Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Would an accent like Mother Giselle's compared to Leliana's come from a different part of France? They're so different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pattonesque posted:

There was a sizable contingent of people who were all on Leliana's VA for having a fake French accent when she's from, like, actual Paris

She's French Canadian IIRC.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

She's French Canadian IIRC.

Quick wiki check says nope, she's mostly a French stage actress. She's also done a lot of stuff in London, so maybe some British infected her accent.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Which is still appropriate, since you find Leliana living in fantasy England.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
People have become so used to the faux-accents that they think the real accents are fake. At least, when I see the most complaining about accents being wrong it's usually when the actor/ress is using their native accent.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I wasn’t expecting plotting gold, but when the characters brag about what masters of intrigue the Orlesian nobles are I thought things would be better than the assassin telling you that they’re an assassin and leaving you to fend off their “trap” of one fade rift when you’re renowned as the person who closes fade rifts every day.

The ball was pretty fun though. I brought Sera and Iron Bull to stick it to the man.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 28, 2018

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

eating only apples posted:

I always get a kick out of Solas lurking in the background looking irritated
More of a "haha look at these fuckers" to me - he gets that smirk going and it's great if you're playing an elf.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I just found this thread. Dragon Age Origins and 2 were my first ever WRPGs back at the end of 2014. I will always love and appreciate them for that. I also think they both are good games.

Of course I know the general attitude towards DA2. I was just kinda curious if people at least thought the Arishok was hands down the best antagonist in the series thus far? I love that he doesn't even have to be an antagonist, you can do what I did on my first run and say "Isabela, you caused all this so gently caress off." Hell, the whole earning the Arishok's respect thing was also genius. Great voice and design, too.

DA2 made me think the Qunari were the best parts of the setting.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

The Arishok was fine but other people seem to think he's more interesting than I do. I'd rank him below Loghain and Solas in terms of interesting motivation and depth.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
People mostly like the Arishok because he hates the bullshit game he's stuck in as much as the player does.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
da2 qunari character design is way better & more alien than inquisition where ur just putting a qunari Snapchat filter over a human

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Stroop There It Is posted:

The Arishok was fine but other people seem to think he's more interesting than I do. I'd rank him below Loghain and Solas in terms of interesting motivation and depth.

I liked the Arishok a lot, but I would also put him in a rank below those two characters you mentioned.

If we go to Tevinter in the next game, it's likely that there will be once again heavy Qunari involvement. Come to think of it, the only games that did not feature them prominently was Origins.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

We paid for the horns, we’re gonna use the horns

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I forget the Arishok even exists until I suddenly have to talk to him/kill him.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

PureRok posted:

People have become so used to the faux-accents that they think the real accents are fake. At least, when I see the most complaining about accents being wrong it's usually when the actor/ress is using their native accent.

I always think of Daphne from Fraiser who is from where I'm from in the UK but they forced her to use a weird fake accent for her role because they told her nobody would understand her.

NikkolasKing posted:

So I just found this thread. Dragon Age Origins and 2 were my first ever WRPGs back at the end of 2014. I will always love and appreciate them for that. I also think they both are good games.

I can't imagine a world where my first western RPG was Dragon Age 2. Or that if Origins was your first and DA2 your second you still somehow enjoyed the second game!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Taear posted:

I can't imagine a world where my first western RPG was Dragon Age 2. Or that if Origins was your first and DA2 your second you still somehow enjoyed the second game!

My WRPG play order went: DAO > DA2 > ME1 > ME2 > ME3 > Fallout 3 and NV and Fable Trilogy and Skyrim and yeah, kinda breaks down around here in terms of my memory.

But I mean, DA2 had the best relationship system I've ever seen in a BioWare game. I thought it had a much more fun battle system than DAO. One thing it had over any other DA game was the battle dialogue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa8CHfVk4IA

After how immersive this made DA2 combat, the deafening silence within my party in DAI made it even less fun to play than it already was. Seriously, I cannot express how much I love that every character in DA2 has a special reaction to stuff happening to other characters.

(Anders is KOed)
Aveline: That moody mage is down.

Naturally I missed the origins in DA2. Some of the origins like Dwarf Noble could be their own game and be amazing. I could see myself playing a whole game of just that. I also missed being able to talk to my companions whenever I really felt like it. DAO has a much more satisfying climax than DA2 does.

I like both games a lot. It's apples and oranges for me.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 30, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought it had a much more fun battle system than DAO.

Oh, you're insane. That's fine then.

Like, I hate combat, I am completely down with it being really easy or really simple. And even with that I was annoyed by the stupid way DA2 did it. You went from having total control in DA:O to having none at all and it kept teasing you that the fight was over and another wave would just pop in out of nowhere.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Taear posted:

Oh, you're insane. That's fine then.

Like, I hate combat, I am completely down with it being really easy or really simple. And even with that I was annoyed by the stupid way DA2 did it. You went from having total control in DA:O to having none at all and it kept teasing you that the fight was over and another wave would just pop in out of nowhere.

The controls were literally identical between the two games besides auto-attack not being a thing on console until they patched it in.

2 also did wave combat because Origins mostly boiled down to 'unload your best AOE' to nuke literally every fight in the game. I don't think it ended up working that well in practice, but it was an interesting idea and I'd like to see more encounter design expanding on it in the future tbh. Having to actually conserve resources in normal fights for waves and not just alpha strike everything has a nice combat feel most other rpgs don't do outside of boss fights.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
DA2 battle system is infinitely superior to DAO, where in DAO it takes your character 15 minutes to swing a sword. DA2 combat flows very very well.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
DA2's combat mechanics were solid and a huge improvement over DA:O. Animations and pathing were better, the classes were better balanced, cross-class combos added some tactical depth, systems such as aggro actually worked and weren't really buggy, etc.
DA2's encounter design was what made the combat not all that fun to play.

Zore posted:

2 also did wave combat because Origins mostly boiled down to 'unload your best AOE' to nuke literally every fight in the game. I don't think it ended up working that well in practice, but it was an interesting idea and I'd like to see more encounter design expanding on it in the future tbh.
Bioware did refine it more The encounter design in DA2's DLC was pretty good and most of those encounters had waves.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ll say it. I liked sync kills

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Raygereio posted:

DA2's combat mechanics were solid and a huge improvement over DA:O. Animations and pathing were better, the classes were better balanced, cross-class combos added some tactical depth, systems such as aggro actually worked and weren't really buggy, etc.
DA2's encounter design was what made the combat not all that fun to play.

Bioware did refine it more The encounter design in DA2's DLC was pretty good and most of those encounters had waves.

What the gently caress

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’ll say it. I liked sync kills

mods??????

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I agree with that guy, DA2's combat was fun as heck. I played it immediately after DAO and really liked it. It's just every time you were done, another wave of enemies dropped in from nowhere. Do that three more times and that's the encounter. If they'd thought of ways to make the enemies more interesting to fight, it would have been great. Corypheus was interesting, iirc. There was also that one boss somewhere that did all the rock spikes all the time, that was also fun, if you like having all your party dead all the time. Also that might have been Corypheus. So there was at least one interesting boss.

e: also DA:I repeated that rock spike boss in The Descent and it was horrible and a loving chore where I ran around as Dorian for half an hour trying to revive the others while chipping away at its health when it let me. Wow that was awful

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 31, 2018

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

I agree with that guy, DA2's combat was fun as heck. I played it immediately after DAO and really liked it. It's just every time you were done, another wave of enemies dropped in from nowhere. Do that three more times and that's the encounter. If they'd thought of ways to make the enemies more interesting to fight, it would have been great. Corypheus was interesting, iirc. There was also that one boss somewhere that did all the rock spikes all the time, that was also fun, if you like having all your party dead all the time. Also that might have been Corypheus. So there was at least one interesting boss.

e: also DA:I repeated that rock spike boss in The Descent and it was horrible and a loving chore where I ran around as Dorian for half an hour trying to revive the others while chipping away at its health when it let me. Wow that was awful

Lol what the gently caress, I can't take this

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Da2 fan looking in the mirror

https://i.imgur.com/FmYjcHV.gifv

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think the boss in the deep roads had a mechanic you had to deal with by hiding behind a pillar or something. that was something

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

:golfclap:

Although I thought it was funny in DAO that at a high enough level actually using rogue abilities was much less effective than just popping on that speed power and auto-attacking because of all the ridiculous critical bonuses made that the highest DPS in the game.

At least in DA2 and DAI you had to, like, press other buttons sometimes.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zore posted:

The controls were literally identical between the two games besides auto-attack not being a thing on console until they patched it in.
2 changed targeting from "select the ability then the target" to "select the target then the ability" and I spent the entire god drat game trying and failing to remember how it worked.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think the boss in the deep roads had a mechanic you had to deal with by hiding behind a pillar or something. that was something
Also, some of the pillars were far enough away from each-other that if you split your party wrong their AI would try to leave cover even if you told them to hold.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

2 also did wave combat because Origins mostly boiled down to 'unload your best AOE' to nuke literally every fight in the game. I don't think it ended up working that well in practice, but it was an interesting idea and I'd like to see more encounter design expanding on it in the future tbh. Having to actually conserve resources in normal fights for waves and not just alpha strike everything has a nice combat feel most other rpgs don't do outside of boss fights.

Wave combat is fine but it's a little ridiculous that positioning is pointless in DA2 since enemies teleport in behind you. I'd at least like some kind of warning for where the waves are coming from.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zore posted:

Total control of your party.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I am sick of boys like Anders and Blackwall getting me all hot and then being like 'oh I'm too much trouble you can't be with me' so I dump them right then and there. Who should I bang out of Sera, Iron Bull and Josephine? In terms of entertainment value.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Bull.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That dwarf scout lady.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

snoremac posted:

I am sick of boys like Anders and Blackwall getting me all hot and then being like 'oh I'm too much trouble you can't be with me' so I dump them right then and there. Who should I bang out of Sera, Iron Bull and Josephine? In terms of entertainment value.

Bull. Especially if you saved the Chargers.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Dienes posted:

Bull. Especially if you saved the Chargers.
I let them die because it was more interesting!

I’m leaning towards Bull but wanna get Sera to the point where I can reject her for laughs. Rejecting Anders post-sex was my fave part of DA2.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

snoremac posted:

I let them die because it was more interesting!

I’m leaning towards Bull but wanna get Sera to the point where I can reject her for laughs. Rejecting Anders post-sex was my fave part of DA2.

Depending on where you are in the game, you can ride the Bull, then break it off to be with Sera. I don't think you can do it in reverse, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sleeping with Anders or Merrill then telling them to go back to their slums is probably among the more pointlessly evil choices in DA2.

#1 is still refusing to let Gamlen meet his own daughter, leaving him to die alone and miserable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dienes posted:

Depending on where you are in the game, you can ride the Bull, then break it off to be with Sera. I don't think you can do it in reverse, though.

Reverse Bull is an advanced technique that some claim to have performed, though I have my doubts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

NikkolasKing posted:

Sleeping with Anders or Merrill then telling them to go back to their slums is probably among the more pointlessly evil choices in DA2.

#1 is still refusing to let Gamlen meet his own daughter, leaving him to die alone and miserable.
Allowing a woman under your protection get sacrificed by her estranged husband in a blood magic ritual sadly can not be ranked as a pointlessly evil choice in DA2, because you don't actually have any say in that. Hawke just does it regardless.

Now, getting your sister executed, that'd be my pick for number one.