmchem posted:

I'm still new at this game and reading the beginner's guide wiki. There's an icon in its top right saying the article is considered accurate for 2.0.

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Beginner%27s_guide

But then it has comments like this: "Another idea that can be executed during the home system survey is to split the starting three-corvette fleet into individual ships in Evasive Mode and use them to scout for colonizable systems and hostile entities."

But like, I look at my covettes, and they don't have "Evasive" mode. They have a passive mode. Same thing, I guess? And I don't see how they can scout for colonizable systems? I need a science ship to survey systems for that, right?

What else in the beginner's wiki is just wrong for 2.0?

The only thing I noticed on a quick read through is that it recommends prioritizing food production on new planets. This isn't necessary any more as food is an empire wide resource now instead of per planet so you just need to ensure that you have sufficient food production somewhere in your empire as you expand.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Corvettes cannot scout anymore, the accuracy is a lie.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

Corvettes cannot scout anymore, the accuracy is a lie.

So what do you guys do with your initial trio of corvettes, other than shoot anything that shows up and needs shooting?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Should be an out of control Von Neumann Probe crisis that turns anything it comes across into more of itself, from ships to pops to planets to stars.

(Must be a Paperclip Maximizer, of course)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

pmchem posted:

So what do you guys do with your initial trio of corvettes, other than shoot anything that shows up and needs shooting?

Leave them alone until you either need them or upgrade your sensors

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Ms Adequate posted:

Should be an out of control Von Neumann Probe crisis that turns anything it comes across into more of itself, from ships to pops to planets to stars.

(Must be a Paperclip Maximizer, of course)

Paperclip maximizer sounds so loving dumb and I hate that it's just Grey Goo again

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

pmchem posted:

Some people disband them as they cost you more minerals in upkeep than just rebuilding them when you colonize and actually need ships. It's a small savings though so I just leave them be.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Eltoasto posted:

Some people disband them as they cost you more minerals in upkeep than just rebuilding them when you colonize and actually need ships. It's a small savings though so I just leave them be.

I just leave them orbiting my home world because I'm not a heartless soul. :>

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There should be formerly 'locked off' patches of space that become visible through the mid-lategame as (dark matter tides/shroud/sensors/etc) make new hyperlanes linking to undiscovered systems appear.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Eltoasto posted:

This is pretty needless micro that is going to just catch new players off-guard nearly every time with pirate spawns.

What you actually do with your initial 3 ships is keep them in orbit, and aim to fit in another 2 ships and an admiral when you're getting around 8-10 years into the game to fight off the pirates that spawn.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Buncha Paradox stuff is on sale for Easter, including all things Stellaris except Apocalypse: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/on-sale/

:getin:

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

The wiki also lies about the best fleet composition to take out the Dimensional Horror, because it just ate 50k worth of delicious mollusc people ships.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Since when do you not need to vote to invite people into your federation?

Some precocious little erudite explorer worms that were being munched on by fanatical purifier geckos asked me to be part of their federation. I'm playing Rogue Servitor as usual, with the goal of maybe actually conquering the galaxy this time, so I wasn't planing on doing too much with federations, but these guys were so sweet, I figured I'd let them run their own affairs and be my federation buddies.

Well not too long after there's another group of harmless little scientists and a vote comes up to let them in the federation and I figure they're fine too... except shortly after that the new guys invite someone else into the federation and I have no input on that decision. Those new people invite someone else unilaterally, who invite someone else and so on, until the next thing I know this federation has cascaded around the galaxy and now my evangelizing zealot neighbor who I hated and was going to put in time out is now part of my federation.

The galaxy is now a mess, half the empires are part of this federation, with no semblance of common ideology or common threat.

It's a really unsatisfying way to end the game. I just got to the midgame, and now I'm in a position where all I've got to do is wait until the endgame crisis, because my federation basically controls the galaxy.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eiba posted:

Since when do you not need to vote to invite people into your federation?

Some precocious little erudite explorer worms that were being munched on by fanatical purifier geckos asked me to be part of their federation. I'm playing Rogue Servitor as usual, with the goal of maybe actually conquering the galaxy this time, so I wasn't planing on doing too much with federations, but these guys were so sweet, I figured I'd let them run their own affairs and be my federation buddies.

Well not too long after there's another group of harmless little scientists and a vote comes up to let them in the federation and I figure they're fine too... except shortly after that the new guys invite someone else into the federation and I have no input on that decision. Those new people invite someone else unilaterally, who invite someone else and so on, until the next thing I know this federation has cascaded around the galaxy and now my evangelizing zealot neighbor who I hated and was going to put in time out is now part of my federation.

The galaxy is now a mess, half the empires are part of this federation, with no semblance of common ideology or common threat.

It's a really unsatisfying way to end the game. I just got to the midgame, and now I'm in a position where all I've got to do is wait until the endgame crisis, because my federation basically controls the galaxy.

leave the federation because it's betrayed your ideals and go on a rampage

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

But only after your next turn as president where you disband the entire federation fleet

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you only need 51% votes in a federation to do something, so unless you're playing multiplayer with someone, your vote doesn't matter much past 1 ally :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bloody hellfire but the crystal entity destruction route reward is good. 500 minerals per fleet defeated.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Hungry posted:

The wiki also lies about the best fleet composition to take out the Dimensional Horror, because it just ate 50k worth of delicious mollusc people ships.

As I understand it, it hasn't been updated for 2.0 at all. Same with that beginners guide; it was written pre-2.0, where you could scout with corvettes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

OwlFancier posted:

Bloody hellfire but the crystal entity destruction route reward is good. 500 minerals per fleet defeated.

There's an equivalent for Ancient Mining Drones, too.

I've heard the reward is less for some types of governments, but as a Rogue Servitor I got both at 500 per.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

There's an equivalent for Ancient Mining Drones, too.

I've heard the reward is less for some types of governments, but as a Rogue Servitor I got both at 500 per.

Ordinarily I go for prismatic lenses but that's not available to militarist/materialists, possibly only xenophiles. And crystal sonar is crap, but yeah I'm taking that many minerals. I never used to bother with mining drone salvage because that was crap and I'd rather have droning optimizations, but then again that's not available to everyone either.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Followup to the border gore that I posted the other day:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bloodly posted:

As I understand it, it hasn't been updated for 2.0 at all. Same with that beginners guide; it was written pre-2.0, where you could scout with corvettes.

Parts of the wiki have been updated but not all.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ulmont posted:

Parts of the wiki have been updated but not all.

You'd think this is what the infobox at the top right of each page is for, telling you what version that page is accurate for.

I guess someone editing the wiki disagrees with that idea though!

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
What's a good mod for adding lots of traditions to the game? I've seen the cultural overhaul mod, but it looks like it also has a feature that makes adopting different tradition trees affect ethics attraction amongst pops. I'm not really interested in that, so is there something that adds lots of traditions without otherwise touching the political system in the game?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Hungry posted:

Delicious should be a negative racial trait that opens up a new population control option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

prometheusbound2 posted:

What's a good mod for adding lots of traditions to the game? I've seen the cultural overhaul mod, but it looks like it also has a feature that makes adopting different tradition trees affect ethics attraction amongst pops. I'm not really interested in that, so is there something that adds lots of traditions without otherwise touching the political system in the game?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1340352704

Only thing is a couple of them don't work since they're overwritten by other. So far I've found the top industry one doesn't work but everything else does so far.