Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

i hope they add orcs soon

chaos choice: ork character to play as.

Phlegmish posted:

Which weapon combo is recommended for the Witch Hunter Captain? I often see Saltzpyres with a ridiculously fast rapier kind of thing.

I loving love the rapier with him. The flail is pretty fun but it's extremely difficult to pick anything else because the rapier comes with an infinite ammo side pistol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I'm not sure Victor even has any bad melee weapons. Falchion is borderline broken, rapier handles just about anything like a champ, flail ignores shields and apparently has the single highest cleave mass in the game, on its heavy attacks? I suppose axe is a bit slow, but still totally workable, and I haven't tried his greatsword, so maybe that?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Greatsword is quite solid, from the short time I've been using it. The axe is the only one I really don't like, I wanted to use it as an anti-armor weapon but the cadence never worked for me. Flail is okay but I have similar problems with it, I have to be extremely deliberate with the swings rather than blendering things like I prefer doing.

I generally use falchion on WHC and BH and greatsword on Zealot, though I feel like I should be working in the rapier more often especially on BH for the passive synergy.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The pistols lets you do some cute stuff sometimes, but honestly my big draw to the Rapier is the lightning-fast and consistent animations. You never get tied down in a swing, and you can always rely on what's gonna come out when you click the button.

Both the animations are also pretty good at their jobs - light attacks mulch hordes, heavy pokes specials in the eye.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks. I'll start out with rapier and ease into falchion eventually.

As for ranged, the dual pistols?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
beta hosed over the cleave on the falchion so it's kind of in an awkward spot of being better at armor than the rapier but hits a few more dudes than the axe. i think you're going to see a lot less of it going forward, absent any other changes to it. the hand axe is the same as bardin's. great damage but it only ever hits one thing.

the claymore is much the same as kruber's, which is basically 'okay' but nothing special. definitely better at crowd control than any of victor's other weapons, but victor's not your go-to for crowd control in the first place so shrug

with ranged you want either the repeater pistol or the volley crossbow, i still recommend the volley over the repeater since it is way less niche but the repeater's a meme weapon so you'll see a lot of people going that route

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Coolguye posted:

beta hosed over the cleave on the falchion so it's kind of in an awkward spot of being better at armor than the rapier but hits a few more dudes than the axe.

To be fair this is exactly what it did in game 1 and it was fantastic there.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I like the axe on the BH for being the fastest way to smack a rat down to refresh blessed shots, but I honestly might just be trying to justify it because I love the visceral smash of the axe

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Giant Isopod posted:

I like the axe on the BH for being the fastest way to smack a rat down to refresh blessed shots, but I honestly might just be trying to justify it because I love the visceral smash of the axe

Yeah, if you're just looking for a single rat kill to really get to work on your infinite ammo volleybow, a rapier stab to the head is a lot faster.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it really danced the razor's edge in VT1, though. any less damage and it wouldn't have been worth taking versus the more specialized weapons. any less cleave and it wouldn't have been worth taking over the axe on that front.

hero power very explicitly does not do razor's edge.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Might just stick with rapier then, I hadn't taken the upcoming changes into account.

I like the volley crossbow from watching other people use it, so that'll probably be my main ranged weapon.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 30, 2018

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I haven't tried it in the beta yet, but 2h sword hasn't seemed viable to me. It's ok against slave/zealot hordes, but its poor armor damage from V1 has just been doubled down on by the addition of shielded enemies that it also performs really poorly against.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It works on the bounty hunter because you have non-ammo-consuming critical shots to blow up armor with, it works a lot less well on kruber because the blunderbuss is the closest you have to that (which doesn't really work against chaos warriors) and he can use the sword which is better at CC anyway

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part of me wants to see if i can make doomdwarf work out on higher difficulties, because the grudgeraker is fun and it's nice to give some supporty benefits to the team. i'm really used to ironbreaker, though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Going from Ironbreaker to WHC it will be difficult to get used to being mortal again

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

part of me wants to see if i can make doomdwarf work out on higher difficulties, because the grudgeraker is fun and it's nice to give some supporty benefits to the team. i'm really used to ironbreaker, though.

Works super well on champion. Haven't tried it in legendary or the beta though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i mean these other weapons aren't useless or nonfunctional or anything but i'd be wary of the idea that they are a city on a hill somehow. i've seen a bunch of people use them very effectively and they look like great fun while they do it. i just don't want folks to think they're some sort of high skill ceiling cure all because they're not.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Going from Ironbreaker to WHC it will be difficult to get used to being mortal again

WHC has infinite block actually.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nanomashoes posted:

WHC has infinite block actually.

Against Light attacks but yes.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Am I correct in reading "highest attainable hero power" as extremely misleading and only applying to HP in terms of scaling you down to that maximum? All else being equal, until my ilvl is close to 200 i'm still going to get upgrades just as fast from veteran chests as champion chests (therefore farm veteran)?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Xaris posted:

Halescourge is OK, its short at least. but imo Skittergate should not be part of Quick Join or something, idk how they'd handle it but it loving sucks since its twice as long as anything else, and generally a lot harder and more likely to wipe, plus yeah you dont want to go int with 2 grims usually so even less reward.

my secret is never beating the armored skaven boss so that I never can queue for skittergate

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Cowcaster posted:

i have absolutely no problem getting to the second grim on righteous stand but i'll be goddamned if climbing back down the ladder to drop safely hasn't caused me and several people i've played with to go splat

Instead of going down the ladder, jump to the keep door on the ramp. It's higher than the ground.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Antares posted:

Am I correct in reading "highest attainable hero power" as extremely misleading and only applying to HP in terms of scaling you down to that maximum? All else being equal, until my ilvl is close to 200 i'm still going to get upgrades just as fast from veteran chests as champion chests (therefore farm veteran)?

what

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Antares posted:

Yes. You can also farm for items above hero power 200 in veteran, if you lvl up other classes and open up the level up chests.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Antares posted:

you are conflating two very different concepts. there are highest attainable HP which is what chests rewards can give you being earned from that difficulty; and then there are hidden HP caps on recruit/vet. currently they don't work, but are set to 200 on Recruit and 400 on Vet to make it harder to power-farm lower difficulties and trivialize it.

but yes, until your ilevel is 200, it's best to farm Vet chests otherwise you'll be earning like 176 chests from Champ and kind of "wasting" it so to speak.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xaris posted:

but yes, until your ilevel is 200, it's best to farm Vet chests otherwise you'll be earning like 176 chests from Champ and kind of "wasting" it so to speak.

He could get a red item from one of those chest so its not that wasteful.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tenzarin posted:

He could get a red item from one of those chest so its not that wasteful.

they aren't that useful since HP is one of the most important properties, it would Feel Very Bad to have a red ilvl 148 necklace.

also probably less likely to win. but whatever is most fun for you is the most important part so do w/e

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Antares posted:

Farming veteran is wise until you hit 200 item level on one of your 5 slots, unless you are very confident in your abilities and are starting to find veteran boring and a snooze. This will probably happen in your mid teens. You'll progress just as fast from either vet or champ chests (each has a chance to give a +/- 10 level item from the highest you've seen) until you cap out. Once you hit 200, champion chests or commendation chests from leveling will increase your item power.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Xaris posted:

they aren't that useful since HP is one of the most important properties, it would Feel Very Bad to have a red ilvl 148 necklace.

also probably less likely to win. but whatever is most fun for you is the most important part so do w/e

But reds are always 300.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

equip axe and shield for melee, play like an ib when needed. done

doomdorf is real fun

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

What’s the best traits for Slayer? I’ve been using Hack and Slash, Crippping Wound, Moving Target, and Grudge-Borne so far as those seem like the obvious ones to me

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Did a patch go out today or something because i played some games in vet with pubbies and we got our poo poo rekt

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Did a patch go out today or something because i played some games in vet with pubbies and we got our poo poo rekt

Friday night so a lot of pubbies who are bad come out on the weekends

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What’s the best traits for Slayer? I’ve been using Hack and Slash, Crippping Wound, Moving Target, and Grudge-Borne so far as those seem like the obvious ones to me

The survivability talents are much, much better than the damage ones imo. Slayer already does plenty of damage. Staying alive is the hard part. The one that caps the damage you can take is particularly nice on higher difficulties.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Friday night so a lot of pubbies who are bad come out on the weekends

yea i guess so i just did a champ and the team got whiped on war camp half way through and i had most damage as ironbreaker, with like 1200 above anyone else

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Xaris posted:

All reds are 300 HP regardless of your own HP. I got a red handgun at ~140 HP per item so i went from getting 149-150 HP from chests to 170-180 per chest because of my red.

I personally wait until lv20 so i can get the temp hp's talent because your a liability on champ until you get that. I've ran my lv16 pyro on champ but that was with my friend and i used regen so i didn't have to hog healing. Honestly it depends on the group though because you either have to be carried or you end up carrying someone else, if your low level and you end up carrying higher levels then they shouldn't bitch but the reverse is true also.

They should show hero power in the tab section so pubbies can stop screaming at me for bringing my lv1 into vet. Bitch i have 300 hero power and i know what a melee weapon is, while your lv28 rear end is still playing loving vet.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

if the beta is the game working as intended, I might put it on hold if they put this in the main branch without changing much. reminds me of how awful the phase 3 beta felt.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Someone explain how to play Handmaiden properly. Anytime I do I just regret not going Waystalker instead.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Digirat posted:

if the beta is the game working as intended, I might put it on hold if they put this in the main branch without changing much. reminds me of how awful the phase 3 beta felt.

I kind of feel the same.

I'm not a great player, never will be. I play in champ, I like a challenge and its enough of a challenge to be fun, and to feel like I can take whatever class into it and succeed. I don't know if this is the sentiment you were going for but if they want you to be stressed out for 20 minutes instead of smashing rats and having fun for 20 minutes, then I'll take a break until they get the fundamental systems that are behind the game actually working.

Really this game should've come out around June at the earliest. About HALF the poo poo in the game right now actually works, we've just never noticed it until now. This is the QA phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I really forgot how loving dumb it is to have to humor a single enemy out of 50 until it's done with its ten second minigame and you're allowed to do a thing again