Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In fairness, Black Panther is exceptional in getting liberals ITT to argue antiracism is white genocide. Like literally half the thread is people saying we need a ‘moderated antiracism’ in the form of multiculturalism lest M. B. Jordan kill all the white babies.

What makes it unexceptional is that, in both form and content, the film argues that only certain respectable black millionaire-celebrities can be trusted with empowerment. So we’re left with an explicitly racialized variation on trickle-down economics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
On top of that, Wakanda should reveal itself and intervene for the practical purpose of self-preservation, lest another black radical be born who threatens their way of life. Any position to the left of liberals are painted as bloodthirsty for Trump's head, when that's clearly a projected desire.

Thanks for the recommendation for "Born in Flames", it sounds amazing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In fairness, Black Panther is exceptional in getting liberals ITT to argue antiracism is white genocide. Like literally half the thread is people saying we need a ‘moderated antiracism’ in the form of multiculturalism lest M. B. Jordan kill all the white babies.

What makes it unexceptional is that, in both form and content, the film argues that only certain respectable black millionaire-celebrities can be trusted with empowerment. So we’re left with an explicitly racialized variation on trickle-down economics.

For real.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Long live the king.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
black panther is a useful tool to get people who value disliking the mcu more than supporting black filmmakers to out themselves, as seen in pages 2-51 of the black panther thread. there is zero justfiable arguments.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Farg posted:

black panther is a useful tool to get people who value disliking the mcu more than supporting black filmmakers to out themselves, as seen in pages 2-51 of the black panther thread. there is zero justfiable arguments.

definitely not racist to imply that black filmmakers should be coddled by not critically discussing and judging their films the way we're allowed to do about white filmmakers

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

KVeezy3 posted:

On top of that, Wakanda should reveal itself and intervene for the practical purpose of self-preservation, lest another black radical be born who threatens their way of life. Any position to the left of liberals are painted as bloodthirsty for Trump's head, when that's clearly a projected desire.

Thanks for the recommendation for "Born in Flames", it sounds amazing.

It's not exactly amazing, but it's legit as gently caress. Working Girls and Erotique are better but not as hardcore

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

definitely not racist to imply that black filmmakers should be coddled by not critically discussing and judging their films the way we're allowed to do about white filmmakers

Like I said, anything coming back in response is baseless, and is just writhing around in its own hypocrisy

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Farg posted:

Like I said, anything coming back in response is baseless, and is just writhing around in its own hypocrisy

Including your posts. Woof. Imagine being so fragilely tied to your choice of franchise, you'll throw racism at any criticism to stifle it.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Farg posted:

The contortions you've gone through to avoid discussing the film are very impressive: a discussion about non-discussion for black blockbuster directors.

DeimosRising posted:

It's not exactly amazing, but it's legit as gently caress. Working Girls and Erotique are better but not as hardcore

Thanks, I'll keep these in mind.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 1, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Farg posted:

Congrats. This is the worst and dumbest conceivable take.

Supporting black film makers by praising them for making bland, forgettable but adequate films is not...anything that should be encouraged.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Exceptional movies typically don't make a billion dollars.

Ever seen Born In Flames? It's a movie about the villains in this movie.
The characters in Born in Flames aren't authoritarians. Killmonger is.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

Congrats. This is the worst and dumbest conceivable take.

Supporting black film makers by praising them for making bland, forgettable but adequate films is not...anything that should be encouraged.

i feel that the incredible success and hope a movie like Black Panther brings will mean that it will certainly not be being forgotten soon. I am also certainly not avoiding talking about the movie, as I discuss Black Panther in the Black Panther thread.

Its telling that movies like Phantom Thread (PT) or the Shape of Water are not included in discussions like these (gee i wonder why)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Farg posted:

i feel that the incredible success and hope a movie like Black Panther brings will mean that it will certainly not be being forgotten soon. I am also certainly not avoiding talking about the movie, as I discuss Black Panther in the Black Panther thread.

Its telling that movies like Phantom Thread (PT) or the Shape of Water are not included in discussions like these (gee i wonder why)

What the gently caress point are you even groping towards? Discussions like what?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

What the gently caress point are you even groping towards? Discussions like what?

perhaps im letting it get away from me, if so my fault. i think i could better state the point i'm trying to make, my pov on it if i could clearly understand where you/ya'll stand?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

Black Panther is a big deal regardless what CineD thinks of it I believe is what the point is.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"CineD" (who exactly?) has not been denying that Black Panther is a big deal. The discussion has in fact centred around how this reactionary blockbuster movie is something of a big deal.

e:

Farg posted:

Obama is a useful tool to get people who value disliking liberalism more than supporting black politicians to out themselves... there is zero justfiable arguments.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 1, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Snowman_McK posted:

Yes but when did Tyler Perry come into the convo??? :confused:

VvV
Fair. I'll qualify that with "Tyler Perry's Medeaverse movies"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 1, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

you can call tyler perry a lot of things but you lose me at 'forgettable'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Maybe more 'regrettable'

I'm not sure if the usual mockeries I've seen on them have taken this angle, but iirc basically the only reason Tyler Perry has an audience is because he's one of the only filmmakers to acknowledge that black middle-class people exist. (though post-2008 I figure they're an endangered species. Again.)

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Didn't you hear? What black people have been missing is hope and Black Panther's success in the market is giving them that.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It is possible to praise the metapolitical elements of Black Panther's success wrt representation of black talent both in front of and behind the camera, while simultaneously being critical of the political elements of the film as a text.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Obama is a useful tool to get people who value disliking liberalism more than supporting black politicians to out themselves... there is zero justfiable arguments.

Look, I know you people believe Obama is a Muslim and an African, but that doesn't mean he's a Black Panther.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

It is possible to praise the metapolitical elements of Black Panther's success wrt representation of black talent both in front of and behind the camera, while simultaneously being critical of the political elements of the film as a text.

This exactly. I'm happy that black panther exists and what it means to people, but it really falls short in that it is very timid in its criticism against whitey.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I think it's very pointedly not centered on white people.

This seems to be the aspect people have the most trouble coming to grips with.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

sean10mm posted:

How so? The movie is explicitly concerned with white supremacy, and by extension "white people".

And it's already been established that white people love the movie, so it's hardly a problem for them.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 1, 2018

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

sean10mm posted:

I think it's very pointedly not centered on white people.

It's not centered on white people, but it sure puts the consequences of their behavior front and center.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

And then blames black people for not picking up the pieces. Exceptional? Or just another Hollywood film. Check out The color purple for a better take on this theme.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

CelticPredator posted:

Black Panther is a big deal regardless what CineD thinks of it I believe is what the point is.

But only us blacks hold it in high regard and continued patronage so it doesn’t matter.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I’m saying Black Panther is a great film with a flawed political message but nevertheless is extremely important to black peoples world wide and will not be forgotten or dismissed overtime as another super hero schlock. If you disagree then you are racist.

Hyperbole. But not really.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 1, 2018

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

It's nice that we have someone ITT to speak for all blacks. Very comforting.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

gohmak posted:

I’m saying Black Panther is a great film with a flawed political message but nevertheless is extremely important to black peoples world wide and will not be forgotten or dismissed overtime as another super hero schlock. If you disagree then you are racist.

We already know your point, and the point of trumpeting Disney’s “exceptional” profit, is to claim that this is the first ‘good’ black film ever made - and that Coogler is the first ‘good’ black director, Tchalla the first ‘good’ black hero, etc.

This good is defined exclusively in terms of popularity-profitability - cross-demographic appeal, etc.

Your implicit point is that Black Panther will not be forgotten by whites, because it is profitable for whites.

Of course there are other black heroes, films, directors... but whites don’t like those. They weren’t good enough. They weren’t popular-profitable enough.

Timeless Appeal posted:

The characters in Born in Flames aren't authoritarians. Killmonger is.

That’s not what ‘authoritarianism’ means.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 1, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

gohmak posted:

If you disagree then you are racist.

You're wrong, but do you.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The same thing happened in the Wonder Woman thread.

Some dude was saying that Wonder Woman was the first successful female superhero movie, and it’s sexist not to praise it.

It turned out that Wonder Woman was actually just the first such movie that ever appealed to him, it was the only one that he personally cared about; and so he was profoundly ignorant of indifferent to the long history of female directors and female heroes in cinema.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

It's only natural at our current stage of society to perceive commodification as the definitive form of art's value. As I refresh boxofficemojo.com, I can feel Black Panther becoming more exceptional and society becoming more and more free.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gohmak posted:

But only us blacks hold it in high regard and continued patronage so it doesn’t matter.

It’s pretty well liked across the board though? :shrug:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

It’s pretty well liked across the board though? :shrug:

Surely you can imagine lots of pop media this applies to.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I’m saying blank man is a great film with a flawed political message but nevertheless is extremely important to black peoples world wide and will not be forgotten or dismissed overtime as another super hero schlock. If you disagree then you are racist.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's no argument to be had, that's just true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Of course there are other black heroes, films, directors... but whites don’t like those. They weren’t good enough. They weren’t popular-profitable enough.
Outside of, like, Meteorman or Blankman, the closest Big AA Hero film is likely Blade. That film has the benefit of providing us a look at the between-worlds experience of AA and mixed race AAs in the U.S. the inability to live fully in either world (as emphasized by his use of serum) creates a situation where the hero never fully finds a place to exist.

BP is unapologetically Afrocentric in a way that hasn't been seen or attempted in popular media to this scale. The crossover success is validation because of normalizing effects, and the financial success rebuts the talking point that those films aren't of value to a film company.

But the inclination to deligitimize the importance of the film or reduce the achievement of the director is dishearenting. Linda Rondstat's 'Canciones de mi Padre' wasnt hailed by a generation of Mexican Americans because of its technical innovation, but because it created cultural validity.
There's also an uncomfortable subtext where the director created something of significance, but because it was genre work it is somehow a less valid achievement

• Locked thread