Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
While there's still no real news on the show's return, I've noticed a lot of Launchpad bumpers on DisneyXD and the app featuring several gags from episodes that have yet to air.

Also, DT 2017 director/writer Dana Terrace is going on to work on her own show Owl House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
just a minor :goonsay: but Dana was only a director on Ducktales, not a writer (though not to downplay her or anything, I do think Owl House looks interesting)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
My bad, I thought she had story credits too. :shobon:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
you might be mixing her up with Noelle Stevenson, who had a story credit on the pilot and co-wrote the Neverrest ep

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What is the status of this show? I thought I remember hearing that like a whole long season was ordered (20+ episodes). Is that true and they're just still making the rest + Disney's unknowable scheduling, or is it in some kind of limbo where they've aired all the episodes that were ordered/made and we don't know if anymore will be ordered or not?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

counterfeitsaint posted:

What is the status of this show? I thought I remember hearing that like a whole long season was ordered (20+ episodes). Is that true and they're just still making the rest + Disney's unknowable scheduling, or is it in some kind of limbo where they've aired all the episodes that were ordered/made and we don't know if anymore will be ordered or not?

It's already been renewed for a second season, so clearly Disney wants it to continue. However, we still have no idea when the rest of the first season will air.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still at the same attitude of releasing episodes like they're releasing hostages. (better than Cartoon Network, who release episodes like Italians release hostages)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It seems like every series does that kind of poo poo these days. I know streaming services tend to promote viewing in batches, but I don't see any other reason to be so irregular.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

It seems like every series does that kind of poo poo these days. I know streaming services tend to promote viewing in batches, but I don't see any other reason to be so irregular.

This is why I'm actually kind of a fan of Voltron's bisected seasons that come out like three months apart, and then six months apart from the end one block to the next. It seems to balance the workload of actually making the show with letting people actually watch episodes of it in a timely manner. Like, apparently work had been underway on DuckTales for nearly a year and a half before the first episode even went to air

Though stuff like Cartoon Network sitting on entire seasons of Steven Universe and Adventure Time for no reason I will never understand even if it's explained to me in bullet point detail.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Okay, but here's an internal bulletin explaining why complete with bulleted list:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC consensus in the SU thread is more or less that CN is trying to emulate Disney's scheduling voodoo, extremely badly, and their TV schedulers literally do not give a poo poo.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Laregly because they could poo poo in a bag, film them setting it alight, label the video as a Teen Titans Go episdoe and still break even.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Kids are the main audience and kids will gladly watch reruns forever. I'm sure whatever arcane logic Disney bases their release schedule on has a lot of money and very smart people behind figuring out the optimal rate at which to trickle out content.

It'll be interesting to see if anything changes when they roll out their streaming service.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

nine-gear crow posted:

This is why I'm actually kind of a fan of Voltron's bisected seasons that come out like three months apart, and then six months apart from the end one block to the next. It seems to balance the workload of actually making the show with letting people actually watch episodes of it in a timely manner. Like, apparently work had been underway on DuckTales for nearly a year and a half before the first episode even went to air

Though stuff like Cartoon Network sitting on entire seasons of Steven Universe and Adventure Time for no reason I will never understand even if it's explained to me in bullet point detail.

In contrast, I love the Order of the Stick schedule just because the goon cargo cult that sprung around it amuses me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Bee posted:

In contrast, I love the Order of the Stick schedule just because the goon cargo cult that sprung around it amuses me.

I hope the rich duck is okay. :ohdear:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Little Update on the :norway: side: The Episode that is supposed to be Episode 4 (if you count "Woo-Hoo!" as two episodes like we do) is indeed numbered as Episode 4 over here, instead of being numbered Episode 10.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Some people on Reddit are reporting that a new episode aired today in Sweden and Russia. The Russian one's in English but only available in most other places in the form of :filez:.

Title: The Missing Links of Moorshire.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

IIRC consensus in the SU thread is more or less that CN is trying to emulate Disney's scheduling voodoo, extremely badly, and their TV schedulers literally do not give a poo poo.
But isn't the thing about Disney's scheduling voodoo that nobody understands why it works?

The Bee posted:

At least there is a single RSS feed for the Order of the Stick, so you can just subscribe to that and just not care until you get a notification that something got out. That's what I do!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

X_Toad posted:

But isn't the thing about Disney's scheduling voodoo that nobody understands why it works?

That's probably part of the problem, yes.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

That's probably part of the problem, yes.
Are there recent series aside from Gravity Falls (and apparently Ducktales?)that have suffered from that scheduling voodoo? Or is it just something they do for series that are only lightly serialized? Because I didn't hear anything about such schedules for Star Wars Rebels.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Arguably all their series suffer from it some degree, but Star Vs. for example has got it surprisingly light. Its biggest problem is the hiatuses after each batch of episodes and the complete lack of communication on when the show will return. Gravity Falls meanwhile was a hot mess, but that's as much down to the production lagging behind schedule as it is Disney scheduling voodoo.

There's no excuse for Ducktales, though. It's their new big name cartoon, was doing incredibly well and here we are, on a nonsense hiatus with no idea when it'll start airing again. Oh except it is airing, in countries that aren't the US. Where they're already showing new episodes. From the second half of the season, which is no doubt complete if it's getting dubbed already.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ruflux posted:

Arguably all their series suffer from it some degree, but Star Vs. for example has got it surprisingly light. Its biggest problem is the hiatuses after each batch of episodes and the complete lack of communication on when the show will return. Gravity Falls meanwhile was a hot mess, but that's as much down to the production lagging behind schedule as it is Disney scheduling voodoo.

There's no excuse for Ducktales, though. It's their new big name cartoon, was doing incredibly well and here we are, on a nonsense hiatus with no idea when it'll start airing again. Oh except it is airing, in countries that aren't the US. Where they're already showing new episodes. From the second half of the season, which is no doubt complete if it's getting dubbed already.

Eh, Star has still gotten it pretty bad-there was nearly a year between the end of the first season and the start of the second season, and last year was exclusively made up of lengthy hiatuses stretched between frantic episode dumps. It's airing regularly now, at least, but there's probably going to be a lengthy hiatus between Seasons 3 and 4.

Still though, it could be worse. Poor Steven Universe :smith:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Eh, Star has still gotten it pretty bad-there was nearly a year between the end of the first season and the start of the second season, and last year was exclusively made up of lengthy hiatuses stretched between frantic episode dumps. It's airing regularly now, at least, but there's probably going to be a lengthy hiatus between Seasons 3 and 4.

Still though, it could be worse. Poor Steven Universe :smith:

On the bright side, Star vs. has been consistently able to put out a full season in a 12-month period. The hiatuses only feel long because the bomb format compresses the airing schedule.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Not sure where it came from, but there's a new episode of DuckTales out there now and it features a pair of colorful ponies with suspiciously familiar voice actors.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X_Toad posted:

Are there recent series aside from Gravity Falls (and apparently Ducktales?)that have suffered from that scheduling voodoo? Or is it just something they do for series that are only lightly serialized? Because I didn't hear anything about such schedules for Star Wars Rebels.

Nah they dicked around with Rebels real hard too, it's just what Disney does.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Not sure where it came from, but there's a new episode of DuckTales out there now and it features a pair of colorful ponies with suspiciously familiar voice actors.

I really liked their running gag.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I can sympathise with Flintheart Glomgold's golf performance.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
No airdates, but at least there's titles?

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/980150677023404032

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ooooooohhh shiiiit, the Spear of Selene already?

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 1, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And on an unrelated note; the golf episode may seem unremarkable, but it kinda demonstrates the strength of the new show's specific formula; specifically, with the triplets now having different personalities and interests. In the old show and comics, the triplets would all generally have to be either interested in, bored by or content to watch Scrooge's golf game, while here, you see a diversity of reactions; Huey's clinical interest out of an obligation (and coping mechanism for dealing with magical shenanigans), Dewey's original dismissal turning into genuine interest as Scrooge puts in effort to get him involved (and the resulting conflict when Scrooge wants to do things his way) and Louie's boredom turning into opportunism as he's willing to put up with Glomgold if he's paid enough. (and ha, Tiger the world's best golf player)

Between them and Webby you basically get the full range of reactions when introducing people to a sport; interest as spectator, interest as player, disinterest and wildly misplaced enthusiasm. The newcomers adapt to the culture of the sport and vice versa, and there's reminders that to even the old guard, there were old ways that were different and alien.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I agree and that's a good post (And a great episode, probably one of my favorites thus far), but you may want to throw that in spoiler tags since the episode isn't legally out yet.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

Ooooooohhh shiiiit, the Spear of Selene already?

:stoked:

Also, yeah. Spoiler that.

eatenmyeyes fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 5, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Haven't watched the episode yet, but I am kinda digging all the mounting subtle implications that Louie is on track to become some kind of Gen-Z version of Glomgold in like 20 years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Haven't watched the episode yet, but I am kinda digging all the mounting subtle implications that Louie is on track to become some kind of Gen-Z version of Glomgold in like 20 years.

Interesting take on it... You might not be wrong, but the episode highlights a key difference between them; that Glomgold is petty, sociopathic and doesn't know when to quit, while Louie simply won't engage in a venture that he won't get any obvious gain out of, though he will react when those he cares about are threatened or exploited. And he can display quite good judgement there; he knows he can milk Glomgold for tips because nobody else wants to work for him on short notice, and puts up with Glomgold's tantrums by withholding his labour til he gets paid. Louie is lazy, but also smart, and that can be an excellent combination for getting through life; don't do more work than you have to, but also make sure you get the most out of the work you do.

On the episode itself, Glomgold's tendency to overthink things and ignore common sense, despite having good enough business acumen (combined with ruthlessness) to become a billionaire, is clearly shown even in his golf game, where at Louie's accidental advice his performance immediately improves when he stops overthinking things and just focuses on the task in front of him. To an extent, Scrooge suffers that, too; the druid golf course is designed to throw curveballs and require risk-taking, which Scrooge's safe play is very poorly suited for compared to Dewey's talent and beginner's luck.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

There's another episode out there, and it's got some bad news about Duckworth.

It also features the most cliché murder mystery twist of all time once you stop and think about it.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

It also features the most cliché murder mystery twist of all time once you stop and think about it.

It's on the chalkboard. I paused to read it and got spoiled.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Rumor has it that episodes are officially returning in May on the Disney Channel.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hey, he came back! I hope this means Ghost Duckworth will be a recurring member of the cast going forward.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Rumor has it that episodes are officially returning in May on the Disney Channel.

https://twitter.com/DuckTales/status/983721398572023809

Does this mean new episodes starting on May 1st, or just... what?

Also, RIP Chuck McCann, AKA the original Duckworth and Burger/Bouncer Beagle (and other voices) as he died the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

proud to have unlocked the new trailer